Oak Grove Campground / Resort

• Bike Rentals Bike Rentals yes
  • Hiking Hiking yes

North America in 90 days

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $50.00

Excellent value, we came in after the office was closed but as lady was turning off lights she welcomed me in to sign in; that's service!! This location is close to everything Holland had to offer, biking from here to the lake and sand dunes. I highly recommend this park We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Lots to do in Holland.

Kathleen Feickert

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $50.00

Roads and RV parking spaces are asphalt and will accomodate large rigs. No problems getting in or out (our rig is 31 ft).There is grass and large trees all around sites. Well maintained park. Petting zoo, game areas and playground equipment for kids. The laundry room was clean and had many washers and dryers. There are hiking and biking trails all over. Lake Michigan across the street. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Motorhome.

Holland has a wonderful downtown for dining and shopping.

4forsmores

Date of Stay: September, 2014 - $48.00

This is my second review of this extremely near and clean park. The first time, we had a smaller camper and stayed in the regular area. We are too big now so we stayed in the premium area. Have their own fire pits, but two community pits were nearby. Sites were very generous in width, with a nice level parking pad. Utility hookups were in great condition and the water had two spigots per site (nice feature, handy for dog rinsing while keeping RV hooked up). Tried the restrooms/showers this time and they are modern and spotless. In ten years of camping, I have never seen such a clean park (there's an older gentleman that appears to rake each site daily). The seasonal sites are very nice trailers, no Sanford & Son units anywhere. While the management seems a bit stern, I prefer that to the "anything goes" campgrounds we encounter on occasion. On the narrowness, bring your patience and use your cell phones/radios with your backing assistant. The sites are 90 degrees to the road and it's a single lane road. Go slowly and you should be able to make it work. If the campground was full, I'm not sure I could have done it with my crew cab pickup with long bed and a 32' trailer. Fortunately, the site across the aisle was open so I could pull in there to help in backing. Once you're on the site, you're minutes from the beach and wonderful sunset over Lake Michigan. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Kazoo Tom

Date of Stay: August, 2014 - $54.00

In contrast to some of the poor reviews, we had a very pleasant stay. In fact we are still here as I type this. Our greeting upon arrival was very pleasant and professional. We did not experience any of the rude behavior mentioned in some of the older reviews. Interior roads are a bit narrow, but passable. Getting situated in the site is a bit of a challenge for larger units, but again is doable with patience. We had a site in the newer "premium" section. The site is quite large and not crowded by your neighbors. the only real downside is that there is no fire pit on the site. This location is close to everything you might want to do in the Holland area. It is very much a family oriented campground. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Motorhome.

Starlifter

Date of Stay: June, 2014 - $57.00

This is my first review, but felt compelled to write a review on this campground, since we almost did not camp here based on another review. This is an extremely tidy campground close to everything Holland has to offer. It is tight, especially in a larger rig, but it is not difficult to access the sites if you are comfortable maneuvering. As we sit here now, there are 9 motorhomes 40' or greater in length parked with us. The sites are roomy once you get parked, but you may have to park your vehicle on the grass beside your unit. The staff was very accommodating when we pulled in and even offered to put our tow dolly with an ATV on it on our site with their tractor and will position it for us when we leave. The cable is great with a large selection of channels and the WIFI is the best we have encountered in a park. Very nice pool area with a large hot tub. And I must confess that we did have a glass of wine one night and shared a beer on another. We left our dog several times, but if you have a barker when you're gone, they won't like that (and neither do I) If you come to Holland, this is a great place to stay. We stayed 5 nights in a motorhome. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Motorhome.

sse

Date of Stay: May, 2014 - $60.00

This is a campground that wins by location, only. It is only 1/4 mile from Lake Michigan, the Holland State Park, and the Holland Channel. It has a nice pool and a nice recreation area, with an indoor game and TV room for guests to use. The hosts, especially the women, are rude. Apparently they don't care, because they assume, that if I'm not there someone else will be. The campground is not big rig friendly. I have heard of numerous accidents and damage to trailers and RV, but nothing changes. They do not escort you to your spot. I have a 45 foot RV. They sent me down an impassable road to an extremely tight RV spot. There was no way I could have made the narrow corner that they sent me toward. The spot I was assigned was so tight that the nose of my RV hung out into the road. When I told them how ridiculously tight my spot was, the lady at the front desk told me I was fine and not to worry about it. It took 5 campers to help the guest across from me park without damaging my RV. So, over the weekend, as each car and camper and kid on a wobbly bicycle went by I worried that they would run into my unit. The campground is a non alcohol campground, but I am sure that drinking goes on, hidden. They charge 5 dollars a person, per day, over 4. I can honestly say that not one nice word was said to me by the staff in the general store, during my 5 or more visits there. In fact I was made to feel as though I was an unwanted interruption. We will not return. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Motorhome.

