Old Forge Camping Resort

Old Forge, New York

• yes-lake Waterfront

chris_in_pa

We really enjoyed our 2 nights here. In addition to RV and tent sites, there are cabins and cottages. We stayed in a nice full hookup site in the 700 section. These sites were shaded and nicely spaced. The ful hookup sites on the other side of the park were pretty tight other than the waterfront sites. There is a shuttle bus that runs to the water park next door, but it was an easy walk as well. The restrooms were clean and well-maintained even though the park was packed. It was also an easy walk into town. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Truck Camper.

eb145

We stopped here at the last minute when we were tired of driving. The site was sandy and not quite level. We had a full hookup site that backed up to a ravine with a stream. While making dinner a mama bear and her 3 cubs visited the site next door to us - the people at that site were not there at the time. The office was good about warning about bears. It was a busy campground (Saturday night in July) with lots of kids and families walking around. While the site has 30 amp electric, you are not allowed to use an air conditioner as their wiring can't handle it. There were some permanent RV sites or "snowmobile camps" as many called themselves. There is a water park and small amusement park right next door that runs shuttle buses back and forth all day. Not a bad place to visit for one night. Many people clearly like staying there for longer time periods. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Nikki1479

We had a waterfront site, which was a little tight getting in to with our 28' RV. The sites are nicely maintained after each camper leaves. We were able to fish directly from our site and able to launch a kayak. The restrooms are clean. Many activities are offered throughout the weekend. Laundry facilities are available for use, and very clean. The office has paddle boats and canoes for rent. We visit this campground yearly and have never had a bad experience with the campground or staff. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Travel Trailer.

DeannaS

This was an unexpected stay while we were in Old Forge. I called to see if we could get a last minute, 3 night stay and was helped by a gentleman at the reservation desk. He was very helpful and got us a site. We were hoping for a full hookup site, but they only had water/electric sites available for our size travel trailer. Not too much of an issue since we really were only sleeping here and they offered clean-out services. The sites that we saw were of varying sizes, and somewhat close together, which is one of the reasons I didn't rate it higher. The other reason is that air conditioners are not allowed to be run unless you have your own generator. It was quite hot and humid in the Adirondacks the week we visited. Quiet hours were indeed, quiet. The sites themselves were very well kept and raked out after each visitor left. There was a lake for swimming, canoeing and fishing and an affiliation with the water park nearby. The store was large and well stocked and all employees that we encountered were very helpful and friendly. I thought it was a wonderful family camp ground. I would recommend staying here. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Travel Trailer.

kjpayne

The overall ambiance of this park is truly Adirondack authentic. Every site is wooded, including those suited for larger RVs such as our 38' Class A. The sites were well maintained and raked prior to our arrival but many were not level. Admittedly, keeping sites natural AND level is a challenge. I prefer natural. The 'fire ring' is actually a ring of stones. If you are using the fire to cook you will need a self-supporting grate. The restrooms were clean and the shower facilities offered private dressing area for each. We camped here in early season and the price reflects the off-peak discount. Our experience also does not reflect the true picture of what it might be like during very busy times when the resources are fully taxed. The weather was very cool for a June weekend but a/c is not allowed. Again, it was not busy so we had no electrical outages. I'm guessing that's not a huge problem for most nights in the Adirondacks. We saw no bears on our trip. The cabins are the truly amazing and they are building more! Each looks like an authentic cabin and is situated nicely even though there are many in the park. VERY rustic feel to this campground. We did not camp with children so those types of amenities are of little importance to us. Staff was friendly and helpful. Will definitely camp here again. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Motorhome.

KodiakCamper

There were a number of things I like about this campground including: 1) Location: was walking distance to waterpark. 2) Shaded sites: lots of trees in campground. 3) Facilities: were modern and clean. Staff was fairly helpful but not as friendly as some places I have been. Unfortunately, our overall experience was not great. Since camping here in late July, I have read a few reviews talking about the power going out. Most days we can get by in an RV with occasional power outages. However, the 3 days we were here were some of the hottest I ever remember: being well over 100 F and extremely humid. There were a number of brief power outages campground wide but we were having specific problems with our trailer when we tried to run the A/C. When we spoke to the front desk they told us we weren't allowed to run the A/C at all. They said there were signs posted all over. We were not told when we booked or when we checked in that A/C was not allowed nor were there any signs posted that we saw. Most nights camping we can get by without A/C. On these two nights it was like trying to sleep in a sauna. The other thing I did not love about this campground was the sand/dirt site. The kids were filthy within minutes and it was impossible to keep them, the trailer or our belongings clean. Not sure I would return to this campground until they get their electrical problems figured out. I would probably look for another campground nearby and drive into the waterpark (which has free parking). On the plus side, we didn't see a single bear! We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Ghmjr

They don't clean or even rake the sites before check in. Power kept going out. There wasn't one day, out of the 4 we stayed, that it was on all day. In fact it went out at least twice each day. No kind of rule enforcement: people burying garbage and dogs off leash. We stayed last year but we won't be back for a third. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Motorhome.

jaycoman80

Ok for short trip in area. We stayed 5 days which I felt was a little long for this park. Very tight. I have a 30 footer and was barely on site. Any further back I'd be in the lake. No sites that cater to big rigs. Average site is like 18x25. They had some big sites but now it is loaded with cabins. Watch out for bears!! No pool and they nickel and dime you for every activity. Staff just tolerates people. Just not friendly for some reason. My wife went to the counter to tell them a video game was open and kids were taking money. Lady looked at her like why are you are you wasting my time. When she realized she wasn't asking a question attitude changed real quick. Not all bad though. Good enough for short stay for water park. Kids run out of things to do quick. All shade. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Travel Trailer.

