Walker River Resort

Smith, Nevada

Latitude: 38.8375195426242

Tvl Junky

We really wanted to like this resort more than we did. The all dirt roads and sites just meant everything was dusty. We didn't see the river at all as it was a hike from the campground or to access the walking trail required going 3 miles out to the main and going down a different road. We aren't fans of side-by-side hook-ups, but knew that is what they were. That said, with the park less than 20% occupied, why did they were they assigning everyone facing spaces? There were 2 tables for the 2 sites with only one side usable because they were touching and no place else to put them. We did an easy day trip to Lake Tahoe just because we didn't want to spend time hanging out in the dust. We camped at Walker River Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Grover48

RV Park is in a remote area. All the interior roads are dirt. Read dusty conditions. The access is good for big rigs. Wide turns and wide sites. My son camped in a 40 foot fifth wheel and had no trouble negotiating the turns. Our site required two inches of blocks to make it level side to side. The park specializes in ATY and POY access to BLM land. Lots of ORV activity. The store-bar-lounge has Wi-Fi available. AT&T cell service worked very well. Power was off for a few hours during a storm. Water was off one morning during repairs to the system. The area is windy and dusty. There are two sporting clay courses on site. Friendly and helpful staff. We will be back again. We camped at Walker River Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

KampingKris

Fall is a wonderful time to be here. The riding was great - miles and miles of trails offering fabulous views. If you don't like off road vehicles however, this might not be the place for you. Spots are adequate in size. We enjoyed the hospitality of the staff and the free hot dogs during Monday nite football. Wifi in the lodge is adequate. Our rate reflects Resort Parks International. We'll be back next year. We camped at Walker River Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

nananana

I have been coming to Walker River Resort since 2003, I have found the park to be clean and very personable in every fashion. They go out of their way to be accommodating and really make Memorial Days and Labor Days family fun weekends. This is one of the last places in Nevada that you can bring your ATVs to ride for miles in very rustic but very scenic areas. I have read some of the review of others: what they do not say is this is a high desert area, and the owners have gone out of their way to plant lots of trees so everyone can have shade, the park is set on sand-type dirt, but if you were to go to other parks you will also find sand-type dirt that you must park on. If those people are so unhappy with dirt: do not go to Lake Tahoe, stay out of Nevada's state parks, and go to a parking lot to camp. I have found that 99% of the employees who work here are friendly and try to make everyone's stay very comfortable. I have met a few unfriendly employees over the past 6 years but that is just mother nature. I will continue to recommend this park to all of my friends and will keep on coming back for many years to come. We camped at Walker River Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

bek

We had a wonderful time. This was our 4th time this year. We are now looking to buy a membership at this campground. The owners are so nice and helpful and they are so concerned about the people who camp there. The pool area is always clean and the people in the store and bar go out of their way to make you feel at home and wanted. I can not say anything bad about this place. While there they had 1 incident where a group was too loud and kept going until 1:30 am; they ask them to please be quiet for the rest of the campers I Love This Place. We camped at Walker River Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

NVDesertGirl

As bad as our experience was, it makes me feel better that someone else feels the same way. This place has a good location, they should just sell it and move on...horrible owners and staff. Prior reviewer must have read my notes! We camped at Walker River Resort in a Tent Trailer.

r8r.rich

Horrible. This was by far the worst camping experiences my family and friends have ever had. First of all, the staff was extremely rude. If you have kids you may want to avoid this place. A lady that claimed to be the owner yelled at the kids for riding their bikes and throwing rocks into the river. She then yelled at the adults for not “supervising” the kids. As she drove away from our camp she burned out, throwing rocks at one of our vehicles, scratching it. (One of the camp rules is “no burning out”) She was violating the rules herself. At night, the camp restrooms had out of order signs on them and were locked up. We asked the “camp security” guy (who drove around all day and night kicking up dust nonstop) when the restrooms would be fixed. He told us they were not broken; they were locked up because they feared “vandalism” from some of the campers they had trouble with. What kind of place are they running? They way we were treated I could understand the fears they had. Good thing we are law abiding citizens. Others that are not so law abiding must have been mistreated in the past and vandalized the property. I wouldn’t recommend this campsite to anyone. It was an unbelievably bad experience. We camped at Walker River Resort in a Travel Trailer.

