Shields Lake Campground

Sites: not sure m
Recent Rate: $31 7/2007

• Big Rig Access Big Rig Access no
  • Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?
  • Electric (50 AMP) Electric (50 AMP) no
  • Sewer Sewer no
  • Family Friendly Family Friendly no

Motorhome Madness

Date of Stay: July, 2007 - $31.00

Boy, that last review was exactly what my family and I experienced. Originally I found the place in the phone book and was told it was a good place to fish. The owner/manager was always drunk, extremely crabby, rude, did not have standard supplies such as ice, etc. The launch was so disgusting we had to drive to another campground and pay to use their facilities. The electric kept shorting out, they do not have sewer hookups. They offered free "Honey Wagon Service" to all his beer drinking friends, but everybody else was on their own. Also, the water hookup was leaking and made our campsite muddy. The owner/manager told us if we didn't like it to get the hell out. NICE! NICE! Also, the fish cleaning house was causing a major black fly out-break. It stank like fish guts everywhere. I realize it is not their fault, but nobody could get cell phone or TV reception. We camped at Shields Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Motorhome Madness

Date of Stay: March, 2007 - $35.00

We visited this campgrounds early in the season. Upon arrival, a very large and obviously intoxicated male approached us and identified himself as the manager/campground operator. (This is a county park leased to a private individual on a revenue/percentage basis). This "Manager" who was drunk, then proceeded to escort us to our campsite via driving while intoxicated on a 4 wheeler. When I asked him if he was concerned about getting a DWI he replied; Who the F***k is going to know? And raised his hands in the air. The next day we attempted to launch our boat but the launch was so bad because it was shallow, packed with weeds 3 feet deep and under the weeds the base was not sand or gravel but soft slimy mud you get stuck in that instead we had to drive across the lake to a public launch instead. NICE! Later in the season we tried to give this place a second chance. Two weeks before Memorial Day weekend, we called to make reservations. The phones went unanswered for as I left messages day after day (10 days straight) requesting return phone calls to book reservation. We got the impression that the place may have gone out of business so we contacted the county to see. Roughly 1 hour later, we received a phone call from the same manager from before; he said, "Who is this?" I gave him my name and then he immediately said that they were full and rudely hung up on me. I tried to call back, he repeatedly hung up on me. We later stayed at another place close by called Winjums Shady Acres. On Sunday as we were leaving, we decided to drive over to the Shieldsville Campgrounds to see if they actually "were" completely full. As we were pulling onto the property, this same large male came out and told us to back our vehicle OFF the property immediately. I asked him if there was a problem; he immediately raised his arm and pointed his finger in my face and angrily said, "Yea! there's a problem, it's you"! He then proceeded to say that I had made a "BIG MISTAKE" in calling the county before. He then said that his wife had BLACK BALLED us from ever camping at this place again. I argued that he did not own the place but that the county does, he then crossed his arms and said that if I wanted to "Try him" then just step right out of my camper and "See what happens". Moose hunting is out of season so we left. Do not stay at this campground. It has no oversight from the county, it is run down. This manager is rude, aggressive, abusive, narcissistic and does not have a clue as how to run a business. He is an alcoholic, drinks on the job and fraternizes with the guests. This place is unreal. We camped at Shields Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Camp Faribo Campground

Faribault, Minnesota

Camp RnL RV Park

Long Prairie, Minnesota

Camp S'more

Long Prairie, Minnesota

Are you affiliated with Shields Lake Campground?