92 KOA Campground Road

• 55+ Only 55+ Only yes
  • Public Phone Public Phone yes
  • Mini-Golf Mini-Golf yes
  • Pickleball Pickleball no

Ask fellow campers about "Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $42.00

Supposedly expensive but we got a deal because of the season. Nice park on a rushing river loaded with trout. Our site was level with good WiFi and satellite friendly. Facilities were spotless. We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $65.00

The previous camper had dumped sewage on the concrete pad, we did not notice this until we were fully hooked up. This park has a lot of employees, someone should have checked the sight before renting it out. Check-in time is 1 pm. If you are early they charge you $25. Some of the roads are in poor condition. This park is way over priced. The site was one site away from a dumper and smelled. We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Travel Trailer.

This park is close to the national park, this is why we stayed there. Never again.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $65.00

I'm disappointed with our recent visit to your Campgrounds. We Arrived on 6/28 and left 7/3/18. If it had not been for plans to meet with relatives from Pa, Fl, SC I would have argued for a refund when I first got there. I had reserved a pull thru site. I was given site 293 and was escorted to the site ... which was NOT a pull thru. The gent was kind enough to give me a ride back up to the office while my wife stayed with our unit. The registration lady called for help when I told her of the problem- the next lady, while polite, tried to explained to me that "TECHNICALLY" this was a pull thru, it was not! That morning a rain storm had soaked the park and there was water standing at sites and puddles ... that's why I didn't want the first site. I had made reservations in February! Why doesn't it assign sites (better ones to the first who reserve) when you reserving? After about 10 minutes they got me a new site ... and FYI there was another guy right behind me with the same problem. I was then given site 296. I was ticked and went ahead and took it. This one has the sewer drain at middle of the site. So this meant I blocked the through road while unhooking and again when loading. I was lucky enough that we loaded up to leave early and only blocked pedestrian traffic. The so called "HOT" tub is a joke. The showers were cold. My B-I-L showered Sunday night about 10 pm, I showered the next morning at 5:30 am and my wife at 7:30 am .. and none of us could stand in the shower to wash. Then to add to an already frustrating situation you nickel and dime us on everything possible, $6 /guest/day, $10/person for tubing/$3 per bag of ice/when it's $2 in town no less. Everyone in the group commented about the facilities and how such bad shape it was in. Ever hear the saying 10# of ___ in a 5# bag? Parking is ridiculous even to just stop in the office / camp store for items or questions. Pics avail. CG was a total let down! We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Asphalt, Grass
Not big enough for my travel trailer

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Obstacles, Poor Conditions

The City of Cherokee was nice and the surrounding areas had much to see and do. I'll go back.

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $70.00

Cherokee KOA is a very large campground on a woodsy road about 5 miles up hill from Cherokee and located on a river with several trout ponds. It is a "Holiday" style KOA, which means log cabins, tent sites, big pools (need cleaning badly...cloudy/green yech), lots of activities and toys and, of course, hordes of kids and summer vacationers. Weekends are off the chain and the movie night Friday and Line Dance Saturday had music till 10 PM loud enough to be heard in Tennessee. Big office and small store at check-in, staff was friendly and efficient. Escorted to our "Premium" site #47 which backed up to the pond. Right angle turn with zero swing room for the truck which meant several back and forths and using grass area of vacant spots in front of us. Grass very muddy and we chewed it up. The guy said it was no problem while acknowledging that the office probably shouldn't have put us in this particular site with our length. When we took a bike ride around the grounds later, we found a dozen very large, slanted back in sites along the river being utilized by tiny tent-campers. Once in, the site is very nice and in a quiet(ish) part of the park, but still near to one of the bathhouse/laundries, of which there were 3. Total tree cover here and at most of the sites, so satellite is out, but their cable service works fine with 47 channels (tho no CBS for some reason?). WiFi is very good (at least mid-week when camp isn't full) which is a good thing as ATT is non-existent. For us, this park is ridiculously expensive for what we got out of it. We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Concrete, Dirt

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches

Mingo Falls is a very nice waterfall about a mile from KOA. Steep 160 stairs climb. Took a scenic drive into the Smoky Mountain National Park and hiked up to Clingman's Dome, a very steep 1 mile climb to an observation tower with views of 4 states on a good viz day. Lots of people there and traffic and parking are a nightmare. Area very green and pretty. Locals love to trout fish and splash in the river. Very summer-vacation-ish destination.

