Dodge City, Kansas

Sunday: 10:00am - 8:00pm

Hours above shown for Central Time Zone

• Water Spigot Water Spigot no
  • Overflow Parking Overflow Parking no
  • ATT, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular Cellular Phone Providers Cellular Phone Providers ATT,Verizon,Sprint,T-Mobile,U.S. Cellular
  • Phone Phone yes
  • Arcade Games Arcade Games yes
  • Billiards Billiards yes
  • Casino Casino yes

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $38.00

Very nice campground. Sites were spacious with grass between sites and quiet in the back half. All pull through, gravel and level, few small trees. Wifi was intermittent and not able to stay connected. Good Verizon service tho. I had wondered if we should stop given all we read about the owner, But we decided to stop in to see if she had any openings. She was actually very nice to talk to. At least she takes the time to explain the rules whereas many places just give you the brochure and expect you to read it. Many don't and then wonder why they are asked to move, not do something or worse... leave. I can see why many think she's mean or strict. She's simply a "straight shooter." A, to the point, kind of person. Nothing wrong with that at all, just many take it the wrong way. Just like her saying, "Or Get out of Dodge." Well, that's an old saying in Dodge and it's in the theme of things being your at Gunsmoke RV right? Anyway she was nothing but nice to us. We noticed the day after we arrived that there was water standing on the ground around the water faucet. We walked up to let her know. She came right down to look it over, offered us extra hose to run over to another faucet and within a hour the plumbing crew was there to fix the broken pipe. Thankfully it was an easy fix for them and she thanked us for letting her know so quickly. We had a very pleasant stay and enjoyed chatting with her. Wish there would have been more things open in town when we were there. We arrived about a week early to see many sites in town, will have to come back to Gunsmoke RV later in the season to enjoy more of the town. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you for your awesome review.

I pride myself in great WiFi so I'm surprised it was not working as well as it should. I will look into that now that I know about it. Just surprised no one has mentioned it to me.

Thank you for all the kind words and Happy Trails,

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $36.00

Site was big and level with some shade...park is big rig friendly....all services worked good...good ATT cell signal, wifi was alright and got a lot of channels over the air....park is close to the town which makes it nice.....showers were very clean and the owner takes pride in how the park looks, we didn't mind the rules that were imposed because it enhances your stay....very easy to find and just off the main highway....would stay here again....office staff was very friendly and helpful.... We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Motorhome.

This park has that western cowboy style atmosphere....

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you for this awesome review. Reviews that tell the truth are always welcome.

So glad you enjoyed your stay here with me. I will continue to do my best to make all happy who stay here but I realize that wont ever happen.

Happy Trails and God Bless, Ruth

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $38.00

The campground was nice but the owner was another matter. We have been traveling for quite some time & been to multiple RV parks in numerous states & have never met an owner who gave you the impression she hated her job & really didn't like people. After reading her responses to other reviews its obvious our impression was absolutely correct. With a personable owner this has the potential to be a great RV park. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Motorhome.

We spent most of the day at Boot Hill & it was full of history. We really enjoyed it.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

The 3 reviews before you were all 9's and LOVED me. I get people all the time in my office who don't have time to write reviews, that come in to personal thank me. Tell me what a good job I'm doing all by myself. They are proud of me and Hug me. They pray with me. They will even ask if they can pick something up for me while they are out and about. Heck a group of 3 even got me an Easter Basket this year. I receive Thank you Cards and notes. I have people who tell me all the time that reviews like yours make them skeptical of coming here, but they are sure glad they did. Then they write GREAT review. Funny, I treat everyone the same. I greet you. Talk to you as you sign in, go over everything, ask if there is anything else I can do or answer for you. Thank you and to yell if you need anything. I help people who need jump starts or a ladder or tape.

I know I'll never make everyone happy, but its not from lack of trying.

