Avalon campground

Clermont, New Jersey

campincrew

The entrance to the park is very nice and clean; excellent impression. The staff was so/so. One was nice and pleasant, the next not so much. I called prior to arrival to see if we could check in early. I told the girl I would pay for the night but couldn't get there til the morning. She said the site was empty (2 weeks prior to checking in), but she would note my file and if it was empty the night before they would accommodate. I called the day before and the site was still open. Keep in mind I told them I would pay for the extra night, but couldn't get there until the next morning. I was told NO because someone may come in during the evening for a site. Really? I was willing to pay the $62 for an extra night, but they wanted to see if someone would come in off the street for a spot? I guess they thought maybe they could have gotten $100 for a last minute overnight rental. Either way their greed got the best of them and they lost the $62 I was willing to pay for early check in. Attached to the store is an adult lounge where the Wi-Fi is available. Next to that is a game room; air conditioned with a nice assortment of games. All three of these facilities are immaculate. The pool area is somewhat small for the size of this campground. Chairs that weren't broken were hard to find. On the weekend, both pools were packed to the point where you are just getting kicked in the back and jumped on. That was ok because we were here for the beach and used the pool very little. The showers, bathrooms and laundry across from the pool were also immaculate. Now on to the bad part which is the cause of the low rating. We were assigned to a spot in the "P" section behind the pool. Our site was so unlevel that one side of our camper was raised 4" off the ground! The site was made up of stones and what appeared to be concrete debris. This broken up stone destroyed our patio mat as when you walked on the mat the sharp pieces of concrete went right through it! It was also very hard on your ankles to walk across this site because the size of this debris varied (some pieces the size of tennis balls), and we all found our ankles to be rolling on the rocks. The water and cable hookup for the site next to ours was right in the middle of our own site! Not in the back; not in the front, but right smack in the middle of our site. Not very comfortable or convenient. We were thankful to have a very nice couple next to us at first. It seemed like minutes after they left in comes the next camper. This person had his son helping him and I'm not sure either one of them knew what they were doing because, yes, they pulled the lever for their BLACK TANKS! Gallons and gallons of crap came flying out. They were from out of the country, and apparently had a long trip. I was sitting not 3 feet away from this, on my postage stamp. Truly the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. While this is not the fault of the campground, they should have staff overseeing the transition of their campers. Needless to say that ended our trip of being able to sit out and eat dinner. They claim the site we were given, they put 40' rigs on. There is no way a rig of that size can fit onto these sites properly. I understand it's all about the money, but when you are being charged a premium to be packed in like a sardine, it's not worth it, especially if you can't open your slide or awning, or both. It also was a safety issue as we kept tripping over the water and cable lines for the next site that were placed in the middle of our site. Additionally, we believe this site must have been dug up repeatedly because of the high middle ground. Another issue with the site was the flies. Never have I seen flies so bad! Was this site a septic site? Behind our camper towards the brush had a horrible smell of urine. Possibly, or were people using the brush as a toilet. We did see campers down the row from us dumping garbage into the brush behind their camper. Once again, I believe that is the campground's fault. They have lots of staff sweeping and starting leaf blowers at 8:00 am, but no one to assist or make sure things are ok. The office just looks at you and says: "Sorry." The sites in the back of the park are wooded with a bit more breathing room, but appeared to be quite difficult to get into as some are between trees, sites, and at odd angles with very narrow one way roads. If our site wasn't so miserable, it would have been a good stay. We camped at Avalon campground in a Travel Trailer.

GlennNJ

My wife & I camped here to be near a butterfly exhibit. I'm also trying all of the CG's I can in NJ as we live in NJ and we are looking for a perm home CG. We had one of new sites behind the pool which was close to the pool which was nice. The negatives were broken stone for pad for trailer to set on; preventing me from going barefoot. Site were very close together and the maintenance people started early on Sat and Sun preventing late sleep in. A previous review said they were able to get Wi-Fi at these sites we weren't. We camped at Avalon campground in a Travel Trailer.

SandraGene

We camped here off-season in the beginning of June. The campground was pretty empty which made it very enjoyable. The restrooms had lots of mold and were rarely clean. The bathroom stalls were not nice at all. If you were to be sitting on the toilet, the stall door was against your knees (and I am not very tall). The restrooms were my biggest complaint. The pool was clean and the camp store was nice. The beach in nearby Avalon is beautiful. You do have to drive a bit to get to it. We camped here with 2 kids and a baby. We camped at Avalon campground in a Travel Trailer.

mgirardo

This was the first time my family camped at Avalon Campground. As far as Jersey Shore campgrounds go I was impressed. I've stayed at several and this was the nicest I've stayed at. We were camped right behind the 2 pools. These are relatively new sites and could be a little wider, but had ample room for our two slideouts and awning. There were a lot of cable TV channels available and Wi-Fi was just receivable at our site. They do not offer Wi-Fi throughout the campground, we were just close enough to the source. They do require a username and password that is good for 6 hours. We camped for a week and enjoyed the campground. There are tons of amenities, 2 pools, a decent playground for little ones, a full basketball court, baseball diamond, horseshoes, miniature golf and a game room. The camp store was decent, not too expensive. If you stay in the original portion of the campground in the back, it is similar to most of the Jersey Shore campgrounds, real cramped with lots of seasonal sites. The main negative is the abundance of French Canadians. Most of our stay we were the minority. I have not experienced that at the other Jersey Shore campgrounds I've stayed at. We will definitely stay here again as long as we get one of the newer sites behind the pool. We camped at Avalon campground in a Motorhome.

fredmertz

This is a great CG. Nice size sites, lots of activities, great playground for the kids, 2 pools. The bathrooms are clean and 25 cents gives you more than enough time to take a shower. We have stayed here 4 times and the only concern we ever had was that one site they put us on was a bit short for my 32 ft. TT. We parked across the street. No problem. We will be back. We camped at Avalon campground in a Travel Trailer.

SandraGene

This was our first time to this campground. The nightly rate listed above was their off season rate. It was very empty which made our stay even more enjoyable. They have very good security. The bathhouses were clean but you have to pay 25 cents for a 7 minute shower so don't forget your quarters. They have a nice store there where you can buy the things you forgot and ACME is right down the road if you need something they don't have. The owners and employees were VERY friendly in person and also on the telephone. The pools were great! I would definitely camp here again!!! We camped at Avalon campground in a Tent Trailer.

TikiKen

This campground is nice and very clean, but doesn't really stand out. It's kind of like vanilla ice cream. Not as much for the kids to do and the walk from the site to the camp store is a hike. One funny note, one of the carved wooden signs pointing out the way to the bath house, actually reads "BATHOUSE". The owners were very nice also. We camped at Avalon campground in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Avalon campground?