Rip Van Winkle Campground

Saugerties, New York 12477

• Phone Phone ?
  • Boating Boating yes
  • Outdoor Courts Outdoor Courts yes

Ask fellow campers about "Rip Van Winkle Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $65.00

I did not stay at this CG, I was staying nearby and wanted to check it out since I have a 40' MH. I drove my car thru the entire campground. It is a very, very nice campground. Sites are large, lots of things to do, this place is how camping was meant to be. Lots of trees, very rustic setting. Staff was very helpful. As has been mentioned, I would not attempt to stay here with anything bigger than 35' MH. I was uncertain I could handle the entrance with my tow connected, and I felt it would be impossible for my 40' as I drove thru in my car. I've stayed in over 200 cg's and driven 90,000 miles and have a pretty good concept of what can and can not be done in a big MH. If I were to downsize, I'd go there in a New York minute !! We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $65.00

Nice campgound. Heavily wooded and requires extra careful driving and parking with a big rig like our 35' 5th wheel. Unfortunately we stayed 2 nights during a rainy spell and the thing we noticed most was that with all the trees and shade it was hard to dry out! We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $45.00

This campground is what a real campground should be! Best one we've stayed at yet. All different types of spots, by creek, ledges (where we stayed - the best !!). So much room in between campers & totally wooded. Many activities for the kids, quiet time respected. Wish there weren't so many seasonal spots because a lot of those were so nice but no one was at most of them the week we were there (middle of July!). Only thing I would add is lighting to the roads as it's very hard to see after dark if you want to take a walk around. This place is huge. We will be back ! We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Travel Trailer.

26 - Ledges

Ziplining at Hunter Mountain is a must !

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $47.00

Lovely wooded surroundings. Big wide sites. WiFi was flawless. Inner roads are a bit rough but easily navigated. Could not use our satellite. Cable channels didn't include some of our favorites - Hallmark, Ion. Many seasonal campers but very few present. Weekend was busier with tents. Secured access. Laundry was $5 a load (wash and dry). We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Camping World at previous exit south. We visited Katterskill Falls, FDR, Vanderbilt Mansion, Val-Kill, Saugerties Lighthouse, and Walkway Across the Hudson in Poughkeepsie.

Featured Campgrounds Near Rip Van Winkle Campground

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $64.00

The pros: Large sites, interesting amenities, strong 50 amp FHU, great cable channels, good location to Woodstock, the Catskills, lots of space to walk around (huge campground), and friendly staff. Tons of things for kids to do. They are clearly catering to families and return visitors who probably live in the area and come back every summer. The cons: Staff doesn't maintain sites well. There was trash (candy wrappers and wadded up paper towels) in my site, cobwebs on the power poles, cables coming out of the ground because they're not buried properly, and trees that need to be trimmed. There are a lot of permanent residents here. They keep their spaces clean. This is a huge park. It's probably 1/2 mile to walk from the back to the front. A lot of the amenities are at the front (the laundry, shower house etc.) so that can be rather inconvenient. The drive inside the campground was tight with bad gravel/slate roads and very forested. I would not want to bring a nicely painted 42 ft motorhome through here. This place is not big rig friendly, or medium rig friendly really. I think a lot could be done with this park if they just maintained it more. At $64/night for a weekly rate, it was pretty expensive. When I checked in they were out of maps and couldn't seem to get anything printed for me since they were having issues with the printer, so I never did get the wifi password or a park map. I can't tell you how wifi worked but the cell hotspot reception for both ATT (12d/l) and Verizon (5 d/l) was good unboosted. I don't think I would stay here again simply for the bad driving conditions through the park. We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Motorhome.

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $32.00

Very friendly staff, roomy spaces (we were in space 14), many children's activities and good location. Definitely lived up to its five star rating! We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Hannaford's food stores in the area are very good.

