Medora, North Dakota

Red Trail Campground

Medora, North Dakota

250 E River Rd S
Medora, North Dakota 58645

• Verizon, Sprint Cellular Phone Providers Cellular Phone Providers Verizon,Sprint
  • Phone Phone ?
  • Meeting Rooms Meeting Rooms no
  • Walking Trail(s) Walking Trail(s) no
  • Recreation Room Recreation Room no
  • Hiking Hiking no
  • Horseshoe Pit Horseshoe Pit no

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $35.00

Each site is a piece of dust and gravel with hookups. Not much they can do about it as the whole area is very dry. We asked for a 50 amp site, but got a 30 amp one and kept tripping the circuit breaker. Campground is within walking distance of downtown Medora which is kind of cute and quaint. Sites are short an close together. However, the only alternative in the area is in Roosevelt Park with no facilities. For a couple of nights, it was OK. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

Definitely take the loop road at Roosevelt National Park. The Medora Musical was a lot of fun. Variety of music, patriotic, clean and funny comedy. The gospel brunch was just OK.

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $38.00

This is an older park, convenient location to visit Theodore Roosevelt National Park. May have once been a KOA. The roads are dirt/gravel and looks like all the sites are back in. The utilities were fine and the cable TV (which we paid extra for) was good, but we hooked up our satellite anyway to get our local baseball team game. The bathrooms didn't seem very clean and not well maintained. We did not use the showers - they didn't seem very clean. Some other negatives - the young gal who checked us in did seem quite young and not very helpful or personable. Even though we paid extra for the cable she did not offer the channel list. We had to go back and ask for that later. Also - the young man who escorted us to our site was trying to tell me how to back into it even though my partner was there giving me the usual and very good directions. The "escort" was not helpful. Anyone who pulls a trailer knows that it is often a team effort best accomplished by a team that has worked together. I finally had to tell the young man that I was getting too many directions and I asked him to just let my partner and I do it. He said he was supposed to but I said that my partner and I had been doing it together for nearly 10 years and we will all get done sooner if he just let us do it. According to the "campground" rules they gave us our "escort" is required to stay until we have stopped moving. So he did but he did just let us work together without him. The rules also stated that if we move after the escort has left that we should be prepared to move again if we are not within our boundaries. This was a first for us. They didn't offer the usual park map - just a list of rules. Didn't see very friendly to us. They must have had problems in the past. With all of that said we would stay here again if we happened to be passing through. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Theodore Roosevelt National Park is well worth the visit. If you have limited time just drive the South Unit Loop. If you have more time take some of the hikes. We saw prairie dogs, bison, wild horses, and even a coyote who thought he was going to have prairie dog for dinner - not that time. If you have even more time drive up to the North Unit - That is a total of about 160 miles round trip if you drive to the end of the park road and back.

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $35.00

The highlight of this campground is the fact that you can walk into Madora and enjoy restaurants, museums, gift shops, and much more. Driving into town you have immediate access to Roosevelt park. In previous reviews we were somewhat hesitant about coming and staying at red trail. Having been to some state parks recently where new bathrooms have been put in with even walk in showers we were a bit spoiled. I marked the showers and bathroom as clean but it would be nice to have them upgraded. Overall the campground just does not have the appearance of being kept up but we were enlightened by some of the stack of upgrades that had been done in the past year that would not be visible to a guest. We had a back inside for our travel trailer that included water and electric. We were disappointed in that it was not level but it was explained to us that some of the sites were paved in the winter and the cold took its toll. We had signed up for full hook ups but the site that was available that included sewer was not in an acceptable location. The Wi-Fi is easily accessible during the day but in the evenings is in overload. For an additional charge you can get cable connectivity which we did not choose. The sites in general were tight and not really designed for slide outs and awnings when the campground was built many years ago. The town does not have a large grocery store so the campground does have some basic supplies and there is another store to in town that does likewise. It appears that the laundry room has fairly up-to-date equipment at reasonable cost as the washing machine's hold extra large loads. During our three night stay at the campground was nice and quiet at night and even in early morning hours. There is a train track very close but the trains do not blow their horns or whistles so they are not noisy or inconvenient for sleeping. We enjoyed a couple of the local restaurants. And especially enjoyed going to the Medora musical which everyone recommends. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Asphalt, Gravel, Grass

Be sure to tour the Theodore Roosevelt Park either on your own or there are various programs available through the visitor center. Madoraalso has a lot to offer so check out their visitor center as well.

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $40.00

We just arrived and it's already bad. The woman in the office is grumpy, loud and talks over you. I asked her why she was yelling and she said that's the way she talks! She demands that you put your name and home address on the blue slip that goes in your vehicle window. I've never had to do that before! And we travel alot! I noticed that there are several other recent reviews that mention the same poor customer service. If you request a pull through, don't expect to get it. They only have 4 that they reserve the buses with trailers attached. Medora has so much to offer for visitors. Our plan is to be gone as much as possible and hide in our trailer until we move on. Too bad our first greeting in town was so poor and unpleasant. Would never ever stay here again!!! We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Not big enough for my 5th wheel

