Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground)

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

Hours above shown for Mountain Time Zone

• Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities no
  • Golf Golf yes
  • Pickleball Pickleball no

Ask fellow campers about "Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground)" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $25.00

The park is a work-in-progress with mature trees and new saplings. Electric, water, sewer, and WiFi all were good. Our site was pull-through and double-sized; we parked our tow next to our coach with plenty of room. Other than the trains, which did not bother us, the place is quiet. The owner has plans for improved sites and a good-sized dog run. Her joy-filled commitment to her property and business is refreshing. We camped at Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground) in a Motorhome.

C9
Sand, Grass

Flyover Brewing Company--newly opened with good craft beer.

Captain Critters Country Campground, owner at Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground) responded to this review

Thank you for such a kind review, and thank you for staying here at Captain Critters Country Campground. As time goes by, I hope that I can accomplish my plans to continue making improvements to the park. It was great to meet you and I hope your travels are fun, adventurous, and safe!!

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $25.00

Park is a work in progress. New owner and she works very hard to make your stay enjoyable. Park was closed for quite awhile and new owner is working hard to reestablish a nice park. We stayed two nights and would return. There is a train nearby but owner obviously has no control of that. Decent park for the cost. We camped at Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground) in a Motorhome.

Dirt, Grass

Hello and thank you for posting your awesome review of my campground. :-) I hope you continue to have safe, fun, and exciting travels!! Thanks again!!

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $40.00

Stayed at Captain Critters Campground for 3 months while working, great price, great service, good WiFi and large sites. Still needs works but owner has had property for less than a year and is working on renovations. Owner is super friendly and more than accommodating. We camped at Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Dirt, Sand

Hello Z, E, and beautiful little L!! Thank you so much for your review and for choosing to stay here at my campground. Your input is invaluable to me and I truly appreciate it. You are really great campers and friends, so I hope to see you again sometime down the road. Travel safely, and I can't wait to hear about how you someday out golf Tiger Woods!!!! :-)

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $40.00

Very poorly managed. No effort to upgrade, clean or improve the camgroud. Very unclean. A train blows a horn every 20 minutes, loudly 4 to 6 times. Tacky tires around little trees & a trashy busted swimming pool with thousands of mosquitoes. We camped at Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Middle 1st camper

Poor Conditions

Stay else where. Unfortunatly only one other camp site avaible in town. It's the Hylton of campgrounds. We'll be going there this weekend.

Dear M Davis,
I'm sorry to hear your stay was less than satisfactory. If I may, I'd like to address your concerns to hopefully make it a better experience for future campers. Admittedly the grasses/weeds got long in July when the mowing service was temporarily unavailable, and for this I humbly apologize. The trains across the highway blow their horns 4 times (2 longs, 1 short, and 1 long) with each intersection passing. This is a federal law over which I have no control. I feel that your description of "tacky tires" deserves an explanation. They protect the 79+ seedling trees that I've planted throughout the grounds, and they were painted by a group of high-functioning adults with down syndrome in a heartfelt effort to give them something to do. The swimming pool was in such poor shape when I purchased the park last year that it is in the process of being "buried" which is why it's filled with branches. As for mosquitoes, this is Nebraska and they will be present wherever you go.

Featured Campgrounds Near Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground)

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $25.00

Love love love the staff! Lots of room for dog walking and bike rides. Will definitely be back!!! We camped at Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

33 I

Very friendly and helpful! Scottsbluff is nearby, as well as other entertainment, the zoo and eats! Shopping very close by as well.

It was such a pleasure to have you, your husband, and your sweet fur-babies stay here at the campground. You are truly special and I hope some day to see you here again. Travel safely, and please give "Zero" a big cuddle from me!! :-)

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $23.00

had a really hard time rating this CG. We stayed for 1 night on our way to SD. The only thing poor about this CG is the train nearby....running all night long...could not give it an "average" rating because of the grounds. This CG needs some TLC, has potential, grounds need attention. host tries hard, good water pressure and elec. The host refunded $10 of our fee because the water in the RR was being sanitized and could not be used. Not a problem for us. We camped at Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground) in a Fifth Wheel.

