Boone KOA

Boone, North Carolina

Recent Rate: $35 9/2014

Motorhome Traveler

The good: nice, friendly, helpful staff; adjacent farm animals - nice touch. The bad: wifi is terrible - gave up trying to use our tablets and switched to phones with data feed; site was barely long enough for our coach (40') and no room for the car at all; very tight exiting. We've stayed here twice but I'm pretty sure if we return to the area we'll seek out another campground. We camped at Boone KOA in a Motorhome.

NC RV Travler

This was our first time camping at the Boone KOA for Memorial Day weekend stay. We got there at 7 PM and was able to check in at the office. I asked if they could put us into a pull-through site that I could use my satellite dish. They put us in site # 6 at the far left-hand side of the campground with a clear view of the southern sky. I have a 30 ft travel trailer and it was was a tight squeeze down the crowed streets. My travel trailer just about bottomed out at the hitch trying to pull into the site. The spot was terraced with a grassy spot in front. This gave up a bit more room but most sites are tight with little room to park your tow vehicle. The sites are bit un-level so you’ll need some leveling blocks to make rig level. The small pool at the campground was a nice treat along with the mini golf. The Wi-Fi is strong near the office but gets very weak on the back-side of the park. The campground used to be a working farm back in the 70s so it’s not in town but back in the country. The campground does lack good signs pointing the way to the campground. It’s not hard to find but does take a trained eye to spot the road signs. We enjoyed the campground and we would come back but I think the site prices are bit high given the amenities. We camped at Boone KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Pappaw57

This was our second stay at this park (the first in Oct 2011), the only one thus far we've visited more than once. Being a long holiday weekend, the place stayed packed, but it never seemed overwhelming. While other reviews are correct on various points -- some sites do appear a bit tight, and some units had levelers out, and there aren't grand views per se -- I found the roads from town rather nondescript, and camp amenities are more than adequate. Our 5-year-old grandson had a grand time with the pool, the playground and the farm animals, and made new friends at every turn. My spouse again found plenty to do in the area (a requirement), and we even enjoyed the Independence Day parade in town. This is a nice, family-friendly park, with gracious staff. I suspect we'll make it back here again. We camped at Boone KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Redlinez

For the good: staff was friendly and very helpful. Water pressure and power were great. The rest: older facility and looks like it. The main office and bathhouse need renovation IMO, not terrible, just not up to other KOA cg standards I've been to. The WiFi didn't work. My site wasn't even close to big enough for a 28ft TT. Couldn't park my truck on it, sites are very close where you pull in and pull out and next to one another. Couldn't level my trailer with all the blocks I could safely fit under the right side and deflating my left side tires to 10psi! Appeared to have great tent sites. It poured rain the entire weekend, so it was a muddy mess. Fire ring was some rocks in about a 12-14" circle, so bring your own pit. Lots of permanent sites. We camped at Boone KOA in a Truck Camper.

User424

We enjoyed staying here. Site plenty large and used only one block to level the trailer. The staff were friendly and helpful, laundry room clean, and camp store very adequate. But no alcohol for sale. It is a 10 minute drive to town. We would stay here again. We camped at Boone KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Team Asphalt

Although the allure of it being in the mountains sounds intriguing, you really can't see much. You will know that you're 4000’ up though because the 4 mile drive up the mountain from the main road is tight, but certainly doable and obviously all up hill. The office staff was extremely nice, but the sites not so much. They tried to put us in a narrow, heavily treed site for which the turn was not really possible without maneuvering. They were able to move us to an open site which was much better but was just a gravel narrow path cut out of the grass. Picnic table, but no fire ring. To get in and out of town is a trip. The Boone Golf Club is nearby and a very good course. Wi-Fi was OK. AT&T phone service on the weak side. Nice playground, donkeys, goats and chickens that children would enjoy. I think we'd look for alternatives if returning to Boone. We camped at Boone KOA in a Motorhome.

rvingillustrated

Where should we start? Let's start with the plus'. The staff were great. Very friendly and inviting. The location was beautiful. Rolling hills and views of some mountains. They had some activities for the kids and our daughter enjoyed the scavenger hunt, craft time, and the apple cider social. Now to the negatives. Sites are small. The road (H area) we were on was bad. There were ruts where it apparently rained hard and then getting into the sites there were rough. Our site was not level either way you looked at it. With our slides out, we were at the edge of the campsite behind us. If someone were camping there, they wouldn't of been able to have a campfire as it was literally only 2' away. If we had a slide on the front side of ours, we wouldn't be able to have a fire ourselves. Trying to get out was bad because due to the ruts and elevation changes of the road and sites, we almost dragged our stabilizers. That with a tree, it was almost tragic. But we worked it out. There did appear to be some better sites on the other rows. My recommendation is to leave your camper at the check in place and walk over to where they want you to park and check it out first. I wish we had done this ourselves. But all in all, it was a great visit. We will definitely return and hope to get a better site. We camped at Boone KOA in a Travel Trailer.

