Black Bear Campground

Salisbury, Massachusetts

Longitude: -70.8813214302063

RvTravelerNTechie

We’ve stayed at this campground before and not a lot has changed. We asked for a satellite-friendly site, but that’s almost impossible when the facility is as wooded as this one. We had a good-sized back-in site, since the pull-thru spots are pretty narrow. Power was awful, with voltage dropping on one leg to the point where our EMS dropped out, until I added our booster transformer. It wasn’t like we were trying to run 3 roof air conditioners; the voltage dropped with just the electric water heater on. Cable TV was reasonably good, but park Wi-Fi was essentially unusable. The owners and managers need to understand that making a substandard service free to avoid addressing complaints is a losing strategy these days. People want Wi-Fi to work reliably at reasonable speeds. Unfortunately for us, this is also a weak VZW location. Overall, we got about what we expected, but didn’t really get the value we wanted. We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Motorhome.

Steve Hedge

Shouldn't campground employees have some sense of measurements? We called ahead to verify that they had LARGE pull-thru sites that would accommodate our 40ft rv WITH a 20ft trailer. They said no problem. THEN when we parked outside the gate to register, I specifically asked "You see how long we are, will we definitely fit in the site?"; the lady said yes, no problem. So we paid our $50, looped around to the site only to find that we had to squeeze between trees and then after we did, we hung out into the road on BOTH SIDES. This required us to go back around the campground, drop the trailer (where we couldn't see it) and pick it back up on our way out. We are full timers and have been to many campgrounds. When we are just stopping for one night we like the convenience of not having to drop the trailer. Especially this night when we got in later in the evening and had to check out (mandatory) by 11am. This is why we are very clear when we call and explain we are the size of a tractor trailer. We don't expect everyone to be able to accommodate us, but at least tell us the truth. We usually stop at parking lots when just going through for the night but we paid the $50 this night for the convenience; which we didn't get. For the price, I would expect more. Like updated bathrooms, appreciative helpful staff, a level site etc. We wouldn't stop here again. We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Motorhome.

Luvtheroad

Conveniently located to I-95, grocery shopping (about a mile or so) and beaches (about 3 miles). Nice people in office, very helpful. Cable & Wi-Fi good. Coin-op showers, which is unacceptable in my opinion in a site that costs $50 per night. Sites varied in size, but ours was long and wide enough and easy to get in and out, but low-lying sites need a lot more gravel or mulch as they get extremely soggy when it rains. Ours was all mud pretty much the entire week we were here. Laundry adequate and reasonable. Very nice playground. It looked like there was an area to walk dogs. Two small pools in same enclosure; both looked clean but were cold. Quiet at night. Water pressure was quite low. Gate access in and out. No mosquitos as far as I could tell. We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

ratracer

Bathrooms are old and in need of updating. Showers are coin operated, small, and old. Privacy doors on stalls don't latch and many have protruding drywall screws. Supposedly, the electrical power has been upgraded. However, it is three phase 208 volts, which is industrial/commercial. Our surge protector kept shutting our camper down, as one leg of the 50 amp service was only showing 106 volts. We could not run our water heater, one AC, and the refrigerator on electric without the surge protector kicking in. Others on our camp road saw us after getting help and said they also had some problems, but did not have surge protection. For the price, I would not be inclined to return to this campground. We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

trvlkids

We stayed here because of the ratings in the Trailer Life Directory of 9/9.5*/9. The length of our stay was from 9/14/2011 until 9/20/2011. We were very disappointed with the facilities for the price of $45.00 a night. There was trash and bottle caps all over the sight we were assigned, and also in the surrounding sights. The restrooms were nowhere near as clean as they could be. The grass all needed to be mowed. My husband and I spend most of our time in State Parks around the country volunteering as campground hosts and we would never let a camper move into a site that was as dirty as this one was. We, also, are very particular about restrooms and know how they should be cleaned. It is a disgrace that they would charge to use showers when the showers are not very clean. It is also wrong to be charging for showers when you are paying $45.00 per day to camp. When we first checked in the girl at the office was very friendly and helpful. Later when my husband went up to notify the office that we were not receiving the correct amps at the sight, there was a different lady and she was very unfriendly, and did not seem at all concerned about the problem. On the night of Saturday/Sunday the 17th/18th we were awakened by campers in a tent across from us. They were talking very loud, drinking, and playing loud music. This was at 1:00 am. We called the office phone numbers and only received a recording. We left a message; there was no way to reach the campground management. We finally called the local police department for disturbance of the peace. They finally arrived about 2:30 am. This is totally unacceptable that we should have to put up with this type of noise when quiet hours begin at 10:00 pm. On the 19th we went to do laundry, we were washing 3 loads of wash. Two of the washers were working fine; the 3rd one would not agitate. I went to the office to report the problem. The girl in the office said she would track down the person responsible for them. She came into the laundry room about 10 minutes later, she said the washing machine company would have to come out to fix the washer and she told me I would have to move the clothes to another washer. She gave me the money for it, but did not offer to help me wring out the clothes or move them. So I had to wring out all the clothes and move them to another washer. The laundry room does NOT have a sink or any paper towels to dry hands off, so there I was with drippy hands. During the whole time we were at the campground we have not seen any cleanup of the grounds. We would NOT recommend this campground to anyone . We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

trailertrash

This park is easily accessible and the spaces are not too crowded. The Wi-Fi was pretty reliable at our site. The dirt/gravel/wood chip site was fairly level. That being said, this is the least friendly park we've ever stayed in. The woman who checked us in had no interest in us what-so-ever. The other residents, mostly seasonal, don't even make eye contact. They have a long list of rules, most of which are broken by the campers. The owner/manager had a dog tied to the back of the office and clothes lines are everywhere.The trees are so thick that mosquitoes are a problem. There are many primative sites with tents. You have a security code to get in, but I still didn't feel comfortable here because of the other campers' distrustive attitudes. I wouldn't stay here again. We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Traveldreamer

