Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake

• Putt Putt Mini-Golf Putt Putt Mini-Golf yes
  • Billiards Billiards yes
  • Pond Pond yes

Date of Stay: November, 2017 - $25.00

In fairness, they opened specially in early Nov for our club rally, so I can't criticize too much for the lack of services. But I was not impressed. Sites were generally small (short) for larger rigs, especially when adjacent to seasonal people. We felt like we were too close to the road. Several grassy sites were soft w/ depressions that could collect water after rains. Newly redone sandy sites had very deep loose sand - several people had a little trouble pulling in and leveling. We had to move from our first site because the water wouldn't turn on. Neighboring seasonal people dominated water and cable connections. Roads along the side were tree covered but branches hung down too low for us. The bathrooms in the main building had only 1 toilet and 2 showers each, although there was a second, maybe larger restroom building, which was closed while we were there. I wouldn't call the main building restrooms clean but not dirty either. The pool was new with a large nice patio. Its probably nice during the summer. They have 2 nice banquet rooms for parties, which we took advantage of for our large group. If you haven't been here before, drive around to check out the site size and spacing before parking, especially with rigs over 35'. Overall we probably wouldn't stay here again because the pool and communal areas didn't compensate for the conditions of the sites. We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $1.00

It's a pretty basic park. The pool had closed when we were there as well as the second set of restrooms, they have a very basic clubhouse and a playground. That's about it. The mini-golf area is in pretty bad shape and not much else to do there. We stayed in the back half and the sites were an average size. Electric, water & sewage all good. The one set of restrooms were kept clean. We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Fifth Wheel.

I highly recommend taking the very short drive to Smithville, it's got lots of novelty shops and a few restaurants. Not much else in the immediate area. Plan to drive about 30 minutes to get to most shopping/dining options.

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $15.00

We are TT Zone pass holders with the trails collection added on, giving us access to this park. Very convenient location off Garden State. FHU at site 214. Beautiful new pool and clubhouse with very nice landscaping. Friendly staff. This is the Jersey shore, carry bug spray. Mosquitos are still active late Sept. Very nice value, price reflects an estimate of our overnight costs with TT for zone pass and collections add on fee. We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Motorhome.

WM SC 9 mile north. Smithville is nearby with good shops and restaurants. There is a bridge between the park and Smithville that has a weight restriction on it...no MH and single lane. GPS properly programmed will take you around it.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $47.00

I've never flamed an RV park before, but this one earns it. I have never been somewhere with so much garbage around. The first time I parked, I went out my side door into a huge pile of vomit. I moved. Ok, not gonna fault the park there. BUT, the sheer amount of trash in the bushes, trees, piled in the dumpsters, behind the dumpster all over the ground; and this was not after a big weekend. I saw cars driving to put their garbage in this piled high dumpster, and was a bit bewildered about it, until I was walking my dog and went to throw a poo bag away (maybe a first for this park), and saw the sign on another dumpster that said "if this dumpster is full, find another." It seems a small thing to get more dumpsters! Really! The water is rusty; I had to break out my filter for that. Between the serious cat infestation and the ever-so-enticing vomit pile in the site next door, walking my dog was a challenge. The two loose (unrelated) pit bulls were scary, so I walked with my pepper-spray at the ready. I was acres away from any bathhouse, but they had the solution! A porta potty! Way out in back was better than the crammed area on the other side with cars blocking any possible way into your site. Did I mention this place charged $47??? No discounts for anyone, other than 1000 trails. There were volkswagon sized potholes in the road full of water (no rain for 2 days) that there was no way around without getting stuck in the mud. Fortunate for me, I have a little 24' class C, so I made a 15 point turn and went back the way I had come in. So much for pull through! The water spigot leaked so badly, running down the cable wire that I wonder how much longer it will work, though. The cable worked, though, and the gals in the office were nice. Those are the only 2 nice things I can say about this park. This was my introduction to New Jersey. I sure hope it gets better. We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Motorhome.