Date of Stay: November, 2017 - $50.00

This is a large campground with many sites. Even still, it was attractive, safe, and pleasant. The kid running the desk (20ish) was condescending to me (60ish) but that was the only negative for the entire stay. As with all KOAs, a cart driver led me to the site and helped position my RV. I chose a back in site to be on the river. That was a nice added benefit. WiFi was good but I needed a booster. I did not use the cable TV. KOA campgrounds can be fairly basic but this one was nice. It's too bad that kid was rude so I could not rate this as a 10. We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Motorhome.

It's hard to know where to start. There are hundreds of attractions ranging from wilderness hiking to cheap tourist souvenir shops to excellent restaurants.

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $61.00

Overall the kids had fun due to the grounds amenities and all of the Halloween activities. This was our first time at a KOA. There were nice sites there however we were not in one of them. We were "upgraded" to a premium pond site. It was a sediment pond. There were drainage pipes behind our camper that would loft smells through our site regularly. There was a decrepit chain link fence with barbed wire hanging off of it right behind the site. People fishing were always walking behind the trailer, although they were pleasant it was certainly not ideal. There were some permanent campers there in all ranges of conditions. The ONLY thing that made our trip was the Halloween activities, Trick or Treating and the people (that is why i gave it a 5 and not a 4). Which can be had at many other grounds. We have mainly stayed at private grounds in the past and will continue to do so. All that said the site we were in is what ruined my take on this place. Most definitely stay away from the pond side. If you can't get on the river. Find somewhere you can it was beautiful. We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Peters Pancake House. Make sure not to take 19 if you are traveling east. take 23 to 441 much easier with a camper.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $74.00

Review - Great staff. Host was exceptionally helpful. Park was fairly clean and kept. Some light construction in office area and some of the full time spots were a little unkept. Roads inside camp are well maintained. We didn't try the bathouse/restroom since we had our trailer. Pool was nice. Nightly games and entertainment. Lot's of fishing spots (river and pond). You need to buy a tribal license to fish. Park seemed at 70% full while we there over long weekend. The spots by the river were nice but the banks needed to be cut back. A little wild between the river and the camp site. All in all...it's a nice park and I would stay there again. Bad Points - EXPENSIVE Getting to park is a little hard...very very curvy mountain road. We have a 15' trailer and it was a little bouncy. Friend with 43' fifth wheel said it was a white knuckle drive. NO CELL - Verizon spotty....ATT non-existent. Wifi works...sometimes....not very strong. Cable goes in and out. Sometimes it would be static filled then snap to crystal clear. FORGET trying to use HD antenna on camper, NO reception. We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Travel Trailer.

4 mile slow, curvy drive to town. 22 minute slow, curvy drive to Walmart - that's one way time not round trip.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $78.00

KOA Cherokee NC was a pleasant surprise. The staff was awesome, courteous and so helpful. They were very concerned about us being satisfied with the visit. We had camped at this park about 30 years ago and thought it was ho hum. There is quite a remarkable improvement underway and we hope that continues. The amenities (pool, office area, many of the sites, and grounds) are very well done. The premium central pull through sites are spectacular with concrete pads, patios and fire pits making them the best in the park. Some of the peripheral sites though have rough asphalt with heaves and need repair . Those sites would not be as enjoyable to put a rig on so you need to be careful and selective when choosing a site. The park seems to struggle with drainage a bit when rain is heavy. Access to and egress from the park on Big Cove Rd can be challenging with low hanging trees that the area tribal council does not seem to be trimming. Also some of the trees in the park need trimming to allow clearance for high RV's. Cable and Wifi are decent. But all that said this is developing into a very NICE RV Resort and we will return soon we hope! We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $60.00

There is good and bad about this KOA. First the bad. It's a KOA, so naturally it's overpriced. Little to no cell phone or data reception on Verizon. WIFI was completely useless. Cable TV was barely watchable. If you are a techie, this isn't your spot. Now the good. Great spot by the river. Well maintained. Plenty of activities for kids. Lots of places to walk around the campground. We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Motorhome.

