Papoose Pond Resort & Campground

Recent Rate: $36 6/2015

• Big Rig Access Big Rig Access no
  • Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?
  • Electric (50 AMP) Electric (50 AMP) no
  • yes-lake Waterfront Waterfront yes-lake

Happy Camper X2

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $36.00

This is a nice "old fashion" type of campground. Lots of choices in cabins and sites, some with bathrooms on the site. Staff and manager are great, always willing to talk. Campground offers plenty to do if you wish or you can just enjoy sitting back and relaxing. The campground is split by a road but the road noise is not bad. This was our 2nd year in a row going the first weekend in June. Not too much in the area unless you drive 30 minutes or so. Store was well stocked with anything you would need. Will return at some point. We camped at Papoose Pond Resort & Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Gas station was a bit of a hike and not all listed on the web were open.

Happy Camper X2

Date of Stay: June, 2014 - $35.00

Went in thinking this would be a 6 or 7 rated campground and when hooking up I realized that it was not a 30 amp but only a 15 amp service. I was not sure it would be a good weekend. Luckily we did not need AC so the power was fine. The campground was clean and quiet which was nice. There is some noise from the road but that was not a problem. Lots of activities available but we just walked around. Turned out better than we thought and our site was real nice. We camped at Papoose Pond Resort & Campground in a Travel Trailer.

wfmdfm

Date of Stay: August, 2011 - $50.00

This is a well kept family campground. The sites are cleaned and raked prior to your stay. Lots of activities for the kids. Our site had very good wooded spacing. Some others were closer. The negative is Rt 118 splits the campground. This required us to cross over to get to many of the activities and facilities. Not the safest situation for children. We camped at Papoose Pond Resort & Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

fourfrosts

Date of Stay: July, 2011 - $60.00

This place was great! A little more than we normally pay, but there were a ton of offerings. Live bird of prey presentations, beach parties, kickball and activities for the kids. Bathrooms were very clean, the staff was great. The pool was clean and everything was really well managed. If I had to find a gripe it would be about the campers from away who were loud after quiet hours (11 p.m.) but that was addressed. If you have kids this should be high on your list of places to go. We can't wait to get back. We camped at Papoose Pond Resort & Campground in a Travel Trailer.

gr8outdoors53

Date of Stay: June, 2010 - $90.00

Just came back from another great stay at Papoose Pond. My family and I have been coming here off and on since I was a kid. Our stay has never been better! We stayed in a Camperlodge cabin. The cabins look just like they did when I was a kid, but they seem to take good care of them. In fact, this year we I think we had new mattresses. Last year there was a new shower stall and our firepit had a brand new fireplace. My daughter and I love the tie-dying activity as well as the carousel. They’re serious about closed toed shoes, though! Make sure you pack a pair or you’ll be making a trip to Wal-Mart like we did to buy a cheap pair. My son and husband love the canoe trips down the Crooked River. They also start each morning with a swim in the pond out to the raft. We usually swim in the smaller beach by the fishing lagoon because it is so close to our site. The water is clean and the beach is nice with a sandy bottom for the first twenty feet or so, then it gets a little mucky. Our “city folk” friends prefer the pool though, so when they camp with us, we swim in the pool instead. The snack bar is adequate and the store is fine. I think the boat rental rates are reasonable. We didn’t use the bathhouses this trip because we had a cabin, but we have used them in the past and they have always been clean. In fact, the whole place seems spotless! Last year we counted five different people on staff stop to pick up trash or wrappers on the ground. They all seem to have a stake in making the campground clean and family friendly. By the end of the week, the counselors say hi to my kids by name and we seem to have enough coupons for free Slushies to last all whole week! I guess that’s why we keep coming back year after year. The only complaint was from a couple of years ago when it took me over three hours to dry one load of towels! By the time I returned last year though, the dryer had been replaced and the new one worked just fine. Overall, Papoose Pond continues to be in our top three campgrounds. So far this year it’s at number one! We camped at Papoose Pond Resort & Campground in a Campground Cabin.

mass hills

Date of Stay: July, 2009 - $52.00

On the the positive side most of the sites are large and level. The owners of the campground are very nice. Now the negative side: the hookups are all over the place. You will need extra cord and hoses. The bathrooms most of the time were a mess. The kids went to several activities, and it was hit or miss if the activity was going on. I will not be returning to this campground. We camped at Papoose Pond Resort & Campground in a Tent Trailer.

