2 Parks near Socorro, New Mexico
Apr 2016 - $27.00
I would have given it five stars, but you don't get much for your money here. I consider this to be a low four star park at six or seven star rates.
- One (1) bathroom with shower.
- No amenities other than maybe a picnic table near your site. No laundry, pet run, etc.
- RVs are parked two right next to each other as that is how the water and electric is placed. Some spaces are set up so that the room to pull in or out might be reduced due to someone parked lengthwise in front of you.
- There are quite a few folks here that seem to be long-term renters, and some of them make a little noise later at night from time to time, and traffic levels in the park are higher and noisier than many other places I've stayed.
- Most sites are water and electric only. If you are paying to stay at any site, the dump is free, but not convenient especially for the rates charged.
- The office is not staffed every day. I was going to stay another day, but no one was in the office to accept my payment.
- A lot of visitors don't clean up their dog's excrement. Since I diligently clean up after my dog, I cannot stand when others are too lazy or ignorant to do so. One person here just lets his two chihuahuas out the door and doesn't supervise them.
Upside (there has to be at least one!)
- There were plenty of spaces to choose from when I arrived, and there is still plenty of space available now (check the date I am writing this review)
- Electricity is not metered. Hello A/C and electric heat! Saves my propane for the next leg of my journey.
- Close to the freeway, but very little freeway noise. It has a slightly busy road next to it, but the noise from it isn't bad IMO.
- Some sites have trees that are nice to sit under on the provided picnic tables. The picnic tables can be moved by two healthy people so that if you don't have one but a vacant site nearby does, just go grab it.
- Groceries, fuel, propane, 24/7 restaurant, WalMart, etc., right down the street. - 1bigmess
Mar 2016 - $28.00
No water hook up available. Only elec. Price is high for bare minimum. Okay if you need a place to sleep. Dusty. Not much else going for it. - PaleoTex
Jan 2016 - $30.00
Very small pull through back to back sites. Gravel and level. My electric didn't work but plugged into next site and it was OK. Overpriced for what you get but it was winter and cold so we needed hookups. Would stay again if in the area. - Jweb98
Mar 2016 - $18.00
This a very basic county park with 16 sites but it has full hookups (good 30 amp). Other than no WiFi or cable, it was similar to private parks except it charges about 1/2 as much. All are pull through sites, gravel and trees at most sites. No staff at site, but county manager was very accessible and accepted calls off-hours. He was also over every morning to clean bathrooms, etc. Nice playground for kids and fish in little lake. Trouble finding on our GPS, but website directions, include "turn at bed in road" worked perfectly! Train is close and does blow whistle, one night we heard about 4 times, the other only once. - BandD
Oct 2008 - $18.00
County park maintains eight power/water/sewer sites, not all in good repair. Our water spigot sprayed continuously from the packing nut (tried tightening it and failed). Half the spots have wonderful shade trees. Two one-holer restrooms, no showers or other facilities. Soap and paper towels both empty, neither toilet bowl has been cleaned since their ADA retrofit. Large kiddie playground. Concrete table at each site. I would have rated this park as quiet and relaxing if it weren't for the train horns that blow loud and long every 60-90 minutes along the tracks one lot over (happily, not between 11 PM and 7 AM). Hungry mosquitoes. TV reception poor, channels are few (no cable, of course). Park has a "campground host" on site, but he doesn't do maintenance. The three commercial "parks" in town are more like parking lots, adjacent to busy highways. And still this is our choice for the best of a bad selection in Socorro. - Bowman