Acres Of Wildlife Campground

Steep Falls, Maine

• yes-lake Waterfront

clw_man

Another great stay at Acres of Wildlife! This campground keeps making some wonderful improvements. Year after year they add sites, clear trees, and are constantly making the sites better and better. This year they also added some tree houses for campers to rent. So if you do not have a camper you can still find a way to have a great time at Acres. We have been coming here for many years and it always great to go back. This weekend was no different. They did a great job with their Halloween weekend by having a Haunted House and such great campers to make the campground something spectacular. There is no doubt that we will return again. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Everyboysmomma

We spent a 4 day weekend here with our 4 year old grandson. We had a wonderful site (13D) that was very large, level, and had water, electric, and sewer. The people who run this place are very friendly and accommodating. Most of the sites are larger than we have seen at "resort" campgrounds where the owners are trying to get every cent they can out of the property by placing people on top of each other. The campground is well laid out. The lake is clean and inviting and there are 2 swim out docks for jumping and lounging. Personal floats are allowed. There are all kinds of boats to rent, or you can bring your own. We stayed too long at the beach one night and grandson was starving, so we ordered pizza at the campground pub and it was surprisingly good and very fairly priced. All of the bathrooms were clean. There were many activities for all ages and interests. One of the things that I liked best about the way this campground is laid out is that there seems to have been some thought put into the planning of seasonal and transient sites. We have been to places where we feel like we don't belong because we are the only transients in among all seasonals. This was not the case at Acres of Wildlife. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will be back. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

lopenzani

First time visitors and we were pleasantly surprised. The site we had was spacious, clean and wooded. Yeah, the road coming in is not the greatest, but it's not to bad if you go slow. The beach is nice and as the campground is so big, we had plenty of places to ride around. They also have a significantly stocked store with decent pricing. They make a decent effort with the kids activities. The fire engine ride and magician were the kids favorites. We plan to camp here again. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Motorhome.

cbshea02

Nice place, 3 mile long drit road they are on is a little much. Sites are spacious and they did several upgrades this winter, glad to see money being invested back in. The biggest reason for the 7 is that many of the sites have been regraded with sand. It is very soft and not level, one member of our group needed 4 wheel drive to pull camper out of site. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

clw_man

Family favorite for sure!!! We have been camping here for the past 5 years. This year we stayed the entire week with 3 teenagers. Aside from driving down a 3 mile unpaved road, this campground has it all and no reason to leave. The staff do a great job getting everyone to participate in the activities. Aside from getting your meals and beverages for free, this is like an all inclusive resort. There is always something to do from 9am to 9pm 7 days a week. You can be as active as you want or you can sit by the private lake and just read a book. They have mini golf, bumper cars, arcade, BMX course, mud bog, hiking trails, and even more etc... Most of the sites are well shaded except for Hummingbird Meadow "Safari Field". That is where they house all of the big rigs with 50 amps etc... The store is reasonably price and what you would expect to pay for the convenience. The Chub Pub and Marias Diner have great food if you choose to eat out. We have booked our weekend for Halloween weekend and next summer. If you have kids this is a great place, just be ready to stay busy as they will pull you to each and every activity. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Travel Trailer.

gr8outdoors53

Everytime we visit, I'm reminded why it's one of my family's favorite campgrounds. It's quaint and old school camping like I remember growing up. The facilities are always clean and everyone is very friendly. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Tent Trailer.

blazer1918

The road into the campground is very rough. The owners do attempt to keep it smooth by grading it often however the road is sand based and quickly becomes a washboard. We camped in the safari field. We had sewer, water and electric however the sewer connection was placed in a manner that it ended up above our camper and gravity will not push waste uphill no matter how full the black water tank is!! The sewers were overflowing most of the time we were here, we did get the management to come by and pump the tank out once. The lake is very nice, decent beach and the water is clean. Most of the activities are expensive: mini golf was $4.00 per person which gets expensive after a few days. The bathrooms and showers were very clean, some of the cleanest I have seen in a campground. Overall, I would say the activities for the kids were OK, although the times posted would be indiscriminately changed with no notice which gets frustrating. I don't think we will return to this campground in the near future. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Travel Trailer.

