Horse Cave KOA

• Billiards Billiards yes
  • Pond Pond yes

Danno

Date of Stay: July, 2015 - $40.00

I like this KOA but it comes with some caveats. Good things include wide enough roads to maneuver, nice pool and other activities for the kids, including a very worn mini-golf course. My only real hesitation is the lack of level sites. We stayed in one of the ten full hookup pull-throughs at the lowest level. I was able to level my 5er by lowering the nose landing gear fully. I don't like doing that, but at least I was able to get level. Some of the other campsites up the hill were laughable. Many slope both front to rear and side to side. Granted most of these were their smaller sites but still, do some leveling before graveling in these sites. We also rented one of their cabins for a few days and it was very nice for about $100 per night. Wi-Fi connected okay but seldom provided an Internet connection. Both Verizon and AT&T had good signals. There is road noise from nearby I-65 too. The KOA put on a very nice fireworks show on the 4th. I'd stay here again but be ready for leveling challenges. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

jdtex

Date of Stay: March, 2015 - $29.00

I easily reserved my camping spot on KOA's corporate website. I arrived at dusk and the office was closed. No problem there, as I am always able to find my site by using the map that is provided in the envelope typically left posted at the kiosk for late arrivals. The problem is that there was no envelope that told which spot I was assigned. Also, there were no paper maps to take with me in the camper as I drove around. The same situation was faced by the camper who arrived just after I did, and he must have circled the campground for 15 minutes trying to find his site, going faster with each pass as he grew aggravated. If you have trouble with noise, you may want to stay elsewhere, as this KOA is located just off very busy I-65, at an interchange with a truck stop. The engine brake noise was a bit much. On the good side, the bathroom was clean. However, the trash can out front was overflowing. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Tent.

I have a small camper and can handle the roads, but there are some challenging steep grades and sharp curves for the bigger campers. Interstate noise was a problem.

Adirondack Ed

Date of Stay: October, 2014 - $35.00

This park is beautifully kept and visually very appealing. My only complaint was that the sites for big rigs were not at all level. It was like parking on a hill. It was beyond the capability of my Atwood Leveleg system to level the coach. Because I couldn't level it, I couldn't open the slides which was very annoying. I successfully connected to the WiFi but there was no internet available. I tried calling the office but there was no answer although admittedly it was late (about 8 PM). It probably just required the WiFi to be rebooted and wouldn't normally be a problem. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Motorhome.

JAKIE

Date of Stay: August, 2013 - $44.00

Ok RV park. The site we were first given "with shade" had none, and the site was so sloped we could not level our RV. We were able to move to a site with shade but still had to lift the right front tire 12 inches off the ground to get close to level. WiFi is ok, better than most. You will hear the interstate highway. Ok place to stay, however we will try another campground next time we come this way. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Motorhome.

Lori Buzzelli

Date of Stay: July, 2013 - $38.00

They have done a great deal of upgrading here and it shows! Cabins look like they are fairly new. They have put in a lot of gravel to level off and improve existing roads. Additionally, they have added ten 50 amp Full Hookup sights with a new gravel road to the East side of the park. Another level up from the 50 amp are 8 new Kamping Kabins. Within walking distance of the 50 amp sites and K2-K9 cabins, is the Catch and Release fishing pond. There are hills inside this campground but they do a good job at providing a level walking foundation, in addition, to stairs. You do have the option to drive. The pool is enclosed with depths of 3 feet to 5 feet. There is a new playground area for kids, along with miniature golf, basketball and volleyball courts. If you get tired, you can stop and rest in the covered Gazebo. The dump station equipment is surrounded by brick layers and is nicely done. The store is adequately supplied and the staff that we encountered were friendly. The trees, upon entry, were noticeably trimmed and some were marked for removal. We arrived in a 38 foot RV with a 4 door jeep toad and we were able to manuever through the grounds fine. The hill that leads down to the 50 amp section is a little steep but shouldn't be a problem. We did find that the pull through sites need a bit of work yet with leveling. Also, pull through to us means that you do not have to disconnect your toad. Visit the website and click on their map to follow along. They have two roads that run North to South at the 50 amp section. As you come East down the hill, you find the first road has no entry. The second NS Road is the main road you turn down to get to your site. Once you pull in, you either have to disconnect or pull all the way forward, heading West now, onto the dead end road, which in turn blocks anyone South of you from exiting. This is not a problem if you are overnighting. We called the office before disconnecting, to see if we could block the road and the staff was fine with it. Doing this, allowed anyone else coming in to pull down the main North South Road to get to their 50 amp site. On the map it shows that the road curves at site 84 but actually, it goes straight to the exit. Additionally to the East of 50 amp section are fenced donkeys, free range chickens and turkeys and a penned pig. With the air on, we couldn't hear a thing. Talk to us in the morning and we'll see if the rooster crows! We would definitely stay here again if in the area. The last reviews were from 2012 and we almost didn't stay after reading them. We are glad that we gave them a chance. According to the staff, this park has had the same owners for the last 10 years. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Motorhome.

