8.5 Excellent

• Full Hookup Full Hookup no
  • Electric (50 AMP) Electric (50 AMP) no
  • Sewer Sewer no
  • WiFi WiFi ?
  • Pool Access Pool Access ?
  • Beach Beach yes
  • Boating Boating yes

Ask fellow campers about "Tugaloo State Park" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $35.00

We booked premium lakeside campsite, but got to the campsite a little late and there were only 2 premium sites left. But the campsite we got was actually pretty nice. We didn't have a clear lake view, but we had direct lake access and were able to launch our paddle boards right from our campsite. And it was a pull-thru site. The surface was not completely even so we had to put some leveling blocks on one side of the trailer. There are over 100 campsites in this park and it is a little crammed. Most campsites have just enough space for one trailer and one vehicle. If you have a huge RV you may want to stay away from sites 47-56, that road has a very narrow turn, almost like a U-turn! Ours is 22ft and we were able to make the turn but I can't imagine making the turn with a bigger trailer! The roads are super narrow and need a lot of work (pot holes, bumps, uneven). In fact they are repaving now, and a portion of the campsites was closed, so looks like they're working on that. The restroom and shower were pretty clean, but given this park is a lake park, you'd expect some dirt in the showers... I didn't notice mildew or that sort of dirtiness. Lake Hartwell is a huge lake, and there are many motorized boats. We stayed near the shore as we paddled since the wakes from the boats were a bit too much for us. It was almost sold out when we stayed (August) but I can imagine this place will be less crowded once swimming season is over. We might come back during the colder season. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Tight Turns, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $28.00

This was our first stay at Tugaloo and it will definitely not be the last. We were very pleased with nearly everything and, had the fish been biting, it would have been perfect! We thought that the sites were laid out very well and the bath house we used was practically brand new and spotlessly clean. The premium sites are definitely worth the little extra $ as they are very close to the lake front and more private than most. Previous reviewers have complained about the rough roads and they are rough, but this is a campground with kids running around and mother nature providing some speed bumps seems highly appropriate. People ignored the speed limits on the main roads at the park and would probably do the same in the camping area given the chance. Park staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall, this was one of our best camping experiences and we will return often. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Fire Ring

We haven't "rated" all of the sites at the campground, but our favorites were 3, 5, 7 and 58 - all excellent. Sites 6, 8, 11, 12, 13 and 14 were very good.

Date of Stay: February, 2018 - $27.00

Online reservation was easy. Last minute change by phone went very well. Arrived and was greeted by a very friendly ranger who seemed really glad we were there. I also met a number of rangers / maintenance people who were all just super. Just started full timing recently and this was my first stop after leaving my home of 21 years with my 35' 5th wheel. When I got to the camping area, I was a bit nervous by the tight roads with tight turns, and tree root bumps. The most friendly campground host suggested I just stop and take my time walking around and pick a spot. I did just that and found a beautiful place. The drive and park was a bit intimidating, but here I am, happy as can be. When I made the reservation, I didn't' realize that there were no sewer hooks up, my fault. So after a short time I had to pull out, dump, pull back in. Actually a blessing since I got more experience driving around the tight park. So we just used the park bath rooms and showers which were very clean. Our site was on a hill in a pine forest overlooking the lake, absolutely beautiful. Given the time of year, my wife, my dog, and I had the park mostly to ourselves. A few miles of hiking trails gave me views of a number of different birds (I love finding new birds) to running into deer many times. Being my first stop, I know little but I do know this. My wife, my dog and I really loved this place. Perhaps If lucky, I will return to camp host one day. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Site 64

Gumlog BBQ and Fish Lodge. I have given up fried foods but the catfish on the bone extra brown was wonderful. Wife had ribs. Biggest meatiest ribs ever. Good service. Lavonia GA is a nice little town.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $35.00

Campground was great. As other reviewers have mentioned, roads are quite bumpy due to roots. Be aware of this and go slow and it shouldn't be a problem. We stayed at a premium waterfront site & it was well worth the $. Sites were shaded , restrooms were very clean, cable channels were plentiful , showers were hot & great pressure.. Hosts were friendly. Only reason we didn't rate it a "10" was due to the road conditions & the lake was down about 10 feet due to a recent drain. There was a large tree that had fallen on the shore & had been there a while. When the lake was up I can imagine it would be a nusiance for swimmers at that site. Other than those minor things, it was a wonderful stay & we will definitely return! We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Featured Campgrounds Near Tugaloo State Park

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $38.00

Waterfront sites are "premium" and worth it. The lake view from the site is spectacular. The terraced sites have a narrow and bumpy (tree roots) access road. The beach is gravel and red clay. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Rent a pontoon boat at Harbor Light Marina.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $32.00

Very nice park and area. Would have given a higher rating, but, the condition of the roads in the campground are terrible! Tree root heaves and no evidence of any repairs even being attempted. Water pressure was good, but, there would be rust color first thing in the morning. Plenty of grey water dumps. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Motorhome.

