7 Good

Hayward, Minnesota

84259 County Road 46
Ada, Minnesota 56043

• Outdoor Courts Outdoor Courts yes

Ask fellow campers about "Albert Lea / Austin KOA" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $32.00

This is a nice convenient campground off I 90. We stayed a week visiting family. Owners are super nice and we thoroughly enjoyed staying there We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $42.00

We booked a 3-night stay over a weekend and almost left the next day. Two groups came on our first night and had a drunken party and music concert that night. Nobody in management answered the phone for every hour until 1:00 a.m. We spoke to the office the next day and they offered an apology and a promise that it wouldn't occur again. It didn't and we spent a quiet final two days. Previous complaints about pitted roads into the campground are no longer valid. Repairs both in and out of the park have been fixed and all was well. Sites were long and slightly unlevel, but it was an easy fix. Staff was courteous and friendly. We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Travel Trailer.

The campground is in a quiet, rural setting and if one was interested in being a tourist there are several things to do within a short drive either east or west.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $40.00

We had made reservations months earlier for one night, specifying a pull through with satellite availability. Arriving mid afternoon we were assigned site 55. Questioned about satellite access, there was some discussion by the staff, until a woman who seemed to be in charge expressed confidence....(you should get it!). I asked about another site, 49 as I recall, which looked better, and was told it wasn't suitable for a big rig (upon later inspection I found it was no different than 55). When we rolled into 55, it was completely treed, big trees ... no way could we connect to the satellite. Worse, the utility hookups were at the extreme back end of the site. My 50 foot electrical cord could not reach it (coincidentally, I had bought an extension days before, so we had power). Our water hose barely reached the hookup (by making it a rope)...but I would have needed another 30 feet of sewer hose to reach that connection, which I didn't have. All the sites on our row, right by the cornfield, had the same setup. This is an old KOA that is not big rig friendly. All utility hookups extremely difficult to reach if you have a tow car. Seems management believes you must unhook your tow car to put the motorhome back far enough to hook up, which completely defies the reason for pull throughs, to stay hooked up for earlier getaways. I tire of some campgrounds that (a) think satellite availability is un-consequential, not their problem. Why are they not honest or at least attentive to this at reservation time? And (b) why do they cram big rigs into older sites that don't make the grade on hookup convenience? Of all companies, KOA ought to develop some standards on these items. And, oh yes, very dusty and rutted roadways. Not a good experience for us...we won't be back. We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Motorhome.

Yes, the Spam Museum in Austin is a fun visit.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $35.00

Nice country setting with cornfields adjoining park. Easy access from I 90 which causes some highway noise. Long spaces for big rigs. Park needs to add gravel to roads and spaces, could very muddy when it rains. Good shade trees. We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Featured Campgrounds Near Albert Lea / Austin KOA

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $38.00

It would be a nice place to stay if it had better roads. When it's dry, it's very dusty. It rained our day of departure and it turned into a mud bog. Our site had a large rut about 4 inches deep. T-Mobile phone service worked well. We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Motorhome.

We visited the Spam Museum in Austin and had a great time! We also visited Steve's Meat Market in Ellendale, very nice owner and great meat and cheese selection.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $42.00

From driving in on dirt roads full of very uneven surface and ruts and washes to approaching the office (opposite the building entrance), to indifferent young people at the registration, things just went downhill. Accessing this from the nearest road was about a 4" drop from the pavement to the dirt road. You drive through a dirt tunnel of trees, and large coaches must stay in the middle so as not to scrape. We were met with two carloads of bathing-suited people leaving the park. Scraped. We registered and were told where our site was, none of the four employees offered to show us. We found it OK but the interior roads are rutted, full of unevenness and a surface I can only describe as riprap, a large cheap rock used to divert water flow and prevent erosion. NOT for roads and walkways and parking areas. Walking on it is VERY difficult, twisted ankles will happen! Our bus would not level on this, the pads were sinking into the soft surface under these fist-sized rocks, so we just spent the night on the air levelers. Smoke from campfires kept us inside, so didn't explore the grounds. Water pressure was at approximately 40psi when we arrived, not excellent, but OK. The morning we experienced 4 psi, not enough to shower, laundry or fill sink for dishes. Husband went to the office and complained, but there were others there complaining they couldn't shower, etc either. Office staff said there was nothing they could do. So, when we went to leave, I noticed ruts in the neighboring site, as well as up and down the interior roads. Our bus had plowed the rocks ahead of us, and we were grateful for the power of our engine to get us out. The fist-sized rocks are simply being moved aside as people drive through them, leaving the wet ground exposed. Bad choice. Not a place we will return to. We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Motorhome.

Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $40.00

It's an older KOA. There is some refurbishment ongoing with more needed. The restroom upgrade is still in progress. The interior roads are not as muddy. If you know the differnce between "road mix" which a mix of small stone and sand and "small rock" 1-2 inch rock, they are using small rock to upgrade the roads. Hard to know how they will finish but right now there are some sites with a pretty unstable surface. We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Travel Trailer.

The big attraction in this area is Hormel's Spam Museum in Austin. Interesting place to stop. Never knew they had so many varieties of Spam.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $40.00

This is a typical KOA with standard amenities...pool, store, laundry, ice cream social, etc. The facilities were clean and in working order, but nothing special. The men's restroom had been newly remodeled, and I would guess the women's restroom is next. The location is carved out of a cornfield, 7 miles from the nearest town. It is right off of I90 and attracted overnighters on their way to Mt. Rushmore. We stayed for 3 nights and didn't find much to do in Albert Lea or Austin, especially not in the middle of the week. The younger staff members could have been a little more friendlier, but all were accommodating. Our site was on the end of a row, spacious and shady. However, the area needed some rain, so it was pretty dusty. I wouldn't recommend this campground for a multi night stay. We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Travel Trailer.

The Spam Museum is new and free in Austin. An hour drive away is Forestville State Park, offering the Mystery Cave tour.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $43.00

This KOA is just off of I-90 between Austin and Albert Lea. It was very noisy. Sites are small and close together. Site surface was gravel and featured a fire ring and picnic table. We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $38.00

This was an overnight stopover, picked from the Good Sam book, without chance of checking RVPR. So our expectations were only 1: level site, 2: adequate utilities, and 3: clean restrooms. Results were 1: interior roads were dirt (actually mud as it rained the day before) and sites are dirt/mud with some gravel - but level. 2: utilities were ok 3: showerhouse is under renovation, so a bit of a mess, and not well cleaned (I was there in evening, then next morning, and they are cleaned at 1:00 but still no excuse). Location is convenient to the I-90, and far enough away for minimal road noise, and spacing is adequate for maneuvering. I would be cautious about recommending them until the showerhouse renovations underway are completed, and their roads/sites get reworked with adequate gravel. We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $37.00

Stayed here overnight. Typical koa amenities but no cable tv. Could not get wifi but we carry our own so no problem there. Staff were very friendly. Roads could use more gravel but ok. Overall good place to park overnight. We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $39.00

This is an OK overnight campground. It has the amenities you would expect at a KOA. It looks tired and could use some maintenance. I did not look at laundry or play area. There is some play equipment and a big grassy field where I saw dogs exercising. The road into the park is wide and level, but it is graded dirt. It's interior roads and sites are in need of repair and they are very muddy. We were not led to the site although there was a cart there. I realize you can't control rain but the roads and sites didn't appear to have much gravel left. We left deep gouges when we turned to pull in. It has been raining all night and I am concerned what we will find when we try to leave.

I made specific reservations for a site that was satellite friendly. The one we got was not. When we asked to be moved to the one directly in front of us, we were told that someone was coming in for it. We asked if they could move them and they did. We would stay here again but only as a stopover and only when not rainy (if possible). We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Motorhome.

Dirt, Grass

Be sure to inquire about satellite friendly or not. All the trees are a pretty good size. Since it has been raining, I would inquire about condition of the road, sites, etc.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $37.00

Spacious and grassy with plenty of room for the dogs to run. Restrooms and showers were clean. We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $37.00

This is a very nice park that we will stay at anytime we are in the Albert Lea area. We've found KOA's to be a mixed bag but this is one of the good ones. Clean and well manicured with corn fields all around. Service was friendly. It was a quiet pleasant place to stay. We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $36.00

Called ahead to get a pull through with full hookups. Was told they only had 30 amp which was ok. When we got there paid and went to our site there was no sewer hookup! They have to let their customers know so they can prepare for this.

We ask for a refund and they refunded our card. We moved on.

Shame on you KOA! We camped at Albert Lea / Austin KOA in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Albert Lea / Austin KOA

Are you affiliated with Albert Lea / Austin KOA ?