Bardstown, Kentucky

501 E Stephen Foster Ave
Bardstown, Kentucky 40004

• Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities no
  • Electric (50 AMP) Electric (50 AMP) no
  • ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile Cellular Phone Providers Cellular Phone Providers ATT,Verizon,T-Mobile
  • Meeting Rooms Meeting Rooms no
  • Golfing Golfing yes

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $30.00

The pros are that the park is well shaded and next to a pretty golf course. There is a lot to do in the area. Staff is friendly. The cons are that sites are very unlevel and hookups are sometimes far away. We had to buy an extension cord at Walmart. It is NOT a place to bring a big rig. We could not fit ours into the site we had reserved. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Tight Turns, Obstacles, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $21.00

A fairly old state park designed for smaller RVs so the roads are tight and some of the sites are short. However, there is NO EXCUSE for campsites not being level. The state should fix this problem. Depending on the site, the water or electric service could be as much as 75 feet away - another hardening back to the days that RVs did not use facilities. The place is very nice and an outstanding base for touring the area. It is not bad if you can find a site that can be made to work depending upon your RV type. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

This park is probably in high demand, especially in the summer. Call ahead for availability.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $24.00

We called at the last minute for a one night stay. Attendant was very helpful in finding a site for our 42' bus that was as flat as possible. I could see on Reserve America that most of the remaining sites were listed as severe slope. We got one that was moderate and had no problems leveling, but did end up with our biggest leap yet off the bottom stair. We also had no problem booking for one night even though it was a weekend. The power connection was 30A max and was just at the limit of our 25' cable. Our utilities are located amidships. Water connection was about 15' away but we didn't use it so can't comment on the pressure. This is a tiny campground with about 35 very close spaces. Not Key West close, but closer than you'd expect for a state park. Our spot was 18 which is inner-loop and adjacent to the restrooms, dump station, and dumpster. Not ideal for a long stay but fine for a night. This site does not have sewer but we noted a few that did. Our site was a very easy back-in maneuver. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Easy walk into Bardstown if you don't mind a hilly 30 minute walk. The benefit is you don't have to drive after having a couple of bourbons.

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $30.00

This park was not what we had expected from a State Park. The grounds are lovely as a beautiful golf course wraps around 35 sites. What they call a pull-through is ridiculous - nothing more than spreading gravel on both sides of a back-in and asking you to park on the gravel with all of the utilities set up for the back-in site. And they charge you an extra $3 for the "pull-through" sites. We opted to decline our reserved "pull through" and went to a back-in. Those sites are really too short, but we were able to squeeze in between two trees to back up enough to keep our tires on the asphalt and give us a little bit to room at the front of the site. However, the sites are wide enough to park your vehicle to the side. Everyone we talked to had a heck of a time trying to level. We added 5" to one side and our rig was still not level. Utilities (30amp and water) were oddly located about 20' past the rear of the trailer. This is an older park and in our estimation, is ready for some major updating and improvements. There was a nice playground area for the kids and a nice dog park across a well-trafficked street. The Park Staff was friendly, but not on site all of the time. We had to call and then wait for check-in. Connecting to satellite and cell phone coverage is sketchy at best. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Site 2
Asphalt, Grass

Bardstown claimed to be the "Bourbon Capital of the World and the most beautiful small town in America". If you ever wanted to tour a distillery, there are about 10 to choose from. The restored downtown area is quaint any I recommend Mammy's Kitchen if you want southern cooking.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $22.00

This is the most poorly laid out campground I have ever encountered and I have been to many. Apart from a few spots towards the front, the roads are so narrow and the turns so sharp that maneuvering a large rig can be a nightmare. While my RV is small enough to manage the roads and spaces, I watched it happen to others. I reserved (at extra cost) a pull through site but the site was so poorly maintained that one side sloped and dropped off and I would literally have to park into the road or be precariously unlevel. Well, I could have parked there (further up) but I would have been so far from the utility pedestal that I would not be able to use it. A back in site was in the middle of the pull through site (think of a "T") so back in I did-- and just reached the pedestal--barely. (The distance to the pedestals is noted on the reservations page--pay close attention.) Someone came in with a fairly long travel trailer. The campground host had to spot them as they made numerous attempts to back into the space. If the spot across from them had been occupied on the day they left, they would not have been able to get out. They had to drive into the spot and even so, had to drive down the slope next to that spot and jack knife to get the trailer out of the space. Even the host noted that the park had been poorly designed and definitely needed upgrading and maintenance. He mentioned problems with the bath house but since I was not going to use it I did not ask for clarification, but mentioning here as a heads up. While my space (26) was spacious, the others are very close together. Bottom line: I caution against using this park if you have a large RV. I did fine, (apart from not getting what I paid for) with my 24 ft C, much of the park is just not properly set up for big rigs. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Not big enough for my motorhome

Lots of distilleries to visit nearby.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $22.00

