Walnut Grove RV Park

Merriam, Kansas

SeeTheUSA

Prices going up, but improvements are slow to get accomplished. Every site was occupied, so revenue is probably pretty good, but about all we saw improved from a year ago was the fence in the east parking lot was freshly painted, although a quite hideous color. The young lady employee who checked us in was very pleasant and helpful. Sites are small, gravel, many not level. Site numbers are easy to see. Loop road is paved, but has several poor sections because of some sort of utility work. Electrical is about 110 volts and reliable. Registration building has been repainted, but also a weird color. Water is from city of Merriam. Sewer connections are maintained properly. Laundry facility is adequate. Restrooms and showers are reasonably clean, but need work. Trash dumpster is conveniently located. No picnic tables or fire rings (although they sell fire wood!). Trees are big, but not nearly as many as there were because tornados and storms have knocked some down. Pricey for what you get, but not much competition. Please read other reviews for more information if I haven't addressed all you need. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Motorhome.

libmeister53

The owner is very sweet. There are a lot of monthly campers but they are very restricted about personalizing their lot. There is NO grass in the camping spaces, only gravel. We lived there for 9 months. They promised to forward our mail but that never happened. We would not stay there again. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

lpoebowen

The people that run the park were very nice. The park is in a residential area; tight, extremely close together, long term residents, no grass or "yard" area. It was just OK. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Motorhome.

SeeTheUSA

The new management group seems to be "getting it." New little store is a nice feature, big annoying speed bumps have been removed, discount for military/veteran or Good Sam is very welcomed. Previous dog issue seems to have been resolved (likely need to judge that better when it is warmer). Staff is more accommodating and friendlier than before. Good to see them walking about. Would like to see permanent sites better managed, too much stuff outside, looks trailer-trashy. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Motorhome.

chris3403

While pull through sites were concrete they were not level and really leaned. Leveling blocks were needed. Spot 407 had no room on either side. Truthfully, there was 2 inches between my slide out and the one parked on my side below me. Thankfully on the other side was a Class C with no slide outs. Although we've been in some tights ones before, they were nothing like this. Wi-Fi worked sometimes and sometimes it didn't. No cable here. Only over the air channels and only 6 at that. You are very limited as to where to stay in Kansas City, but I would look hard to find somewhere else. The staff was friendly and they did forward a piece of mail to me so I am thankful to them for that. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Joceil

Our pull-through site was very narrow, we had only one slide out, not enough room for living room slide. The park was overpriced in our opinion. The sites were gravel. Might stay there again if the other parks in the area were full. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Motorhome.

SeeTheUSA

The new park management does not pay as much attention to tenant rules compliance as did the previous group. Dogs were often a nuisance, improper vehicle parking was not corrected, and the trash dumpster overflowed routinely. One tenant had about a dozen dogs out every day in make-shift cages and they barked constantly which got other dogs in the area riled up also! This place is too small to not manage these things better. Previously, it was common to see management walking about dealing with issues. This time there was nobody outside. All the staff stayed in the office. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Motorhome.

CarrieBearie

Only discounts given are for military (which we don't qualify for). Good: owners were accommodating with us, the laundry was good and reasonably priced, we liked the location (close but not too close to all the city stuff - still had a small town feel nearby). Bad: very aggressive speed bump right near entrance, early morning noisy yard work some days, and some owners don't pick up after their dogs in the dog area in the back. Worst: a lot of loud trains at night. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Motorhome.

dkjellander

This was an OK park in that the people were friendly and it was easy to find. It just was not that close to Kansas City and there was little shade. Also there were no tables provided and the spaces were very close together. Some spaces are really unlevel, which can be challenging. About half the spaces were long term residences. The internet was not very good and my wireless card ended up being faster. I do not get these parks charging for more people like in hotels. My mother is in a wheelchair so she is not going to us any extra services. Otherwise it was not a bad place at all to spend a couple of nights. I probably would not be a long term residence. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

KDSpree

Pros- close to Kansas City, good Wi-Fi, close to some shopping, friendly staff/owners, quiet. Cons- tight spaces for parking (5 feet away from the neighbor) and maneuvering for a 36 foot 5ver, kind of pricey for what you get. We would stay here again. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Doogiesmom

Owner accommodated us on a Saturday night with less than 24 hours notice and warned about the tight space available. Very friendly and accommodating owner/manager. Recommended RJ's BBQ, which was fabulous. Train nearby. Right off busy street. It's close to downtown and the only RV park around. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Motorhome.

bilklb

This is not an RV resort. It is a place to park your camper while you are visiting the Kansas City area. It has electric, water, and sewer connections, and the staff/owners guide you in to your site. They also have free internet that puts out a really strong signal and is fairly fast. They do not have cable access, but I have a $14 hi-definition antennae that pulls in over 25 channels quite clearly. That is inside an all aluminum camper, which tends to hamper reception. I suspect that if I put the antennae outside, or on the roof, that I would get even more channels. Everyone (owners/staff/guests) has been extremely nice to both me and my dog. Both of the owners have stopped us during a walk to give my dog a treat, which I thought was really nice of them. They also seem to like my pup, because they go out of their way to come over and pet and play with him. They have a very nice lounge/tornado shelter, that has TV, a book lending library, and more. It reminded me of a very cozy family room in an extremely nice house. The park is in the heart of the suburbs of Kansas City, in the small, charming city of Merriam. I do not know the history of Merriam, but I suspect that it is long and interesting. I highly recommend this place. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

spanky

Walnut Grove is a nice and friendly park. I was a bit leery of coming here because of reading other reviews about the size of sites. . . But my 37 foot 5er was no problem. There are 6 0r 7 pull-throughs that accommodate much larger size RVs. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Very quiet except for the thunder storms. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 was there was no cable TV. Only a few miles from Downtown Kansas City. Just a little FYI, fuel up in Missouri as well as libations on the Missouri side also. I would suggest Walnut Grove to everyone and we will come back again. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Gypsy's Winnie

I agree with the previous poster and will add the following. This is indeed a difficult park to review. We also chose this park because of proximity to a relative who lives nearby. Small park, probably would be difficult to navigate with a large rig and especially if towing another vehicle. We are 30 feet and do not tow. We had no problem backing into our site as the site across from ours was empty. Our site was fairly level but did have to lower rear jack a bit. The owner was very helpful and assured us they would help with anything we needed. We thought the price was quite reasonable, the staff friendly, the directions to park excellent. This appears to be the only park in the central Kansas City area and is not bad for a one or two night stay. One other comment is that there seems to be a lot of auto traffic in and out, but that may just be the current residents. We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Motorhome.

vidcity

This park gets a bad rap that is not totally deserved. There is no doubt that it is a small, very tight park, but they are very good at helping you park and once you're in your spot it's fine. It must be remembered that this is the only RV park for many miles and it is in a very good location, if you desire to be in the Kansas suburbs of Kansas City. We have kids in the area and have stayed here many times in our 40 footer without problems. My only problem is they accept no discounts for anything and their price is on the high side. I think they know that they don't have any competition, you will just pay the price for the location. I guess that's just their business model! We camped at Walnut Grove RV Park in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Walnut Grove RV Park?