Bass Harbor Campground

Bass Harbor, Maine

Recent Rate: $47 6/2014

elaine170

As someone else mentioned, this campground IS NOT big rig friendly. The inner roads are incredibly tight with many obstacles in the way. Fences, rocks, railroad ties, and other campers. Utilities are fine. Sites are not level. Dog walk is overgrown with grass and weeds. Bathrooms are dated but adequate. We were there before the busy season. Can't imagine it with a full camp. We will find another campground as long as we are in a bigger camper/fifth wheel. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Wsurf

Very busy camp, but is was the middle of August and next to Acadia National Park. Sites are close together. Shuttle bus stops across the street, very convenient. Staff was very polite and helpful. Not sure if we would stay there again as it was busy and the sites close together, not our first choice, but the location cannot be beat. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Orlan

Not as big rig friendly as they say, had trouble getting into and out of the site. Other than that a great campground. Friendly staff and good location on the "quiet" side of the island. Rate reflects weekly rate. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Motorhome.

rst6

I was very happy with the quiet, rustic feel of this campground that has all the amenities and very friendly staff. The bathrooms/showers are kept nicely and the campground is almost part of Acadia National Park (most of the National Park is around it). The free shuttle bus provides an alternative to driving to many of the places to see in the area. I would definitely recommend it (pet friendly too). We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Motorhome.

kcountrymouse

We stayed at this campground in July 2009, the people were very friendly and nice, and the area was amazing, right near Acadia National Park, however the sites for trailers were way too close together and hardly any room to park a truck on your site,I would not recommend this park for trailers or rv's because the sites were right on top of one another. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Vic.

The campground is rather washed out in appearance, and with ruts and mud from a week ago rain storm with no apparent repair started. In general, a very used look and lack of maintenance appearance like overgrown grass, difficult walking caused by many loose rocks on the roads, mosquitoes, 5 gallon container full of water very dark at night with no lights etc, bring a flashlight. They advertise Wi Fi so I expected my Mac to work as it had in every park, but the owners only response was “mine works fine”. I had to go in town to the library for needed internet connection which was with Wi FI. Overall the poorest camp stayed at on my trip. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Motorhome.

burt

Kind owners, new restrooms but way too far away from attractions. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Motorhome.

Suzisme

If you want quiet, this campground has it. But it stops there. The grass hadn't been mowed in a long time. I did see someone out cutting it with a push mower but only did a small area. We picked this place because I wanted to be out of the "mainstream" of tourism. I did get that and enjoyed walking/biking to the lighthouse. We used our own shower/bathroom so I can't speak on that. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Motorhome.

vanCAMP

We decided to stay here due to the lower prices. We had researched the campground via their website, which is very nice, and called the campground directly and were assured that it was a beautiful place to camp and clean. The restrooms were advertised as "new and clean". We were sorely disappointed when we arrived and the bath house roofs were caving in and doors hanging off the hinges. The showers had mold in them. We complained and were given a lot of hassle - we found the staff very unfriendly and unwilling to help. When we complained about the mold in the showers, we were told that it was impossible because the staff had "just painted over all the mold". We left the campground after one night and fought for a refund, due to false advertising, which we eventually received. The sites were also very overgrown. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Tent Trailer.

Allegroman

RV sites are densely packed, tent sites are better spaced. Trees need to be trimmed back on sites, and grass needs to be trimmed. Gravel barely adequate on many sites. This is an OK campground on the quiet side of Acadia, away from the traffic. Quiet, unless you end up with a crowd of kids next to you like we did. The best part of the place are the hookups: a good 50 amps (strong voltage), good cable TV system with 70 channels, water and sewer. The pool is small and heavily used by kids, but well maintained. Bathhouse and laundry facilities are very old and grubby. The price is one of the lowest on Mount Desert Island. Some people won't like the distance from the ocean loop drive and Bar Harbor, but we didn't mind it. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Motorhome.

stumps

I will give a fair and detailed review, but my overall assessment is that this campground is a dump. Pure and simple. To me each campground has things that are OK but that need work, and then there is unacceptable, and there were lots of things at this campground that are just unacceptable. First, the interior roads - full of potholes and very, very narrow, one car can't pass without being scraped by tree branches. Second, the bathhouse - just disgusting. Old, old fixtures, stained and mildew everywhere, and shower stalls are so small the curtain sticks to you as you shower. Also, every time the washing machines kick on, you get a blast of cold or hot water. Just not well planned facilities. The laundry room was equally unkept. Overall, what is unacceptable to me is the level of care this campground receives from it's owners. I do a fair bit of my own home maintenance, and there is not one thing I saw that met my own standards - pipes run here and there, blocks of wood stuffed here, paint sloshed to cover up a bigger problem, dirty, old equipment, junk piled up, water lines running above ground from site to site along the ground, etc. All i can think of is that the current owner is just sitting on the property waiting to cash out. No serious business owner could possibly allow the current condition to continue. I know this seems harsh, but I can think of no other way to put it. In fairness, I'll give two positives that I found while staying there. Bass Harbor as a town is nice, the lighthouse is a great place to stay and we found a few nice local restaurants. Also, there are several seasonal residents who work at the campground store, and I met several who were just wonderful. So nice, in fact, that I hesitated posting my review, but nice store help doesn't make up for a serious lack of attention to the rest of the facility. In fairness, this campground is ideal for two groups of campers that I can think of. First, folks in nice motorhomes who never need to use the interior roads, bathhouses, or laundry rooms, and are looking for a cheap place to park and hookup. Second, this is a great place for tent campers who couldn't get into to Seawall but wanted to camp in that area and have electric and water and a place to shower, though, I'd take my chances anywhere else on the island, and if Bass Harbor was the only place open, I'd go back up towards Elsworth. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Tent Trailer.

Butch

Have not used this campground in a few years. Upgrades have made this campground useable by motor homes, altho sites are not many in number. Enjoy this campground as it is quiet and more or less off the beaten path. Acadia National Park, on Mount Desert Island, can be very busy. In a previous review, the writer complained about the grounds being smoke filled. What I believe this person was experiencing was fog from the ocean. What the locals call "sea smoke". The fog is caused by temperature inversion. New owner is most accommodating, staff friendly and helpful when needed. Was great to stay here again. Will use again in the future. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Motorhome.

jrn3

This campground is strictly for parking your trailer and visiting Arcadia National Park. You are on the "quiet side" of Mount Desert Island. You can hear the lighthouse. A free shuttle pulls up to the campsite in case you don't want to drive to Bar Harbor. It stops at all the popular sightseeing places. The pool was nothing special, but this is not the place to hang out at your campsite for the day. Beautiful stargazing. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Travel Trailer.

dc915f

This is a nice Campground on the quiet side of MT. Dessert Island. Its about 20 minutes from Bar Harbor. The new owners are fixing the place up real nice. Some of the campground sites can be a bit tricky to pull a 30'+ trailer into but the pull throughs are much easier. The restrooms are a bit older but functional. They have a clean pool and a small game room for the kids. They also have camping cabins and very nice tent sites. We enjoyed this Campground because it was away from all the traffic and crowds in Bar Harbor. We camped at Bass Harbor Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Bass Harbor Campground?