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $33.00

We were not very pleased with this park. We asked for a shady site when we made a reservation the night before. The person we spoke to told us that there was limited shade so we probably would not get shade. My wife asked for a shady spot again when we checked in and she was told rather rudely that we were told the night before that there wouldn't be a shady spot. We got a spot in the open, but the thing that bothers me is that there were two spots open (in the shade) that were not used during our overnight stay that could have easily accommodated us. Also, the bathrooms were ok but the mildew on the shower curtain was unacceptable. Somebody that cleans the place should have noticed. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $38.00

As stated before, this place needs work. Looks run down, but the power and wifi worked just fine. Sites are somewhat haphazard, Gravel and grass and a little uneven. Store needs cleaning. Overall an OK place. Not too many options around here. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Closest park to the National Park. You could walk to the visitors center

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $35.00

Large trash can in ladies restroom was overflowing when we arrived. I pivked up papertowels from floor to place in receptacle...it was too full to push trash down. 26 hours later, still not emptied. Showers apparently not cleaned for a long time, but filthy mop water sitting outside of restroom for 2 days. Escorts don't ask or direct you to water to fill up before taking you to park at site. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

76 electric only

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $50.00

Not many options here so you take what you can get. Positives were the fact that we were able to get in with a same day reservation; the streets are paved and easily negotiable; we were escorted to our site that was fairly level. Negatives: WiFi went in and out constantly, so very unreliable. $11 extra charge for 50 amp pull-through site. Laundry is a large room with no windows or ventilation with 4 large capacity washers and dryers. But the room needs a good deep cleaning. Based on other reviews I checked the shower/bath and decided not to use either. Again, they need a good deep cleaning. Shower stall floor was filthy. Picnic tables could all use a coat of paint. I observed the male manager watch a 5th wheel pull up and scrape the entire roof of his unit. The manager's comment to himself "that's why the sign says no RVs". Granted, the camper should have observed the signage but taking out the dead branches and the branches hanging over the road on both sides would be an easy fix. All the sites are very close and some are in odd places. I would not want my front door to open to the dump station or dumpsters. One is behind the laundry room with another site perpendicular to it. A couple are next to houses. Since we have seen everything in Medora we won't need to come back here. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

not marked

Painted Canyon east of Medora is a must; try to catch it during the day and at sunset. Take the tour of the Maltese Ranch house instead of just walking through. The ranger added a lot of extras to the history. The museum at the TRNP visitor center is small but informative. The ND Rodeo Hall of Fame was interesting. The convenience store/gas station on the west side of town had great customer service. They have 87 and 91 octane as well as diesel.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $38.00

This park is convenient to the Medora attractions. There are pull through but with a premium price. The owner helped me back-in with no issues. My neighbor on one side was very close. My sewer hose was right next to his picnic table. The site we were on was recycled, crushed asphalt recently spread. Roads are a mixture od asphalt, concrete and gravel. There is a $3.00 charge per night for cable tv. The park provides a shuttle ($5.00 per person) to the Medora Musical. The park was pretty full, but quiet most of the time. This is a family operation. If we were in the area again I would stay here. Full hook-up parks are limited. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $35.00

It all started out wrong when the confrontational lady behind the desk insisted I drive my 102 in. wide rig through a space with tree branches 7-1/2 ft. apart, saying others did this all the time....???? She said there was no other option and threatened to throw me out, keeping my first night's deposit. The campground shows an obvious need for maintenance, with poorly-graded roads and pads, tree branches everywhere, blocking movement. Because of a lack of drainage facilities, this place would become a mud bath with a good rainfall. Water pressure was marginal, but power and WiFi worked fine. At $35.00, this park is over-priced. The campground across the street is a better option. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

Dirt, Sand, Grass

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Obstacles, Poor Conditions

Downtown was cute. Great pizza at Badlands Pizza. Medora Musical was fantastic! I honestly loved the town, Teddie Roosevelt Park and musical, but the campground experience soured my visit to this place.

dfc

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $39.00

As with real estate, location, location, location is the best feature of this park. Shows age and not much in improvements. Staff needs better customer service. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

Medora Musical is good.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $38.00

Location, location, location. Near the entrance to the south unit of Teddy Roosevelt N.P. and within walking distance to the very cute downtown of Medora. Other than that, this RV park has very little going for it. Check in was fine but staff was unprofessional. The roads are gravel and tight for bigger rigs. The pull thru sites are only pull thru for the first one to the site, who pulls in and forward. The second one backs in, so they are actually back to back sites. The sites are a mix of dirt and grass. The utilities worked fine but be careful with your utility side slides. They have a tall metal post that marks the sewer and can get in your way. The restroom was fine. The RV park just has this low class, rundown feel to it. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

Dirt, Grass

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $35.00

Incredibly narrow space. Had to remove picnic table to allow unit to get in. We only have a 25ft TT. Cannot put awning out. Electric was broken so they ran a cable from next door. We could literally touch our neighbor's slide if I reached out of my door. The backing between a tree and a fire hydrant was to say the least difficult. We've been doing this for ten years; we're not amateurs. The appearance of the check-in people who appeared unkempt and unclean was like something out of Deliverance. That should have been our first clue. If we'd have seen the site first we wouldn't have stayed. A sad depressing inhumane place. A lesson learned...beware...check your site first. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $30.00

Sites close together. Bath house not properly cleaned. Would not stay here again. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $35.00

Best available in the area. Friendly helpful staff. Would stay again. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Visit Teddy Roosevelt NP for sure. The ND Cowboy Hall of Fame is worth the $7 admission.

Are you affiliated with Red Trail Campground ?