Whites City, New Mexico

• Walking Trail(s) Walking Trail(s) no
  • Recreation Room Recreation Room no

Navadabob

Date of Stay: October, 2015 - $36.00

The only thing going for this place is its proximity to the Caverns and full hookups. The laundry room had trash running over and bugs everywhere. At least the equipment worked. The men's bathroom door didn't lock, and the 'showers' were a big cement room with a shower head in one corner, a sink in in another, and a toilet in another. No shower curtain, and the men's door didn't lock. The place is poorly lit; it would be easy to turn your ankle looking for the bathroom door. It looks like mostly full-time rigs are parked here for folks working in the oil fields. But, again, it's so close to the Caverns, making it at least convenient to stay here. I'd return here for the Caverns, but it's not a destination place. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Motorhome.

Visit the Carlsbad Caverns. It's a once in a lifetime experience.

Melodycthomas

Date of Stay: October, 2015 - $36.00

I'm not sure if this campground needed some TLC or if the owner just wanted to give visitors that rustic camping experience. All hookups worked fine. There was a problem with the WiFi but they're working on fixing it. The site was easy to get into. The grass was cut and the place was clean. The campground itself was very convenient to the caverns, especially for the bat flight at night. The food in the Cactus Cafe was good and the large office/gift shop had lots to offer. In fact, the campground and facilities were the whole town of White's City (guess who discovered the caverns). Glad we stayed here. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Watch the bat flight at twilight from the amphitheater first then the picnic area the next night. The tour of the King's Palace was awesome as well as the general visitor area.

LeeBob

Date of Stay: October, 2015 - $36.00

The only reason to stay at this CG is because it's close to Carlsbad Caverns NP, especially if you're staying for the Bat Flight Program. Cashier was very nice. Gas and fully-stocked store on adjacent property. FHU sites are gravel and very close. Both bathrooms were disgusting. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Motorhome.

Especially enjoyed the Bat Flight Program at Carlsbad Caverns NP. Also enjoyed the Natural Entrance and Big Room self-guided tours.

DVCard85

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $36.00

We stayed here two nights while visiting the Cavern. You have to check in at the Gift shop or after 8pm at the hotel. There are signs telling you where to check in but they are small and hard to see. There are two areas to the park, a 30amp and 50amp sections. The 30amp is very tight and I was warned that with slide outs I might not fit. I asked if I could have a spot in the 50amp and was given one. They will loan you a 50amp dog bone with a $30 cash deposit. All sites except the end sites share a common area, two picnic tables under one cover between the spaces. This park is full of mostly full timers. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

The water park was fun and cost $5 if you are staying at the RV park. It is also is only 7 miles from the entrance to the cavern.

Danni

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $36.00

Checks-ins are at the gift shop if it is open, otherwise, the hotel. If you have a big rig, you can park across the street while registering and it's easy to get in and out. In previous reviews, others said they tell you to pick a spot and then let them know. It's not that way any longer. You register in the shop and they assign a site. The gentleman was very helpful telling me where to unhook (although we had done that already in the parking lot) and how to locate the site. The place is NOT good looking though. Part of this is just the desert terrain but basically, it's a giant gravel parking lot with a few amenities. We were in the 50 amp section, which is a little better and toward the back. Sites are close together but we could get our 40 ft in as there is enough turning space. The picnic table is under a roofed shelter and I had to watch to be sure our 1 slide didn't hit it. But.... the location is great for Carlsbad Caverns and that's really all we needed. We stayed 2 nights and it was fine. Full hookups and good internet was all I needed. We did need to use our portable satellite dish due to 1 badly placed tree. It's one of those make do parks. Not the best but once you're in your rig, you don't care that much because the location is good. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Motorhome.

CWinLV

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $40.00

The ONLY thing this place has going for it is it's proximity to Carlsbad Caverns. Sites were unlevel dirt slabs with hookups; no picnic tables, firepits, or BBQs. Mostly long term residents and oil field workers with old, broken down RVs. I worried about leaving our rig unattended when we went to visit the caverns! We will definitely never stay there again! We camped at White's City RV Park in a Motorhome.

Sara C.

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $36.00

They don't take reservations for this park, it's first-come first-serve. However, we arrived late after 6pm Saturday on Memorial Day weekend (Carlsbad Caverns recorded a new record of 4,000 visitors on Sunday, so might be safe to say this is the busiest weekend of the year) and there were still a couple sites left. We were packed tight, even the picnic shelter is shared between 2 campers in a staggered pull-thru formation. At least you get FHU. The place is a mess - you can tell a few of the sites are long-term residents from the junk piled around their campers. There is no monthly rate here, only weekly ($190). The bathroom is a single-person room where you bolt the door and get a sink, toilet, and open shower area. I personally didn't mind that - it was the best privacy I could get compared to many places. Used their laundry facility, 3 of the 4 washers worked (avoid the one on the far right, agitator is too weak) and 2 of the 3 dryers worked. Wash is $1.50 (2nd one is only $1.00 for some reason) and drying is $1.00. We work online so our Verizon LTE signal is most important - extremely strong 4G LTE! Mifi signal picked up at 90% strength. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

If you are in Carlsbad to see the Caverns, this is the only reason you would choose to stay here. It's literally next to the front gate of the park entrance, and driving to the caverns is a quick 10 min drive. We were able to run back to our RV for short breaks to grab a bite to eat or rest up, then return to the caves for a tour or the sunset bat flight show (must see!). If I had to do it again, I still might choose this park, except not during a holiday weekend.

dalenoel

Date of Stay: April, 2015 - $36.00

We stayed since all others were full and arrived late, after 5pm. The park looks a mess as does the buildings associated with it but was good for a short stay visiting the caverns. This is not a destination park. Facilities worked but sites were very close. We were assigned one site but used another as they do not track usage very well.

