Grand Rivers, Kentucky

Grand Rivers, Kentucky

820 Hillman Ferry Rd
Grand Rivers, Kentucky 42045

Latitude: 36.927552204034
  • Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?
  • ATT Cellular Phone Providers Cellular Phone Providers ATT
  • Hiking Hiking yes
  • Amphitheatre Amphitheatre yes
  • Lake Lake yes

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $28.00

Full hookup sites limited to section C2 . Sites spaced on hillside with wide gravel pads, fire ring and table. 30 amp service in this section, 50 amp on other side of campground. Lots of activities and nice facilities. Check-in took some time because of crowd...check out time is 3:30pm. Back-in sites seem pretty dicey for entry without neighbors helping watch for large rocks, poles, pad timbers and odd angles. Pretty level site. Small store in campground, bike rentals, lots of golf carts, great nature center, elk/bison drive-through 16 miles away, annual hummingbird festival(fun), and town within 5 miles. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

C2 88

Trails, drag boat racing that weekend, Patti`s 1880`s compound for food/shops, elk/bison ($5 cash) thru gate 16 miles away (50 elk & 50 bison....cute calves)...you can circle around more than once...go towards dusk for more animal sightings, archery range in campground, Nature Center is quite extensive with animals, etc. (eagle, blizzard, owls, bats, bees, snakes, turtles, red wolves, coyote, deer, Turkey's, possums, groundhogs, insects, garden....hummingbirds.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $1.00

We learned a Great deal in the RV'ing world by going to this RV Campsite. Reviews posted here lack a ton of info that you need to know if you have a "Big Rig" Having said that, I will give you the Bad & to be fair, the Good. The Good! 1. Friendly Staff 2. Very adequate Store at camp 3. Landscape (Grass) well maintained The Bad! 1. NOT Big Rig Friendly. There is a Lack of Back up & swing Room due to the Pine Trees at most sites in Section "T". DO NOT rely on the staff here (on phone or there) to help you pick a site if you have a Large Rig. (our 5th Whl & Truck is over 60') There are 100's of Lg Pine trees in section T. (The Wagon Wheel) MANY of them are just inches off the Rd and the Rds in this section are tight turns. As promised, our site WAS long enough. But what they failed to tell us (& you) was that many (not all) of these sites don't have enough "swing" room to back in. Even SOME "pull through's" lack enough swing room to get OUT because of all the Many Pine Trees right off the drive. Only way we were able to back in was to use the vacant site across from us. While attempting to back in, our 5th wheel got off of pavement 4 " causing my rig to lean to one side almost up against one the many trees right off the road. 2. Due to so many tree's, most of the sites will not get TV OR Satellite, or Phone or Data service. (we were able to Text) 3. A TON of people. (if you objective is to "get away from it all", this isn't the place. 4. Sites WAY too close 5. Golf carts EVERYWHERE. Everyone is obsessed with Golf carts at the Campground??? 6. Kids Everywhere. I know,,, this sounds Bad! We Love kids, but our kids are grown & my wife is a Elem Teacher. The last thing she wants to be around on Vac is Kids. I would highly suggest going anytime other that School Breaks or Summer Vacation. In conclusion, if you have a Short (35'or shorter)T.T. Coach or 5th whl, you'll be fine. Anything Longer, you might be in for a Major headache. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

T-39

Tight Turns, Obstacles

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $40.00

Very large back in site, we had full hookups (water, sewer and 50amp) Beautiful area, we could walk to Kentucky Lake from our site. Liked that the sites were not right on top of each other. Convenient to attracts, should definitely visit the Bison/Elk prairie, go early morning to see. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Motorhome.

Loop

Visit the 1850 Settlement working Farm (you can take your dog), the Bison/Elk prairie (go early morning when they are all out) beautiful scenery, very restful trip. Great area for fishermen.