dka

Date of Stay: July, 2013 - $52.00

This is a very nice campground featuring nice amenities for families like a pool, petting zoo, basketball courts, and rental bikes etc. The location is very nice. The showers are the nicest of any park we've stayed in. The premium site was very spacious, and we appreciated not being squeezed into a spot. We would have given this a 10 rating but the following things brought the score down: the speed bumps entering the park are huge and very scary for motorhomes; the wi-fi only works when you are at the laundry area and not in your rig; getting a wrist band to swim during adult swim time is a pain because you have to disturb the camp host unless you don't mind wearing it outside the campground (I wasn't about to wear it to my anniversary dinner at The Piper!); there's a fee for guests to visit; the desk clerk is a grump and unless one of the owners is there to see her at work she is condescending and made us feel very unwelcome. The owners, however, couldn't have been more pleasant or helpful. A friendly face behind the counter makes a big difference. We felt the park was a bit pricey, but given the outstanding bath facility, we probably would stay here again for full hookup convenience. It would just be nice to have friendlier help behind the desk. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Motorhome.

Softball29

Date of Stay: July, 2013 - $58.00

Park is a mixture of permanent sites and overnight sites. However, DO NOT let that taint your view of this campground. The permanent sites are very very, well maintained as weekend resort cottages and are well kept. The overnight section is nicely kept and was easy enough for us to maneuver into our site. The sites aren't too close together, but the road is narrow in front so the issue would be if someone was parked on the adjacent spot in front of their camper it could make maneuvering into your spot more challenging. The campground is a short walk or bike ride (they also rent bikes) away. The only negative is the overnight "premium" sites do not have fire rings. They have "public" fire rings (3-4) for these sites. We had a wonderful time including swimming, fishing, golfing, getting ice cream, and just enjoying the Holland weather. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Travel Trailer.

milliganus

Date of Stay: July, 2013 - $54.00

This is definitely NOT a big rig friendly park. The speed bumps are huge and the roads to the "premium" sites are very narrow with very sharp turns. The park was packed full when we arrived on Friday and getting to the site was very difficult. Staff was helpful. Wi-Fi did not come in at all at our site. Cable TV was good. Lots of kids here and very crowded. Couldn't use the pool in the day b/c there were so many kids. They did have lots of activities for the kids. Park was noisy, on main road to heavily used state park. Price way to high for what you get. We would not stay here again. The state park was no better. Not many options around here for big RVs. If you want to relax, this is not the place to come. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Motorhome.

BrendaB

Date of Stay: September, 2012 - $44.00

Big Rigs STAY AWAY!!! They say they are big rig friendly, they are not. We have a 43 foot motorhome and we did not fit. The roads to the premium sites were only as wide as our rig. If someone was parked just slightly on the road, no way of getting around them. The "premium" site just fit our rig from end to end, literally. The car must be parked on the grass next to you because there is no other place. You can not swing wide enough for the turns so you go over the lawns of other sites. If someone is parked in that site, be very careful you do not hit them while turning. There are no pull-through sites, so to back into the site you must first hope no one is parked in the site across from you because you must use their site to pull into, then maneuver and back into your site. If their is a rig in the site in front of you, there is no way of getting into the site other than going over the lawn several times while doing many K turns. We've seen big rigs pull into the park and pull right back our because they can not park in the spaces. We were lucky in that it was a slow time and there was no one in the site in front of us. If the park did not take my credit card over the phone and charge the first night, I would have done the same. Also, the "premium" sites that you pay extra for because it's the only "big rig friendly" area in the park is right on the main road. So get used to lots of traffic noise. BTW, the State Park minutes down the road, is big rig friendly, has full hook-ups and is right on the beach for less than half the price. I don't know what the other reviewers are saying about the State Park but if I had a choice, I would have stayed there for a lot less and probably extended my stay. Here at this park, we planned on staying two maybe three nights. After being here and seeing this place, we are pulling out the first chance we get in the morning. BIG RIGS STAY AWAY! We will definitely not be back. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Motorhome.

4forsmores

Date of Stay: August, 2012 - $44.00

We stayed here for a week while dropping my daughter at nearby Hope College. First thing you will notice is the extremely tight corners when driving through the Standard Sites area. Their website states these spots hold up to a 28' trailer. I'm assuming they mean a 28' trailer dropped in by a crane since the roads are very narrow. My RV is 26.5' long and was difficult to get on a Standard Site. There are a lot of seasonal units but the vast majority are very nice park models that are well maintained, not the ratty old RVs that I usually see on seasonal lots. I required my son to work as a spotter at the front of the truck so I wouldn't hit the seasonal unit across the street, and my wife as a spotter in the rear to avoid hitting the landscaping and/or retaining wall. Go slow and be very patient and you can eventually get on the spot. The neighbor (a professional truck driver) had a small fifth wheel in the 25-28' size range was able to park his RV on the same size spot as mine. After parking, you will find the power pedestal, water, and sewer hookups to be in good working condition. You will also notice how squeaky clean the sites are. After a neighbor checked out, someone raked the site for 15 minutes and also shoveled out the fire pit. All sites have inground sprinklers so be careful of where you leave chairs, wood, etc., overnight. The pool, hot tub, showers, and restrooms were in great condition and again, very clean. We didn't use the playground, but it was in good condition. Main bike path to Lake Michigan is right at the entrance to the park. Wood was available for a reasonable price and they will loan you a wheelbarrow to get it to your site. Wi-Fi worked OK for me, not blazingly fast, but still very usable. Minor annoyances were the multiple speed bumps at the entrance/exit and the need to entry a number on a keypad to get in and out of the park. I would stay here again, but would use only the first 1 or 2 sites on the road side of the park in the Standard Sites area since they are angled for easier entry. Consider staying at the Premium Sites area for bigger sites but you will lose your firepit in that section. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Travel Trailer.