River site

Central to access Great Smoky Mountains or start (or end) of Blue Ridge Parkway.

Date of Stay: November, 2016 - $52.00

We stayed here for a long weekend. Overall I wanted to like it, and we will go back however I was disappointed in 2 things. First and most importantly site 5 is terrible, horrendous, worst site on the entire campground, honestly just remove it. Where to start, first it's right outside the front door of the store so the traffic, and noise, and music from the pool area is endless. Everyone in the campground cuts through the site to get to the store, so there is an endless line of people just parading through your camp. During our stay our firewood, and our neighbors got stolen. In the mornings the slamming of car doors, and the smell of the diesel trucks idling 20 feet from your rv while they get firewood, ice, and go inside the store will wake you up. In the evening you get people pulling up at all hours and the doors constantly going. The sewer hookup you can't screw into at all, its coming out of the ground at a 45 degree angle and it ends up being much higher than your hose because of how much it's above the ground and angled so its tough to drain out completely. Overall just a terrible, terrible site. Our first night there we tried to buy firewood and one of the employees (who obviously didn't want to work) refused to sell us any, said there was a ban in the county. There was 5 people within a stones throw with a fire and people had fires all weekend. The next day the same guy was selling other people firewood??? I will probably be back, I liked the location, and the grounds we just got a really bad spot this time, but if we have issues like this again no more for us. We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Asphalt, Dirt, Grass

Spots 1-6 are not good.. Avoid.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $50.00

This Campground was well maintained and the bathrooms were always clean. The reason I am giving it a four is because the one of the staff was rude on a number of occasions. Also, after making a reservation 9 months in advance, we were put in a spot that could not accommodate our RV even after letting them know beforehand the size of our RV. We were moved to a site in the back where all the permanent RV are at which was not what we had requested when we made our reservation. Of all the KOA's we stayed at this one was the worse because of the staff. We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $73.00

There were no shower heads in the stalls. Made it a little hard to wash your hair. The on/off knob actually fell of in my hand. We took our grandchildren because of advertised activities. Well they were a joke. None of the activities were worth attending. Thank goodness they had a pool. But then that was disappointing because the indoor pool was nasty...had scum built up on the wall like it had not been cleaned all summer. I was a little afraid of bacteria. We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $78.00

The folks working outside were very friendly. The people working in the store were not friendly or helpful. We will never stay there again. Unfortunately for us we booked a seven day stay. We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $66.00

Pros:

clean bath house with very cold A/C running

shuttle and tubes for going on the river

Cons:

cost, cost, cost

didn't enforce quiet hours. Kids next to me were noisy. Full timer who put his dog out in the morning to just bark. DJ party on Saturday night with music up to 11 PM

Only 2 folks working the desk so wait to be served. While I was waiting, heard a couple complain that they'd specifically asked for a 50 amp site when reserving but got a 30 amp site. They were upgraded but at significant cost. Same thing was pulled with my brother. Seems to be a pattern.

Only stay here if you must. Other campgrounds in the area. Didn't need or want the extras but paid for them. Won't do that again. Lots of full timers here. We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Tent Trailer.

Date of Stay: April, 2016 - $55.00

Very nice level lots with concrete pads and very up to date utilities. This was a very child friendly campground that is clean and very well maintained. We camped at Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Concrete, Grass
Fire Ring

Mostly Shady, Covered Forested

Are you affiliated with Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA ?