Gitche Gumee RV Park

Marquette, Michigan

Recent Rate: $49 8/2014

MBRADLEY

This is certainly a unique place, with a unique owner. A nice guy. We needed to be in Marquette, and this was the closest park, which is why we chose it. It did accommodate our 43 ft motorhome with a long pull through, and we only scraped a few trees when negotiating the narrow roads. The low rating that I gave was for two specific reasons: (1) the water was terrible ...very odorous, often brownish in color. We were only there for 3 days, and I now have rust stains in the toilet bowl that I cannot remove!! The ice was brownish in color in spite of the filter in the fridge. We had to purge all the water systems after we left there, throw out all ice, and I am still cleaning the toilet trying to remove the rust stains. (2) it was dirty ...very hard to keep the coach clean. The driveway was a mix of dirt, sand, and pine needles, with little or no crushed stone. It rained one day and everything tracked into the coach! I would not stay there again. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Motorhome.

Stormyjoel

Friendly owner! Will do anything to make you comfortable. My husband drank coffee with him every morning. A very unique campground! He built all the buildings. A pavilion for the kids to watch movies, his wife has a fudge shop, a rec room for 18+ includes a library and pool table. Right across the street from Lake Superior! Best campground, we go year after year and will continue to! We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Truck Camper.

jpadc

I am certain that this was once a great place, but unfortunately the changing times and apparent neglect have taken a toll. The camping sites are large and nicely wooded. One or two sites have a view of lake Superior, but all seem very nice. We were here after the owner had shutdown all but a few sites for winter (which I knew) as well as the bath and shower facilities (something he failed to mention). I would not have wanted to use them anyway as they are dark, dirty, and moldy. The water, what I could find of it, was rusty and malodorous. I would assume that it is potable, but I chose not to ingest it or use it in my RV. The lodge (game) room is musty and dark with amenities old and out of service. The playground consists only of a few rusty swings. The advertised fudge factory has clearly been out of service a long time as a tree has grown over the walkway and entrance. I was told there was wireless Internet access but it did not work at the site I chose (lake view) and I don't use cable TV so I don't know (or care) if it worked. The price was very high considering both the local/regional competition and dearth of amenities. I cannot recommend this campground to others. There are other choices in the area, which I can and have recommended. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Motorhome.

adamskt

We spent from 7-12 to 7-17 at Gitchie Gumee. Sites are nice size with plenty of trees. Campground website states free wood, nightly movies and fudge available for sale. Wood actually cost $1 per piece, never saw a movie being shown and "fudge shop" was never open. If you like a quiet campground, this the place for you. Little for kids to do to entertain themselves, no pool. Lake Superior just across highway M-28, nice beach area. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Motorhome.

Acinom44632

This campground was deplorable. We were told that the water would not be on, but showers and bathrooms were available. When we got there, the bathrooms were horrid. Toilets looked like they had not been flushed in weeks. We tried to find the showers and the owner said that it was to cold to take a shower in the usual bath house so he told us to go to a guest lodge. The lodge was rented to a bunch of college kids who when we walked in on them were surprised to see us. They told us where the bathroom was and we walked in and quickly walked out. Filth everywhere. Mold on the shower and dirty filthy toilets. What you would expect from a bunch of college guys. There was clutter and old food sitting out on all the counters and the place was a mess. We went to our camper and locked the door. In the morning a young guy came up to us and told us that he couldn't believe the owner sent us to those showers. He had recently moved out because of the conditions. I can't believe the health department has not written them up for the conditions. I would not recommend this place to anyone, not even a pig. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Truck Camper.

J&L Coleman

First off, the price for this park is outrageous for being located unlevel and on sand. So whenever coming in or out of the RV we had sand in our shoes. We were to be in another site that the Ranger assured us would have a view of the lake; NOT! So, we moved to one near the entrance to the park for this luxury, but with that came the street noise. We have to agree with what others have written; it's just too big a park for one person to maintain and it's really gotten run-down and needs an overhaul in a big way. Location is great across from a wayside stop and can cross the street to the sandy beaches, but for $39/night - not worth it. Couldn't get Wi-Fi in our site, no fudge was being made, nor did we ever see Mrs. Ranger anyway. Too much for too little and wouldn't camp here again. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Motorhome.