NVDesertGirl

Thought we would give this place another chance. Customer service is still a joke, friends wondered what we were thinking to drag them here. Not Good! Will never be back! We camped at Walker River Resort in a Motorhome.

in80ways

I used my AOR membership to stay at this park. After coming from a not so quiet park at Lake Tahoe, I was pleasantly surprised with this park. The other recent comments for this park are true, but I was lucky to have stayed midweek when it was quiet, and to have met lots of nice people while at the park. The facilities are very well kept and the surrounding rolling hills and crisp clean air were very welcome. The park even has a full bar with big screen tv and casino Poker machines to occupy your time. The park is about 30 miles from the nearest stop light, so stock up on supplies and hold little hope for cell service. There is a payphone in the very clean laundry room with a dial-up phone line for internet service which worked out ok for me. Come prepared with a calling card though since the payphone takes no coins and I had the unfortunate discovery that my short phone calls were costing me $20 - $30 each on my credit card. The sites are adequate in size, though most face one another. It is a good place to meet new friends. The only other downside was an overabundance of houseflies which took me about a week to irradicate from my RV. I will definitely stay here again. We camped at Walker River Resort in a Motorhome.

NVDesertGirl

OK, out of town family wanted to camp here when they came up from CA. Under protest we stayed. Since it was not the weekend, it was only somewhat less than tolerable, therefore my 2 rating. There are other areas out there, just look around! Dirt and poor customer service will prevent me from EVER coming back again...family included!! Everyone else has stated the obvious. We camped at Walker River Resort in a Motorhome.

luvdoggiez

First off let me say, we do not have Quad runners, dirt bikes or BMX bikes. We are both in our mid forties and the extent of our adventuring usually involves walking the dogs. That being said, we really did enjoy the walker river resort. And yes, we will come back here again. There are a couple of reasons I gave this place an 8. One, no Wi-Fi, but not everyone needs that. The other is the fact of the sand. We managed to keep the sand out of our rig for the most part, but we did track some in. The sand is courser than beach sand, so it doesn't get everywhere like beach sand does. For those that enjoy the high desert, and like to use Quads, dirt bikes and such, this place is pretty near perfect. For those who enjoy just casual camping this is a great place until probably Memorial day. Then I would imagine, it would get a little busy and dusty. The management team is very pleasant, and does a very good job of letting Off roaders know what the rules are. I will admit the 9 hole golf course is a little corny, but fun none the less! The buildings, have been there for a while, but all are very well kept. Though we always use the facilities on board our rig, we would have no concerns what so ever using the bathrooms or showers. The Convenience store is one of the better stocked ones we have seen. There are acres and acres of places to let your pooches run. The pool area appears to be seasonal as it was closed this weekend, but the beautiful vista's make this place a must see in our book. However, if a little dust and sand bothers you, you may want to avoid this campground as all of the campsites area surrounded by packed sand. Undoubtedly though, we will make this a place we will visit again. Happy Camping! We camped at Walker River Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

This is the life

This park has been one of our favorites over the years; mainly due to being the only resort-type within a hundred miles from home, and it's many trees in a desert location. It's becoming more and more family oriented, allowing ATV's and motorcycles (and there's lots of them) to come and go in the park, with many not adhering to speed limits. In 2007, the price increased an additional $6.00 for full hookups. With all the noise & dust, in conjunction with another $4.00 rate hike for 2008, as retirees and looking for peace and quiet, we will not be staying at this park again. We camped at Walker River Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

NVDesertGirl

Concur with other reviews about staff, dirt and ac/power issues. Not much more that I could add. Even if we were not "just passing through the area", we wouldn't come back. Too bad, it has a unique location. We camped at Walker River Resort in a Truck Camper.

atvguy

My husband and I thought we would give this place another chance. We do like the location and the park has potential. The dirt and electrical are still issues. Very Hot at triple digits and your a/c keeps popping off. The workers still need to try to have some sense of customer service. Maybe if we were able to come during the week there may be less MX riders, dirt and noise. We camped at Walker River Resort in a Motorhome.

NVDesertGirl

I wasn't going to post a review until I read the last one. I agree with most of the other folks. My husband and I are dirtbike riders and don't mind the dust, but to sleep in the mess is unbearable. Even at the 5 mph limit, it reminds me of "Pigpen", the character in Peanuts. A tsunami cloud of talc dirt follows you everywhere. Get some gravel! The staff is just plain rude. There are "stray" compound dogs all over the place leaving you presents in the morning, which YOU must pick up or get yelled at...we don't even have a dog! BTW, I don't have three cell phone carriers like the last reviewer, just Cingular/ATT, which had bars, but when you attempt to call, you get "emergency calls only" on the screen. My husband is in the telecom biz, it is because the little local company does not allow access. We won't be back! We camped at Walker River Resort in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Walker River Resort?