Whites City, New Mexico

• Walking Trail(s) Walking Trail(s) no
  • Recreation Room Recreation Room no

Sara C.

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $36.00

They don't take reservations for this park, it's first-come first-serve. However, we arrived late after 6pm Saturday on Memorial Day weekend (Carlsbad Caverns recorded a new record of 4,000 visitors on Sunday, so might be safe to say this is the busiest weekend of the year) and there were still a couple sites left. We were packed tight, even the picnic shelter is shared between 2 campers in a staggered pull-thru formation. At least you get FHU. The place is a mess - you can tell a few of the sites are long-term residents from the junk piled around their campers. There is no monthly rate here, only weekly ($190). The bathroom is a single-person room where you bolt the door and get a sink, toilet, and open shower area. I personally didn't mind that - it was the best privacy I could get compared to many places. Used their laundry facility, 3 of the 4 washers worked (avoid the one on the far right, agitator is too weak) and 2 of the 3 dryers worked. Wash is $1.50 (2nd one is only $1.00 for some reason) and drying is $1.00. We work online so our Verizon LTE signal is most important - extremely strong 4G LTE! Mifi signal picked up at 90% strength. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

If you are in Carlsbad to see the Caverns, this is the only reason you would choose to stay here. It's literally next to the front gate of the park entrance, and driving to the caverns is a quick 10 min drive. We were able to run back to our RV for short breaks to grab a bite to eat or rest up, then return to the caves for a tour or the sunset bat flight show (must see!). If I had to do it again, I still might choose this park, except not during a holiday weekend.

dalenoel

Date of Stay: April, 2015 - $36.00

We stayed since all others were full and arrived late, after 5pm. The park looks a mess as does the buildings associated with it but was good for a short stay visiting the caverns. This is not a destination park. Facilities worked but sites were very close. We were assigned one site but used another as they do not track usage very well.

They do not take credit cards for camping but do in the gift shop for other purchases. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Carlsbad caverns were very close and that is the best feature of the park.

Lastrick

Date of Stay: September, 2014 - $36.00

This is not a resort RV by any stretch of the imagination but....it's SO close to the entrance to Carlsbad Caverns, we find it worth it. We've stayed here three times with our 40' motorhome and like the quirkiness of the place. Yes, it crowded. Yes, it's kinda rural. Yes, the bathrooms suck (we're self contained). BUT, the views at night and in the morning are wonderful....vistas everywhere. The staff is a bit odd but helpful.

A bit of advice: when you arrive, go find your spot, THEN go in and register. Secondly, drive into the entrance of the "park", stop and walk to find your spot. Try for an end spot...more room. We're going to come here again this spring. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Motorhome.

Carlsbad Caverns entrance is very close. Great vistas.

Casual Campers 2

Date of Stay: August, 2014 - $37.00

Wanted a site close to Carlsbad Caverns so chose this park. It is unkept and a general messy feel. If you arrive before the gift shop closes that is where you register. The sign in the park says to pick whatever spot you want and then go up to the registration. We did not see that and registered first. Although there was many sites open they slid us right in the middle of others. It was tight. To end on a good note - they honor Good Sam discounts even though they are not a Good Sam park and their cable and Wi-fi are both very good! We camped at White's City RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Tried the restaurant across the road from the Gift Shop. Don't remember the name but it was a Mexican restaurant. Don't bother. We ordered their "special" 2 chimichangas and fries and also the taco plater. The chimichangas were cold on the inside so obviously where taken out of refrigerator or freezer and plopped in hot oil so the outside was warm. As for the tacos the meat was old and burnt. They only had 3 other customers while we were there during the supper hour.

JeffK

Date of Stay: June, 2014 - $36.00

We arrived without a reservation after watching the bat flight at Carlsbad Cavern. That was our first mistake. You have to go to the Rodeway Inn to check in! Stood in line behind half a dozen people checking in to the motel. Warning signs should have been that the hotel had lost all three reservations of the couples in front of me. Finally served by a very nice, very senior gentlemen who completed my reservation. After nearly an hour wait, he shows me a very poor aerial photo of the campsite, no campground map, and tells me to take #1 or #2! I unhook my toad, drive into the park, and then spent 30 minutes walking up and down with a flashlight trying to find these sites. Then we are joined by the next customer in line, doing the same thing. I sent my wife back in the toad to the motel for clearer instructions, to be told "Pick any empty site!" Myself and the other lost camper spent another 30 minutes walking and driving around in the dark before we found at the end of an obscure hidden road more sites. In desperation we walked these remote sites with a flashlight before we found numbers #1 and #2 written in 1" inch letters on an electrical box!!! Finally 2 hours after registering I managed to pull into site #1. I am wedged between two permanent campers. I am not able to open my slides fully, as others have mentioned. The sites face each other. When I open my door I am three feet away from my neighbours awning. We share a center table, his grill is three feet from my slide! This is the worst campsite I have ever stayed in. The most badly organized, poorly designed and most poorly run. Under no circumstances consider staying here. It is far too stressful, and at $40, it is ridiculously overpriced. If it was free I wouldn't stay here again, if I could give it a minus score I would. Horrible, horrible, horrible! We camped at White's City RV Park in a Motorhome.