BobbyH

This is a nice campground, with friendly workers, good hookups, clean shower room, a store, large rec room, and laundry facilities. It is away from the noise of highways, trains, and aircraft (It is quiet at night). Like all middle priced commercial campgrounds, sights are close together. For tenting, they even have a sheltered picnic tables for a number of sights. Two dog walking areas, besides the campground roads. We highly recommend this campground for anyone who wants to camp in the beautiful NC mountains. We camped at Boone KOA in a Motorhome.

EJABsAdventures

It's not a bad park to stay at, but there are better options (in our opinion) in the area. The sites are close to each other and privacy isn't abundant. Some of the pull-throughs have trees that could cause some issues when pulling out of the spot. The road to the campground is certainly manageable if you take your time. Firewood is available for sale, but if you can find it elsewhere, go with that option. We bought three bundles and found each bundle was made up with rotted wood that had since dried, but didn't burn well. Considering the smoke around the grounds, I think most firewood bundles had this problem. Quiet hours state they start at 10pm, but don't expect that to be adhered to. Plus, enforcement of quiet hours isn't a priority of the staff. That said, they do focus on family friendly activities, and the pool was very clean. We would stay here again, if other options were not available, and during off-peak times. We camped at Boone KOA in a Travel Trailer.

apollo1k9

Very friendly staff, clean bath but very out dated, putt putt was very old and breaking apart. For the roads you have to take to get to this place and the price, do some maintenance on the sites. If you drive a MH over 36 feet, you will have a blast trying to level it. After walking around the grounds, I think there was only 8-10 sites that looked level but you would also have the mud holes. There is no pavement in the park. I don't know where they took the "mountain" pictures. They are not at my site or others when I walked around. If you have small kids the playground is good. I will not stay here again. We camped at Boone KOA in a Motorhome.

runawaycrone

Owners were friendly, accommodating. Site had a hump in it which make hooking up challenging. However, while sites were close together, their stair step design gave some privacy. No Wi-Fi, no cable TV. Pet walking area: no waste bags available, no garbage can for bags available. Pet areas not fenced in. We camped at Boone KOA in a Travel Trailer.

alby

Great staff. We stayed in 40' footer in site K 10, next to the playground and office. This is the area to stay if you have a large rig. The other areas of campground are tight for big rigs. Has a nice pool, store, and playground. Camped with my 4 year old daughter, she really liked the place. We camped at Boone KOA in a Motorhome.

jOHNONTHEROAD

I gave the owners some extra points for being friendly, for having clean restrooms, and great recycling. And, it really is a nice location. As a campsite, we had some real problems. The roads are steep and narrow with deep ruts. Pads are gravel and small, and when wet soft. We were here on a rally with big rigs that should never have been put into these small spaces. We had multiple people who had to be towed both in and out by tractor. Our rather large motor home was put on a grassy spot in a valley, which turned into mud. I was lucky to get out. I won't be back here, even if the weather is dry. We camped at Boone KOA in a Motorhome.

VToncologyNurse

This Boone KOA is our favorite place for "kid" camping. The climate is wonderful: 70s in mid-summer at 4000 ft elevation. Pool and game room are much appreciated by the kids: the pool is nice and clean. They have what would be a very nice little putt-putt if some work was done on it. As for the sites: I've seen some reviews state they were trailer park-ish and I guess I'd have to agree. But the nice thing about this KOA is the other visitors (usually from the GA/TN/NC areas) are really friendly and it's a pleasure to be in close quarters at Boone. Staff is very friendly and sociable as well. The other infrastructure (hookups, access, etc) is just fine. If you're a no-kid couple looking for isolation or driving some giant big rig this might not be the place, but for family fun with a pack of kids Boone KOA can't be beat. We camped at Boone KOA in a Motorhome.

sam&laura

The sites are not huge but should not be a problem. Most all of them are pull-through. The road to the campground is a mountain road but is not a hazard at all. The people were very friendly and very helpful and went out of their way to be sure the stay was good. The only reason I did not give this very nice campground a 10 is because the Wi-Fi only works near the office. We camped at Boone KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Are you affiliated with Boone KOA?