High Plains Camping

Oakley, Kansas

462 US Highway 83
Oakley, Kansas 67748

• Pickleball Pickleball no

Ask fellow campers about "High Plains Camping" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $40.00

The park was nice but I will probably not stay there again. They did not want us to use their restrooms. The male manager told us that they had full hookups so we did not need to use their restrooms. The mosquitoes were absolutely horrible. They swarmed us and invaded all of our open cargo areas. I have never seen mosquitoes in such large quantities in an RV park. They loaned us a cable cord and let us borrow two videos. They opened the hot tub for us but we chose not to use it. The restrooom issues and the mosquitoes are reason enough not to return here. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $40.00

Looks like the place could use some updating. We didn't use any of their facilities as this was just for overnight. Lots of weeds around, site was grass with gravel road. It was fine for us but if it's been raining I could see it could become a muddy mess. They have 16 sites at the back for overnighters, and the rest are for semi permanent pipe line workers and wind farm employees. As previously stated it's not what I consider a resort but it's good for an overnight stay. Convenient restaurant on site and we thought the food was good. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $40.00

This is a convenient location and probably the best choice in the area. The check-in was very efficient but somewhat abrupt. Our mostly level pull-thru site was a combination of grass, gravel and mud. The recent rain required use of 4WD into and out of the slick, mushy site. Building up the sites with more gravel should eliminate the mud problem. We had no fire ring and no picnic table, but didn't need them for our overnight stay. The sites in our row were somewhat close together, but manageable. Utilities were located well and worked well. There was some road noise from I-70 and US 83. Be aware there are a lot of cedar trees if you are sensitive. There is an expansive open area that is great for walking dogs. If you watch out for the stickers, they will not pose a significant problem for pets. We would probably stay here again if in the area. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Fifth Wheel.

Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $40.00

If you like mosquitoes, flies, grasshoppers and sticky burrs, then this place is for you! Basically an open prairie with gravel/dirt sites. We were in the back and our site was level. Ok for one night stop over. Not good for pets as too many sticky burrs that get on their pads and your shoes so take your shoes off before you go inside. The Captain Jack pub was mediocre at best. Owned by RV Park owner. Location convenient as right off I-70 but you may want to drive a little farther down the road. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near High Plains Camping

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $40.00

The paper given when you check in calls this place "High Plains RV Resort." It is not a resort. The lady who checked us in was very nice. The cable and electric and water all worked well. The site was bur clover and gravel and easy to get level, and long enough we didn't have to unhitch. If you have pets, I think you want to go somewhere else. The burs are like very strong, sharp thorns that get all over the bottom of shoes - I hate to think of dogs paws walking there. If you like to use campground bathrooms in the morning, this is not the place for you. Their literature says they are for only those without their own bathroom. They are locked and no code is given. No showers. Did not look at pool. On-site pub we didn't try. No shade, and they recommend you keep awning in due to possible sudden winds. Big, bright parking lot light on all night. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Fifth Wheel.

Be prepared for burs.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $40.00

Must've arrived on a bad weekend. Male owner was friendly, female owner not at all, was perturbed when I reported cable not working, perturbed again when I asked to visit the office at checkout. The above ground pool was filthy, with moss all over the bottom. The pub was closed (since it was Tuesday???). The fact that this website shows a 7.8 rating for this campground makes me wonder if I'm expecting too much, but compared to others I've stayed in this is way downhill. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $32.00

I would classify this as a hidden gem. Not many campers seem to stay here. If you stay here, ask to stay in the grassy back lot. When one first drives up to the office, the initial impression is not good, but the grassy back lot is very nice. It is a grass field with 3 gravel roads; 16 campsites, ringed with a line of pine trees. The sites are widely spaced, and it was mostly empty the two days we stayed. There are no overhead trees--Dish-TV works fine. If you are a birdwatcher like my wife, you will enjoy the many species of birds flying and hopping around the campsites. The park rules say dogs need to be on a leash, but there is a large, mowed lot (about an acre) on the backside of the property where one can play catch with the dogs without disturbing anyone. There are two dog parks, but due to the large mowed back lot, they are not that important. Due to few campers being around, there were several times I could let my dogs go chase the numerous, very large rabbits in the area. (Possibly jackrabbits.) (My dogs are good enough that they stop chasing rabbits when they run through the tree line.) If you stay here, it is likely you will see several rabbits. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

There is a highly rated pub on the property. Look up Capn Jacks Pub, Oakley, KS on Trip Advisor.