Happy Trails, Ruth

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $38.00

Located on the Western edge of town off Hwy 50. The owner was very friendly and helpful. She seems to care about her campground. We stayed in the back where the sites are pull-through, level, easy to get into. We had 30amp which was fine for us. Since it is still early in the season and still a bit cold, the pool was not open, or the ice cream shop, but those are nice amenities. The campground is clean, has a nice playground and is in a good location for going to the casino or into town. We were able to pick up several tv stations with our antenna. We did not use the wifi. Overall a pleasant stay. Would stay here again. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Spacious, Nearby

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you for your awesome review.
So Glad you had a pleasant stay and that you will come back again.
It's always a joy to make people happy.
Thanks again, Ruth

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $36.00

This is a tough one to truly rate. First the good...Spaces were quite large for a private park which was greatly appreciated. Grounds were picked up and tidy, though the dumpster was over flowing. Understandable since it was the owners "2nd day open". We heard this phrase to many times to count while checking in. Sites were easy to pull in to, especially given "2nd day open" and not many campers. Now...I'd read some negative reviews and thought maybe people just weren't having a good day. However, we did not have a reservation, and felt a little as though we were putting the owner out to allow us to check in. The park was nearly empty, and given "2nd day open" we both felt the rate was little high for the shoulder season. Her attitude of telling us EXACTLY how I should park the rig came across condescending and as though she felt we were in 1st grade and she was the teacher giving us precise instruction. Going over "the rules", each instruction was ended with "I don't give warnings, I just give you the boot." Between hearing "2nd day open" and "give you the boot", had our credit card not already been run, we would have simply continued down the road, even if that meant spending the night in a rest stop. Got the feeling the owner doesn't particularly care for people, let alone the dogs they may travel with. There is a "dog walk" space, but zero off leash space. Picnic tables have not been painted in years and all show it. No where did I see a spot for a community campfire, let alone have one in your own space. Over all, the park is a nice park, probably just fine if you don't have animals, but we won't be returning because of owners attitude. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank You for your review Yes, my dumpster was full, but not because I didn't call. They just forgot to put me on their schedule. My picnic tables are getting worked on. In fact I have to go pick up boards on the grounds from my son in law forgetting to pick them up after replacing them. Yes, I run a very nice park and unfortunately in this me,me, me world we live in I have to tell people how to park so they don't destroy the grass. As far as the dog rules, if you are not a responsible dog owner then please just keep on going down the road. And I will give you the boot if you do not follow my dog rules that are told to you upfront when you come in. Plus they are written in the book so that you can make sure you don't forget any of them. They are also posted on my website where my brochure is printed online. Please if you have a dog and you're coming to my park read the dog rules first, if you do not like them cancel or just don't make the reservation. Ruth

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $30.00

We have stayed here quite a few times. Sometimes just for the night, and other times for 3 or 4 days when we were exploring the area. It has always been clean, the site level, and quiet. There is a great walking area for the dog. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Motorhome.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you for your awesome Review.

I wish you the very best as you travel and may they bring you back here many more times.

Happy Trails and God Bless,

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $36.00

We heard and read that this is the best RV park in Dodge City, and that's probably true. The park store seemed well-stocked and the location is convenient. The utilities worked just fine and the site was fairly level.

We understand that the owner has had some personal challenges in the last year that would impact how she manages the park. However, we found that the grounds seemed neglected and the rules, while completely understandable, were communicated in a very off-putting way. We wish her the very best in the future, but I doubt we'll return to this park. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Motorhome.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you for taking time to write a review.

If you had ran a park as long as I have, you would know you have to get peoples attention. Otherwise people think you don't mean what you say. Then there is unwanted confrontation later when they do exactly what you told them not to do. Some still do wrong anyway just to see if they can get away with it.

As far as my park being neglected, I have had all the roofs replaced this year, All New roads in the park this year, having a guy come out to cut the trees yet again this month, working on the picnic tables and coverts, as well as paint on all the buildings. I get a 8/9.5*/9 rating by Good Sam that makes me #3 in the whole state and #1 in the western KS. In the world of public opinion, I can't please everyone, But I sure do have hundreds of people who will come in my office or write me personally to compliment me.

I do thank you for your well wishes, but attacking my business sure does not make those words meaningful. (very off-putting) Kinda like calling the kettle black.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $36.00

This was our first private campground to stay in over the last several weeks and at about four times the last nightly rate we paid, it feels like a poor value. Our arrival was just after the high season ended and amenities such as the pool were closed (drained and full of wind-blown dirt and trash). We know this place runs full during the busy season because we tried to get reservations in August with about one week notice and could not. Which brings me to their reservation system, there really isn't one. I had to call the office and the person operating the park (which seemed to be suffering from burn-out) was non-committal. First saying no sites available, then saying maybe something will be available, then saying she was not really able to tell and to call back in a couple of days. After each call back after a couple of days (did it more than once) I got the same indecisiveness. It was not until after the park had essentially gone empty in the post season that I got a firm reservation. Finding the park is super easy with convenient access to the main highway thru town (used to sight-see) and the loop around town (used to get rig in and out). Checking in was an exercise in patience. We went inside and the person at the counter was on the phone and she never looked up and then took another 3 calls without acknowledging our presence. Once we were finally checked in we pretty much had our choice of sites, the park was barely 1/4 full. Hookups were solid and our driveway, while mostly dirt, was decently level. We had a clear shot at the sky for the satellite. The trains were far enough away that they were more ambiance than nuisance. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thanks for writing your review.

