Dodge City, Kansas

Dodge City, Kansas 67801

Recent Rate: $36 10/2016

• Water Spigot Water Spigot no
  • Overflow Parking Overflow Parking no
  • ATT, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular Cellular Phone Providers Cellular Phone Providers ATT,Verizon,Sprint,T-Mobile,U.S. Cellular
  • Phone Phone yes
  • Arcade Games Arcade Games yes
  • Billiards Billiards yes
  • Casino Casino yes

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $36.00

We heard and read that this is the best RV park in Dodge City, and that's probably true. The park store seemed well-stocked and the location is convenient. The utilities worked just fine and the site was fairly level.

We understand that the owner has had some personal challenges in the last year that would impact how she manages the park. However, we found that the grounds seemed neglected and the rules, while completely understandable, were communicated in a very off-putting way. We wish her the very best in the future, but I doubt we'll return to this park. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Motorhome.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you for taking time to write a review.

If you had ran a park as long as I have, you would know you have to get peoples attention. Otherwise people think you don't mean what you say. Then there is unwanted confrontation later when they do exactly what you told them not to do. Some still do wrong anyway just to see if they can get away with it.

As far as my park being neglected, I have had all the roofs replaced this year, All New roads in the park this year, having a guy come out to cut the trees yet again this month, working on the picnic tables and coverts, as well as paint on all the buildings. I get a 8/9.5*/9 rating by Good Sam that makes me #3 in the whole state and #1 in the western KS. In the world of public opinion, I can't please everyone, But I sure do have hundreds of people who will come in my office or write me personally to compliment me.

I do thank you for your well wishes, but attacking my business sure does not make those words meaningful. (very off-putting) Kinda like calling the kettle black.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $36.00

We stayed here 1 night as we passed through. We stayed in a pull through at the back side of the park which was adequate in length. The grassy area between sites is nice. The roads inside the park are rock (not gravel) and it's a little rough. The office folks are particular about their rules, but overall a nice experience. Utilities worked well and good OTA tv along with Verizon service. We would stay here again if we are in Dodge City. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Check out the Boot Hill Museum for a look back at the Dodge City of the 1800's. We also enjoyed a meal at Vallarta Mexican grill.

Thank you for your review.

Hope you have very happy trials ahead.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $37.00

This park has very large gravel pull through sites in the rear section. Each site had a large grass area with treesto separate from other units. Utilities were easy to access. There were two ports for sewer connection to allow easy hook-up. Dog walking was along a grass path in the back of the park. Dogs on leash only outside of your unit. Good Verizon service but no Sprint service. No cable but we were able to pick up 17 Channels with antenna. Nice clean laundry room facility. Park is conveniently located to Boot Hill Museum. We would stay at this park again. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

The all inclusive tickets at Boot Hill Museum was a great deal. Dinner turned out to be surprisingly good with generous portions. The night variety show ends at 8 p.m. so be sure to bring your gate code.

As stated previously the owner is very strict about park rules. Not a bad thing but be prepared to follow exactly or you "will get the boot"

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you for your lovely review. Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Hope to see you again when you're in the area.
PMC

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $36.00

We fortunately stayed at this park for only one night. The website needs to be updated as it provides false information. There is no cable. Our electrical did not work adequately. We had a dirt area right by the steps of our RV which was a mess when it rained. The appearance of the park was sad with weeds and junk...needs so much care and maintenance. Train sounded like it was right outside the RV. Road noise was continuous. My husband was read the rules and told if we didn't pick up dog messes (which we always do) we would be booted out immediately. Also, if we stayed one minute beyond checkout time we would be charged another day on our credit card. It would have been nice to be welcomed instead of threatened with rules like we were irresponsible children. There are no discounts; we feel our money should be returned due to false advertising and electrical problem. This is not a park we will return to. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

