Red Trail Campground

Medora, North Dakota

250 E River Rd S
Medora, North Dakota 58645

• Public Phone Public Phone ?

Ask fellow campers about "Red Trail Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $36.00

When registering the employee wouldn't stop eating which I felt was rude and unprofessional. She asked how I found out about them and when I replied 'RV Park Reviews' she said "people only use that to complain" and the site was worthless! When initially making the reservation 6 weeks prior I specified I needed a level site for 43' Class A. I was put in the back at the base of a hill in the back which was basically a gravel lot. Tried to level but site was so bad both front & the right rear wheels were off the ground. Made 2 trips to office to try to get moved and was told no, others had no problem so I needed to learn how to level my coach. At the time the park appeared only half full. Another employee met me at the site and after looking at it agreed to move me from full hook-ups to W&E only, the only thing available. Office initially refused to refund the difference saying the price was the same, even though their web site indicates otherwise, and they don't give refunds. The employee who helped me move later brought the refund to me. On the campground 'rules' page a lot of words unnecessarily capitalized, which should have been a clue. Some issues with low hanging tree branches. We will never stay here again nor recommend to anyone. Overall not a bad park but prior reviews also indicate problems with the owners. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

Not big enough for my motorhome

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $32.00

Reviews by others and in some travel blogs lowered my expectations. That said, the park was fine. I was thankful to find a park open after Labor Day. I had an electric only site with a picnic table. I was thankful for the attendant who led me to my site and assisted me with backing in. He aligned my coach so I could deploy a slide. Free WiFi. Verizon signal strong. The campground is right in town and walking distance to dining. Unfortunately, I missed the local Medora Musical season by one day. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

Dirt, Grass

If travelling on I-94 west from Medora, the Evelyn Cameron Heritage Center in Terry, MT is well worth the stop to tour photographic images of eastern Montana in the late 1800s/early 1900s. Contact the Heritage Center via their website or Facebook page for an excellent tour. Evelyn Cameron may be the Georgia O'Keefe of the photographic world. The campground is convenient to the South Unit of Theodore Roosevelt NP.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $40.00

We spent a few night at Theodore Roosevelt National Park and loved it. Wanted to see the Medora Musical so booked a night here. Only place with vacancy. It was a place to park and have utilities. Would not stay here again. It was basically a parking lot with a few trees - but very busy as so few RV places are available in this area I will say the WIFI was EXCELLENT. That is so unusual. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $36.00

First the good - Convenient to town and National Park. Utilities work. Some sites with shade. About all the good I can think of. Now the bad. Under no circumstances should you arrive before noon (we were thirty minutes early due to time zone change) and the grouchy lady told us to leave the park and come back at check in time (park was <50% occupied, and they do not need time for site prep - as they do none.). Apparently did this to others, so come noontime, there is a check in logjam (No issue if you plan to arrive mid afternoon). Also, a fair amount of low hanging branches (many dead) that will scratch your paint (esp. if a big rig). They won't allow you to trim them either. Dump station is poorly located which can block big rigs trying to exit the park (had a 15 minute wait to leave - as the alternative exit route had many low hanging dead branches that would have significantly scratched my rig). Female worker (I believe to be an owner or relative) needs serious customer service training. Sites nothing special, some are better than others. Have stayed at worse places, but would not return here. Note: The low tree limbs shouldn't impact shorter travel trailers or folks not worried about brushing limbs with their RV. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

Scraping Branches

The back nine of the Bully Pulpit golf course is very scenic. Course is a nice course, but don't expect a quick pace of play on weekends.

Featured Campgrounds Near Red Trail Campground

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $43.00

This place is in town, but has fairly easy access. They seem greedy and it shows! The RV sites are EXTREMELY CLOSE and you feel like sardines! Most sites are so short they don't allow the vehicle to stay attached to the rig because you stick out into the road. You have to detach and park in the grass next to your RV. There are even MANY spots that are back-to-back. The rigs are literally 2 feet apart at the rears of the units! Greed is the only reason I can think of for packing everyone in this tight. They have sites with electric & water as well as full hookups. We were also offered a cable TV hookup, but they want an additional $3.00 per night! The sites are gravel and uneven. The trees aren't well trimmed and I watched several rigs drag the tops of their units against the branches. The restroom / showers were ill equipped (one men's stall), outdated, hot and had bugs. The one positive I could find was that the WiFi works great! We had a spot close to the office so that may be the reason why. The dump station is in a terrible location that backs up traffic even more! The "kids" on staff are nice and helpful, but they aren't enough to make this campground even average. I will NOT be recommending this park to anyone. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Not big enough for my travel trailer

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Obstacles, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $36.00

In the village of Medora. An older park with a mix of back-in and pull thru sites. Easy efficient check in. Escorted to our site and the staff assisted with backing into space. All utilities worked well. The closest park to the Roosevelt National Park and the Medora Musical. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

