8.8 Excellent

• Full Hookup Full Hookup no
  • Electric (50 AMP) Electric (50 AMP) no
  • Sewer Sewer no
  • Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities no

Ask fellow campers about "Rock Hound State Park" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: November, 2018 - $14.00

The road is paved right into the park up to the campground loops. Park at the visitor center and either walk the 1/2 mile to the campground and disconnect toad and drive in to survey the terrain and site availability. I had no trouble with a big class C and toad. If the area is experiencing heavy rain, I would stay in Deming until you are sure no flooding. This is an awesome place! It's the perfect place to do nothing. We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: November, 2018 - $4.00

Great out of the way park with some outstanding desert mountain views. There are no sewer sites that I saw (except for the camp hosts). There is only 30 amp electric. Verizon service was great. Some sites were un-level. There are a couple of short walks around the campground and part of it has a desert botanical garden. The camp hosts were GREAT and very visible/attentive to the campground. We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Motorhome.

Check out the St. Clair Winery down the road; we love their wines.

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $14.00

We've stayed here four times now. It can be difficult to find an open site without a reservation. Backing in to some of the sites can be tricky with a big rig due to the large rocks along the roadside, but it's doable. It's always been quiet here, even when full, and you can't beat the views. Like most NM state parks, 30 amps is the maximum available power. We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Travel Trailer.

We always visit the St. Clair Winery tasting room on the outskirts of town near the park.

Date of Stay: April, 2018 - $14.00

Beautiful, well maintained, landscaped and clean state park. Best camping site ever! The sites are huge, have water and electricity. They are spaced well apart from each other and feel very private. They are literally landscaped with rock hedges, cactus and small mesquite trees. The picnic tables all have Ramada's for shade. Outstanding! A little bit of a treck along somewhat narrow black top roads but so well worth it. We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Rock Hound State Park

Date of Stay: March, 2018 - $18.00

What an awesome place! I recommend making a reservation online. Sites are spacious with a covered patio, picnic table, trashcan and firepit. Great views all around. Excellent for night sky! Rocks everywhere - and you can take a few for souvenirs. Highly recommended. We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: March, 2018 - $15.00

Another hidden jem for NM. Again a ways from any where BUT the views are to die for. We sat out for a camp fire and had a beautiful "moon rise". However....backing into some of these sites is not easy. We basically backed up a steep grade, in 4-wheel drive, into a site that had a wall on one side and an open ditch on the other. Plus the site was not level. But having said that we'd come back for the view alone--AWESOME. We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: February, 2018 - $14.00

Great staff, hiking, birding & rockhounding, clean facilities & visitor center displays! Left early, though, due to occupants of campsites nearby operating loud power tools all afternoon working on RV bodywork projects! Really? I prefer to listen to birdsong! We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Main loop

Great sunsets! Hike the Thunder Egg & also Jasper trails. Rockhounding is allowed off the trails! Found a handful!!!

Date of Stay: January, 2018 - $14.00

Loved the campground and the nearby trails. Super Quiet, good spacing between sites. Campground hosts extremely friendly and helpful. If you like birding this is great area to see many types. They even had astronomy night one evening while we there. Will return. We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: December, 2017 - $14.00

Beautiful spot with great views! It gets pretty busy too; we got one of the last two walk-in sites. Nice new bathroom building with HEAT! I think the showers didn't drain well because I walked into a puddle entering the barhroom in the morning. Amazing sunset! We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Asphalt, Gravel

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $4.00

This is our second time to stay at this state park and I hope to return for a longer stay at some future date. It is one of my favorites. Our site was reserved for one night and was almost perfect-mostly level and right across from the restrooms. Restrooms seemed clean and certainly smelled clean each time that I entered the door. Although I did not use the showers, I did peek into one of them for future reference-push button type with small water saver shower head. We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $14.00

4 stars for the beauty, campsite size and cost. The showers were the best I've seen in a state park. Great shower water pressure, looked brand new. The bathrooms were also super clean in general. There are no signs here and the camphost meets you to guide you in. I'm sure some people love this. I didn't like this. A, I don't trust strangers to navigate me and B we have a system in place that works for us. I just want to be left alone for us to back ourselves in and get set up. But that was minor in the grand scheme of things. There are a couple short but steep hikes up the mountain which give you great views. I had fun flying my drone here. I just love New Mexico state parks in general. The ones I've been too are immaculate, beautiful and cheap. Site accessibility (Camphost guided me in. No signs but easy to navigate once you knew where you were going) - 3 Campground location (Close to Deming, not much els) - 3 Nearby amenities (Super Walmart, good grocery store) - 4 Site Privacy (Large sites) - 4 Campground amenities (Very clean bathrooms/showers. Trash cans at each site) - 4 Dog friendly (A couple of short trails to walk the doggies) - 3 Activities (Not much to do here other than relax and hike among the rocks) - 3 Cost ($14/night for 30 amp W/E) - 4 Staff friendliness (Hosts seemed annoyed that I didn't want them to back me in but were friendly afterwards) - 3 Connectivity (Good signal w/out a booster for both ATT and Verizon. Decent OTA with some major networks) - 5 Total rating = 3.6. We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $10.00