Tight Turns, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $30.00

Very nice quiet place to stay! Especially if you opt for an off-water site. You can reserve a site but not a specific one. It's first come first serve which is nice. Camp hosts are very friendly and helpful. Lot spacing was spacious with some shade. Site surfaces are gravel, featuring a fire ring and picnic table. This was our second stay and we enjoyed it. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: February, 2016 - $35.00

As previously noted, interior roads are very narrow with tight radius turns and are badly broken up by huge tree roots. Potholes and crumbling pavement abounds. But it is a wonderfully quiet park with good AT&T cell phone coverage and a wonderful lakefront setting. Many of the sites are waterfront and the rate I paid was for a waterfront pull-thru site. No traffic noise, no trains, no nearby airports, factories or other sources of noise. Trees might give some sat tv owners fits as they are plentiful and tall. Large motor home or fifth wheel would have trouble with some roads. Some sites have very limited maneuvering room. Park staff was friendly and helpful and restrooms were very clean. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Avoid SR 84 approaching park as it has a very narrow unpaved section. There's a convenience store very close to park entrance. They have two gas pumps that are very easy to drive a trailer through.

Date of Stay: September, 2014 - $25.00

Only the condition of the roads keep this from being a "10" park. Excellent staffing. Generous sites have newly laid crushed stone base. Bathrooms very clean, well maintained. Lots of shades from lots of trees. A park employee told us that they have plans budgeted to repair the roads which have been damaged by the tree roots. Plenty of parking available at the recreational sites. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: October, 2013 - $27.00

On Hartwell reservoir with South Carolina across the lake, the lake being the dammed up Chattooga river which shortly becomes the Savannah River. The lake side sites have a great lake view along the seawalls. More sites are further uphill among lots of trees. Some sites level, many sloped and irregular needing RV leveling. The bathhouse had very nice tiled floors, and white paneled walls and ceilings. A real negative are the paved CG roads with many sections badly tree root upheaved making a very lurching jarring stress on your RV. Be careful. Really needs road repair. Good for an overnight and for boaters. Give it a 8 for poor CG roads and unlevel sites. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2012 - $24.00

Very nice State run campground, sites are big, bathrooms clean, good showers, and dumpsters placed throughout the campground for easy removal of trash. Lake views are terrific. Staff is very friendly. Roads a bit bumpy. We will stay here again. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2011 - $20.00

Only drawback here is you can't get a site until you check in. You can't reserve a specific site. Some locals got here early and put a tent on a premium site to "hold" it and then brought in a giant 5th wheel at 10pm. They should not allow holding a place with a tent. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Tent Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2011 - $26.00

The state park is situated on a peninsula and is quite large, however the campground itself is laid out so that it is somewhat crowded. Since some loops are on a hill-side, there are many sites which feature great views of the open water of beautiful lake Hartwell. Some roads are rough and sites can be small. On Memorial Day it was very busy, lots of kids. Good place to hike, excellent picnic area, activity field, swim beach. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: April, 2011 - $30.00

Great park, great facilities. We love this campground. Family friendly, good fishing, lots of trees and shade, spacious sites. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2010 - $26.00

I am a big GA state park fan and am working my way around to all parks. We have about 10 left. Tugaloo was a nice park but extremely crowded. It caters more to tents and popups than to larger motorhomes. Most sites had cars sticking out all over the roadway and had large groups camping together. The lake is beautiful and the CG host was very friendly. After parking and getting hooked up, he and his wife drove up on their golf cart and suggested a site with a better view (right next to them). We took them up on it and moved. Overall I enjoyed this park but prefer some of the quieter GA state parks. We camped at Tugaloo State Park in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Tugaloo State Park

Are you affiliated with Tugaloo State Park ?