Yes, it is quit busy in the first part of Aug. Dodge Days and Rodeo Days and such going on. 50amp sites are very hard to get. It's only if someone leaves early that you can get in then.

I close in October because business goes down to nothing (as you saw) that's why I'm surprised by that many phone calls in a row, let alone not acknowledging you until after four of them. In fact, I will either call people back or let it go to the answering machine before I put the people off that standing right in front of me here in the office. I hope you didn't get me mixed up with someone else since it's been 5months after your stay.

Again, Thank you and Happy Trails

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $36.00

We stayed here 1 night as we passed through. We stayed in a pull through at the back side of the park which was adequate in length. The grassy area between sites is nice. The roads inside the park are rock (not gravel) and it's a little rough. The office folks are particular about their rules, but overall a nice experience. Utilities worked well and good OTA tv along with Verizon service. We would stay here again if we are in Dodge City. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Check out the Boot Hill Museum for a look back at the Dodge City of the 1800's. We also enjoyed a meal at Vallarta Mexican grill.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you for your review.

Hope you have very happy trials ahead.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $37.00

This park has very large gravel pull through sites in the rear section. Each site had a large grass area with treesto separate from other units. Utilities were easy to access. There were two ports for sewer connection to allow easy hook-up. Dog walking was along a grass path in the back of the park. Dogs on leash only outside of your unit. Good Verizon service but no Sprint service. No cable but we were able to pick up 17 Channels with antenna. Nice clean laundry room facility. Park is conveniently located to Boot Hill Museum. We would stay at this park again. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

The all inclusive tickets at Boot Hill Museum was a great deal. Dinner turned out to be surprisingly good with generous portions. The night variety show ends at 8 p.m. so be sure to bring your gate code.

As stated previously the owner is very strict about park rules. Not a bad thing but be prepared to follow exactly or you "will get the boot"

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you for your lovely review. Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Hope to see you again when you're in the area.
Happy Trails, Ruth
PMC

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $36.00

We fortunately stayed at this park for only one night. The website needs to be updated as it provides false information. There is no cable. Our electrical did not work adequately. We had a dirt area right by the steps of our RV which was a mess when it rained. The appearance of the park was sad with weeds and junk...needs so much care and maintenance. Train sounded like it was right outside the RV. Road noise was continuous. My husband was read the rules and told if we didn't pick up dog messes (which we always do) we would be booted out immediately. Also, if we stayed one minute beyond checkout time we would be charged another day on our credit card. It would have been nice to be welcomed instead of threatened with rules like we were irresponsible children. There are no discounts; we feel our money should be returned due to false advertising and electrical problem. This is not a park we will return to. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

I am very perplexed by this review. If you had such issues, why were they not addressed with me, before going to the Internet to write such things? I can not correct without knowing you had a problem. I have had NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER WITH MY ELECTRIC on any of my sites this season. Each year they are all looked at. If we see any problem it is taken care. If something would arise during the season, it is taken care of immediately!!!!! You also can adjust your RV on your site so that you don't have dirt spot, from all the mats layed out to kill it. As for welcoming you , I welcome every Single person that walks in my door. Beware I tell every single one a few of my rules when you arrive so we are in both in agreement, if you don't agree, just let me know. I will happily void your sale. This also includes telling you that I lost my cable TV last year when the Company I had went Digital. I would have also voided the sale if you didn't like that as well. This is a RV Park not a Campground. This is not party central but a place to get a good nights sleep. Apparently you haven't spent many nights in a RV park that are not destination sites because all of them are built right beside a highway which is built right beside a railroad. As for my web site as of Saturday September 9th 2016 after trying to work with a web designer for months, I have contacted the owner about my website NOT being changed as I have requested. I am in high hopes it will be done this week. Now weeds and junk? Weeds I can't do much but mow them and use round up. Which I do both its a Fact of life. Junk? Where? I have NO JUNK anywhere on my property!!!!! My neighbors yes but not on the property that I own. Just a suggestion to everyone. Read my online brochure. Everything is on there. Includes NO cable TV and all of my rules. Then reviews like this one can be avoided because it all comes down to the fact you didn't care for my rules. In which if people don't agree to them people would come and resort to this kind of review. Just so everyone reading this knows : I don't tell you about being late. It's just written in my book. This Woman just decide to elaborate on it. Thank you for not wanting to return here.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $38.00