rvreviews

Date of Stay: April, 2014 - $36.00

As stated by others, most sites are too narrow for slideouts on both sides. We were lucky to get an end site which was fine. No reservations, so take your chances with a big rig. Closest place to Carlsbad Caverns which is only 7 miles up the road. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Motorhome.

ob's place

Date of Stay: April, 2014 - $36.00

Stayed here passing through the Carlsbad, NM area. Okay for one night. Quiet but real windy when we stayed. We would probably return if ever in the area again. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Motorhome.

Desert Beacon

Date of Stay: April, 2014 - $36.00

We had an early morning ranger-led tour at Carlsbad Caverns, so we needed a site nearby. This one worked for us. No problem with registration; the man at the gift shop was helpful with a suggestion for a good hiking area. The site was narrow with a shared table and shade structure. The combination toilet/shower room, which we did not use, was austere and not inviting. If our unit was not self-contained, I would have to lower the overall rating. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

The Rig

Date of Stay: February, 2014 - $36.00

Registration is in the gift shop and when I entered the gentleman behind the counter did not acknowledge me so I finally asked if this was where I was to register. He said "Register for what". I responded "Camping". He asked what I was camping in and I said a 5th wheel. He then said "That is NOT camping! That is RV'ing and next time DO NOT say camping when you are not camping." I was astonished by his rudeness and should have walked right out! He was downright mean. Beyond that, the park was dirty. The ladies restroom/shower area was filthy and looked like it had not been cleaned in weeks. No paper towels, hair & dirt everywhere. Overflowing trashcans. I would never stay here again even if it is the closest RV park to Carlsbad Caverns. Rate reflects a AAA discount. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

cherrytree

Date of Stay: January, 2014 - $36.00

Pull-through sites are easy to get into although narrow. Full hook ups in decent condition, plus cable and good Wi-Fi. Register in the gift shop below, and if they are closed, register at Rodeway Inn. This park doesn't even have a website. Plenty of sites available right now. Literally footsteps away from Carlsbad Caverns entrance, then a 5 mile drive to the visitors center. You and your neighbor share a covered patio, picnic table, and a charcoal grill. The town of Carlsbad is 20 miles away, so I recommend staying here in Whites City if you are visiting the park. Also the sites on the upper loop have a nice view of Guadalupe mountains. This is an older park, and there many older long term units here, so not the most aesthetically pleasing park. There is nothing to do here at night. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Motorhome.

Monaire Corporati

Date of Stay: January, 2014 - $36.00

We were directed by signs to book in at the store that is the gift shop and Visitors Centre. The gentleman was rude and sullen. Perhaps he wasn't feeling well as he sniffed loudly and disgustingly throughout checking us in. The campground is gravel, sites are cramped and litter is strewn about. The one women's shower/toilet combination room was filthy and the only camp rubbish bin was overflowing. It gets a one for a clean laundry. We would not stay here again and would drive miles out of our way to avoid doing so. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

User3335

Date of Stay: December, 2013 - $40.00

With just a few fixes, this could be a great park. Bathroom showers have no benches or hooks to hang clothes on. The dressing area is about 2 feet by 2 feet shared with the other shower! Freezing cold floors, broken light over bathroom stalls. Yes, other campers left a mess, which is frustrating, like wads of hair in drain, razors on shower floor, not to mention what was in the actual restroom stall. But it does need to be gone through at least twice a day. Otherwise, friendly helpful check in, great location for caverns. Ticket buys you three days to visit so you can return at your leisure. No problem with electrical as mentioned by other camper. Make sure the power is off at post before plugging in your RV, this is true for all parks. Easy pull through gravel sites. Fix the bathrooms and this would be a winner. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

MrSunshine

Date of Stay: November, 2013 - $34.00

I was a bit nervous camping here based on some previous reviews but we wanted to be close to Carlsbad Caverns NP. We were pleasantly surprised overall. The sites were plenty roomy, most sites are pull through, the road is very wide, the utilities were good and the location, right at the entrance to the park, was ideal. There was nothing wrong with this park and I felt the rate (reflecting Good Sam) was a fair value. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Kermitt

Date of Stay: October, 2013 - $34.00

Very close to Carlsbad caverns, otherwise not much to do there. Sites are very close to each others, couldn't open my slideout all the way. But for a night, it's good enough. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

thetravelkids

Date of Stay: September, 2013 - $36.00

Price is for 30-amp water/electric/sewer pull-through site, fairly level. Wi-Fi and cable TV worked well. Saw large Motor Home with numerous slides in camp, you just need to be careful getting into your site. This is not a destination campground, but a good choice if you are planning on visiting Carlsbad Cavern. We camped at White's City RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with White's City RV Park?