Asheville West KOA

309 Wiggins Road
Candler, North Carolina 28715

• Public Phone Public Phone yes
  • Group Kitchen Group Kitchen yes

Ask fellow campers about "Asheville West KOA" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: November, 2018 - $43.00

We stayed in an RV site near the cabins and my son and family stayed in the cabins. The campground was large and had plenty of space between sites with a picnic table and fire pit. The lady checking us in was very nice and we had no problems at all while staying here. There was a bit of rain, so things were muddy and there was a lot of road noise from I-40 if you were near the side near the road, but that was not the fault of the campground and it didn't bother us. The lodge cabin that my son's family stayed in was also very nice and they have done a lot to update things and keep it looking good. We very much enjoyed this campground and will definitely stay here again if we are in the area. We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: November, 2018 - $46.00

Stayed 3 nights in section B while touring the area. Reservations and check in went smoothly. Staff was super nice and helpful. Site was gravel that could of use some more rock. Back in site had room for a 26 ft MH and Jeep Wrangler. Rest room and showers super clean. All utilities worked fine. Road noise could be heard but was not over bearing. Free ear plugs are available at the office if the noise bothers you. Close to Asheville and Waynesville. Would stay again when in the area. We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Motorhome.

B36

Take the tour at the Sierra Nevada Brewery in Asheville. Great beer and interesting tour. Eat at Clydes in Waynesville for good food and portions..

Date of Stay: October, 2018 - $46.00

We didn't stay at another campground because of the Highway noise. Tried this place and it's worse. The trucks sound as though they are speeding up the camp drive. To be expected when so close but GEEZ! We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Travel Trailer.

B6

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $38.00

Located right off I-40 east of Asheville, stayed overnight only did not unhook. Restroom and showers were clean, service was outstanding. Super friendly. Brought up problem with laundry while there and it was taken care of immediately. Two sections in this park, one is back-in and has mixture of full hookup and water/electric only sites, the other is full hookup pull through. Pull through sites aren't super long or easy to get in and out of if you are big, but doable. Several campers with tow went end to end in site and that makes it a little tight getting down the road worrying about limbs and vehicles. Biggest complaint about this park was super steep entrance/exit. It's plenty big enough, just quite steep. They are doing a lot of work in this park and are proud of it, it shows. There is interstate noise in this park, I didn't notice it inside the camper. We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Mostly Shady, Covered Forested
Tight Turns, Obstacles

Featured Campgrounds Near Asheville West KOA

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $44.00

The staff was very friendly and helpful. I had made a slightly wrong reservation, but they quickly found me site for my 9 day stay. The campground was very busy during my stay, especially the front loops. Getting into the site was not a problem even with my 45 foot rig. I did unhook the towed vehicle prior to moving into the site. Staff was always busy with maintenance and cleaning. Yes, there is road noise from the interstate, but what do you expect when you're less than a mile from it. Trees made getting sat TV difficult. Cable TV is provided. Verizon had 3 bars LTE and park WiFi was very good for a busy park. We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Motorhome.

F4

Craft beer scene in Asheville is terrific. Nearby Blue Ridge Parkway and great hiking trails make this a special place. Buxton Hill BBQ in downtown Asheville was wonderul, if noisy.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $22.00

The road into the park is good. Once in the park, a few of the turns are a little tight and there are a few potholes (they seem to be constantly trying to fix them) so take it slow. Check in was fast and friendly. Staff was great. There are over 60 sites plus cabins to rent. Park is very well maintained and is split into two sections - front and back. Front is all pull thrus, back is back ins. Lots of amenities including pool, playground, activities, game room, large dog park and really nice trails for walking. If you walk the whole camp, it is a mile. Sites are gravel with a strip of grass, wider than normal with nice shade trees. There is a picnic table and fire ring. They are angled so you are not looking right into the neighbors rig. We had full hook-ups and no issues with any of them. They pick up trash at your site. Wi-Fi was good and Verizon signal was strong. We don't watch TV so can't comment on that. Laundry and bathrooms were very clean. There is a lot of road noise from I-40 (the reason for the 9 rating) but we got used to it during the month we were here. They offer free ear plugs at the office. You are about 10 minutes from downtown Asheville and all it has to offer plus the Blue Ridge Parkway. We were in Site F-23 which was level and it was plenty long enough for our 37-foot Class A, tow-dolly and parking the car. We stayed from April 2 - May 2, 2017 and paid $650 monthly rate. We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Motorhome.

F-23

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $56.00

This was a pretty nice campground for a KOA! It's relatively small, but clearly the owners put a lot of effort into maintaining the facilities. Beautiful area; good location for jumping off to Asheville or Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park. Best WiFi I've ever had in a campground! The only downside is the traffic noise -- literally 100 yards from I-40 at the nearest point. Still, we were there two nights on the way to elsewhere, and I wish we had stayed longer. Would certainly return again. We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Travel Trailer.

F-9

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $68.00

For a KOA it needs a lot of work. Interior roads are poor. Not a trailer park but used like a city park by townies and weekenders. It was Memorial Day weekend so hard to judge, but lots of tents. Close to interstate so noisy. Good location but needs lots of work. We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Motorhome.