Other

Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $10.00

I stayed here in 2013 and had to clean goose poop on site. There is NONE at this time and I did not see a goose here. The new pool (No spa) is 86 degrees and very nicely done as is the new lounge bldg and the office makeover. I was favorably impressed by the improvements. Staff was pleasant. We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Motorhome.

There are numerous restaurants in the area, e.g. Smithville which is a short drive. There's a new Walmart in Tuckerton. The weather in September is usually good, and the traffic is decreased as schools are back in session.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $10.00

The price reflects RPI Prefered. There are two sections, one close to the entrance, playground, pool and Adult club house and the other by the pond/lake. About half the sites have FHU with 30/50 amp, the other half are 30 amp with water but no sewer. We stayed in a FHU site near the club house. The sites are on level grass and fairly close together but plenty of room for slides and tables. Our sections is somewhat "woodsie", we were in a shady areas (except morning sun). The pond sections appeared more open. As we have found at most Thousand Trail parks, we picked out our site upon arrival. We were provided with a map of reserved annual sites and told to select our site from any of the other open sites. The cable and wifi are both excellent. We always had strong/fast wifi. I don't know if that is true at all sites (we are near the entrance/office). The pool and club house are very nice, the pool the nicest we have seen - more like an upscale resort, both in the landscaping and the furnishings. The club house has all new furniture. We were told they were both new in the past few years. The landscaping at the entrance and around the club house and pool is very attractive. The staff was very gracious and helpful. We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Motorhome.

We loved the beach in Atlantic City, about 17 miles away. Smithville is a fun place to visit with lots of boutique shops in a historic setting (5 miles). A roadside produce stand a couple of blocks away provided us with fresh veggies each day. We drove to Cape May and then took the slow coastal route up to Atlantic City, enjoying the Doo Wop architecture of Wildwood, the historic Cape May with its lovely Painted Lady Victorians.

Date of Stay: June, 2016

We stayed at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake while visiting family in the area. The rate was free for 30A hookup for Thousand Trails members / family courtesy card holders. The sites with sewer hookups were pretty nearly full, not a lot of options on where to park. For our 43' motorhome, the sites were a bit tight, particularly getting in/out since the sites are perpendicular to the roads, and the roads are rather narrow - multiple forward/backward passes to park and to leave. There are many geese and when we first arrived, our site was covered with goose poop, but we cleaned it up (plastic gloves and WalMart bags) and didn't have any more geese visit our site during our stay.

Getting to the campground was interesting because there isn't an exit off of Garden State Parkway northbound, so we went past the street, made a u-turn at the next exit, and then exited via southbound Garden State. There was a sign at the turnoff onto the road where the campground is located that there is a 3 ton weight limit bridge ahead, but it is well past the entrance to the campground.

In 20/20 hindsight, it probably would have been better for us to occupy a water/electric site and use the dump station - those sites appear to be much less frequently in use and we would not have had as close neighbors. But, on the positive, we got to meet our neighbors and, as is common in Thousand Trails parks, they were very neighborly! We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Atlantic City was a close drive and we enjoyed watching the offshore boat races.

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $18.00

Pool and rec room to equal a top dollar park. Old park. grass and weed spots, with a small amount of gravel woven in as pad. Some have concrete patios. Like a parking lot. Lack of angling the sites is an issue when it comes to feeling boxed in. Staff is very willing to help. Nice lake or pond depends on how you look at it. I would have given cleanliness a 10, except, although clean, the shower curtains had mold on them. There are Geese and you do have to dodge their poop a bit. Lots of very cute goslings. Its ok for a few days. Not all have sewer. We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Motorhome.

Very close to Philadelphia, Cape May, Atlantic City and Smithville. The main reason we chose this campground.