Shady sites, beautiful swimming pool, easy access from I-95 but: you have to pay to shower. No problem if it is clean, but it was NOT. And if you consider the price of staying: we have to pay 10 dollars extra for a guest, so the price for one night $55, it is overpriced and strange you have to pay for the showers! Wi-Fi was available but not constant. Owners are very friendly but they have to do something about the price. We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Safe Trip

When arriving, we asked for a site where we would not be surrounded by other rigs. Although the campground was barely full, they gave us a site right next to another rig. The cable TV didn't work, but they did refund the money we had paid for it. The bathrooms were very old, relatively clean, but cold water only in the basins. The coin operated shower required a number of coins for just a normal amount of time, and the water was lukewarm at best. The campground was not particularly clean: litter was everywhere. The best part of this campground is its proximity to a seafood dive called Lena's, delicious and very reasonable. We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Spencer65

Great playground. Friendly staff. Shady sites. About 30 minutes to bike to the beach. Beautiful beach. Less crowded beach than many in the area. 2 nice pools were closed early. We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Motorhome.

Hugh Mitch

The camp personnel were very friendly. Our site was large with mature trees which obstructed our satellite. There is a $10.00 per person charge for any guests that come to visit (even if it is just for dinner). We were here for a week, and enjoyed our stay. We enjoyed a campfire most nights. We would return to this campground. We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

kop

I left before the darkness came. I called 3 days before to get reservations and asked for a pull through. Upon arrival, they had me in a back in. I asked to be changed and they obliged, reluctantly. I was sent to a site where there was a nice large tree on each side of my motorhome. I had to back out when I left. Under the motorhome was a freshly dumped pile of rock that had been barely scattered. My motorhome sank 6 inches. I unloaded my bike to take a short ride to the beach. Upon return, I was informed that no motorcycles were allowed in the park. I asked could I just push it back to the site where I would load it on my lift and would not interfere with any campers. They said no. I had to park it on wood chips besides the office. I explained that if I had known the rules, I would not have unloaded the bike to begin with. That did not matter. There were no signs or anything whatsoever to let one know of this rule and the lady (used loosely) did not tell me when we checked in while we were parked in front of the office in full view. I explained the problem with having to take the hitches loose in order to load the bike and move the bus to the bike to no avail. After calming down, we decided to leave. While loading my bike in front of the office, another biker pull up, put in the code for the gate and drove right in! When asked about the double set of rules, we were shrugged off. In short, rude staff, camp not kept up, too narrow sites for big rigs, golf carts and bicycles everywhere, double set of rules, pay showers and so forth. Never again for this fellow. Fellow campers and bikers beware! I tried to stay in a motorhome. We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Motorhome.

Camping USA

This campground is the pits. Sites are close, people are Rude. Wal-Mart is better and 1,000 times friendlier. Stayed there twice and will NEVER be back. We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Motorhome.

johnanann

We were given a shady spot in the back of the camp in between permanent RVs that was very nice. The owners are working to make improvements to the roads and sites by putting in gravel and woodchips. The showers were clean but older. This park is OK for an overnight stay but we would not want to stay longer. The beaches close by were beautiful, but watch out for Sunday night traffic. We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Motorhome.

metro3

The only good thing I can say was they have a super playground. Now for the negatives: 1) There is no camp store. There are not even soda machines available. 2) The sites are very tight. 3) There were many seasonal/permanent campers many of which were in need of repair. 4) They allow dogs but, judging from the staffs attitudes, don't really like them. 5) The sites are mulch so many were muddy. I saw a class A who couldn't back into his spot as he kept sinking in the mud. We were only there 1 night and that was enough! We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Motorhome.

drumzaway

Upon check-in we requested a site that we could renew beyond the three nights requested should we decide to stay longer. We were told no problem, and the camp had many open sites during our entire stay. We went to the office to renew and they refused to renew our site. The staff said that it was rented and if we wished to stay we would have to move to another site. NOW. We decided to just go on to our next destination if we had to pack any way due to the work involved. Nobody on the staff had bothered to warn us that we needed to move or leave, and we found out accidentally by going to the office to renew despite our previous request to potentially stay in that site longer. Instead of heading to the beach we now had one hour to pack and move our unit. We told them after packing that we would like to park the camper in their acres of empty parking lots while we went to the beach since our plans had been disrupted and they said NO! Yeah, I love good customer service. Frankly it wasn't worth renewing any way since our site was pathetic, way too small even for a pop up, and afforded zero privacy. We had to encroach on the neighbors to put out our tiny awning. Further the toilets were overflowing daily and the baths were not clean. The showers cramped my petite body, and my husband could barely fit into them. Quiet hours were not enforced and kids roamed late into the night, smoking, lighting fireworks, and cussing. A woman of mature age walked into the bathroom one night, smacked a beer down on the shelf, used the facilities and walked out. Tacky. I now see why the other campgrounds are booked every night of the summer and this one has tons of vacancies! Steer clear, as we will in the future. We camped at Black Bear Campground in a Tent Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Black Bear Campground?