Tight Turns, Poor Conditions

Lake Junnaluska, minor league baseball, glass blowing

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $48.00

The setting of this KOA is fantastic and the grounds are kept natural but well maintained. The office and pool area have recently been updated/remodeled as has a new paved road into the facility. We stayed in the B loop (which is a mixture of full hookups, tent sites, and electric/water only sites) that sits at the top of the campground. The sites themselves are slated to have additional stone put in by 2019 but even with 18+ inches of rain over 3 days, we managed to keep relatively mud free. The playground is small and more suited for young (5 years and under). We plan to stay at this campground again next year to see what further improvements have been made. We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Travel Trailer.

B7
Gravel, Sand

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $34.00

Site 333 is flat, dirt/gravel mix w/o grass. To rear is a steep, tree covered downward hillside. Dirt lanes. Camped in a 35 foot 5th wheel w 3 slides. Site is very narrow w barely enough room for parallel parking truck. At bottom of hillside is a TA truck stop where tractor trailer rigs make noise night & day. I 40 is close & there is highway noise from it. A few tree branches need to be trimmed; they brushed top of rig. Shower & laundry houses are very clean. Small, clean game room w exchange library, games, puzzles, & TV. Several walking trails & large grass areas. Did not use pool, but it appeared very well maintained. About 25 cable TV stations & good AT&T cell coverage. WiFi in this section of campground did not function due to a lightning strike earlier in the season. Staff is very friendly & helpful. We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $35.00

We just bought our first camper in July, right before going to Canada on vacation. We live nearby, but we decided to camp here the weekend before we left, just to get the feel of things. If you're staying here to visit Asheville, you might be a bit disappointed. It's about a 30-minute drive to get downtown. If this campground is even in the same county, it's a close thing. Anyway, the campground itself was nice enough. Our site was a bit tight to back into, and my husband does have experience with backing trailers. We had two vehicles and had to park one a good distance away. The manager is nicely insistent that no one parks on the grass. We only had water and electric at our site, so we did use the bath house. It looked freshly remodeled and it was spotless. The campground is fairly close to I-40, as most reviewers mention, but on the side of the campground farthest away from the registration area, we didn't hear much noise. We do live close to a highway though, so our standards may be different than others'. If the noise bothers you, you can get free earplugs from the office. The pool was nice and clean. Staff were a constant presence around the campground. They were just walking around to make sure everything was okay. The manager comes around in the very early evening to offer firewood for sale. We did receive a packet of information with all of their planned upgrades. It sounds like they are trying to improve everything they can! I've seen other reviews mention a "sewage smell." There's a paper factory in the next town over and sometimes it smells like that. It's not the campground. I do remember the information we got at checkin mentioned that if you smell it, it's usually in the early morning and it's usually gone by 10:00 am. We didn't notice it while we were there. I've lived in this area all my life (luckily not close enough to smell the factory), and I've noticed whenever I am in this area that the smell has drastically improved over the past decade! We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Travel Trailer.

B-26

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $43.00

The owners are pleasant, professional and helpful. This park backs up to I-40 and I thought road noise would be a problem but I was fine with the level of noise at the camp site. You can still hear the trucks, yes. We were in the upper level and this park has a lower level with shorter sites and a little more removed from the road. The site was acceptably level but you will still need pads. Surface was stone and dirt. Sites had fire pits and tables but they are close enough together to make me be cautious in using it. Electric was reliable and stable. We have stayed at other CG's in the area and I will come back to this one in the future as its only 14 miles away from the Biltmore Estate. We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Travel Trailer.

F-5

Located between Asheville and Canton right off I 40 so its easy to get around. Good places to eat in Canton. Got to try out the Bearwaters Brewery and the Pigeon River Grill (in Canton). Great beer and food. Go to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville when in the area.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $30.00

Not much here, and never saw any staff presences outside of registration. Gravel sites were level-ish and quite close together (we had a pull through). A small pool but almost nothing else to do at the site. Close to the highway so there is traffic noise, but it didn't bother us. Bathrooms were SPOTLESS and they had very nice showers and laundry facilities. We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Close to office
Gravel, Dirt, Sand, Grass

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $40.00

Felt unsafe at night as random cars would show up at night and take off early in the morning before staff made their rounds. Absolutely no night time security or checks. West Asheville does have a growing crime problem. Site was small with no room for another vehicle. Firepits are made from gathered rocks which is ok, but seemed a little cheap for a koa. Sites did have fallen twigs on them...needed to be raked. Campground is in the process of renovations per mgt. Bathrooms were very nice and clean. The hilly trail around a part of the campground seemed maintained. Tiny pond was nice for the kids with a ton of bullfrogs at night. Park was small and just OK for young kids, but somewhat out of the way from the sites. There is hwy traffic but it was white noise for me. There is a large truck stop behind the back in sites, but again- white noise for me. I slept well with the drone of distant idling engines, as the truck stop is way down a 100 ft dangerous hill as the sites are on the hill. Owners seemed nice enough at the office. Person cleaning bathrooms was very warm and accommodating. It's a humble no frills, work in progress koa. I'd stay again, but they really need to work on their night time security. Put a fence up behind the back in sites. Get some real firepits, and maybe another better placed playground. Wifi was intermittent. Verizon hotspot compensated for the wifi issues. I feel this place has potential and they appear to be trying to improve the campground. We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Motorhome.

Back in

Blue ridge parkway is 35 to 45 mins away by very curvy roads.

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $38.00

We were only here one night but found it to be a very clean and friendly park. Sites were large. Owners just made upgrades to the bath house and there is some awesome woodwork in there. We camped at Asheville West KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Featured Campgrounds Near Asheville West KOA

Are you affiliated with Asheville West KOA ?