jehammon

Date of Stay: August, 2012 - $48.00

This is one of the most well maintained RV parks that I have ever stayed in. People are continually cleaning, pruning, fixing, upgrading, etc. It is a well maintained park. It is also ideally located directly on a bike path that will take you to Lake Michigan within about 1.5 miles. There is a lot to like about this park, enough that we would definitely consider staying here again. However, there are two negatives that could definitely be improved upon. The first is the attitude of the primary desk person. This person has to be one of the most unfriendly people that I have ever met. This was particularly odd since the resort is very much a Christian based resort. The person was helpful, but VERY gruff, almost hateful. I have to give credit to the other worker who was extremely nice, but I only interfaced with her one time the whole week that we were there. The other big negative is related to their rules. Never in my life have I seen such a long list of rules. These rules are NOT what is posted on their website, but instead are delivered to you upon check-in to the resort. They have rules for everything from camp fires being out at 10:30pm, to swimming being closed at 9:00pm for the kids. The rules are also written in a very rude way. For example, they charge $3.00 per day per person that is visiting you at your site. When they state this rule, they say something like, "You don't really want your guests anyway; so, make them pay for themselves." In some cases, I think they were attempting to use "poor" humor to hide some pretty snotty rules. Fortunately, the staff did not police these rules strictly. If they had, we would not have been coming back. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Travelin' Trio

Date of Stay: July, 2012 - $53.00

We did not enjoy our stay at this park, would not recommend it, and would not stay again. We asked for a satellite-friendly site at reservation but didn't get one; cable TV was so basic, we weren't interested in any of the channels available. Pets are not allowed inside or outside unattended, so we couldn't do anything we had planned to do in the area since it was too hot to leave the dog in the car and we couldn't leave her in the motorhome because of the pet rules. A pet fee of $3 a night is outrageous; our dog drinks a small bowl of water every day, pretty expensive water. If you have a pet, skip this one. On the upside, their Wi-Fi was excellent. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Motorhome.

troutslayer

Date of Stay: July, 2012 - $50.00

This is a very clean and nice looking park with great access to the bike trails and beach. However, our internet connection was spotty, the spaces are very small and the back window of our fifth wheel looked out over a construction equipment yard. Since we were so near the parking lot we got to look out at a very large red trailer right outside our door and a very bright security light that pretty much killed any sort of evening camping experience. There was a community camping fire ring but none at the individual sites. The thing that really bugged me the most was that I had to pay $9 extra for 3 of my relatives to come over to our site for a 4 hour cook-out (they did not use the pool or any other facilities). At $50+ per night this was not a good value for us. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

ysocks

Date of Stay: May, 2012 - $38.00

This is a very nice campground. The owners seem to really take great pride in the park. The pool was not open yet when we were there, but it was a nice size pool with a hot tub. The general store was small, but it contained the most common things folks tend to forget. The other reviews regarding small sites is accurate for the section of the park where we camped. I think it was for seasonal's at one point, and as people move out, they leave it open for weekenders. I would not recommend the standard sites to anyone with equipment more than 16 ft. We were able to secure a "pull through" site with our 26 ft, and it was difficult at best to manipulate our way in and out. The premium sites are lovely; however, there are a few draw backs. There is no shade to speak of, and you are right off the main road. You also do not have your own fire pit, and that would have killed my husband to not have his own fire. The bike trail takes you right to the beach which is only about 1 mile from the park. We passed Holland State Park on our way to the beach, and I was grateful for selecting Oak Grove as our destination. They have a couple of rental trailers that looked very nice and several cabins that looked great. The internet service was pretty good and was no extra charge. Although we did not use the shower and restroom facilities, we did check them out, and they were very clean. I would not hesitate to use them. There were about 6 permanent sites for sale, which made us wonder why, but I think it may have to do with the size of the sites. The office hours are a bit strange. They close by 6pm on Saturday, and no one was there on Sunday. I am not sure if the owners live on site; I suspect they do, but they were no where to be found on Sunday. They do leave detailed instructions for people arriving after 6 or on Sunday, but I didn't like the unfriendly feeling that gave. It's nice to have people welcome you when you arrive. I would understand if it were very late in the evening, but really, 6pm and not a person to be found on Sunday. That was one of the main reasons, along with the tightness of the spaces, that would not allow me to rate this park a 10. We would visit here again. We camped at Oak Grove Campground / Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Oak Grove Campground / Resort?