Medoc Mountain State Park

Hollister, North Carolina

Recent Rate: $18 4/2009

yankeeflyer1

Very nice park nestled in the mountains. Nice level sites. We stayed one night as we traveled from Florida to Massachusetts. Very clean and secure. We camped at Medoc Mountain State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Motorhome Madness

I am really not happy with this park. At first glance it seems really nice, with open meadows and lots of wildflowers...but then it gets weird. A dirt road will get silt all over your car and/or camper. The brochure to the camping area does not say exactly how much camping is (It says "For a modest fee"). Now what kind of nonsense is that? The "modest" fee was not modest at all for a one nighter in a CG with nothing really to offer at all. I've stayed right on the beach for that kind of fee. Now for the ranger. The ranger came to our site about 10 minutes after we arrived to collect the "modest" fee of $20! He could not have been over 18 years old (looked 12) and carried a handgun. I am certain he felt tough with it. My little Border Collie (not imposing at all) came over and rolled on his Belly for the guy and this guy now found it within himself to warn us about 6 times about a 6 foot leash law, the ticket we will get if he "sees this again" and...did I mention the 6 foot leash law? This dog is trained and a therapy dog, but obviously could not heal this "Ranger" of his arrogance and young boy letter of the law attitude. Right across the field were a group of loud obnoxious Boyscouts yelling and screaming until 9:30PM (It got dark at 8:00 this time of year). No huge deal except I go camping to get away from kids screams. Oh yes, and the campsites with electric (by no means the best ones, AND spread sporadically around the loop) have NO water! You find this after you already back in and they grab your "modest" fee. The water is "nearby" each site...yes within walking disatnce. If I had no set up most of the way I would have driven wheelies on the "Rangers" lawn. Nasty people did not know how to say "Hello" around these parts, I am certain they were locals with their twang...not all but most. I am from SC, These people should know better. Now the bathrooms, they were really nice actually. Clean, well set up. However once again the "No Soap" plague has hit them too. And each one is a hike away from many of the campsites. They also remind you about 50 times on many posts around the CG about conserving electricity and water, especially WATER. You know...the stuff I didn't have at my campsite! I learned that a 5 minute shower takes up 20 gallons of water. I am not a hog and I take good care of the environment. but during my shower I made SURE I was in there at least an hour with the hot water blasting. It was too cold for A/C so how else was I going to use up my "modest" $20 fee? I would never stay in this park again and I highly suggest all campers and RV's stay away, it's not at all worth your hard earned cash. Go to the many other great parks in this area and VA. Leave this one to the locals who don't seem to mind nasty rangers, beaing treated like children, loud noisy children and paying $15 for a nothing-to-do-or-see-bare-bones-except-water campsite. By the way, they only pay $15 because everyone except us was in a tent. The only reason this place doesn't get a 1 is because I love wildflowers. =) We camped at Medoc Mountain State Park in a Tent Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Medoc Mountain State Park?