NYMoose

Date of Stay: April, 2009 - $58.00

I have been coming here since I was a kid. The utilities need to be upgraded for the new units. They still have 20 amp outlets at some sites. They need some tree trimming s well, and road maintenance. When I have my 28 foot travel trailer I loved it, but with a 40ft motorhome the roads are challenging to say the least. Its time to dump some money into making some big rig friendly sites, with appropriate power. We camped at Papoose Pond Resort & Campground in a Motorhome.

amt_1991

Date of Stay: July, 2007 - $38.00

This will be my 10th year in a row going to Papoose Pond. It is the best campground I have ever camped at. Whenever my family camps elsewhere, we always compare our stay to that at Papoose. The activities are great (especially for kids) and nightly entertainment is really good. The staff is friendly, the beach is clean, and the campsites are beautiful. The only bad thing i could say is that sometimes during the day, the bath houses can become a little dirty, because sand and dirt gets tracked in and turns to a little bit of mud on the floor. Other than that, I couldn't say anything bad. There are lots tournaments you can enter (ping-pong, horseshoes, tennis, washer-tosser, etc.) and many ongoing activities, such as "Find the Key", where a new clue to where the key might be is posted each day (the key unlocks a prize in the camp store). Definitely have kids (and adults too) bring bikes, as that is the best means of travel throughout the campground. I would definitely recommend this campground to anyone, young or old. There is something for everybody, whether you just want to chill out and relax, or play and be active. We camped at Papoose Pond Resort & Campground in a Tent.

Lucas874

Date of Stay: July, 2007 - $48.00

We went camping at Papoose with two other families who have been camping there for over 20 years. They raved about what a great place it was, all of the activities they had etc.. The campground is split down the middle by route 118. One side of the road has the office/snack bar/ballfield and pond. The opposite side of the road, where our site was is more wooded and has a couple small playgrounds/mini golf and pool. Our site was fairly close to rt 118 and noisy at times. The water level of the pond was quite low while we were there and as a result, the beach had a horrible odor of rotting vegetation so off to the pool we went, to find it very overcrowded with unsupervised teenagers. We found the same to be true with the playground equipment. Although they do offer a wide selection of activities, many come with additional costs which can quickly add up. The bathrooms became dirty quickly because of heavy use and the cleaning schedule did not keep up with use the facilities were getting. If I were to return, I would try for an off-peak time because when the place is full, the staff is just unable to keep up with maintaining its recreational and bathroom facilities. We camped at Papoose Pond Resort & Campground in a Travel Trailer.

ricksimon

Date of Stay: June, 2007 - $35.00

We visited for a 'Special Weekend' event. Our site was fine, shaded and level. This special weekend included all meals and events for all four of us ($300). The food was out of this world. Every meal was better than most restaurants! My steak was bigger than my dog! Everything was very well organized, EXCEPT, it did nothing but rain for 14 straight hours! Every time we have visited it rains, I think we are bad luck for these poor people. It was however a great time. The owner and crew couldn't have been nicer! We camped at Papoose Pond Resort & Campground in a Tent Trailer.

ctcowgirl70

Date of Stay: June, 2007 - $99.00

Visited here on one of their ESCAPE weekends. All meals included; including Saturday night steak and lobster, Sunday brunch: all meals. Check in any time Friday, love that. LATE check out Sunday (4pm). Waterfront boats are included. Mini golf included. Carousel included. Sites are amazingly clean. Staff always raking and emptying fire pits. Pool very clean with great hours. Staff were attentive and helpful with the exception of the office manager who on two occasions was very abrupt to her co-worker who was in training. Long walk from waterfront to the rec hall, across RT 118. Bring bikes or car if possible. Can not wait to book this place again. There are so many different types of sites: shelters, mini kitchens and bathrooms on EACH site, cabins, park models, more. If you leave dissatisfied or hungry, its your own fault. One other thumbs down. The pool area should be non-smoking. People were flicking their ashes and putting out their cigs on the concrete pad, though they took their butts when they left. Still is wicked nasty. We camped at Papoose Pond Resort & Campground in a Motorhome.