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $53.00

This campground lives up to its Good Sam 10/10/10 rating. Our site 75 was spacious, gravel surfaced and level. The tiny but clean bathroom facilities (w/o showers) are numerous and installed conveniently throughout the park. They owners seem to have thought of everything from offering golf cart rentals, to selling delicious soft serve ice cream in the office. We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $44.00

This place was built in the 60s but still very nice. The firewood they sold us was nice and dry and 2 bundles lasted well into the night. The sewer hookup had no threaded fitting. You have to hold it together with rocks. Not the greatest. I can see that this park would be overrun with kids during the summer so plan accordingly. That aside we had a great time feeding the ducks at the pond and hiking over to all the fun zones around the campground. All in all this is a great site and we plan to come back! We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Watch out for churchland road if you're heading into town from the campground toward Kingston. It's a very narrow and winding road. We saw one car being towed away from a tree that "jumped in his way". Seriously. Use caution on this road.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $58.00

Beautiful well laid out sites with sufficient room for my class c 32' motor home. Very wooded,clean throughout. Staff was more than accommodating and helpful. Good camp store,nice pool many activities for children throughout entire park. Will definitely stay here again! We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Motorhome.

Mostly Shady, Covered Forested

Town of Saugerties was very nice,good places to eat. Town of Kingston a half hour away with many more amenities shopping,restaurants!

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $47.00

Rate doesn't include the $5 you get back by returning your keycard upon departure. Resort is better suited for summer family getaways than overnight stops. Many sites have permanently installed trailers or fifth-wheels which are owned by families or rented out by the campground - a phenomenon I had not seen before coming to the northeast. Hookups were good and WiFi works throughout the property. The size of the campground is its biggest downside. Our site at the far edge was a half-mile walk back to the main office -- the only place with showers or laundry. That is a slog while wearing shower shoes or hauling clothes and it explains the popularity of golf carts at the resort. For this price, I would have also appreciated real showers instead of the coin-operated ones that waste the first few minutes waiting for hot water. If you're coming from a great distance, beware they will not accept check-ins after 10 p.m. and you'll lose your money. We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $59.00

Heavily wooded, unpaved roads. Don't be afraid because in a 40' class A we did fine. This is a great park with nice folks hosting and operating it. We are early in the season but would like to return again later in the season. We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Motorhome.

This is a big park in the woods in the mountains. It was better than expected. Use Yelp to find good eats nearby.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $50.00

We called that morning and got site for that night. It was a pull through site, nicely wooded. All hook-ups worked great. We stayed one night on our we to Massachusetts. I would stay again. We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Stores, shops and I87 were about 5 miles away.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $56.00

This is a tremendous campground. The owners and their staff are excellent! We have a 44' toy hauler. We pulled it back and forth, to northern NJ, the first two years. Last year we utilized their 'store and stay" policy. We are seasonal this year and next. We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Catskill Mountains are awesome for motorcycle rides. Grocery stores very close in Saugerties. Smokehouse of the Catskills is TREMENDOUS for meats, chicken, cheeses, salads, soft pretzels and rolls. Brisket burgers are best anywhere I have found. Do all their own "smoking" on site.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $50.00

The sites were spacious and well shaded. The bathrooms were very clean. Satellite bathrooms are plain but very clean. The main bathroom is quite modern. They have a nice snack bar and plenty of space to walk off the calories. .The staff is friendly, and the store is well stocked. I thoroughly enjoyed the stay and look forward to returning. We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $56.00

Heavily wooded park, grounds are very clean. Office staff was very nice and office did include a small store with the usuals. Laundry was small but clean and well kept. Wifi at our site was non existent but we were able to use Verizon hotspot. We had a nice pull thru with FHU including cable. Unfortunately the site number was posted on a tree past our site so what should have been a pull thru ended up being a back-in for our 40' coach with tow. Just one of those days.

My only real problem is the entrance to the campground. We saw no signage indicating where to stop near the office and it is very tight. So no matter what, you end up blocking traffic. Lots of seasonals here, but everyone was very friendly except the guy we blocked! We camped at Rip Van Winkle Campground in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Rip Van Winkle Campground

Are you affiliated with Rip Van Winkle Campground ?