Bardstown, Kentucky

My Old Kentucky Home State Park

Bardstown, Kentucky

501 E. Stephen Foster Ave.
Bardstown, Kentucky 40004

• Cellular Phone Service Cellular Phone Service no
  • Meeting Rooms Meeting Rooms no
  • Golfing Golfing yes

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $22.00

This is the most poorly laid out campground I have ever encountered and I have been to many. Apart from a few spots towards the front, the roads are so narrow and the turns so sharp that maneuvering a large rig can be a nightmare. While my RV is small enough to manage the roads and spaces, I watched it happen to others. I reserved (at extra cost) a pull through site but the site was so poorly maintained that one side sloped and dropped off and I would literally have to park into the road or be precariously unlevel. Well, I could have parked there (further up) but I would have been so far from the utility pedestal that I would not be able to use it. A back in site was in the middle of the pull through site (think of a "T") so back in I did-- and just reached the pedestal--barely. (The distance to the pedestals is noted on the reservations page--pay close attention.) Someone came in with a fairly long travel trailer. The campground host had to spot them as they made numerous attempts to back into the space. If the spot across from them had been occupied on the day they left, they would not have been able to get out. They had to drive into the spot and even so, had to drive down the slope next to that spot and jack knife to get the trailer out of the space. Even the host noted that the park had been poorly designed and definitely needed upgrading and maintenance. He mentioned problems with the bath house but since I was not going to use it I did not ask for clarification, but mentioning here as a heads up. While my space (26) was spacious, the others are very close together. Bottom line: I caution against using this park if you have a large RV. I did fine, (apart from not getting what I paid for) with my 24 ft C, much of the park is just not properly set up for big rigs. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Not big enough for my motorhome

Lots of distilleries to visit nearby.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $22.00

Great location and a clean, quiet, wooded setting make this park an ideal location for touring the Bourbon Trail, visiting historic Bardstown and seeing the horse country. The utilities function well although for some sites the utility box is far from the camp site. A 30A extension cord and long (extra) hoses may be required. The restrooms are reasonability clean. Also, some sites require leveling. Note: For very large rigs, the road may be a little narrow. Contrary to some reviews, we find My Old Kentucky Home a good state park and a nice place to stay. This is our second stay here and we will return when in the area. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $33.00

We stopped here a couple of nights. We toured the mansion at the park. This was an OK time killer; not a must see. Driving instructions in emails are not adequate. Neither is signage to the campground. From the Bluegrass Parkway turn West on Hwy 150 (this was signed thankfully because the email says "150 E just off Bluegrass Parkway). Turn left on Hwy 49 (sign for Campground small). Campground is maybe 1/4 mile on right (no sign at entrance). We were in site 21. This site and 20 and 22 are easy to back in because of the road through the center of the campground. Many sites would be difficult to get in with large campers. Their electricity and water connections are between two sites so they are on the wrong side for every other site. I noticed a few electrical hookups that were too far away without extensions. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $36.00

We had reservations in this campground for a 34' fifth wheel. Upon arrival we were not able to maneuver our rig into the site. The road was too narrow and the site had an odd angle relative to the road. The hosts offered us another site but overhanging limbs limited my access. Had we been able to access that site, the power pole was 40-50 feet from the campsite, far too far for my electrical line. Another camper told us he had to purchase an extension for his power line to access the power. My overall impression - an old, poorly maintained campground unfriendly to fifth wheel rigs. Most sites not suitable for a fifth wheel or larger motor home. The roads were extremely narrow, overhead limbs a significant problem, and sites terribly laid out. We left to find another campground but so far no refund for our five night reservation. Unless camping in a tent or small trailer, I suggest you avoid this campground. There are better in the area. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Not big enough for my 5th wheel

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $25.00

The place is ancient and the utilities have not been updated. No state park personnel. It seemed to be all kids running the place. Talked to one adult. All the money goes into the golf course. Kids cleaning the restrooms need training. Overall, if it wasn't for the local tours the campgrounds would be off my list completely. For a State Park you can't compare with Florida or most the states we have RV'd in. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Dirt, Grass
Fire Ring

Rent a car from Enterprise and they come to the campgrounds. Distilleries all have tours. You can't get them all in in a day for sure.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $24.00

Nice park. Close to bourbon country if that's why you are here (I was). Sites are relatively level, but do require some blocks. A quirk is that some hookups are far (20' or more in some cases) from the site. Very shaded and pleasant to walk around. We will stay here again. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Travel Trailer.

The Barton distillery around the corner was the best tour we took out of four tours. Very intimate and we got to do things that no other place would let you do.

