Allegheny State Park / Quaker Lake Area

Salamanca, New York

Recent Rate: $24 7/2009

biologyteacher2005

Allegheny State Park has always been one of my favorites. My parents brought me camping here as a child, and my children love to come here as well. The Quaker Lake area (Cain Hollow) would be my pick over the Red House area. The Red House area is beautiful, but the campground is much busier. There are often loud parties, and larger groups on that side. I do love to go there during the day, and it is only about a 15 minutes drive (if you go back out onto route 86). Cain Hollow is older, and not the favorite of many. The bathroom facilities are getting older, but a few have been rebuilt. One reviewer stated that the sites were out in the open. That is only true of loop A. There are some fully-shaded sites in the other loops. I actually do not prefer loop A for that reason. You feel like you are camping out in a field. Don't let that sway you from staying here. The other loops are shaded. There are many sites that are right next to a stream (creek). These are the favorites of my children. I pity the poor crayfish when we show up. My children just love them to death. This state park has an abundance of planned family activities. There is a sheet of activities each week. My children have done many of these activities and all of the naturalists are wonderful. I must say that Allegheny has spoiled me. When I go to other state parks I wonder why they do not have many activities. Aside from the planned activities, there are many other things to do. There are rocks to climb, two beautiful beaches, geocaching, many hiking trails, fishing, boat rentals at Red House beach, mini golf, and of course ice cream! We camped at Allegheny State Park / Quaker Lake Area in a Tent Trailer.

yankee_traveler

You can't get any better than camping at ASP. I've been going there every year for 45 years when I went there with my parents and took my own kids through the years. And if gas was too much money (as it was some years) to spend on the rig, cabin camping was always dirt cheap there. I have never seen such good rates on cabins as at ASP. We've gone there in tents, RVs and rented the cabins through the years. It is non-stop activity for the kids there. Outdoor movies under the stars. Nature hikes and walks with real naturalists. Star gazing with experts. There is lake swimming, fishing, boating, creek walking and loads of other sports. The kids love the creeks and collecting the craw fish. More than once, they have forgotten them overnight in their containers outside on the picnic table...only to find the raccoons made away with their specimens with only muddy paw prints left behind to convict them. Ah, the cycle of life. Our favorite is the Quaker side because it is less busy there. No pool. Long ago there was Fanchier pool, the coldest spring fed pool this side of the North pole, but its space now is filled in and a volleyball court put in its place. There is a lake for swimming on the Quaker side and on the Red House side. Everyone is so friendly, and many are like me and have made ASP not just an RV space in the vast sea of places to go, but after all these years, ASP is a part of my life. We camped at Allegheny State Park / Quaker Lake Area in a Travel Trailer.

fortycreek

We stayed in the Quaker Area - Cain Hollow sites 12 & 13 from August 2-4 2008 with friends. This is an excellent campground. The Cain Hollow area is beautiful with fantastic views of the surrounding Allegheny Mountains. Just a warning that most of the sites are in direct sun throughout the day. The outside sites bordering on the bush have shade in the AM. Normally we like having lots of shade but didn't mind these sites as there always seemed to be a good breeze blowing through the campground. The beach area was great and a hit with all the children in the group. It's only a 5 minute drive from the campground. Kids also loved the numerous playgrounds, bear cave hike, and Quaker General Store for ice cream. Our group went to the Red House Lodge for lunch one afternoon - not bad. The bathrooms/shower facilities are dated and need upgrading - that prevented me from scoring the park higher. Good State Park. We camped at Allegheny State Park / Quaker Lake Area in a Tent Trailer.

Donna P

Nice campground. Back to nature. Some of the sites are hard to get level. But its big and not crowded. First time that anyone had told us not to drink the water in a state park though. We camped at Allegheny State Park / Quaker Lake Area in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Allegheny State Park / Quaker Lake Area?