I am very perplexed by this review. If you had such issues, why were they not addressed with me, before going to the Internet to write such things? I can not correct without knowing you had a problem. I have had NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER WITH MY ELECTRIC on any of my sites this season. Each year they are all looked at. If we see any problem it is taken care. If something would arise during the season, it is taken care of immediately!!!!! You also can adjust your RV on your site so that you don't have dirt spot, from all the mats layed out to kill it. As for welcoming you , I welcome every Single person that walks in my door. Beware I tell every single one a few of my rules when you arrive so we are in both in agreement, if you don't agree, just let me know. I will happily void your sale. This also includes telling you that I lost my cable TV last year when the Company I had went Digital. I would have also voided the sale if you didn't like that as well. This is a RV Park not a Campground. This is not party central but a place to get a good nights sleep. Apparently you haven't spent many nights in a RV park that are not destination sites because all of them are built right beside a highway which is built right beside a railroad. As for my web site as of Saturday September 9th 2016 after trying to work with a web designer for months, I have contacted the owner about my website NOT being changed as I have requested. I am in high hopes it will be done this week. Now weeds and junk? Weeds I can't do much but mow them and use round up. Which I do both its a Fact of life. Junk? Where? I have NO JUNK anywhere on my property!!!!! My neighbors yes but not on the property that I own. Just a suggestion to everyone. Read my online brochure. Everything is on there. Includes NO cable TV and all of my rules. Then reviews like this one can be avoided because it all comes down to the fact you didn't care for my rules. In which if people don't agree to them people would come and resort to this kind of review. Just so everyone reading this knows : I don't tell you about being late. It's just written in my book. This Woman just decide to elaborate on it. Thank you for not wanting to return here.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $38.00

I have read reviews on this park and comments about the owner. Well for the owner, she is a bit brisk and blunt so don't expect her to come out in a cheerleader outfit and be all peppy......ain't gonna happen. But she does not have a wart, she's just a brief blunt person. We had trouble maneuvering around the tree branches and negotiating our way into our sight. There arelittle shrubs they call trees and yellow posts marking camp sites . We had to drive back around and try a different angle and then once in the parking space the shrub prevented us from using our slides. I called and asked if we could move to another sight. We were told very abruptly that that one was reserved but she did assign us to another one which worked very well for us. I was not that impressed with the site for what I paid. I think I will see what else is available in the area or move on down the road next time. It is ok for a one night stay but that is about it. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Motorhome.

Scraping Branches, Obstacles

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank You for your review.

Sorry that even after giving you a site that "worked very well " for you, that you still were not pleased. I am rated by the Good Sam rating scale as one of the top 3 RV parks in all of Kansas. I can't please everyone in the poll of public opinion, but I do give you great working hook-ups!!!! Based on the rates given in the Good Sam Book for my amenities and my ratings by them, I'm on the low side of the rate I should be asking. There are so many people who come in that come in my office that tell me what a Great park I have. People will tell me they are here because of my rules. Anyone who has ever worked with the public knows it's very hard to make people happy in this Me, Me, Me world we all now live in. So to many these days I am a witch. To others, they can't think me enough. They just don't go to the internet, they prefer the personal touch. Again Thank you and Happy Trails. Ruth

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $37.00

This was a fine park with a friendly check-in, good gravel roads, nicely spaced pads with grass areas in between and plenty of room for all size rigs. Utilities worked well including WiFi but no cable but got a few channels on the antenna. Bathroom/shower/laundry facilities were very nice. There is a playground and arcade room for kids. Train tracks are very close and loud but fortunately only a couple trains went by in the night. It was quiet otherwise. Don't think you can escape them anywhere in town. I would rate higher if there was cable - hope she can get it back soon - but still a nice place to stay. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you very, very much for this awesome review.
I just got something in the mail about getting cable TV from someone out of Michigan. Along with internet and security cameras. If place doesn't sell before I open back up in the Spring, I will look into the cost and see if it's doable for me. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Again, Thank you. You are awesome!!! Ruth

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $36.00

We stayed one night. The park is close to a train track which is noisy, and also close enough to a feed yard that on windy days (which we experienced) you are treated to unpleasant odors. Our site was in the center loop. Very dusty, cactus planted at edge of our site to maneuver around, but wide enough for our small trailer. Facilities were very clean. The park is on the edge of town but easily accessible to Dodge City attractions and shopping. However, we will not stay again because of the way we saw another guest treated. The gentleman was sitting by his camper with his leashed small dog. He looped the leash around his chair to secure the dog so he could have his hands free to eat a snack. As his wife headed into the office to purchase something, one of the staff yelled at her that their dog's leash had to be in a person's hand, that they were violating the rules and needed to take care of it or be evicted! The gentleman's pet was laying at his feet, leash hooked to the chair while the man was sitting! We appreciate rules, but this was over the top. It could have been handled with kindness and civility (although the rest of us in the area were flabbergasted that it was an issue). Also, no discounts were accepted. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Center loop

Thank you for your review.

