Medcalf Acres Riverfront Campground

Schroon Lake, New York

Latitude: 43.8814021041968

• yes-river Waterfront

swedeteam

We have a 32 ft RV and were told they could accommodate us. We checked in at the office which was quite rustic. They had very few items in their make-shift store. On a busy weekend, only ONE person working and had to wait 15 minutes to be checked in. Although, I confirmed the reservation, they didn’t have me down for that night. We noticed the roads were narrow and the trees were in bad need of trimming. The further we drove, the street became more like scraped paths and harder to maneuver. The sight began to look like an old RV graveyard occupied with permanent dwellers down on their luck. One hairpin curve after another required us to make several attempts at stopping and backing up in order to angle through. We finally arrived at our spot which was very difficult to maneuver. The site was just trees cut down with tree stumps left to contend with. Again, close and low hanging trees were obstacles. Once in we realized that the “full hookup” was obtainable but not near our RV. The sewage connection was about 25-30 feet away under a rusty can. The electricity was closer but still took ALL the wiring and the water pipe required 2 hoses. The loud PA system played country music until about midnight. Wife slept with the grandchild while I slept closer to the door. Did not feel safe We decided to leave the next morning and request our remaining nights pay be returned…didn’t happen. On our way out, the 5th wheel in front of us struggled to leave and in so doing swiped a tree with his hitch, ripping the carrier and hitch off. I do not recommend this campground to anyone We camped at Medcalf Acres Riverfront Campground in a Motorhome.

XPPCo

This was probably our worst campground experience yet in our 8 years of full timing! We had reservations for two 40 ft motorhomes. When we arrived, the lady immediately came out and directed me to my "site". There were so many trees I wasn't sure where she intended me to go. She led me so tight against a tree I had to unhook the toad and back up. There were so many mosquitos it reminded me of Alaska (only worse). Camouflaged in the treetops was a cable just high enough to take the MaxAir vent off the top of my coach. The gal directing me into the site never indicated there was a low cable overhead. My friend in the other coach climbed on top of my coach and lifted the cable so I could back out without taking off the air conditioner or satellite dish. The campground staff offered no help or apologies, so we both left the campground without hooking up. We camped at Medcalf Acres Riverfront Campground in a Motorhome.

Adirondack Jack

This park was first built in 1965 and not many improvements were added over the years until the present owner took charge. He upgraded the electric system, installed park-wide wi-fi, and just this year brought in tons of fine, crushed stone to improve the roadways. He also rebuilt and remodeled the washroom/shower building over the 2009/2010 winter period. He also hosts fantastic picnics in the pavilion for all campers on the three major summer holiday weekends. He supplies the meat, asking campers only to bring a dish to pass. This year he also brought in a live band, face painters, and caricature artists. The campground is located on the beautiful Schroon River which affords a lazy 3 hour float trip back to the campsite. The fishing is also phenomenal. There are activities all season long including hay and go-cart rides, movies, bingo and organized picnic trips to an amusement park and horse racing. The park is about 75% filled with seasonals who are mostly working families who come in on the weekends. It is so quiet and serene during the week. All sites are under the shade of the tall pines. The scenery and the caring, family atmosphere make this campground worth a visit, and you will come back. There are cabins and RV's for rent, and all tent sites are located right along the river. We camped at Medcalf Acres Riverfront Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

anner

We stayed here for a week while exploring the Adirondacks. I have very mixed feelings on this campground because we started off well and then couldn't wait to leave. It is about 95% seasonals with only a few spaces for vacationers like us. As other reviews noted some of the campers are trash but then others are very nice too. The campsites were large and full hookup and though the sewer connection looked like a broken pipe in the ground it worked fine. The bathrooms were quite a surprise. You see a door with a latch that looks like it leads to a shack, but when you open it, you have ceramic tile and new pedestal sinks, full door toilet stalls (but only two for the entire campground) and a very nice large shower (but only one for the entire campground). The bathrooms were always spotless. The campground is on the Schroon River (which I kept calling a creek) which the kids enjoyed tubing and wading in. The sites are basically sand which kept me busy sweeping. We were enjoying the campground until our last two days when the "basketball family" arrived. Our site had the basketball court basically a few feet from our awning. Never thought this would be a problem since I've rarely seen anyone playing basketball for long at campgrounds. Well on Thursday night the kids bounced and screamed and shouted for three hours (with only a break for supper) and when it got pitch black they continued to play with a flashlight under the hoop. I was surprised a ball didn't roll right into our campfire! The parents were at the other end of the campground of course where it was absolutely quiet and peaceful. After trying to be patient, we finally requested the manager do something and she said she would tell the kids the court closed at 9pm. Well she lied to us. She drove by in her golf cart and didn't say a word to the kids. Eventually the parents wandered up and joined in the basketball in the dark game until my husband politely asked if they could stop for the night after three hours which they nicely did. So then for the rest of our stay: we could count on the pounding basketballs through picnic suppers and campfires when we just wanted a little peace and quiet. Because there are so few sites for vacationers, there was really no other site to go to and for this reason we would never go back to this campground. It seemed there were no rules and no one to enforce any or provide security if needed. They were good kids just having fun, but truly there shouldn't even be a campsite where we were: just a play area. If you want a seasonal though, there are some great quiet sites here. We camped at Medcalf Acres Riverfront Campground in a Travel Trailer.

gipper

The sites are large, but littered with dead branches making large parts unusable. The picnic tables are covered with pine pitch. The roadways are narrow with branches protruding into roadway and dead pine branches sticking down toward camper roof. Many of the turns are very sharp making passage of truck and 30' camper difficult in some places, and impossible in others. We camped at Medcalf Acres Riverfront Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Sam 67

Unfortunately, the seasonal campers do not have the nicest equipment, and it takes away from the park. We camped at Medcalf Acres Riverfront Campground in a Motorhome.

tomsaramiles

This park is mostly full-timers. Some of the trailers seem to have been there for some time, and are run-down. Sites are bare dirt under the trees, gravel roads in between. Vent for underground sewer tank was located in my site, got fragrant when I dumped. I checked "no" on big-rig access as the roads are quite tight, but there were some mid-30' 5th wheels in there. If I were a seasonal camper I'd rate it higher, but it is too expensive for an overnight stop. We camped at Medcalf Acres Riverfront Campground in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Medcalf Acres Riverfront Campground?