A3

stop at Daylight donuts in Scottsbluff

Thank you for your review. I humbly apologize that your stay here at Captain Critters Country Campground was less than satisfactory. You arrived on the only day that the water heater was being "bleached" for the bathroom. So, for your protection, I ensured that you were aware of it and didn't use it. To compensate you for the inconvenience, I refunded you $10 out of the $23 that you paid, so I'm truly disappointed that you didn't find "value" in it. Lastly, I apologize for apparently not explaining that your RV site was not only extra long (65-70'), but it was also 45+ feet wide to allow for plenty of vehicle parking.

Prior to July of 2017, the campground was closed for nearly five years and we've worked hard to "rehabilitate" it. It is a work in progress, so I hope as time goes on, it will become the kind of beautiful park that meets or exceeds your satisfaction.

Date of Stay: November, 2017 - $25.00

Captain Critters is a new campground (looks like it was previously an old KOA) and is being renovated. New water lines, double wide sites. Owner is great and will do anything to help. Lower rate because of construction. Easy in and out from 26. Convenient to Scottsbluff and sights in the area. If you like trains: this is a great place! Busy tracks nearby give plenty of opportunity for train watching. Owner has big plans for the park so I'm sure it will only get better. We camped at Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground) in a Fifth Wheel.

D5

Scott's Bluff, Agate Fossil Beds and Fort Laramie National Park sites are all nearby. Scottsbluff is a nice little city with plenty of amenities.

Thank you for staying at Captain Critters and for your kind review. I hope you will come back and stay with us sometime in the future. Wishing you safe travels!!
JWT

Date of Stay: July, 2009 - $23.00

This is a former KOA that is clean and well maintained and a lot more reasonably priced now that it is not a KOA. The bathrooms were spotless and the lady at the check in must have been a reincarnation of Abraham Lincoln. She accidentally overcharged me a nickle and made a special trip to refund same to us. The only down side is the trains across the street that come through Scotts Bluff. The engineers love to hit those horns. We were so tired that we did not notice. The campground is just west of downtown Scotts Bluff on US-26. We camped at Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2007 - $35.00

This campground is a Dump! It was a KOA, but they dropped it or it went broke. It is currently being managed by some nice folks, I assume hired by the bank holding the mortgage, but they are doing only minimal maintenance. There was a sign on the wall that the CG is for sale. The pool and bathrooms are being maintained. The drive up appeal is awful. We only stayed because it was the end of a long day and I just couldn't drive on any further. It is also only about 100' from a very busy freight train line and a railroad road crossing, so train horns go all night long! Our electric was the old screw in fuse type, I has to re-tighten the fuse several times during the night as the power kept going off. Go north 10 miles to Lake Minitare SP if you're planning to stay and tour Chimney Rock, Scott's Bluff and other Oregon trail sites. We camped at Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground) in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: August, 2007 - $35.00

This park is no longer a KOA, it is now Rte 26 Campground and it is a dump! Do not stay there. A rip off at any price and only 100' from a very busy coal and freight train line. My suggestion, go 10 miles north of town and stay at the Lake Minitare SP. They have electric sites only, but nice paved back in sites. Nice showers and bath facilities also. We camped at Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2006 - $26.00

Like other reveiers, BN layes the Horn on every hr on the hr. Its not the most restful place for ZZZZZ's Also we are pretty new at camping but I ended up with a darn itchy case of the chiggers :-( On the Positive most sites if not all are pull thru and the owners are friendly and stated if we need more time than the 11am checkout it was no big deal. We have family in Scottsbluff but will have to try out the other grounds next time. We camped at Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Captain Critters Country Campground (formerly Route 26 Campground) ?