Yes, anywhere you would have parked in Dodge City you can smell the " beef" and hear the trains. After all, this is a cattle town. That's how Dodge City survives. Thank goodness we are on the west side of town and they are on the east side so it's very rarely ever we have to indure the smell here. Yes, it's dusty on the plains.

As for the cactus being at the edge of your site, this is a stretch of the truth. I only have two cactuses near the sites and that's on site #1. I never park on that site. Therefore the closest you could have been parked to it is site #2. If you can't maneuver around it being parked that far away from it, something wrong with you, not my cactus.

Now for the dog rules. It is my rule that when the dog is outside #1 has to be leashed and held by a human on the other end or #2 if outside the RV it has to have a human at its side at all times being tethered by a leash or line of some kind and/or a human holding the leash. Never leavening it by itself outside. No chains, staking or caging the dog in any way. So if the dog was indeed tied to the chair and the owner was sitting right there with the dog. No one would of ever yelled at these people. I do not tolerate irresponsible pet owners but I also will not harass the responsible ones.

Since you told a tall tale about the cactus and after asking all my family if they would have done what you said and I know I did no such thing. I have to believe that this story is also an exaggeration of the truth. NOT COOL !!! If someone told you this story, Please don't repeat gossip. When people are mad, they will say anything to hurt me and my park.

Irresponsible pet owners are on the rise causing many of us Parks to not allow dogs at all. With people giving bad reviews for enforcing our rules it makes us want to not let pets in at all. Pretty soon all dog owners will be at Walmarts and all you will have to write about is how many people you met there.

Good Luck to you. I make No apologies for my rules or how I tell people about them. Thank you. Ruth

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $36.00

This is probably the better choice of campgrounds in Dodge City. It does need a little TLC. The picnic tables need a refresh and the choice of larger gravel on the roads is a little hard to walk on. On the plus side, the owner has replaced every other pull-through with a grassy patch that greatly improves what must have been a sardine can feel at one time. As a result the extra sewer ports at each remaining site make it easier to connect your hose regardless of where it is located on your RV. Some sites have trees and in the 100 degree days we were here, the trees on our site were a definite plus. The owner has a no tolerance policy about parking on the grass and dogs running loose. If you can't follow the rules, plan on going elsewhere. I would definitely come back if I return to this area. As others have noted, she dishes out a very generous portion of ice cream. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Some Shade, Mostly Shady

The Boot Hill Museum is an interesting visit. They offer a 13 minute video on the history of Dodge City presented by Buck Taylor who played Newly on the Gunsmoke TV series. Part of the museum is a recreation of Front Street as it appeared in the late 1800s.

Thank you for your review.

It is much appreciated when the word gets out that this park is ran by rules and I won't put up with people who refuse to follow them. Especially when you sign to agree to do it. Only responsible dog owners need to come here.

Work had begun on the picnic tables earlier in the year but got side tracked with more important things as the year got started. Will finish it this fall when the grass quits growing.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $34.00

Good travel stop or base camp. Utilities worked, wifi good, restrooms/shower dated but clean. Security gate. Convenient to Dodge City and Walmart/grocery. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $38.00

This park is located just a few minutes from the main Dodge City attractions. Easy in and out. This is not a fancy park, but the grounds and facilities (bathrooms, showers, and pool) were all quite clean and neat. The Wi-Fi was excellent with consistent connections and fast speeds, which we value greatly. AT&T cell service was full LTE.

We stayed one night in site #6, a pull thru with full hookups. We would gladly stay here again. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

We purchased the all-in-one ticket at Boot Hill Museum which included the museum, a great dinner, a gunfight, and an entertaining variety show. We really enjoyed all of it.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you so much for your awesome review.

Hopefully I'll see you again soon.

Happy Trails,

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $27.00

My family and I camped here for two nights while we were in Dodge City, it was a very enjoyable experience for all of us. The campground went along with the "Old West" theme of the rest of the city. My 8 year old son thought this was just fantastic.