They do not take credit cards for camping but do in the gift shop for other purchases. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Carlsbad caverns were very close and that is the best feature of the park.

Lastrick

Date of Stay: September, 2014 - $36.00

This is not a resort RV by any stretch of the imagination but....it's SO close to the entrance to Carlsbad Caverns, we find it worth it. We've stayed here three times with our 40' motorhome and like the quirkiness of the place. Yes, it crowded. Yes, it's kinda rural. Yes, the bathrooms suck (we're self contained). BUT, the views at night and in the morning are wonderful....vistas everywhere. The staff is a bit odd but helpful.

A bit of advice: when you arrive, go find your spot, THEN go in and register. Secondly, drive into the entrance of the "park", stop and walk to find your spot. Try for an end spot...more room. We're going to come here again this spring. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Motorhome.

Carlsbad Caverns entrance is very close. Great vistas.

Casual Campers 2

Date of Stay: August, 2014 - $37.00

Wanted a site close to Carlsbad Caverns so chose this park. It is unkept and a general messy feel. If you arrive before the gift shop closes that is where you register. The sign in the park says to pick whatever spot you want and then go up to the registration. We did not see that and registered first. Although there was many sites open they slid us right in the middle of others. It was tight. To end on a good note - they honor Good Sam discounts even though they are not a Good Sam park and their cable and Wi-fi are both very good! We camped at White's City RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Tried the restaurant across the road from the Gift Shop. Don't remember the name but it was a Mexican restaurant. Don't bother. We ordered their "special" 2 chimichangas and fries and also the taco plater. The chimichangas were cold on the inside so obviously where taken out of refrigerator or freezer and plopped in hot oil so the outside was warm. As for the tacos the meat was old and burnt. They only had 3 other customers while we were there during the supper hour.

JeffK

Date of Stay: June, 2014 - $36.00

We arrived without a reservation after watching the bat flight at Carlsbad Cavern. That was our first mistake. You have to go to the Rodeway Inn to check in! Stood in line behind half a dozen people checking in to the motel. Warning signs should have been that the hotel had lost all three reservations of the couples in front of me. Finally served by a very nice, very senior gentlemen who completed my reservation. After nearly an hour wait, he shows me a very poor aerial photo of the campsite, no campground map, and tells me to take #1 or #2! I unhook my toad, drive into the park, and then spent 30 minutes walking up and down with a flashlight trying to find these sites. Then we are joined by the next customer in line, doing the same thing. I sent my wife back in the toad to the motel for clearer instructions, to be told "Pick any empty site!" Myself and the other lost camper spent another 30 minutes walking and driving around in the dark before we found at the end of an obscure hidden road more sites. In desperation we walked these remote sites with a flashlight before we found numbers #1 and #2 written in 1" inch letters on an electrical box!!! Finally 2 hours after registering I managed to pull into site #1. I am wedged between two permanent campers. I am not able to open my slides fully, as others have mentioned. The sites face each other. When I open my door I am three feet away from my neighbours awning. We share a center table, his grill is three feet from my slide! This is the worst campsite I have ever stayed in. The most badly organized, poorly designed and most poorly run. Under no circumstances consider staying here. It is far too stressful, and at $40, it is ridiculously overpriced. If it was free I wouldn't stay here again, if I could give it a minus score I would. Horrible, horrible, horrible! We camped at White's City RV Park in a Motorhome.

ob's place

Date of Stay: April, 2014 - $36.00

Stayed here passing through the Carlsbad, NM area. Okay for one night. Quiet but real windy when we stayed. We would probably return if ever in the area again. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Motorhome.

Desert Beacon

Date of Stay: April, 2014 - $36.00

We had an early morning ranger-led tour at Carlsbad Caverns, so we needed a site nearby. This one worked for us. No problem with registration; the man at the gift shop was helpful with a suggestion for a good hiking area. The site was narrow with a shared table and shade structure. The combination toilet/shower room, which we did not use, was austere and not inviting. If our unit was not self-contained, I would have to lower the overall rating. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

rvreviews

Date of Stay: April, 2014 - $36.00

As stated by others, most sites are too narrow for slideouts on both sides. We were lucky to get an end site which was fine. No reservations, so take your chances with a big rig. Closest place to Carlsbad Caverns which is only 7 miles up the road. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Motorhome.

The Rig

Date of Stay: February, 2014 - $36.00

Registration is in the gift shop and when I entered the gentleman behind the counter did not acknowledge me so I finally asked if this was where I was to register. He said "Register for what". I responded "Camping". He asked what I was camping in and I said a 5th wheel. He then said "That is NOT camping! That is RV'ing and next time DO NOT say camping when you are not camping." I was astonished by his rudeness and should have walked right out! He was downright mean. Beyond that, the park was dirty. The ladies restroom/shower area was filthy and looked like it had not been cleaned in weeks. No paper towels, hair & dirt everywhere. Overflowing trashcans. I would never stay here again even if it is the closest RV park to Carlsbad Caverns. Rate reflects a AAA discount. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Are you affiliated with White's City RV Park?