Not impressed with Patti's 1880 restaurant. Overpriced for food and service.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $36.00

One of our favorite parks. The people are always super friendly and we've been here alot and never seems to be too crowded. Open all year with great trails for bicycling and walking. The people at check-in will help you find a suitable spot for your larger rigs. We have a 43 foot toy hauler and found it best to spend one night where we could fit and then used our bicycles to check out all the sites and then moved to where we are now and check-in people were super agreeable to this once we cleared it with them before moving. The AT&T service here was poor this time (first time I've noticed that) as far as internet and we dropped a few calls too. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

d45

Eating at Patti's 1880 Settlement in Grand Rivers (5 miles) is a must - and we've made the journey here just for that, before. Paducah (about 30 miles) has a great Hancock's for fabric (wife is a quilter).

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $32.00

Grand Rivers, KY Hillman Ferry Campground - Land Between the Lakes - Huge campground, 300+ sites. Depending on what you are looking for some primitive, electric only, W/E, and FUP's. All have picnic table and fire ring. Some loops have water view. Loop C has some water sites and some you can reserve and some walk up only. Sites are gravel, be careful reserving I would call there are no pics on site to make sure you will fit. Few level sites and some very un-level. 2 dump stations. Campground has shower houses and toilet facilities separate which I like. Shower houses are individual locked rooms which is nice and pretty clean. Didn't use toilet facilities. Roads to get to campground from Louisville, KY were great very easy to get to. Once in campground the main road is very nice but the loops to get to sites some are very narrow with trees very close to roads so just be careful - I saw everything from Class A, C, 5vers, TT, popups and tents just make sure you call for proper site. Cell phone coverage hit and miss (Verizon & ATT) loop C where we were very good but we were right on lake. Further into campground had no service. Great Outpost to purchase about anything you need from firewood, ice, food, rent bikes. Couple boat ramps and fishing pier within campground and swimming area in loop A. Also during summer months they have live bands on certain nights. Golf carts and can be used as well. Lots to do boating, fishing, hiking, mountain biking. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Travel Trailer.

C 65

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $28.00

Hillman Ferry is a large campground! It is easy to get lost if you do not have a map. Check-in was orderly for us, about five minutes. However, we checked in on the Thursday of Memorial Day weekend. When we left Friday night to go eat in Grand Rivers, the line was almost a quarter mile long, so obviously check-in was slower. Most sites are water and electric only. The dump station, which we used twice during our stay, was well set up and easy to access. Our site was in C loop and right on the water. The spacing between each site where we were was about 300 feet on both sides. Beautiful view! Be sure and read closely on the description as you reserve sites. Ours was level but the approach off the road was very steep. We saw a number of sites that were not level. As I said earlier, Hillman is a big campground. The distance to the shower house, boat dock, camp store and other places are far apart. Many people brought in golf carts to get around. The boat dock was not too busy, even on Memorial Day weekend. The shower houses were clean, the only thing I didn't like about ours was the individual shower rooms lacked a mirror. The camp store was well provisioned (no alcohol sales however!) and the NPS volunteers who staffed the store were friendly and helpful. Our campground host and hostess made a point to introduce themselves to us and let us know if we needed anything to let them know. Even though we were on the far end of the campground, we saw Park Rangers drive around our loop four times during our stay. That was a good thing as there were a number of kids on the road walking and biking. Hillman also had bands playing at the campground Saturday and Sunday nights. All in all, it was a great experience and we will return again. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Motorhome.

C 66

Date of Stay: June, 2014 - $40.00

We had reservations at Hillman Ferry Campground for five nights the week before the 4th of July week. We canceled and left after one night. It was way too crowded for us. We were in loop-D. One complaint that I have about this campground is the lack of a policy (or lack of policy enforcement) limiting the number and size of cars, boats, and golf carts at one site. The roads in loop D are narrow and it can be a tight squeeze because some visitors parked boats and cars partially on the road. The sites in loop D were gravel, reasonably level, and close together. A large number of the most spacious and most scenic lake front sites are designated as “walk up” sites, which means that you cannot reserve them. Once claimed, a walk-up site can be held for up to 21 days, so you can expect these to be taken up to three weeks before a summer holiday. The campground and beach area looked clean and well kept. There is a well stocked camp store. I had a site with sewage hook up (D-10), but the drain was located at the front of the site, and I was unable to connect to it with the fifteen foot hose that I carry. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and it was no trouble canceling my reservation and getting a refund. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2013 - $28.00