The restrooms and showers were very clean, and the pool was nice for cooling of in the summer heat. The tent area doesn't have a electric hook-ups, sometimes it's good to unplug. The park manager lady was very nice, and made sure my family had a good stay. Thank you. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Tent.

tent area

Our entire experience in Dodge City was great, I would recommend this stop to anyone. The Boothill Museum has something for everyone, and they go out of their way for the kids. There is also a free zoo in town, it's small, but worth the stop.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

You just made my day!! Thank you for your wonderful review and your time to write it. It really makes me feel good to know not everyone is against me and what I stand for here. Thanks again, Ruth

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $36.00

We recently stayed at Gunsmoke RV for 2 nights as we wanted to see more of the history of Dodge City. This is a very clean and well run park. Located conveniently on HWY 50. Easy to get in and out of the park. Long gravel pull thrus that were level. Trees for shade, WI FI was good. Short drive to historic Dodge City and the casino where we enjoyed a delicious steak. We will stay here again as we pass thru. We stayed here in a 42 ft fifth wheel. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

This park is gated which is a very nice feature. However, make sure you have a flash light when returning after 9 so you can see the key pad.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you for this awesome review!!! So trilled to have been a service to you folks!!

Hope to have you back again real soon!!

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $38.00

Gunsmoke RV Park was easy to find. We have a big rig and were able to navigate the interior road well. It was quiet. There was a nice little store in the office area. New trees were growing well, but were not yet tall enough to shade our RV. Our site had grass for the dog but the end of the row had a great place for dog-walking. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Groceries and fuel were available at a nice Dillons (Kroger) on 14th St. The Walmart across from Dillons was crowded.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you for this wonderful review. So glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you back again soon. Happy Trails, Ruth

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $36.00

No cable TV. Campground staff on patrol stopped while we were putting groceries away (taking bags from truck to trailer) and told us that we had to be with our dog (tied to trailer on leash) at all times when outside. Had just carried a bag in the trailer and was away for less than a minute. Park is run down compared to the previous visits over past visits. Won't be back. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Gunsmoke RV Park, owner at Gunsmoke RV Park responded to this review

Thank you for your review. Sorry but it only takes a second for something to go wrong. After two dog attacks I know all to well. The land owners in Kansas are as responsible as the dog owner and can be sued. If something had happened to your baby while you were inside I'm sure you would not have blamed yourself for leaving it alone. If it was me that said something to you, then I waited before approaching you. I can't speak for my family if they were the ones who said something while I was in Israel. Either way irresponsible dog owners need not come to my park. I just did all the driveway and all the roofs in the park this year. Trees are getting all redone sometime this month yet again. All buildings were also panted this year. My ratings with Trailer Life are still one of the highest in the whole state and are the highest in Southwest KS. My husband may have passed away but I have not and will not let this park suffer for it. Only me. Again, Thank you for your opinion and glad you won't be putting me or your dog at risk in my park ever again.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $36.00

The park as noted needs some TLC. It has long pull throughs in the back but they are at 90 degree angle to the road, a little angle on them would make them a little easier to get into. The overhanging trees are what brought it down from a 9 to a 7. They need to be trimmed. With a full wall on one side and regular slides on the other it was fun trying to avoid hitting the power pedestal with the wall and keep the overhanging trees off the other side of my coach. It was doable but why have to if some trees were trimmed. We camped at Gunsmoke RV Park in a Motorhome.

Scraping Branches

Thank you for your review.

The park was built in 1978 when there was no sides or 45 ft RV's with 35 ' Box Trailers behind them. Why they built it without a slant is anyone's guess. I only know I have some of the biggest RV's you have ever seen parked in here with no mishaps and I have pictures to prove it. Whenever possible I can move you when you ask, since not all sites have trees. The trees are cut twice a year and my son in law will cut some of the small branches when asked between cuttings. With some of my sites being up to 100 feet long, usually RV's can park between the tress and stay off the utilities when parked in the center of the site both ways.

I run this park all by myself with the help of family when they can help. I try my best to run a tip top park, But keeping up with the trees along with everything else can be overwhelming.

Thanks again
Ruth

Are you affiliated with Gunsmoke RV Park?