Date of Stay: October, 2015 - $1.00

Updated pool & Jacuzzi with club house. Updated 50A service. Playground. Most sites are grassy pull-through's. Sites appear to be somewhat level. Plenty of grassy area for pet's. We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Motorhome.

Convenient to Atlantic City & shore locations. Major shopping 5 miles away.

Date of Stay: July, 2015 - $3.00

This is an old park that has had several improvements. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We were there when they had a grand re-opening so things were all spruced up. The park was easy to get to and surrounded by many pretty little towns. The Family Center was not open yet but inside looked nice. The office area is especially nice though it seems like a bit of wasted space. The grounds are nicely kept but mosquitoes were almost unbearable. August may not be the most desirable time to be at this park. Restrooms were clean and the handicapped one has everything in it for a shower (toilet, big dressing area, shower, etc.). We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Tent Trailer.

A
Concrete, Gravel, Grass

Harbor towns, shopping, seafood

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $1.00

We are TT members so this campground was part of our membership package. You have two choices of sites: in the crowded back there is 30A, water & sewer. In the spacious grassy front there is 50A & water - no sewer. However, the honey wagon will come around if requested and, at this time, is free. They are working on the park at this time. The pool area is very nice, ready for summer, and they have updated the clubhouse and bathroom area. It is a work in progress. You can buy WiFi for a daily or weekly price. Cable is included with your fee. There is shuffleboard, kayaking, a beach on the lake, volleyball, a nice playground, and a miniature golf course that needs a bit of cleaning. Nice family campground. We would definitely stay here again. We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Motorhome.

Try Shea's for breakfast. It will be about a 20 minute drive but well worth it. They have many different kinds of pancakes, all involving loads of whipped cream and the French toast is equally well decorated.

Date of Stay: August, 2014 - $10.00

Thousand Trails - NACO - Encore RV park. Paved main road and gravel site roads. All sites grass, wide, long and level. Have both back-in and pull-through sites. Many pull-through sites are full hookups and a few trees for shade but most open for good sat signal. Only 30 amp. OK TV signals, free cable, Wi-Fi at sites through outside service ($). Next to and access to lake, park has pool, small rec room, playground and mini golf. Good Verizon voice & 4G signals. The staff was friendly and helpful. 10 miles from Atlantic City. Would stay there again. Rate is for RPI members. We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2014 - $3.00

We stayed here in a 42' fifth wheel. There were some sites available with sewer but we didn't have one of those. Staff was very friendly and accommodating of our size rig. The area where we parked was quite open when we got there and the geese and accompanying mess covered the area. We scooped our site clear so that we didn't drag any inside. Mosquitoes were in abundance all day and all night long. The traffic noise from I-95 was quite loud. Although by appearances the park is very nice, we wouldn't stay there again because of the goose poop, mosquitoes, and interstate noise. We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: May, 2014 - $1.00

Rate is based on TT membership. The park is in need of mowing and management but the location to Atlantic City is great. The lack of maintenance wouldn't keep me from staying here being it was just a place to park while we explored the area. Atlantic City is just over a half hour away. We would stay here again. We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2013 - $10.00

Nothing fancy, but this was a nice, quiet campground and a good value for the money (the daily rate is based on our RPI membership). The interior roads were gravel and smooth, with trees clipped back enough to avoid scratching large rigs. Sites were close together, consisted of gravel and varied in levelness - it took some effort to get level in site #218. However, that site probably had the best lake view of any in the park. The 30-amp power and water were adequate. Cable, sewer and tables were provided at the sites, there was a charge for the wireless internet. Our amplified Verizon internet signal and cell phones were strong. Bathrooms and showers were nice and clean, and the showers at the office building had benches and shelves - I much preferred them. The laundry room consisted of 3 washers, 3 dryers and a small folding table. Although closed for the season, there was a nice pool and playground for the kids. Access to grocery stores and other services was about 15 minutes away, Atlantic City was just a short drive as well. We camped at Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Thousand Trails / Chestnut Lake ?