Cape Ann Camp Site

Gloucester, Massachusetts

• Full Hookup Full Hookup no
  • Sewer Sewer no
  • Restrooms Restrooms ?

Ask fellow campers about "Cape Ann Camp Site" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $44.00

Big rigs stay at the bottom of the mountain where it's flat and are close together. Upon arrival the nice ladies in the office gave me a campsite map and marked 4 sites that were available, asking us to choose one and let them know which one. Sites on the mountain are in mature trees and site surface is dirt. I didn't see any hookup pedestals in the traditional sense but they are there, sometimes on the backside of a tree. Same with water. You need to look around a bit. We received great info about the local area and where to catch commuter trains to Boston. Very helpful office staff. The bath houses are old, could use some paint but are clean and checked regularly. I thoroughly enjoyed this campground. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Travel Trailer.

198E
Dirt, Sand

Spacious, Nearby
Some Shade, Mostly Shady

Gloucester & Rockport are nice small towns but Boston is the big attraction. 7 or 8 minute drive to commuter train stop, $4 to park and you're in Boston in an hour. Don't drive in Boston!

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $65.00

In spite of the Big Rig Access designation, this park is not big rig friendly. There are a half dozen or so sites in the lower section that can accommodate larger rigs, some with sewer and some without. The big issue is the road into the park. The narrow, twisty road didn't bother, it was the extremely low hanging branches on the road that raked the top of the coach that were terrible. Some of these were large limbs that really banged the top. Any RV over 12' tall should traverse the road at your own risk. For smaller RVs, this is a decent though not well maintained park, but it is the only thing in the Gloucester area. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Motorhome.

B2
Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $36.00

We tented at Cape Ann and our overall rating reflects our visit. Yes, there were things, like the showers, and ground maintenance that could of been addressed, but the owners are friendly and very accommodating. Our site was level, well shaded, and up on the hill that overlooked the salt marsh. Would I stay here again? Heck ya! We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Tent.

Other

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $40.00

This is an interesting campground. If you have a 30 foot or longer vehicle you stop and call the office before going up a fairly big hill. There is a sign there telling you to. We ended up with a site near the sign, on the side of a hill. The sites are terraced, so it wasn't a problem, and it was actually very level. I walked up the hill to the office to pay (she would have come down in a golf cart). We looked out over the water and it was quite nice. Check-in was easy and very friendly. When I looked at the map of the place I couldn't believe how far back it went at the top of the hill. Since we didn't go that far I can't say what it was like. Easy enough to walk the dogs. Our site was so long you could have 2 extra large motorhomes on it. The hookups were at the back of the site (it was a back-in). I would recommend this campground, at least for the area we were in. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Motorhome.

B16
Fire Ring

Featured Campgrounds Near Cape Ann Camp Site

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $40.00

The road up to the park is very hilly and curvy. If that bothers you this is not a campsite for you. If not the area is beautiful and our large rig was parked in the lower area and staff assisted us. Site looks over a water area and is gorgeous. We would return because of area. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Fifth Wheel.

B8A

Go into Gloucester to the boardwalk Eat at Top Side Grill Fabulous seafood at a great price

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $42.00

They can Accommodate larger rigs in the lower section and small rigs of higher in the trees. Staff was very helpful and friendly enjoyed how is it. We stayed 3 nights We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Travel Trailer.

We spent one day exploring Salem Massachusetts and then 1 day exploring the Cape. There's a nice beach available if you turn left after coming out of the park

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $64.00

Owner of park directed my 44' Motorcoach into low wires, by the time we realized they were low wires they had ripped off my antenna. Owner told my wife that we should have known the heigth of our coach before I drove under them, yet there is NO SIGN stating low wires. Left me there blocking other campers from leaving for close to 7 hours with wires on top of my Motorcoach; until their daughter came down with her father's truck and a broom to stand on the roof of her father's truck and lifted the wires with the broom while a neighbor backed my coach out since I had to be taken to the hospital for a concussion. Also, road to camp ground is tight with lots of turns and low trees branches. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Motorhome.

B2
Not big enough for my motorhome

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches

Verify where they are going to place you; if you go there with a 40'+ Motorcoach. Also if being directed towards wires, the are

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $62.00

This is an older campground that has lots of spots for the small popups or tents. If you are not comfortable driving a larger rig (20'+), stay away. The roads in are VERY tight with lots of stuff hanging out. Staff very friendly and full of information. Beautiful view when the water tide is in. 1.5 miles to beach access. If you plan on beach during weekend, leave EARLY as the parking fills fast. AT&T service OK. Not much for the kids or dog. Small camp store and Pay hot showers. Big rigs, stop at bottom, NO access beyond first curve into park. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Fifth Wheel.

Tight Turns, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: February, 2017 - $50.00

This campground is family run. There are very nice and try their best to accommodate their guests. My brother got us camping here with him, he moved and we've been going back for the last 10+ years. I love this campground. We look forward to going back every year. AAA+ campground. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Travel Trailer.

198E

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $50.00

This campground has one thing going for it. Location. It is the only campground within Rockport, Gloucester area. They know it and I feel take advantage. 1st: the HILL, we missed the sign and took our rig up the very steep hill unsure we would ever get it down. We did manage but it was not easy. 2nd: The sites have large rocks along the road and in the sites to maneuver around. It is not well maintained. The lower section at the front of the campground is not inviting. 3rd: The bath house is adequate, clean with newer floor and compartments. The walls are old cement block.