macfrodge

Large family type of campground, situated next to Enchanted Forest Water Safari. The sites were nicely shaded, many were waterfront, and many had water, sewer and electrical. The main lodge was very well stocked, and there seemed to be lots of staff. When I first checked in, there were 4 employees working at checking people in. It was a Thursday evening, so it probably wasn't as busy as a Friday evening. All the same, I was checked in efficiently and given my instructions to get to my site. During this check-in time, I inquired as to whether I could be put on a site as close as possible to a friend staying at one of the cottages. I found out soon enough that I was pretty much on the other side of the campground. Oh well, that's life I thought - a busy campground fills up quickly (note - I had made my reservation for a non-holiday weekend approx. 3 months earlier). We head over to our site - it was totally unacceptable. It was situated so that once we'd park our trailer on the site, we would be staring directly at the neighbor's front awning/living space. There was no fire pit, there were exposed electrical pipe conduit and re-bars sticking up out of the ground, hastily covered up with the picnic table. It was probably the worse site I've ever seen. So I get on the phone to call their reservation number to see if I can get another site quickly assigned to me over the phone. I was on hold for approx. 10 minutes. I stayed on the phone and made the walk back to the main lodge - when I walked into the lodge, all the check-in staff were gathered around having a nice little chat amongst themselves. And obviously ignoring customers on hold. I informed them of the site conditions, and I was promptly given the choice of 2 other sites - one of which was in walking distance to my friend's cottage. In the end, the situation resolved itself in an agreeable manner. But I had to wonder why they put me on a site that looked like it was previously one larger site that was chopped into 2 for extra revenue, and why did they not offer me the site closer to my friend when I initially asked? It obviously was available... All I can surmise is that the level of care and attention to detail isn't top-notch at Old Forge. We did get a bear visiting our site the last night - please keep all food in your trailer or vehicle. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Travel Trailer.

ADK Camper

A well run Resort. Have camped at this location for the last 7+years, in everything from a tent to a RV. Never have had a problem, they always go above and beyond to try and help you out. The are family owned by the same family who owns the water park and they know the meaning of family. This place is in the heart of the mountains so there is a lot of outdoor stuff to do. Oh, and there are bears here so if you like sitting next to a campfire at night make sure the food is locked in your car. The State Rangers will fine you BIG TIME if the bear gets into your food. There is a lot of other wildlife you are likely to see here too. Bottom line: a good family place to go and the towns are not all tourist in that area. You are sure to have a good time here. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Tent Trailer.

J.M.P. Strazik

Old Forge offers comfortable accommodations as well great hiking trails, with plenty to explore. Located near Enchanted Forest Water Safari and Calypso's Cove, it adds up to an active and fun filled week. This reviewers only criticism is, the bathrooms and showers could have been better kept. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Campground Cabin.

Steve Lisa and Luke

This is a nice campground with lots to do in the area as well as in the campground. We didn't partake in the camp activities, but they are here. The store is very good with lots of selection. The sites and grounds are nice and clean and the staff was helpful. The washrooms and showers could improve a bit but they weren't bad for a busy campground. It is a very large park but it didn't feel crowded as sites are spaced out nicely. Lots of shade as well. Being in the Adirondacks, they have a lot of bears. In saying that, we didn't see any nor did we have an issue and we were in a tent. Our site was nearby the office and main washrooms so this could have been why but I didn't even see a footprint. We did see a lot of deer in the park and around the area. We haven't been to Old Forge in a long time and were very happy with our stay. Other areas in the Adirondacks are nice (Lake Placid or Lake George) but the Old Forge area is a lot quieter and still lots to do. There aren't your tacky touristy T-shirt shops like they have in Lake George. All in all, we recommend this campground and are planning to go back next year. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Tent.

n5lfh

A private campground with a state park atmosphere in a hilly area. Staff was friendly and campground was kid oriented. Seemed to be a regular place for return visitors. Our site was a long, wide, gravel backin in a forested area. Good water pressure and voltage. We arrived at night and left early, so we didn't see alot of the park. it is on our return list. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Travel Trailer.

K_and_I

We stayed here for 3 nights. There were a few other campers here, but we pretty well had the place to ourselves. I listed our rate as $35 which is what it would have been if we had stayed in a water and electric hookup site, but we chose to stay in a lakefront site which was full service, so we actually paid $45 per night. Restrooms were very clean and nice as were the showers. The store was well stocked, but is only open until 5:00pm this time of year. Several times we had to drive into town in the evening for something we forgot. Also, their rule against electric heaters for a cg that's open year around isn't realistic. We would have no reservations about staying here again. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Tent Trailer.

travelingmomof2

We adored this campsite. It has the beauty of the area but the amenities you want, especially with children. Lake is private and large enough for real kayaking, canoeing, etc., which you can rent cheaply. Wildlife is everywhere to see (yes, even bears!). Keep your food in your car and dump your trash before bed as you are told and you'll be fine. Bathrooms are the cleanest and nicest I've ever seen. They are cleaned often by diligent staff, as are campsites. Beach is wonderful with deep sand. Love outdoor movie theater. Right next to water park but you wouldn't even know it. They do offer a free shuttle and combined ticket pricing. We adored this campsite and will definitely go back. They have many rentals including adorable sleeping cabins and full lakeside cabins also. We camped at Old Forge Camping Resort in a Tent.

Are you affiliated with Old Forge Camping Resort?