St. Louis N.E. / I-270 / Granite City KOA

Granite City, Illinois

3157 West Chain of Rocks Road
Granite City, Illinois 62040

Ask fellow campers about "St. Louis N.E. / I-270 / Granite City KOA" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: May, 2014 - $46.00

Extremely hard to find this park. Clerk gave me the wrong directions and we ended up in a parking lot filled with water-filled holes. We drove through one accidentally and bent our exhaust pipe. I called again for directions. Luckily, this person helped me find my way. If I'd kept going, I would have encountered a narrow Route 66 dead-end bridge which is never good when driving a 38 foot motorhome with tow car. The campground is in an unattractive industrial area. I knew this from reading previous reviews. I didn't think the area could be all that bad. It was, but I had no other options nearby. Hook ups were ok, but the water pressure was low. Wifi was terrible. Cable was a joke. Throw in the barking dogs next door and the bus/truck engines behind and we had a terrible night. Luckily, it was just one night. Sadly, there were many permanent units, and I feel sorry for those folks who have to put up with this long-term. I'd stay all night at a rest stop before I would return here. Doesn't the KOA franchise have any standards? We camped at St. Louis N.E. / I-270 / Granite City KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2012 - $46.00

We stayed here Sept 26, 2012 and will NEVER stay here again. It was dirty with all kinds of things lying all over the grounds. Noisy party people were yelling, "Bring me my wine bottle!" Staff did not tell us we couldn't use 2 laptops, and we needed to use 2 of them! We were packed in like sardines. Staff was not friendly, not even a thank you when we registered. Its located is in a heavy equipment area, scary! Just not a good experience at all. *Shivers* creepy! We camped at St. Louis N.E. / I-270 / Granite City KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2011 - $35.00

I would never stay here or recommend this place to anyone! When we arrived, the site they assigned to us smelled of sewer. We asked to be moved and the next site still smelled slightly of sewer. I came to realize that there was nowhere in the campground that didn't smell. There is also a train that runs near the campground, all night long. This kept waking us up. Not a pleasant experience for us. We camped at St. Louis N.E. / I-270 / Granite City KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2009 - $24.00

This KOA is in a very urban environment. Be aware of this. There is nothing scenic about this location, though it is convenient for St Louis. The RV sites are tightly packed and the park itself is quite small. There is ONE restroom for the entire campground! Three toilets, three showers. There was always a line in the ladies. They were reasonably clean, but very heavily used. The playground is nice and the pool was in good condition. We were tent camping and had one major problem -- the trains!!! There were four trains through during the night and the campground is literally right next to the tracks, separated only by a hedge from the railroad tracks. The earth shook and vibrated for long periods of time, the whistle was right outside of your tent (because of a nearby crossing), and it was an absolutely terrifying experience. I got approximately two hours of sleep. My son cried and held his hands over his ears each time that he was awakened by the vibrations of another train approaching. I would never ever stay at this campground again and would highly recommend any tent campers to steer well clear. The tent area is the closest part of the campground to the train tracks! We camped at St. Louis N.E. / I-270 / Granite City KOA in a Tent.

Featured Campgrounds Near St. Louis N.E. / I-270 / Granite City KOA

Date of Stay: June, 2009 - $98.00

We planned a large family trip (5hrs away) to St.Louis Zoo and camping Friday and Saturday nights. Our group was 21 people, 14 adults and 7 kids, we had one pop-up camper and the rest were tents. I made the reservations by phone to the campground almost 4 weeks in advance. I was told that we would pay a group rate for the tent camping of $6.50 per person per night,(15 people) plus the pop-up. That was fine, so I made the reservations, gave credit card for pop-up site and again for tent camping, like you do at other campgrounds. Then before we even left for the trip I got my credit card statement and was already charged for one night on the pop-up and tents, never had that done before, usually have had them run the card when I arrive. Okay, that was fine. I figured out what each family was going to need to pay for the trip and had given them all their totals. First thing was campground looked pretty nice, then we seen the sign for NO CAMPFIRES! What is camping with no campfires! We planned on stick roasting hot dogs at night! Okay, we could live with that, weren’t real happy about it but would deal with it. Sat around about an hour just relaxing and then started setting up camp. The next few people in our group arrived and when the checked in to see where are sites where they were asked if they were scouts, they said no, they were with my group. The lady at the desk (owner) then showed them to our site. She pulled up in her golf cart, said to me that there was a problem with the reservations; she thought we were a scout group. I told her I didn’t know where that came from because as you could tell we didn’t look like a scout group. She then said she could give us the sites for that night at that rate but, the next night would have to be at a regular rate. I said okay, I would have to figure that out, after figuring it, it was going to cost an additional $50-60 if we took one of the tents down and stuck people in other tents. She then drove her cart through our camp site; stop by where we had a beer box sitting looked and drove off. Most of our group is well over the drinking age. Well we talked about it for a while and tried to look on online on our phones to see if we could find another campground close by (remember we are already half set up). She came back with the credit card slip for me to sign where she had credited back the one night and figured the next at the new rate. I asked her way we had to pay for their mistake and she just said we though you were a scout group. Everyone was pretty upset because we had budgeted X amount of money for the trip and now had to pay more for their mistake. My husband and I decided it would be a pain to take down tents and pack everything up and move to another campground (when all we wanted to do was have a relaxing fun trip) so He and I would just pay the difference. I went up to pay the difference and she did give us a little discount but, no apology, and it is still the idea that it was there mistake and we had to pay for it, that’s why we make reservations. As for the campground, it was pretty clean, pool was nice, the no campfires and quit hours 8pm – 9am (13hours) were very different. I would not recommend this campground and will not be staying here again. We do a lot of large group camp trips. We have done a once or twice a year trip to Wisc., for the last 6 years, that includes 40-60 people and have never had this kind of problem. Our age group for this trip was between 3 months – 55 years old. If you are a family that just likes to relax and have fun as a family, I would look for a different campground than this one. We camped at St. Louis N.E. / I-270 / Granite City KOA in a Tent.

Date of Stay: August, 2006 - $35.00

Among the worst...It looked so bad, we DIDN'T even stay here; it looked so bad, being in the middle of an industrial area. The place looked tired and sad, with plenty of older units cluttering up the grounds. To be honest, we were kind of scared when we drove in. Staff very unhelpful...told that wifi was down, when asked when it would be back up...told "any day now" even though we were also told it had been down for many months. Collected our deposit and pulled right out...KOA needs to pull this franchise. We camped at St. Louis N.E. / I-270 / Granite City KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Featured Campgrounds Near St. Louis N.E. / I-270 / Granite City KOA

Are you affiliated with St. Louis N.E. / I-270 / Granite City KOA ?