Wells State Park

Sturbridge, Massachusetts

• yes-lake Waterfront

A Chevalier

Park is a basic as you can get with no hookups, hence why I only stay here in a tent and not in my trailer. The bathrooms are older and small - I wouldn't shower in them but for restroom use they are fine. Site on the lake was very nice, plenty of space and plenty of privacy. I do recommend that if you go to plan ahead and look at the map closely. Most sites are large and have plenty of space however there are a few tiny sites that are low lying and are close to stagnant water. Overall it's a nice park and I will be back, I go here often. We camped at Wells State Park in a Tent.

rvmamabel

When I booked the site on line, it was described as a pull-through and rated for up to 35' TT. Luckily, the grounds people saw me scoping out the site, and recommended that I not pull in, as I would only have to back out. Boy were they correct! Two of them helped me to back in, and I definitely could not have done it without them. We stayed six nights here, which was 3 nights too many. My daughters were attending a day camp at Old Sturbridge Village, and this was the closes CG to Sturbridge (for a reasonable price). However, the showers were just atrocious, and would make it very difficult to stay here again. There were a ton of mosquito's, so hiking wasn't enjoyable, and the lake was a bit smelly, so not very refreshing. On the way home, we tried to do an overnight at the local Walmart, but the police kicked us out. Apparently the town has an ordinance that prohibits overnight parking. I know this last piece of information is not about the CG, but hope you leave it in, as would have been SOOOO helpful for me to have known this ahead of time. Hope I can save someone else the headache of finding a CG in the dark as we were forced to do. We camped at Wells State Park in a Motorhome.

RonMill

Just a couple of miles off the Mass Pike (Interstate 90) this state park offers a quiet setting on Walker  Pond.  The wooded surroundings give way to a number of hiking trails.  The place is well kept up, restrooms clean, paved and gravel roads for easy access, friendly staff. The grounds are well taken care of. Will return! We camped at Wells State Park in a Motorhome.

Traveler_2011

Park get a 10 rating for natural beauty. The sites are big and the pond/lake and surrounding woods are incredible. However, there are no hook-ups and the bathroom are sub-par (smelly, dirty). We had site #25 which was right on the lake and enjoyed watching the water, birds, and a beaver. Mosquitoes were out in full force, even during the daytime hours. Sites have lots of privacy, a fire ring and picnic table. The yurts up the hill looked nice - wood floors, bunk-beds, and a solid table with two benches inside. The showers were horrible, a 10" drain opening is in the floor for the grey water and it really stinks. The water only works for 10 secs so you have to repeatedly push a knob in the wall while you are showering. We only stayed for two days and would come again (but plan on showering elsewhere). We camped at Wells State Park in a Motorhome.

wfmdfm

This is a great state park. Very clean and lots to do in the area. We arrived after dark and had a reservation for site 39. There is no way we were going to get our rig to or on that site. We managed to find site D empty and spent the week end there. Reserve America should update there site listings. We will return now that we know the lay of the land. Staff was great and helpful in re assigning our site. We camped at Wells State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

justdaydreamin69

I have loved this park since I was a child. My family has camped here many times. I brought my children here as well. This park has trails and my mother had worked for them for years before she passed away. She had made maps of the trails and where to look for poison ivy. That is right. They have maps of where all of the nasty plants are. Just ask and they should still have them. I would recommend this camp ground to all. Beautiful park that is for sure. We camped at Wells State Park in a Motorhome.

B. P. Donelan

This year some of our camping friends joined us for Columbus Day weekend at Wells. They all loved it and would go back again next year. It was a little cool for our tenting friends but they didn't seem to mind. The bathrooms were clean and the shower did take a while for the hot water to come on. We all enjoyed the small hike to Carpenter's Rock and paddling in Walker pond. The sites are big. Our Site #53 could have had two 30' travel trailers on it but they don't allow that. Look forward to next year. We camped at Wells State Park in a Travel Trailer.

mudturtle

Very pretty pond for fishing/canoes and small beach area for campers. Our "pull through" Site (1) was accessed by a very narrow, tree branch lined road, not easy for our 27 foot Class C. Most sites are shady under tall mature tree canopy. Paved access roads are very hilly and curvy. Site 1 was level. A big rig could back in instead of pulling through. Kids biked all around. We will return. We camped at Wells State Park in a Motorhome.

B. P. Donelan

This was a beautiful state campground with awesome foliage. Walker pond was nice to canoe in and fish. If you bring a canoe you can paddle to the Mass Turnpike and go through a really long tunnel under the highway. My kids called it "The Tunnel of bad word". We also took a hike on one of the many trails to Carpenter rock were you have a really nice view. This campground is very close to Sturbridge Village and our intent was to visit but we just loved the campground and didn't leave. The roads are smooth for bike riding but if your have one of the sites not near the lake, there are very big hills. We definitely will be going back next fall. We camped at Wells State Park in a Motorhome.

KatrinaH

Nice state park atmosphere with plenty of hiking trails and woods to enjoy, however not too much else in the way of amenities. We camped at Wells State Park in a Motorhome.

tonyntrish

This park will not accept a big rig. we were turned away. We camped at Wells State Park in a Motorhome.

pamvanw

This is a beautiful state park with hiking and a small lake for swimming. The sites are huge and wooded. Beware of the mosquitoes and bring your repellent. We camped at Wells State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Wells State Park?