Swan Lake State Park

Carroll, Iowa

22676 Swan Lake Dr
Carroll, Iowa 51401

• Restrooms Restrooms ?

Ask fellow campers about "Swan Lake State Park" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $19.00

So, this is a hard park to comment on. Let me say first that the camp hosts were great. The lake and the surrounding green space areas are very nice. You can rent canoes, paddle boats and kayaks just a short walk from the RV sites. And, in the part of the RV park that we were in (upper level), there were great old trees giving us fantastic shade. We wanted a full hookup and got the last site available (the park is first come - no reservations). The sites are all gravel with a picnic table. So, this is where it gets hard to explain. We had to pull in truck first (pulling a 32' fifth wheel) to have the utilities on the correct side. But, the site was not a pull through! And, we needed to unhook to go into town. If the row of sites in front of me had had campers in them, I would not have been able to get my truck out after unhooking. But I was able to pull out because a couple of the sites were still open in front of our site. When I returned a couple of hours later, only one site remained open. So, I entered through that site and got my truck into position so that I could hook up and then back out, the next day, the way that I originally came in. There was a small space running between my row of sites and the ones in front. That is why I was able to get my truck back into position so that I could hook back up. When we left the next day, all the sites in front of us were filled. The only way to leave was to back out, which was really tough because the people in the sites behind me were now parking their vehicles partially in the road, which was pretty narrow to begin with. Most of the sites in the park are not full hookups. And, if you don't need full hookups, there are some better sites than what we had. The park sites are small and just not designed for the larger RVs being used nowadays. The town of Carroll (about 10,000 pop) is about 3 miles away and has plenty of amenities. Swan Lake in total is nice and I would still recommend it, even with the RV site challenges. We camped at Swan Lake State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Other
Not big enough for my 5th wheel

Good grocery store and pharmacy in Carroll and several good restaurants. Diesel fuel station very close to the park.

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $18.00

I believe this county park caters to the residents of Carroll County. Check-in time is 5:30 AM and check-out time is 6:30 PM. We have seen a number of people drop off their rig early in the morning then go to work. Then come back to this park after work with their family, have dinner then leave. At least a quarter of the sites had rigs on them but not used. I would image that during the summer almost all of the sites would be taken by local residents.

As you drive into Swan Lake the lower level campground will be on your left. This loop is mostly treeless and near the water's edge. This section has water and electrical (30/20 amp) utilities but no sewer. The upper loop is at the top of the short hill. The upper loop is treed (well pruned) and has FHU with 30/20 amp electrical service. A dump station was just built but not very well thought out.

The lay of the land is unusual. There is gravel road in the middle of the loop but you would not know it unless you look very closely. All of the interior roads and sites are on gravel and none are level. The sewer in the upper loop is flush with the ground and difficult to find. The water spigot and electrical box is shared between two sites. The electrical voltage was good - hovering around 121 but there were not many people using it. All sites had a picnic table and a fire ring. There was good Verizon reception for both WiFi and phone service. Swan Lake has WiFi but it was very weak.

There are two bath houses, both located in the upper section of the park. This was the standard brick building with one shower in each bath house. The showers were on a timer via a push button and the water temperature could not be regulated. We chose not to us the bathrooms.

It rained heavily for a few days during our stay but there were very few puddles. There was some train noise but not bad. It was quiet and dark at night. We would only come back to this campground off season. We have a 32 foot 5th wheel. We camped at Swan Lake State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: July, 2012 - $19.00

Hosts very pleasant. Lots of trees and a nice area. We did not notice the Christmas tree and children next door, but they were OK after awhile. Water hook up was a long way, so we used our own. We camped at Swan Lake State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2012 - $12.00

Stayed here for a month in July, 2012. Site host was great. Long-term spaces are pull through, but most are very tight for a 36' 5er (getting out was a You-Tube moment), internet was just fair, TV reception was OK, but not great, really nice neighbors mostly, pet friendly. The best camping site are mostly tent sites or not full service sites, but lake is great with beautiful evening walks. We camped at Swan Lake State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Featured Campgrounds Near Swan Lake State Park

Date of Stay: July, 2007 - $15.00

22811 Swan Lake Dr. Carroll. Big lake with reportedly with big fish. Boats available, small beach. Full service sites are 30 amp and a little tight with no grass. Many semi-isolated sites that are dry or tents are scattered among the hundreds of acres of well kept park. There is a bicycle path around the stocked 150+ acre lake. Buffalo and rescued Bald Eagles are on site along with a pair of Whooping Cranes, and a nature center. I would have given it a higher rating if not for the tightness of the full service area and lack of a camp store. Our 40 footer could have used a little more room and more amps. I would, however, stay here again. We camped at Swan Lake State Park in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Swan Lake State Park

Are you affiliated with Swan Lake State Park ?