abbyjane9

Date of Stay: June, 2007 - $50.00

I wanted to stay at this campground for a long time because of the shower and kitchen area on the site. This is huge when you camp in a basic pop-up. It was very nice. The campground itself was good; the activities were not great. Could have used more since it rained the whole weekend. We did not get to use the pool. But overall, it was a good weekend. The kids loved the store. Staff in store was very nice. Office staff was ok, little impatient at times but not unfriendly. We went in June and there was a lot of mosquitoes, but this is to be expected when you camp. We camped at Papoose Pond Resort & Campground in a Tent Trailer.

BillTex

Date of Stay: July, 2006 - $50.00

What a disappointment! We booked our big 2006 summer vacation here (9 days) based on all the positive reviews from this site. Frankly, we don’t understand all the glowing comments, we were very disappointed and even tried to get a refund early in the week-more on that later. First two days it rained pretty heavy, so for the most part the campground was quiet. But after the weather cleared things began to change. There was a group of young boys up the road from us that were speeding by in there cars often, we have a 5 yr old who likes to ride his bike, and this really concerned us. I found a young security guard who said he would address it and that if it happened a second time that the manager would surely toss them out (never happened). The next day, this car flew by so fast and then skidded sideways in a game of “chicken” with his buddy, I was so mad I went to the main office to complain, I spoke with an assistant Mgr I asked for a clarification on the campground rules as no one seemed to be enforcing them, and could we get a refund for the balance of the week, and also that we were very concerned about the speeding and teen rowdiness (more on that) and would like a refund. He then radioed the manager who came by to discuss the situation. He commented that the perpetrators had been camping there for many years and he was “surprised by their behavior” but would look into it and this would not be tolerated. He reported back to us that this family had brought “guests” this year and that was the root cause of the problem (they had two sites together-all the young boys were on one site). Unfortunately he must have told these folks that we were concerned with this behavior, as the young boys heckled us the entire rest of the week each time they passed our site (as we were close to the pool/game room-this occurred frequently). One night they were driving up and down the road flashing flashlights into all the sites (this was around midnight). We consider it extremely unprofessional that the Manager would disclose who had registered concerns with his office-totally inexcusable! If it weren’t for this group of undisciplined young boys things might have been ok (where were the parents in all this???). Oh yeah-we never did get a response to our request for a refund! The other complaints we have about PP are the roving gangs of teenagers (obviously drinking) late at night. We don’t have a problem with people hanging around the campfire all night having a good time, but this was way beyond that. There were many many teens here that would roam until all hours of the night (I was up till 12:30 one night because of the noise) and my wife said she was awake much later. The other significant complaint would be how much of the facilities were broken; the signature carrousel never ran all week! My wife counted 50% of all the games in the two game rooms broken (no refunds!) and the pedal cart I rented with my son had a broken transmission. (When I commented to the girl at the rental booth she replied tongue-in-cheek “what a surprise”). The pond was, well, smelly? The beach area is very small and crowded and there are leeches in the pond (be sure to burn them off or use salt or you will bleed!). We were also aware that RT 118 divides the campground, but did not imagine it would be such a busy road. Be careful here, and don’t pick a site near the road! The mostly young staff was pleasant and helpful and hard working. The activities were pretty good; tie die shirts, entertainers at night, the campfire sing along was a lot of fun. Having said all that, we decided to spend the week exploring the area, instead of hanging around the campground, and found a great beach down the road, some good kayaking and hiking, as well as good antiquing! We loved this area of Maine, still unspoiled, but could never imagine returning to PP. If you have teens and like to let them run loose, you may like it here. But if you have young children, and like a family atmosphere, you should probably look elsewhere. We understand all campgrounds are different, and are usually very tolerant of others, but to us, this place was a bit out of control. We camped at Papoose Pond Resort & Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Papoose Pond Resort & Campground?