9.2 Excellent

The Great Outdoors RV Resort

Franklin, North Carolina

321 Thumpers Trl
Franklin, North Carolina 28734

Ask fellow campers about "The Great Outdoors RV Resort" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $43.00

Stayed for 2.5 weeks. Great park. Awesome owners. Everything was perfect for me except that the bathrooms and laundry facilities were not air-conditioned. In July I like air-conditioning. I know it is cooler than other places, but air-conditioning is in my big book of needs. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Motorhome.

Lots to do. Whitewater rafting, visit Helen, Ga. etc....

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $40.00

This is a nice clean, well maintained park. However, there is one rule that they don't tell you about. Check-in time is 3 pm, which is later than most parks. We arrived at 11:20 am and after paying my bill, I was told that they charged me wrong. They didn't include the $10 Early Arrival charge that was stated in the confirmation letter. There is NOTHING in the confirmation letter about a $10 charge for being early. The person behind the desk (owner) was adamant that I pay the $10. I paid it only after telling her how upset I was. She then told me that there was a two hour leeway in coming in early. But I would have to wait in a field for 3 1/2 hours. While they are friendly, the $10 early arrival charge is just being greedy. Also, some of the spaces are just long enough to get your fifth wheel in and park your tow vehicle sideways to not be on the road. Since the park sits at the bottom of a 7% grade (just behind the trees on the side of the campground), you hear a lot of traffic noise and smell burning brakes off and on all day. Again, it's a nice campground, but their attitude about charging for an early arrival, even when your space is open, is ridiculous and thankfully not a very prevalent thing in the campground business. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Be sure to take the drive to Highlands to see the waterfalls along the side of the road.

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $55.00

This is a wonderful Campground!! The owners and the staff were very friendly and informative about the area and attractions. The swimming pool was large and very clean. I have not seen a shower that was this nice with great water pressure, Hot water, Immaculate and individually private. Our site 63 was large and level. This is a great location to go exploring all of the many water falls nearby. We were delayed arriving due to several wrecks and the owners stayed open till after 6:00 to check us in and help us get backed in to our site. The Mountain Views are excellent !! We will definitely be staying here again, hopefully this fall 2018 !! We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Travel Trailer.

The quaint town of Franklin is 1 mile away and has a number a local restaurants. We ate at the Motor Co. Grill. It was like a 50's Diner that you can sit inside or outside in an open patio. We visited Cherokee NC. and it is only 30 minutes north of the CG. This CG is in a great location to do daily excursions to other places of interest. We have been camping since 2001 and this CG is on our short list of top notch places to stay !

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $44.00

We stayed a week in spot 27. The site was gravel and fairly level and long enough for the coach and the car if we parked sideways. Cable worked, 48 channels. WiFi is advertised at 50mps, we got 2mps the whole week. No verizon signal for the jetpak and the phone was spotty. Road noise was terrible. They offered to move us but with the rain, didn't feel like moving. With the windows closed and the a/c running it wasn't bad. rates. The site had a slope so you we going down hill if you sat outside. The sites had some space between each other but we didn't have anyone next to us but they looked close. All back in sites. They did assist in parking. The sites are on the side of a hill so they are at different levels. Franklin was a nice area but we are not planning on going back. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near The Great Outdoors RV Resort

R&S

Date of Stay: November, 2017 - $55.00

This is a lovely campground in a mountain setting. Hookups were very good. Cable was less than perfect but WIFI worked pretty well. The owners were super friendly & helpful. If you reserve a site, the specific site is not guaranteed. Our Verizon service was spotty. Highway noise is very noticeable at the sites at the south end of the campground. The restroom and laundry areas were spotless. They will bring a fire-ring to your site. We liked it and would stay again. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Travel Trailer.

There's a guide to purchase in the office that is helpful with local scenic drives, including waterfalls.