I have read reviews on this park and comments about the owner. Well for the owner, she is a bit brisk and blunt so don't expect her to come out in a cheerleader outfit and be all peppy......ain't gonna happen. But she does not have a wart, she's just a brief blunt person. We had trouble maneuvering around the tree branches and negotiating our way into our sight. There arelittle shrubs they call trees and yellow posts marking camp sites . We had to drive back around and try a different angle and then once in the parking space the shrub prevented us from using our slides. I called and asked if we could move to another sight. We were told very abruptly that that one was reserved but she did assign us to another one which worked very well for us. I was not that impressed with the site for what I paid. I think I will see what else is available in the area or move on down the road next time. It is ok for a one night stay but that is about it. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Motorhome.

Scraping Branches, Obstacles

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank You for your review.

Sorry that even after giving you a site that "worked very well " for you, that you still were not pleased. I am rated by the Good Sam rating scale as one of the top 3 RV parks in all of Kansas. I can't please everyone in the poll of public opinion, but I do give you great working hook-ups!!!! Based on the rates given in the Good Sam Book for my amenities and my ratings by them, I'm on the low side of the rate I should be asking. There are so many people who come in that come in my office that tell me what a Great park I have. People will tell me they are here because of my rules. Anyone who has ever worked with the public knows it's very hard to make people happy in this Me, Me, Me world we all now live in. So to many these days I am a witch. To others, they can't think me enough. They just don't go to the internet, they prefer the personal touch. Again Thank you and Happy Trails. Ruth

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $34.00

Stayed just 2 nights. Site very tight getting in between yellow cement pole and tree. Checked in by a 10 year old child. Noticed pool was empty and the temps were in the 80's. Tried unsuccessfully to pull into pull thru site with toad attached. Had to unhook while on a turn so we could back up RV to get into site. Trees along roads in the park are over grown and scraped the sides of the coach coming and going. grrrrr. Hooked up cable to discover there is no cable service. Also no satellite reception. Could only get 2 major networks over antenna. AND there are so many rules in the paperwork. Most are written in a threatening manner and printed in red. I have NEVER before seen (#5) Restroom/Showers: " ...... All guests age 2 and older must use same sex restroom." What kind of person or business owner would think up such a rule and impose it against their customers? What kind of parent would abide by such ridiculousness. What mother would send their 2 year old little boy into a restroom to fend for himself? Maybe the child would miraculously figure out how to pull down his pull up, correctly use the potty, pull up his pull-up and pants and wash his hands? NO LITTLE BOY, EVER !!!! Not to mention subject him (or her) to the unknown adults in the restrooms. Additionally, another rule is: " Children must be accompanied by an adult in the pool, restrooms and playground at all times." The management should just add a rule "No single parents with children allowed on the premises." If I had known about these ridiculous rules ,we would have NEVER given this campground our business. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Motorhome.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

After 17 years of being the park owner, I have a few stories I could tell you. Frist of .... not all people can drive as well as others. I have hundreds of RVs that are 45' long with up to 35 ' box trailers on behind them that certainly don't disconnect and they get into their site just fine If you see you can't make it. ( only you know your own abilities) then you can always disconnect before you are on the turn. What difference does it make if it was a 10-year-old child that spotted you? She did not let you hit anything and it's good that she enjoys helping grandma out. Most people even tip her. She's a kid who Ioves to help others!!! You don't see that to often. I haven't had cable in a year now due to Cox Cable going Digital. You are going to find more and more of that now. Why you didn't get satellite tv is beyond me. I see a lot of satellites out. No one says they can't get service. Antenna Channels are as many as 22 that people have told me about with good equipment. Now for the restrooms. Most RVS have a restroom/shower in them. I have had many unpleasant occurrences that have prompted me to write this in my books. Most people do come with a man and a woman when having small children so it's very rarely a problem. For those times when it is a problem, just come to my office and we will work it out so others are not inconvenienced or made uncomfortable by unruly children or 13 year old boys in the ladies room when people are taken showers. I had to put an age on it and 2 years old is about right for kids to start talking and looking in between/ under doors to embrace others with their remarks. Not all people understand that. If you walked a day in my shoes, you'd realize my rules/ guildlines all have a reason behind them. Pool is only IN SEASON which is ALWAYS between Memorial Day and Labor Day. There is a lot more Red letters then just what not to do. Like all my subjects for quick look up, for finding out something fast. I can't please everyone and it sure is clear I didn't please you. All I can do is make the majority happy and that I do. Happy Trails.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $37.00