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $40.00

Entry roads were gravel and r.v.pads were grass and has a some sandburs . water , sewer and electric were adequate . We called and made reservation about week earlier and said we need a camping space close to the showers and facilities do to some disabilities , they parked us more than 100 yards away from buildings , we asked to move but they wanted to move us to a spot that wasn't much better . The swimming pool was small and to hard to get into , the hot tub was small , dirty and hard to get into , they advertised miniature golf , but are in the process removing it . they advertised a dog run , it was completely open on one side . We weren't able to use anything , we stayed one night and left , we won't ever stay here again ! We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Town's abut five miles away . Their's a nice restaurant and a truck-stop out on the road.

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $40.00

Positives about High Plain Camping: 1) Pull-through sites that required only moderate side-to-side leveling. 2) FHU site with all utilities fully functional. 3) Two decent restaurants within walking distance; one associated with the RV park; the second with a dinner buffet. Negatives about High Plains Camping: 1) Owners acted like I was their 900th customer that day; recited their spiel from memory with little emotion. 2) Some of the campground rules are contradictory. You can only drive the right way through a one-way street. You are not allowed to drive through vacant RV spaces. However, if you drive in on a one-way street that dead ends, how do you get out without breaking "a rule"? 3) Some moderate freeway traffic noise from Interstate-70. A decent place to stay for an overnight. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Travel Trailer.

Gravel, Dirt, Grass

It is windy in Oakley. Keep your awnings closed.

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $40.00

Overnight stay - very adequate. Easy off Interstates. Small park. Clean hot tub. Easy pull-thrus. HIGHLY appreciate this is the FIRST RV park we have EVER visited that has a commitment to sustainability and having a "green plan." THANK YOU for your commitment to the planet and our future generations. Verizon: 3 of 5. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: February, 2018 - $36.00

This is a great RV park located off I-70 north of Oakley. Yes, all hookups are at the rear of the site, so great for electrical but a little far for sewer and water. Have extensions. Capt. Jack's Grill and Pub on site is great! Everything about this park is good except for two "items". One, there is not a tornado shelter (in the middle of tornado alley). Second, there are sand burrs everywhere. I hope the owners will use some Oxadiazon Pre-Emergent next March to wipe out the sand burrs. The owners warn you about "cactus", but it is actually sand burrs they are referring to. We will definitely stay here again! Definitely! We camped at High Plains Camping in a Fifth Wheel.

Visit the museum in Oakley! Visit Monument Rocks 20 miles south of Oakley! Yes, visit Capt. Jack's onsite! Order "off menu" one crab cake and 4 Bay scallops! Chesapeake Bay seafood is flown in daily and makes wonderful dining! Highly recommend!

Date of Stay: November, 2017 - $36.00

Our site was level with good wifi and cable. The hook ups are all at the rear so you may need additional hoses. The owner was on site and very helpful with local information. It is an very easy on/off to access the park. There is a restaurant onsite that is too expensive for the quality of food, it was good but not for that price. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $36.00

Stopped for overnight. Host was "really" friendly. Checkin was easy and directions to site were excellent. Did not use cable or wifi. All gravel roads and gravel site. Potholes on entrance from highway but interior roads good. Plenty of room.All sites are pull thru and long enough so I didn't have to unhook toad. Would stay again. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $36.00

Great owners nice clean park. Easy in and out, WiFi and cable worked well. Great restaurant on site and as others have stated you get a $5 off coupon at checkin. Fuel station across the road which is another plus. Great place to stay hope to be back. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $36.00

Nice level spot. The managers were great people and they campground info sheet was the best i have ever seen. She went over the county we were in for weather safety reasons and how to avoid those darn sticker weeds. We still had them attached to our socks! We were only here for a night and i wished we could have tried out the onsite pub but we hit the sack early. Unfortunately, the area was going thru a dry spell and the grass was dead. i think this park would have been much prettier with things greener. Restaurants are few and far between so it was nice to have several close by. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near High Plains Camping

Are you affiliated with High Plains Camping ?