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $24.00

Didn't have a reservation and golf tournament was scheduled so very busy, but luckily a site was available. Downside was having to do a lot of leveling to make it work. Noticed quite a few sites were that way too. Pull-throughs are few and require an additional $3. Golf course is right next to campground, easy access. Tournament members partied, which worried us, but settled down nicely after quiet hours began. This is a great locale for doing the Bourbon Tour. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Travel Trailer.

WalMart close by, restaurant/bar within walking distance across the street, not difficult to find but use Loretto St. for GPS

Date of Stay: November, 2015 - $20.00

A basic campground fine for an overnight stay. Some sites were less than level and many hookups were on the wrong side. The attendant was friendly and helpful. Greater than 35' might have trouble finding a site. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $21.00

We had site #22 -- very spacious, trees in back for privacy and quite level -- probably the nicest in the park. Water and 30 amp hydro easy to connect to and no extra hose needed. Free Internet was available in the park, though you had to go to the front gate/booth to access it, as it didn't reach our campsite. Small playground for children, though not much else to do for kids. Awesome 18-hole golf course next door, in fact, you could see the carts go by behind the trees. We used this campground as a base to tour the bourbon distilleries and see the Stephen Foster Story performance, which is a must-see. Note that the actual campground address is 836 Hwy 49 and not Stephen Foster Avenue -- just follow the signage. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Travel Trailer.

El Jimador Mexican Restaurant was excellent! Super Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Kroger & Peebles minutes away.

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $22.00

As others have said, you need very long electrical cords and water hoses if you want to hook up. We've been in hundreds of states parks and campgrounds and have never seen one laid out like this. It was difficult to get our 30 foot into sites due to direction of roads and trees, water connections so far away, etc. Was awakened by mowers starting at 6am on the adjacent golf course. Asphalt (blacktop) roads and pads. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $25.00

I selected "$25.00" because I can't remember the exact nightly rate. It was somewhere in the $20's range.
We used this park as a quick "overnight" stay. Nothing special, but it was a clean functional campground. We had a nice gravel site, good electric. Nice neighbors, quiet place. Kids enjoyed the playground. Was great for an overnight stay; would return again without hesitation. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Spacious, Nearby

Date of Stay: June, 2014 - $25.00

Excellent location to explore the area. One hour from Mammoth National Park, 1/2 hour from Lexington and Louisville. Quiet campground with lots of shade (I didn't have satellite then, so I don't know if you could get signal, but I did see people have theirs set up). Got all the local channels on antenna. Right next to the golf course. The golfers didn't disturb you at all. You'd hear the ting of the ball being hit. You could walk the course at night. Great Wi-Fi, phone signals. The site we had did fit our 39 ft 5th wheel and we were able to park the truck on site too. The site was paved with grass next to it. It was wider on one side than the other, but that was good, due to the hookups being on one side. The roads into the park are wide enough. Once inside, its a little tight but we were able to back into our site without a problem. First I thought we saw 2 pull-throughs. The hookups were weird here. The electric was shared (which is fine) but on the wrong side of the trailer, as was the water. It was lucky that we had a long enough hose and electric cable. The sewer was also on the wrong side, but our hose reached. So many of the sites were like these that we saw. A man who had 20 amp site but didn't have an adapter, if he did, he barely had an enough electric cable to reach the pole. This campground is in need of updating. It was nice enough weather that we didn't need to put on our AC much, but when we did (we didn't need both) so it was OK that they only have 30 amp power. The camp host said that they are trying to see if they can expand the campground. Right now, the tent sites are closer to the road (it's not busy really). They might develop that into more RV sites and put the tents where the RVs are now. Or expand across the street where the picnic area is located now. I think if we were to go back to the area, we'd stay here again. But we'd ask for a certain site that has the hookups in a better positions. There isn't much choose around that area. This is the best of them. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: March, 2014 - $21.00

We stopped by for 2 nights and got snowed in for 2 more. They are listed as being open during the winter. But clubhouse was closed 4 of the 5 days we were there. They did not clear the snow covered road. The park sits on a small hill that is slippery when snow covered. The sites are small and not level. Some sites will take lifting a tire off the ground to level. We could not use Wi-Fi because no one was there to give us a password. We were just wanting a place to hook up to electric while visiting relatives. Better than staying in store parking lot. I can see how this campground could be nice in summer. Has lots of trees and sits on a golf course. I would not plan on staying here unless you have seen the sites. We will stay here again. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: October, 2013 - $22.00

Very nice park. Sites a bit crowded but we had nice neighbors. Facilities nice and clean. Friendly staff. Close to town w/ places to eat and things to do. Would stay here again. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2013 - $21.00

Rate includes AAA discount. Interesting small park near Bourbon Trail Distilleries. Backs up to a beautiful golf course. We were in 34 foot rig. Sites are close and tight. Quiet and very peaceful park. Bath and showers are clean. A little tricky getting into the park with a motor home. Had to unhook at front gate. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with My Old Kentucky Home State Park?