4th: There is no way we would be able to maneuver our rig to get into their dump area.

The prices are high for the sites especially considering no sewer. NO discounts, ever. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Travel Trailer.

Obstacles, Poor Conditions

Rockport and Gloucester.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $54.00

Overall, we like our stay here at Cape Ann. This CG works best for tent and pop up trailer campers. Short travel trailers (like ours) fit well. Short Class C's seem to be able to maneuver okay. The BIG RIGs have problems. Interior roads are tight as is the road to the campground entrance. (I felt like I was driving on someone's drive way, at first. But the yellow line in the middle of the road was a give away.) The owners are upgrading sites to FHU because that is the demand now. We were up towards the top. Campsite was surprising level. All services worked correctly. ATT and Verizon voice and data were acceptable but you still needed to step outside to keep a good solid signal during phone calls. The restrooms were kept very clean. 25 cents gets you 5 minutes of shower time. You have to walk your garbage down to the overflowing dumpster by the office. The staff was excellent. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Travel Trailer.

176S

Tight Turns, Poor Conditions

Gloucester is packed this time of year (August). Parking is almost impossible. We took the whale trip and enjoyed the whales, not the trip out nor back. You'll like to tour the town of Essex, especially the Shipbuilding Museum. Periwinkles is a great restaurant. Woodman's Restaurant is a classic. Head out to Rockport early so you can find a place to park. Beach parking is free after 5 pm.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $64.00

This park is not good for big rigs. The roads in (Concord & Atlantic) from 128 are VERY NARROW, HILLY, and WINDING. White knuckles all the way. Even in my little Fiesta toad there were some scary times going in and out of the campground. We toured for 4 days and this just seems to be the nature of the roads in this area. But I would look for something easier to get to. Once here, big rigs stay at the bottom and they come down to meet you (small sign with phone number to call). They came quickly, gave us our site, which was easy to back into. It was a full hookup, which was good because I'm not sure how we would have maneuvered to the dump station. Otherwise, staff/owners were helpful and campground was quiet and nice. In a smaller rig I'd stay again - but not with my current rig. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Motorhome.

B-4

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $54.00

The roadway to the park is narrow and winding. Take your time. The posted speed limit is for the residents. Watch the road and cut your speed especially if you are towing. Our 40' rig had to park on the lower level. Our site had water, electric and water but no sewer. I didn't think I should have to pay the same rate as the full hookups. The lower sites are grassy and somewhat level. The hookups are to the rear and I had to attach additional cable and water hose. My 50' electrical cable did reach the breaker box. The area is very hilly and rocky. Walking the dogs was very easy but be prepared for the uphill climb. The wifi was weak and the antenna only picked up 4 channels. (No GMA in the am). I gave them an extra point for recycling. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Motorhome.

B-15

I suggest you disconnect before turning onto Atlantic St. In addition to the winding road, if you turn in the front entrance of the park and another unit is dumping, your tow could end up blocking the travel lane on Atlantic St. I stayed for 3 days and only saw it once. Trust me, you don't want to be that once.

2 campers found this review helpful. Do you? Yes No Undo

Date of Stay: September, 2015 - $40.00

This is a very adequate campground for the Gloucester area. It is not the fanciest place we have ever stayed but the water & electric were reliable and the staff was helpful and friendly. We did not use the bathrooms. I did poke my head in toward the end of the holiday weekend and they looked like they could use a cleaning but not overly filthy at that point. The roads are narrow but passable. Considering how much everything else costs in the area, Cape Ann Campsite is a bargain. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Motorhome.

E46

The beach is a mile up the road. Take bikes and ride. It costs $25.00 to park! Otherwise Gloucester is just a short ride away with fishing, whale watching, more beaches, etc.

Date of Stay: September, 2015 - $60.00

We have a 40' 5th wheel and we had full hook up. We stayed 4 nights. There is a sign as you enter that if you are over 30 ft long do not go up the hill to the office. There is a phone # to call on the sign and they arrive in a cart very quickly. There is no room at the top for big rigs At the base of the hill there is room for about 20 larger rigs. The staff was very friendly and gave us tips where to shop and what to see There are 2 dump stations. 1 among smaller campsites and 1 near the big rigs on the way out. In both cases you have very little room to get in and out . If you are larger than 30 ft., then you will probably have to back in to the dump station. I have no idea where you would park if you were waiting your turn without blocking traffic. This is a terrific place to family camp with tents and smaller Rv It is all wooded and secluded There are no fire rings for big rigs but all others do have fire rings. We thought the extra cost of sewer of $10/day & extra cost $8 for 30 amp and $12 for 50 amp electricity was extremely high. They also charge extra for children with you. They don't have extra activities, games, a pool or a dog run area. There is a beautiful view of the salt marsh across the street if you are in the lower campground area and close to the road. We camped at Cape Ann Camp Site in a Fifth Wheel.

Gloucester Harbor for whale watching, and other seaside activities.

Rockport for its harbor and small shops.

Featured Campgrounds Near Cape Ann Camp Site

Are you affiliated with Cape Ann Camp Site ?