Hillman Ferry Campground

Grand Rivers, Kentucky

Latitude: 36.9275522040342

• yes-lake Waterfront

Bama Bill

We had reservations at Hillman Ferry Campground for five nights the week before the 4th of July week. We canceled and left after one night. It was way too crowded for us. We were in loop-D. One complaint that I have about this campground is the lack of a policy (or lack of policy enforcement) limiting the number and size of cars, boats, and golf carts at one site. The roads in loop D are narrow and it can be a tight squeeze because some visitors parked boats and cars partially on the road. The sites in loop D were gravel, reasonably level, and close together. A large number of the most spacious and most scenic lake front sites are designated as “walk up” sites, which means that you cannot reserve them. Once claimed, a walk-up site can be held for up to 21 days, so you can expect these to be taken up to three weeks before a summer holiday. The campground and beach area looked clean and well kept. There is a well stocked camp store. I had a site with sewage hook up (D-10), but the drain was located at the front of the site, and I was unable to connect to it with the fifteen foot hose that I carry. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and it was no trouble canceling my reservation and getting a refund. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Travel Trailer.

suzeeque

We have camped here many times. It is a beautiful, wooded, well-maintained campground. There are many sites right on the lake and many others with views of the lake. The staff is friendly and helpful. We made reservations for weekend visits because it is usually full. The sites are well-spaced with plenty of room. The campground is about an hour from our home and we keeping going back because it is hard to find anywhere else that is any nicer place to camp. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Travel Trailer.

VagabondGpa

Great spot right on the lake. Nice breeze even in mid July. The people at check in were very friendly and helpful. Only stayed one night, but next time we'll stay longer. Nice grassy areas and plenty of gravel on the sites to prevent mud when raining. Showers and restrooms very nice. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Travel Trailer.

joanofarc

I arrived a day early and was put in Section D after asking if there was availability in Section C where my reservations for the next day started. I was to find out the next day that the very site I reserved for the next night was empty on the night I was placed in "D". In speaking to other campers, it's not unusual for reservations not to know which sites become vacant. It might be because of the late check out time. Unlike other campgrounds I've camped in, you don't put your name/date of departure on the pole, you keep it in your vehicle. Section D was very family oriented. There were kids riding bikes everywhere and every which way without helmets, which surprised me. I might have enjoyed it had I had little kids with me, but they would have been wearing helmets and limitations as to where they rode. I moved to Section C the following day--much nicer sites and beautiful views of the lake. My site was long and difficult to get into as many of them are, but level once I got settled. I enjoyed the rest of my stay. I could not get cell service in Section D, but it was very clear in Section C. One employee (volunteer?) was a very nice gentleman in the camp store where I purchased wood. He was a lovely man. I would only camp here, again, in order to join friends if they chose to camp here. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Orlan

Great park, well kept, some sites are close, but in section "A" they were well spaced. Nearly all with trees. Some of the lakeside sites looked very nice. Great management and very helpful. However, limited cell service and no data service. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Motorhome.

glbaker44

This park was run by the TVA when we lived in the area. Now the US Forest service runs it. It has new restrooms and the roads are a lot better, but I for one prefer it the way it was back in the 70's & 80's. Now you feel like you are in a fish bowl. Just too many people for us to endure. And as they say, "You can't go back to the way is was," and we definitely won't go back. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Sunshine8363

We camped in T10, and except for slight need to level, it was perfect. The park is beautiful and well maintained. Campsites large and terraced with lots of shade. We really enjoyed all the available activities. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

budwang

Spent 9 nights on site A1. Great roomy campground site w/50 amp and water. Shade and Direct TV usable w/rooftop mount. Paved roads/gravel site. Sites too close and would do well for an update and remove about every other site. Beach are small but nice. Great meal at Mr. Bills (2" pork chop house special) in Grand Rivers. Went to playhouse in town Friday night and was decent show. Check in hosts excellent in that my 1st site was not suitable for my rig. Great assistance in relocating. Paducah within 30 minutes and nice tourist visit. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

210jem

Huge spread out U.S. Forest Service campground beside Kentucky Lake at Land Between The Lakes. Price $40/night but 50% discount with Golden Age passport. Surprised by this high price. By their campsite map, six clean bathhouses with showers and three toilet only facilities, which means long hikes from most of the 378 sites, certainly for tent campers. Paved roads with gravel sites, some not level. Has water and electricity, and RV dump stations. Few sites with on-site sewer connections. Has boat ramps and swimming areas, archery range, play grounds, fishing docks. Wooded shady area. Beautiful lake. Did an overnight on trip. Would stay again. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Hillman Ferry Campground?