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $40.00

Gravel, back-in sites. Some difficulty leveling rig. No shade. Park is very clean and well equipped. Nice pool. Park has been one of my favorites and I come here every year, however, the park is under new management (10 months ago) with a whole lot of new rules and the owner has a bit of an attitude. I see a lot of reviews about the good wifi and the owner made a point of telling me it was "the best" (and it always has been in the past), however, of the four nights I stayed, I was only able to retrieve emails once. I was constantly getting kicked off, or just not connecting. Being that the campground is a bit remote (not right in town), 4G wasn't much of an option. The owner has a lot to learn about customer service and how to make customers feel welcome. Not sure if I will return as there are a lot of campgrounds in the area. Park use to be a 10 but with new ownership - now I give it an 8. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Motorhome.

up top

Lots of shops, galleries, restaurants, etc. in town. Near waterfalls and scenic drives. Can easily stay for a week and not run out of things to do - or just sit back, relax, and enjoy the pool.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $44.00

Park was neat, clean, and very quiet and relaxing. Beautiful place. Owners and staff were very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend it. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Cute shops in downtown Franklin. Plenty of waterfalls nearby to visit. Nearby cities had plenty to do.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $40.00

Owners of campground live on site, very friendly. Had small store for quick purchase of stuff. Owner escorted us to our site and helped my back in to site. I did have to use one leveling block to level camper side to side but not a very big deal. He explained all power, sewer and water connections before he left. The lower sites have better shade for the days, upper sites on the hill are good but not as shady. Wifi was great and about 50 HD TV channels. Nice are to walk around. Did have laundry and pool but did not use them. I paid $10 to wash our camper, it was worth it. Gravel lots but no pull thru.

Over all a great place to relax and do nothing, that is what camping is all about, this place is great to do just that. Will bring a fire ring to your site but we did not use one. We will return here, it is only an hour from our house. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $44.00

Couldn't have been happier. Close to highway, strong wifi, ample cable selection, lush surroundings, and friendly owners/staff. Good value for the money. Would stay here again. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Motorhome.

Convenient to Cherokee, Highlands.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $55.00

Gorgeous park. Tucked on the side of a mountain. Sites are a little tight but manageable. Gravel but very level. Ours had a large grassy area behind the gravel pad. Fire pit provided at no charge upon request. We stayed in the premium sites which is the upper level of 3-4 tiers of sites. Park was immaculate. Pool was terrific; clean with plenty of pool furniture in great condition. Wifi and cable was good. Owners and work campers are super friendly and very helpful...they stopped by several times to make sure we were happy and had everything we needed. We will definitely stay here again. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Be sure to eat at Cafe REL in Franklin.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $44.00

Big rig friendly; New owners very experienced & Rvers. Grounds very clean. Dog friendly. Easy access - close to some great restaurant's in Franklin. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Motorhome.

Site 62
Asphalt, Grass

Caffe Rel - Great food!!!!! Great service !!!! They are so good they were featured on a food channel on cable !! Can't go wrong eating here!!! Ask any local and they will agree that this is a great place to eat !!!!

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $43.00

Very friendly owners. Clean and well maintained grounds. No junky permanent trailers.

Very nice pool and workout room and clubhouse. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $43.00

This is one of the highest rated parks in North Carolina, and with good reason. The owners keep the place immaculate and go out of their way to help you out. It's not a huge park with only 66 sites, but they have done well with what they have. The whole park is terraced so each one of the 4 camping rows steps up a little further up the hill. This makes for nice views and a roomy feel, but there is a down side. Walking the park can be challenging if you have trouble with hills, especially if walking the trash out at night as the dumpster is on the top level. The other issue is that the highway that brings you to the entrance to the park is at the bottom of a long 7 to 8% grade. Since the park is close to the highway, if you get a top row spot, the unmistakable aroma of heated brakes can be detected occasionally wafting through the rows. The roads in the park are paved, but the sites and patio's are gravel. We put a rug out on the patio to soften things up a bit, but had to be careful not to overlap and kill the grass. They had a small gym with some weights and 2 treadmills that we took advantage of, but the pool had already been drained for the winter. Thankfully they offered some terrific WiFi, because our Verizon air card struggled at best. One of the hosts said that this was an AT&T home area, and gets great signal. The restrooms were very nice and handicapped accessible. I would definitely come back to this park. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Motorhome.

Asphalt, Gravel

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $40.00

Friendly helpful staff. Park under new ownership and the new owners are very attentive to guests' input. The park is immaculate and staff are on hand to assist in any way. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $44.00

We've been here before, and loved the views. This time was over a holiday weekend, and we noticed how cramped the place felt. Sites were tight with little or no room for tow vehicles. Fortunately, a helpful staff person backed my rig into the site for me. Be aware that they will not reserve a specific site for you, so you never know what you'll get. We camped at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Featured Campgrounds Near The Great Outdoors RV Resort

Are you affiliated with The Great Outdoors RV Resort ?