CharlieB

Perception can be a personal thing. Sure the campground is simple. But there are full utilities with over 100 cable channels and Wi-Fi. RV sites are not piled one on top of another. Ranger J is a unique individual. If you spend a little time getting to know him. His wife operates the onsite fudge factory. And she's meticulous in how she keeps the "factory". Fudge is good too. Showers are rustic but clean with plenty of hot water. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

meatbball1

Like everyone else we booked our six night stay according to the website pictures, which are beautiful in the winter time. Yes, Ranger J. requested a check before arrival. That's one way to hook you. We traveled 700 miles to have a 10 day vacation in the UP. After owning a camper for eight years we decided to tent camp. My husband had talked to Ranger J multiple times and everything was all positive. Until the day we arrived. I knew the minute we got to the ranger station, after finding it in the high weeds, it was bad and going to get worse. The campsites were sandy with wood chips covering the sand. Although some of the campsites were spacious, we did not have a picnic table and when we finally got one it was rotten. We waited until our neighbors left and went to get theirs. We didn't even have a specified campsite when we arrived which is why we thought we had to send the check. There was no grass. The grass/weeds were knee high. This certainly doesn't help in the infestation of the deer flies and mosquitoes. The bathrooms were clean when we first arrived but had not been cleaned the whole time we were there. The sinks were leaking from the pipes and were very dirty. The hand soap was even watered down. The bathroom garbage started smelling like rotten cigarettes and dirty diapers by day three. The toilets leaked every time you flushed. The toilet bowls were a brownish color. I don't know if that was because of the well water or from not being cleaned. The unisex showers were filthy. Hair all over the walls that had been there since day one. There are four showers and I think two of them locked. The lighting in the showers is terrible. One small light. No curtain between the shower section and the dressing section so needless to say we were putting wet clothes on after showering. We didn't know if we were going to have hot water to shower everyday. The garbage dumpster was piling up day after day. Animals got into it two days before the garbage truck came. The playground was a site from a horror movie. Speaking of movies there was a movie pretty much every night. Very loud. Never went to see one because they were war movies and not kid/family friendly. The movie theater was about the nicest thing in the campground. I am tempted to call the Marquette Health Department. My husband ask Ranger J for a refund for the last two nights saying we have seen everything we came to see. But of course his answer was NO. We did leave a day early and ate our last night stay. The website shows all of these beautiful rock carvings done by Ranger J They are really nice but you cannot see half of them because of the over growth of weeds/grass. To cut down on the dust the roads need to be gravel not sand. We think Ranger J is in desperate need of a staff to help him. Also a weed whacker or lawn mower would make this campground look a little nicer along with a few dump loads of gravel. Over all our visit to the UP was a great one. We will NEVER camp at Gitchee Gummee again. In my opinion I think his website is considered false advertising. I didn't taste the fudge for obvious reasons. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Tent.

Twotracker

No answer on the phone prior to our arrival to inquire about availability. Rates are NOT listed on website. No one in the office when we arrived. We walked around and when owner finally arrived he quoted a different rate than the one that was on the rate sheet located at the desk. I don't like playing these games. Either post the rates or provide the same rates that are on the desk. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Motorhome.

Antiquechild

This was our first stay here, although we met others who camp here frequently, so my opinion must not be shared with all. But I found this campground very dirty and not maintained well. This is a very sandy campground. There are lots of big rigs parked in the campground, but I do not see a quality campground here. The check in office was filthy by my standards, dusty, spider webs, darka and smelled of smoke. Nasty! After driving thru the rest of the park, I could only say the owner has not been able to maintain the park as it once might have been. Not all sites have picnic tables and some tables are rotten. Restrooms were not dirty, just seemed that way. Rough concrete floors had several layers of worn paint showing around the edges, commodes where strained from the water, but there were no paper towels on the floor. Showers were individual, had rubber mats on the floor, but were dark and again, the rough stained looking wall looked dirty. The owner has a special personality, friendly but a little odd. His clothes were torn and dirty so I guess the way the campground is kept is the way he prefers to live. The campground website states its the simple life, and that it is, very simple, but the price doesn't equal the quality of the campground. We travel all over the states and have experienced great campgrounds and not so great. This is not a keeper in my opinion, although there are many that must not have as high a level of what is quality as I do. We will not use this campground again, but will remain our 3 nights that we agreed to stay this trip. To be honest to the owners dreams, he wants to offer special things, but in building a new item lets the old ones go and doesn't keep up the area. You can see he has added a lot of items to make this campground special, but has not kept up what is here. I don't see the reason to want to come back as the couple that checked in with us that has been coming here for 15 years, or the ones parked next to us that has been here 5 years in a row. We are parked at the front gate, again next to the highway, across the street from Lake Superior. A very busy highway, but you can hear the sound of the lake and get the northern breeze. But that's about all I can say as a plus in our experience here. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Motorhome.

zorro623

We stayed here hoping for a nice campground that was close to several activities that we had planned in the area. The website for this campground would have you believe that it is a well-maintained, beautiful park. It may have been back in 1930, but almost everything here now is in need of serious repair and/or cleaning. The trash dumpster was overflowing into the road, the playground was frightening, the cable TV did not work (and according to the person in the office, it hasn't been hooked up in years), and the bathrooms were not maintained at all. There are no locks on the unisex shower doors, so random people can come in and join you as you shower. There are only 4 shower stalls for the entire campground. My real problem with the entire experience was the level of false advertising on their websites stating all the services that are offered, but are not really offered once you get there. We've camped in a lot of campgrounds over the years and this was the worst experience we've ever had. We were tempted to run the other way as we entered the park, but they already had our money as they required a check to be mailed in to reserve our spot. I was too scared to try any fudge that was made here. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Motorhome.

john-c

Definitely big rig friendly. Interior roads easily handled our 40ft/towing. Sites are very spacious both in length and width. Among the largest we have seen in 18 months of traveling. While many are wooded, we were able to get a signal with our roof top satellite. Due to the length of the sites, it is possible to position your RV to get through most of the trees. Cable TV is provided with 75 stations available and provides a good backup. The grounds are rustic with many pines, wild blueberries, etc. Sites are not manicured, but the landscape is appropriate for the setting. This is camping. Our site was level and had a large fire pit. Hookups are convenient. Most big rig sites have 2 sewer hookups to accommodate your situation. Just across the street is a beautiful beach on Lake Superior. You can walk for a couple of miles easily on the beach. Sunsets are spectacular. WiFi works well. Free firewood for the asking. Several have commented on The Ranger. I found him to be very nice and helpful. He is not the typical city subdivision dweller who works in an office but thankfully this is not that kind of place. I find no reason to be concerned about him in any way. In fact, I enjoyed talking with him. We will definitely return to this campground. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Motorhome.

ncflyguy

Okay, the Ranger is a bit eccentric but boy is he intelligent. He has built with his own hands, all of the buildings, plus the new, large outdoor activity arena. He does his best to keep the park in good shape. The Wi-Fi was only available in the beautiful lodge, that had a lot of stuff to do: a huge library (reading is one of his passions). The park is very quiet and rustic so if you're looking for a manicured resort, this isn't it. It's location is great: across from a beach access on Lake Superior and just far enough out of Marquette to avoid heavy traffic. We spent some time talking to him and really enjoyed it. We wanted to fly fish and he demanded that we use his county book of roads (he wanted to be sure that we returned to our RV that day.) We would definitely stay here again. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Grumpier99

This park deserves a higher rating and would get one except for the management which is a bit strange. The price we paid was not what is published in various places and is much higher than the discounted price we expected. The camp sites are fine and the beach just across the road is beautiful. The place could use a bit of sprucing up but is generally in good shape. We would stay here again as long as we know what to expect. The owner/manager is very friendly, but different. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Motorhome.

gatordan

Beware! I advise anyone planning on visiting this park to review previous reviewers; they are all basically correct in their analysis. We came in for 1 week. We were told the site we wanted would be $30 per day. When we arrived, we ended up paying $39 per day. Do not believe he gives any discounts, i.e., Escapees. He states "the discount has already been adjusted." Nothing seems to work in this park: the laundry is broken, the free telephone doesn't work, the computer for use doesn't have a keyboard, and Mrs. Fudge is no longer around. The only good thing about this park is the excellent beach on Lake Superior across the road. It is a shame this park isn't maintained. I advise anyone wanting to visit Marquette to go to the excellent tourist park in town. Sorry Ranger for the poor review but indeed you are strange and are dishonest when quoting camp fees. I rate this a 2 and not a 1 because of the beach. NOTE: Campground fees are not on the web page nor even posted at the campground. We camped at Gitche Gumee RV Park in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Gitche Gumee RV Park?