Great spot right on the lake. Nice breeze even in mid July. The people at check in were very friendly and helpful. Only stayed one night, but next time we'll stay longer. Nice grassy areas and plenty of gravel on the sites to prevent mud when raining. Showers and restrooms very nice. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2013 - $25.00

We have camped here many times. It is a beautiful, wooded, well-maintained campground. There are many sites right on the lake and many others with views of the lake. The staff is friendly and helpful. We made reservations for weekend visits because it is usually full. The sites are well-spaced with plenty of room. The campground is about an hour from our home and we keeping going back because it is hard to find anywhere else that is any nicer place to camp. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: September, 2012 - $17.00

I arrived a day early and was put in Section D after asking if there was availability in Section C where my reservations for the next day started. I was to find out the next day that the very site I reserved for the next night was empty on the night I was placed in "D". In speaking to other campers, it's not unusual for reservations not to know which sites become vacant. It might be because of the late check out time. Unlike other campgrounds I've camped in, you don't put your name/date of departure on the pole, you keep it in your vehicle. Section D was very family oriented. There were kids riding bikes everywhere and every which way without helmets, which surprised me. I might have enjoyed it had I had little kids with me, but they would have been wearing helmets and limitations as to where they rode. I moved to Section C the following day--much nicer sites and beautiful views of the lake. My site was long and difficult to get into as many of them are, but level once I got settled. I enjoyed the rest of my stay. I could not get cell service in Section D, but it was very clear in Section C. One employee (volunteer?) was a very nice gentleman in the camp store where I purchased wood. He was a lovely man. I would only camp here, again, in order to join friends if they chose to camp here. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2012 - $20.00

Great park, well kept, some sites are close, but in section "A" they were well spaced. Nearly all with trees. Some of the lakeside sites looked very nice. Great management and very helpful. However, limited cell service and no data service. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2012 - $17.00

This park was run by the TVA when we lived in the area. Now the US Forest service runs it. It has new restrooms and the roads are a lot better, but I for one prefer it the way it was back in the 70's & 80's. Now you feel like you are in a fish bowl. Just too many people for us to endure. And as they say, "You can't go back to the way is was," and we definitely won't go back. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: May, 2012 - $22.00

We camped in T10, and except for slight need to level, it was perfect. The park is beautiful and well maintained. Campsites large and terraced with lots of shade. We really enjoyed all the available activities. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: September, 2011 - $22.00

Spent 9 nights on site A1. Great roomy campground site w/50 amp and water. Shade and Direct TV usable w/rooftop mount. Paved roads/gravel site. Sites too close and would do well for an update and remove about every other site. Beach are small but nice. Great meal at Mr. Bills (2" pork chop house special) in Grand Rivers. Went to playhouse in town Friday night and was decent show. Check in hosts excellent in that my 1st site was not suitable for my rig. Great assistance in relocating. Paducah within 30 minutes and nice tourist visit. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2011 - $40.00

Huge spread out U.S. Forest Service campground beside Kentucky Lake at Land Between The Lakes. Price $40/night but 50% discount with Golden Age passport. Surprised by this high price. By their campsite map, six clean bathhouses with showers and three toilet only facilities, which means long hikes from most of the 378 sites, certainly for tent campers. Paved roads with gravel sites, some not level. Has water and electricity, and RV dump stations. Few sites with on-site sewer connections. Has boat ramps and swimming areas, archery range, play grounds, fishing docks. Wooded shady area. Beautiful lake. Did an overnight on trip. Would stay again. We camped at Hillman Ferry Campground in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Hillman Ferry Campground ?