This beautiful NM State Park is but a short distance off of Interstate # 10 and the city of Deming, NM. It's tucked up a mountain side facing south west for beautiful sunsets. The washrooms are among the best we've seen for state parks and the campground hosts are superbly welcoming and helpful. In fact, we've observed them escorting everyone to their site during our 5 day visit. As we didn't reserve, we feel plenty lucky to have obtained a non-serviced site and were more than content at $ 10.00 / night and didn't feel we needed to "upgrade" to a serviced site at $ 14.00 / night. In fact, our pull-thru site had to be the largest we've ever camped in at any paid campground. The area hiking is easy enough and affords wonderful views of the Florida Mountains to the east, south, and west. We wouldn't hesitate coming back here again. We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Concrete, Gravel

Within two miles is the Springs Canyon State Park (Day Use Only) which provides a 0.9 mile steep hike up the north side of a mountain where the views are spectacular.

3 campers found this review helpful. Do you? Yes No Undo

Date of Stay: December, 2016 - $14.00

The only reason we gave it 9 out of 10, was just because they don't have sewer hookups at the site (it's a dump station, which is typical for a state park). But still a must stop...As a last minute decision while driving through New Mexico, we decided to camp at Rockhound State Park. We are so glad we did! The only thing we regret about our stay was that we couldn't stay longer. This is a beautiful state park tucked up against a small mountain range that overlooks the city of Deming and has some spectacular views, scenery and well maintained sites. The hosts were very friendly and greeted us after the office had closed. They were full, but let us stay in their group space which was huge! It was paved with electric and water and had covered tables and 360 degree views. We were surrounded by ocotillos, various forms of cacti and lots of red rocks. The snow capped mountains in the distance made it picture perfect. The bathrooms were very clean (smelled like Pine Sol), the dump station was easy to get to and we can't wait to come back through again and spend some time here. We posted a lot of pictures in our travel Facebook if you want to check them out for future visits or to see it ahead of time: Totally Trailer....Happy travels! We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Group Site
Concrete, Asphalt, Gravel

We have heard you can find rocks and gems very close to the park. We didn't get a chance to check it out but sure is exciting. By the way, we were going to stay overnight at the Deming, NM Walmart because they allow overnight. It was PACKED!! The people at the campground said it is always like that. SO, if you are thinking of dry camping there, this is a good alternative to being packed in and fighting for a spot at the Walmart. Other spaces at Rockhound without water and electric were $10

2 campers found this review helpful. Do you? Yes No Undo

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $14.00

This is a very nice state park with HUGE sites. It is fairly small and popular so reservations are highly recommended. The layout is weird. There are sites stuck all over the place and it's a bit confusing to find your way around, but it's very clean and the view of the surroundings is great. Very nice after dark to look across the valley and see the lights of town sparkling. It was very quiet and restful. The utilities were convenient and worked well. The sites are pea gravel and have a covered picnic bench on a cement patio. I have to say that the rock hounding around the campground was very underwhelming, but I expected that since it's obviously going to be very picked over. There is some spectacular rockhounding in the area though. The restroom is clean, bright, and spacious. My only complaint is that the shower operates on a push button system. Push the button to turn it on and you get what you get for about 3-4 minutes. No way to adjust the temperature and I would've liked it hotter. The pressure was good though, and you can push the button as often as you need to. No wi-fi, but Verizon signal was strong enough to use data with no problem. I hate making reservations because of the rip-off reservation fee, but I would do it again here because it is hard to get into and I would definitely want to stay here again if in the area and it's still a pretty good bargain for E & W for $14 + $4/day res fee. We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Truck Camper.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $14.00

Beautiful views. Restrooms/showers cleaned at least twice over 24 hour period. My type of campground - I pay, I park, I get left alone!

Trails were nice. We camped at Rock Hound State Park in a Motorhome.

Concrete, Gravel

The nearby associated park, Spring Canyon, is supposed to be beautiful but when we saw the sign for a 17% upward grade for the road into the canyon, we turned the RV around.

Featured Campgrounds Near Rock Hound State Park

Are you affiliated with Rock Hound State Park ?