User256

This was a very nice family CG. Lots of activities for the children. Sites were wooded and level. Quiet, clean and very friendly staff. Would definitely go back. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Travel Trailer.

jandaplus2

OK we camped here last year and hated it, but we thought that we would try it again. Not sure why. The main road is still crap. The sites are TOO SMALL. The cost of most activities are way to much. $4.00 for mini golf, that needs to be changed to look like mini golf. $1.75 for a small bottle of soda. I almost messed my pants. Would we go back: NO WAY. We were nice to try it again and I wish we hadn't. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Joe Camper

Tons of fun for the kids. Nice people there. This is our favorite campground. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Travel Trailer.

amercier4

My family and spent a weekend last year at Acres of Wildlife. We were invited there by friends that go every year at this time. Must say that I'm having mixed feelings about the experience. The first experience was of the 3 mile gravel entrance road. Not sure if it was due to recent rain or if it was the normal state of the road, but have you ever experienced the "wash board" effect on a gravel road? It darn near vibrated my fillings out. Knocked a lot of things off the shelves in the camper, and we've never had anything fall before. Second impression was of all the kids. Granted, we checked in early Friday evening and everyone was out in force. That along with the entrance's proximity to the mini-golf course, rec building and basketball court explained all the kids. We stayed in the safari field and all in all the site was fine. Had water and electric, no sewer (more on this later). Would rather have a clear road through the field but instead they have you drive across willy nilly. There were plenty of activities and the facilities were all top notch, although I agree with Crowe about "Manny's Garage". As you come around the office/store into the main part of the campground, you find yourself smack dab in the middle of the cg's maintenance yard. Not a real big deal, but I just don't want to have to see the maintenance equipment, trucks, etc. in the campground. Should be isolated and hidden IMO. The worst part of the whole weekend was late Sunday morning. Since we didn't have a sewer site, we had to visit the dump station on the way out. Now, I know that the dump station by definition is not particularly sanitary. But this was down right disgusting. Acres advertises that they have a 3 bay dump station (3 pads/holes in a row so 3 trailers can dump at the same time). Each pad has small square hole to dump into (about 1.5'x1'). Seems that at some point, Acres had bolted metal grates across the hole so that instead of putting the hose down the hole, you lay it onto the pad and let 'er rip. Well, as you can imagine, the problem arises when not all the fecal matter in your tanks has been digested by the tank chemicals. As I pulled up to the dumping station, I was greeted by the presence of mounds of previous dumpers waste resting atop the grates. And it was not their fault, there was simply nowhere for the undigested matter to go (1/2" spaces between the grates and they were bolted down). In fact, the middle station was so clogged that there was a layer of scummy water (not sure if it was grey or black) across the top rendering it unusable. I chose the "cleanest" of the three and tried my hardest to remain clean. While I was dumping, a cg employee pulled up in his golf cart with a rake to the clogged station and started to try and push everything through the grate. I'm pretty sure I heard someone vomiting at the last station as I was putting things away. If I thought I could find a dump station anywhere close to my route home, I'd have driven right out of there. Without a doubt, the most disgusting experience I've ever had (or heard about) at a dump station. And yes, use your imagination about how bad it could have been and it was that bad! Do yourself a favor and just don't come here. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

pookyellis

I was disappointed, I have to admit. I felt like the place was a ghost town except for the partiers at night staying in the cabins. I was told the activities were fabulous. They were ok, many things cost extra (a lot extra). I realize this was their last weekend, but it was our first stay so they could have put some more effort into it. There was a pj party my kids were excited about but the seasonals were rude and drunk. We felt out of place being transients. However, the campground is very pretty. The sites are large and very woodsy. Many of the sites were on the water. Plenty of bathrooms although the dead bugs in the sink was a turn-off. I also think they need to get rid of the junk yard of trailers. It really takes away from the ambiance. We made the most of this campground but I don't think it was worth the two hour drive we made. We have definitely been to better. I don't think we will return. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Travel Trailer.

mwebber78

Very nice park. We camped on Blueberry Hill site 13E. The site was plenty deep and offered easy in/out access to the site via the road. The campground has many Theme weekends and this particular weekend was "Blue Grass" weekend with many live bands, buffet, ice cream, hay-less hayrides and much more. The facility has the best pub/food service around and the camp store has it all. Very pleasing staff and fellow campers. Overall it is clean and obvious they take a lot of pride in this place. Only a few things keep this from a 10 ranking. The first was golf carts from seasonal users which were a bit loud/fast on a few occasions and our site was next to a not very friendly seasonal camper. This particular camper had no interest in being even slightly friendly. However, a walk around the rest of the park showed us quickly that other than a few bad apples the majority of campers/seasonal people were friendly and a joy to be with. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Nik

This was our 3rd Memorial Day weekend camping and the best one yet. Great CG, lots of kid-friendly events and things to see and do. Play grounds, pool (although it wasn't open at that time. Private lake and sandy beach was wonderful. Sites were kind of tight and ours wasn't the easiest to get into for our first excursion with the truck camper but we managed. If we'd have had the popup, it would have been VERY tight. Thats where the 8 comes from. WE DID see some nice water only sites that were incredible. Clean baths. Lots of woods to explore. We camped at Acres Of Wildlife Campground in a Truck Camper.

Are you affiliated with Acres Of Wildlife Campground?