NorthernIllinoisPlumber

Date of Stay: August, 2012 - $69.00

This a cute, clean campground. We stayed in a cabin, which are very rustic, but had some issues. Several lights did not work in the cabin. I found out the toilet did not flush after making a deposit in the early A.M. I had to flush it by using a pail of water. Some of our linens had someone else's hair on them, but the staff replaced them when I called. The campground is on a hill, so if you have issues walking, do not go here. The camp is located right off the highway, so for light sleepers it may be an issue. There is a farm on the grounds, and had several chickens wandering around. They seem to keep the place clean of debris and bugs. The pool was nice, as well as the staff. One night was enough for us. Great for a layover on the way to the caves! We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Campground Cabin.

Holden Awn

Date of Stay: March, 2012 - $26.00

I tell my wife I like KOAs because one knows what to expect. This one was the exception. Beautiful area, and hills / mountains are to be expected in this cave area, but this older campground (staff said built in 1969) has been only partially updated to accommodate today's larger RVs. Hilly, terraced spots, many without full hookups, and narrow interior road(s) with sharp turns. Some former sites have been merged, two into one, but are still only about 30' long. Descriptors say they are working on building 50 amp pull through sites, but I see that's been the case for the last 4 or 5 years. Though this camp is a KOA, and right off the KY I-65 highway, we were the only rig in this park for our March overnight - which says a lot. Clean park, friendly staff, but I would not stay here again. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Columbus OH

Date of Stay: June, 2011 - $29.00

We thought this was a good campground that allowed us to see all the local attractions and it was reasonably priced (reflects KOA discount). The pool, bathrooms and showers were very clean and the park was very quiet - we were not bothered by the highway. Wi-Fi worked great, but no cable hookup and difficult to get television. Staff was very nice and helpful. My children enjoyed the playground and mini-golf. Campsites are gravel, uneven, and tight in spots. I would use this park again if I were staying in the area. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Travel Trailer.

DogsBus

Date of Stay: June, 2011 - $29.00

We count on KOA campgrounds to adhere to a specific standard but this one was barely okay. Staff was not particularly friendly or helpful. We had to move from our so-called pull through site because it was so small and narrow our awning stuck out into the camp road! No grass or even enough space to set up a lawn chair. Our site was not clean. We picked up trash and cigarette butts ourself. But the absolute worst thing was the LOUD, beyond belief freeway noise: all day and all night! We will not return to this KOA. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Waukenabogirl

Date of Stay: May, 2011 - $42.00

This campground is close to Mammoth Cave. It has few other redeeming qualities. It is not up to KOA standards. It is set in a hilly, terraced area. The "Pull through" sites are either on very uneven ground with a steep incline to navigate on the far end, or shallow pullouts along the busy campground road that put your door nearly on the road. The back-in sites are very short even for our 28' Class C, and sloped in two directions. Although there are many nice shade trees, the noise from the freeway is so loud and constant it is not pleasant to sit outside. The picnic tables were almost unusable due to heavy warping and splinters. The sites were messy and had potholes. The advertised 50 amp sites were still being "developed." They may offer space for larger rigs. However, at the present a large motorhome or 5th wheel would have a very difficult time getting into most of the sites as well as navigating the campground roads. The staff were neither friendly, nor helpful. There are many other nearby campgrounds. I would not camp here again. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Motorhome.

HeyJude

Date of Stay: August, 2009 - $36.00

Not a bad campground but close to I-65 so there is a lot of vehicle noise. Restrooms and showers were very clean. The staff was extremely nice and allowed us to put up two tents in addition to our trailer so we could have 10 of us on one site. The 50 amp sites and cable TV advertised do not exist and you can only use the Wi-Fi at the office. The playground and pool were OK and they have free miniature golf. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Travel Trailer.

ppmccormick

Date of Stay: March, 2009 - $25.00

We arrive after dark (10pm) and finding where to go was a challenge as they have no driveway lighting. Entered on the wrong side of the building but were able to still get into the park. The roads and sites are gravel and are in very bad shape. They are washed out in places creating large trenches that we had to drive over. Our site was very unlevel and so we slept in a crooked trailer. When we left, once again we had to cross over a washed out area. If it had not been so late and we were just there to get a few hours of sleep, we would have left. There map had a big sticker placed on it telling us what they did not have: no 50 amp, no cable, no Wi-Fi. There has to be a more convenient and better maintained place in the area. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

hitchup

Date of Stay: July, 2008 - $26.00

Easy on and off for a quick overnight stay. Plus access to gas stations nearby. Site was level enough on our pull-through that we didn't even need to unhook our 5th wheel from the truck. A whole new section of 50 amp sites are being added. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Motorhome.

SpiritHDMC

Date of Stay: September, 2007 - $26.00

This will be a great Campground! We believe it is the best in the area. We drove through all the other camps in the area and were pleased with our selection. It appears that this KOA is under new management and it shows! They are currently rebuilding and remodelling. Nice staff. Very shaded camping - rare compared to others in the area. Close to all the caves in region. We will return to this campground! Read a couple of reviews that mention road noise from the Interstate. Yes, there was road noise but this did not take away from the campgrounds. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Zippinsusie

Date of Stay: October, 2005 - $25.00

Pretty campground. Needs some upkeep, but overall a good place to stop for a night or two. Noise from the interstate was a bit of a bother. We camped at Horse Cave KOA in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Horse Cave KOA?