This was a fine park with a friendly check-in, good gravel roads, nicely spaced pads with grass areas in between and plenty of room for all size rigs. Utilities worked well including WiFi but no cable but got a few channels on the antenna. Bathroom/shower/laundry facilities were very nice. There is a playground and arcade room for kids. Train tracks are very close and loud but fortunately only a couple trains went by in the night. It was quiet otherwise. Don't think you can escape them anywhere in town. I would rate higher if there was cable - hope she can get it back soon - but still a nice place to stay. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you very, very much for this awesome review.
I just got something in the mail about getting cable TV from someone out of Michigan. Along with internet and security cameras. If place doesn't sell before I open back up in the Spring, I will look into the cost and see if it's doable for me. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Again, Thank you. You are awesome!!! Ruth

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $36.00

We stayed one night. The park is close to a train track which is noisy, and also close enough to a feed yard that on windy days (which we experienced) you are treated to unpleasant odors. Our site was in the center loop. Very dusty, cactus planted at edge of our site to maneuver around, but wide enough for our small trailer. Facilities were very clean. The park is on the edge of town but easily accessible to Dodge City attractions and shopping. However, we will not stay again because of the way we saw another guest treated. The gentleman was sitting by his camper with his leashed small dog. He looped the leash around his chair to secure the dog so he could have his hands free to eat a snack. As his wife headed into the office to purchase something, one of the staff yelled at her that their dog's leash had to be in a person's hand, that they were violating the rules and needed to take care of it or be evicted! The gentleman's pet was laying at his feet, leash hooked to the chair while the man was sitting! We appreciate rules, but this was over the top. It could have been handled with kindness and civility (although the rest of us in the area were flabbergasted that it was an issue). Also, no discounts were accepted. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Center loop

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you for your review.

Yes, anywhere you would have parked in Dodge City you can smell the " beef" and hear the trains. After all, this is a cattle town. That's how Dodge City survives. Thank goodness we are on the west side of town and they are on the east side so it's very rarely ever we have to indure the smell here. Yes, it's dusty on the plains.

As for the cactus being at the edge of your site, this is a stretch of the truth. I only have two cactuses near the sites and that's on site #1. I never park on that site. Therefore the closest you could have been parked to it is site #2. If you can't maneuver around it being parked that far away from it, something wrong with you, not my cactus.

Now for the dog rules. It is my rule that when the dog is outside #1 has to be leashed and held by a human on the other end or #2 if outside the RV it has to have a human at its side at all times being tethered by a leash or line of some kind and/or a human holding the leash. Never leavening it by itself outside. No chains, staking or caging the dog in any way. So if the dog was indeed tied to the chair and the owner was sitting right there with the dog. No one would of ever yelled at these people. I do not tolerate irresponsible pet owners but I also will not harass the responsible ones.

Since you told a tall tale about the cactus and after asking all my family if they would have done what you said and I know I did no such thing. I have to believe that this story is also an exaggeration of the truth. NOT COOL !!! If someone told you this story, Please don't repeat gossip. When people are mad, they will say anything to hurt me and my park.

Irresponsible pet owners are on the rise causing many of us Parks to not allow dogs at all. With people giving bad reviews for enforcing our rules it makes us want to not let pets in at all. Pretty soon all dog owners will be at Walmarts and all you will have to write about is how many people you met there.

Good Luck to you. I make No apologies for my rules or how I tell people about them. Thank you. Ruth

Lake Coldwater

Coldwater, Kansas

High Plains Camping

Oakley, Kansas

Salina KOA

Salina, Kansas

USI RV Park

Wichita, Kansas

Are you affiliated with Gunsmoke RV Park?