Great location and a clean, quiet, wooded setting make this park an ideal location for touring the Bourbon Trail, visiting historic Bardstown and seeing the horse country. The utilities function well although for some sites the utility box is far from the camp site. A 30A extension cord and long (extra) hoses may be required. The restrooms are reasonability clean. Also, some sites require leveling. Note: For very large rigs, the road may be a little narrow. Contrary to some reviews, we find My Old Kentucky Home a good state park and a nice place to stay. This is our second stay here and we will return when in the area. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $33.00

We stopped here a couple of nights. We toured the mansion at the park. This was an OK time killer; not a must see. Driving instructions in emails are not adequate. Neither is signage to the campground. From the Bluegrass Parkway turn West on Hwy 150 (this was signed thankfully because the email says "150 E just off Bluegrass Parkway). Turn left on Hwy 49 (sign for Campground small). Campground is maybe 1/4 mile on right (no sign at entrance). We were in site 21. This site and 20 and 22 are easy to back in because of the road through the center of the campground. Many sites would be difficult to get in with large campers. Their electricity and water connections are between two sites so they are on the wrong side for every other site. I noticed a few electrical hookups that were too far away without extensions. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $36.00

We had reservations in this campground for a 34' fifth wheel. Upon arrival we were not able to maneuver our rig into the site. The road was too narrow and the site had an odd angle relative to the road. The hosts offered us another site but overhanging limbs limited my access. Had we been able to access that site, the power pole was 40-50 feet from the campsite, far too far for my electrical line. Another camper told us he had to purchase an extension for his power line to access the power. My overall impression - an old, poorly maintained campground unfriendly to fifth wheel rigs. Most sites not suitable for a fifth wheel or larger motor home. The roads were extremely narrow, overhead limbs a significant problem, and sites terribly laid out. We left to find another campground but so far no refund for our five night reservation. Unless camping in a tent or small trailer, I suggest you avoid this campground. There are better in the area. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Not big enough for my 5th wheel

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $25.00

The place is ancient and the utilities have not been updated. No state park personnel. It seemed to be all kids running the place. Talked to one adult. All the money goes into the golf course. Kids cleaning the restrooms need training. Overall, if it wasn't for the local tours the campgrounds would be off my list completely. For a State Park you can't compare with Florida or most the states we have RV'd in. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Dirt, Grass
Fire Ring

Rent a car from Enterprise and they come to the campgrounds. Distilleries all have tours. You can't get them all in in a day for sure.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $24.00

Nice park. Close to bourbon country if that's why you are here (I was). Sites are relatively level, but do require some blocks. A quirk is that some hookups are far (20' or more in some cases) from the site. Very shaded and pleasant to walk around. We will stay here again. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Travel Trailer.

The Barton distillery around the corner was the best tour we took out of four tours. Very intimate and we got to do things that no other place would let you do.

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $24.00

Didn't have a reservation and golf tournament was scheduled so very busy, but luckily a site was available. Downside was having to do a lot of leveling to make it work. Noticed quite a few sites were that way too. Pull-throughs are few and require an additional $3. Golf course is right next to campground, easy access. Tournament members partied, which worried us, but settled down nicely after quiet hours began. This is a great locale for doing the Bourbon Tour. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Travel Trailer.

WalMart close by, restaurant/bar within walking distance across the street, not difficult to find but use Loretto St. for GPS

Date of Stay: November, 2015 - $20.00

A basic campground fine for an overnight stay. Some sites were less than level and many hookups were on the wrong side. The attendant was friendly and helpful. Greater than 35' might have trouble finding a site. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $21.00

We had site #22 -- very spacious, trees in back for privacy and quite level -- probably the nicest in the park. Water and 30 amp hydro easy to connect to and no extra hose needed. Free Internet was available in the park, though you had to go to the front gate/booth to access it, as it didn't reach our campsite. Small playground for children, though not much else to do for kids. Awesome 18-hole golf course next door, in fact, you could see the carts go by behind the trees. We used this campground as a base to tour the bourbon distilleries and see the Stephen Foster Story performance, which is a must-see. Note that the actual campground address is 836 Hwy 49 and not Stephen Foster Avenue -- just follow the signage. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Travel Trailer.

El Jimador Mexican Restaurant was excellent! Super Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Kroger & Peebles minutes away.

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $22.00

As others have said, you need very long electrical cords and water hoses if you want to hook up. We've been in hundreds of states parks and campgrounds and have never seen one laid out like this. It was difficult to get our 30 foot into sites due to direction of roads and trees, water connections so far away, etc. Was awakened by mowers starting at 6am on the adjacent golf course. Asphalt (blacktop) roads and pads. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $25.00

I selected "$25.00" because I can't remember the exact nightly rate. It was somewhere in the $20's range.
We used this park as a quick "overnight" stay. Nothing special, but it was a clean functional campground. We had a nice gravel site, good electric. Nice neighbors, quiet place. Kids enjoyed the playground. Was great for an overnight stay; would return again without hesitation. We camped at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Spacious, Nearby

Are you affiliated with My Old Kentucky Home State Park ?