The national park and the Medora Musical are a must see. Lots of cute shops in town.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $36.00

Excellent location, part of charming Medora. Walk to almost everything. Site electricity was good, water pressure got low at times. You may need levelers. Campground is very popular and some of the sites have potholes from RV tires hauling out in mud but the campground doesn't seem to be empty long enough to be graded during the summer. Excellent Wifi and Verizon coverage, half a dozen OTA channels, well-stocked store (there isn't a better "grocery store" in town so best stock up on your way into Medora.) Bathrooms and laundry are well-used but clean. We will definitely stay there again. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

You will want to drive the 36-mile loop thru the beautiful Badlands of Theodore Roosevelt National Park and use your vehicle for protection since both bison and wild horses walk across the road and stare you down! Medora is a lyrically charming town with a beautiful amphitheater for "Medora the Musical", performed 7 evenings a week. Next to the amphitheater is pre-show dinner with excellent food (especially the steak and bison roast). During the day four stage acts perform. Joe Wiegand's interpretation of Teddy Roosevelt was incredibly good. His audience loved him and gave him standing ovations.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $35.00

Check in a bit slow, but OK. Gentleman guiding us into parking spot was friendly; lady at check in not unfriendly, but not friendly either. Sites are clean but some parts of park, especially around office could be spruced up. Wifi was excellent throughout stay. Very convenient to town; everything within walking distance. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

full hook up section
Dirt, Grass

Pizza and Walleye at Little Missouri Saloon.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $40.00

We spent 10 days here while exploring the National Park. The staff was friendly and helpful. We were lucky to get a site with full hookups over the weekend, due to a vacancy that happened when we checked in. It was next to the laundry, store, and showers; we liked that a lot. The wifi was good. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Rita

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $40.00

This place is older, but has all the necessities. The parking staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I had sewer, water, electric with my 26' travel trailer. Cable is available for an extra $4 per day. There are no campfires allowed which stunk. Playground for kids, but that's about it to keep them entertained. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $34.00

This place is hard to rate. The sites themselves are fine, some better than others perhaps. (One review here about tight spots sounds like the park down the road, not this one.) The staff is friendly enough, and they have developed a parking system that works pretty well for them during busy season. We stayed in a back to back E/W site that required someone to tell us exactly where to put our rig so there would be room for those backing in behind us. There is plenty of room to get it done. The park itself needs some TLC - just basic stuff like cleaning and paint! A remodel here or there would be good too. They have a captive audience because of their location, and possibly that interferes with their motivation to make the place visually more appealing. We enjoyed the shows and Medora so much that the state of the campground seemed a minor inconvenience. We would stay here again. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Buy groceries on the way. RV Park is walking distance to town. Medora Musical and Gospel Brunch were well worth the cost. Cowboy Hall of Fame and Museum is very good. Bully Pulpit Golf Course had some fun and particularly scenic holes on the back 9. Restaurants abound - Ice cream too!

2 campers found this review helpful. Do you? Yes No Undo

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $37.00

The price includes the Good Sam discount. When checking in the lady's face would have cracked if she smiled! There are so many trees you cannot get satellite, wi-fi was just OK. The spaces are so tight we had to park our truck right against the motorhome, barely able to open our door. When making reservations I am always sure to tell them we have a 44' motorhome with tow vehicle to make sure they can accommodate us. On the plus side, we went to the Roosevelt Nat'l Park and saw some buffalo and prairie dogs, and the Medora Musical and Dinner were fantastic! We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

Not big enough for my motorhome

Go to Roosevelt Nat'l Park, and Medora Musical is a must!

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $38.00

Sites are tight. Staff was very good in our experience. They even had a reasonably competent RV repair person on the staff. They got my water heater working again, even though they missed they missed the fact that the electric element was burned out. The gas side worked fine. Main attraction was it was close to town and the National Park which was what we were there to see! We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $34.00

Water and Electric Site. No cable. Sites are Dirt, so in all the rain they were mud. Only 2 shower stalls for this crowded park. Sites are incredibly small and crammed close together. People towing parked parallel to their rigs, so there was little room for slide outs or awnings. It was a weekend and the campground was full. It was convenient to the town of Medora and the Theodore Roosevelt NP. There was some annoying loud Karaoke on Saturday night, but thankfully quiet hours were observed around 11 PM. Don't miss the Medora Musical, it will make you forget about the bad Karaoke. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $36.00

Right in town convenient to Teddy Roosevelt National Park. Stayed two nights to rest up and see the park Hard working owner/managers on site. We stayed here 5 years ago also when we visited the park. We camped at Red Trail Campground in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Red Trail Campground

Are you affiliated with Red Trail Campground ?