American Wilderness Campground

• Restrooms: vault Restrooms: vault yes
  • Beach Beach yes
  • Boating Boating yes
  • Outdoor Courts Outdoor Courts yes

Ask fellow campers about "American Wilderness Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $40.00

Lots of problems with this park. But if you want to be by Cleveland you have VERY limited choices. 1. One of the main roads to get here was under construction with NO detour. Meaning, it was closed. Not that easy to get around the closed area. 2. This park is down a bunch of country type roads that a slow going and not that easy to drive an RV down. 3. This park in miles is fairly close to Cleveland, but it is time consuming to get there or mostly anywhere due to "cow-path" type roads. Even Grafton is 5 miles away and you should have a Garmin to find it. 4. No wifi at all during our stay of a week. I was told they were changing providers. 5. Poor cell reception. 6. Power went out while we were staying here and it was in the 90's with high humidity. The power was out for many hours. 7. There is one, one lane road to get in and out for this large campground. This means if two RV's towing enter at the same time at either end there is a problem. And you cannot see the other end so this can and does happen frequently. 8. NO SEWERS AT ALL. One dump station at the entrance. 9. Check in is 3pm. We got there at 2pm and had to wait an hour. 10. Nice little lakes you can swim in and fish in. Stuff for kids to play with in water. Beach next to lake. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Motorhome.

Tight Turns, Obstacles, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $57.00

Where do I start? Campground reportedly nearest Cleveland. City is at least 30 minutes away so keep that in mind. Campground not easy to get to. Multiple rural road closures on way to CG .ade the trek difficult with a tow. Passed several nearby correctional facilities in the nearby town. On arrival, front desk staff was quite rude and unwelcoming. CG was very nicely kept however. Sites were level and spacious. Beach and ponds were nice and the kids enjoyed them. Facilities were terrible. One functional shower for the entire CG. Had to wait 20 minutes to get into it. Worst part of our stay was the electric. CG power outage occurred while we were visiting Cleveland. It was a 94 degree day. Our dogs were in the air conditioned RV when it went out. THANK GOD our neighbors had the sense to ask the front desk to call us. We had to bail on our afternoon plans and hurry back from Cleveland crossing our fingers that we wouldn't find our pets dead. Fortunately, they weren't despite the interior of our RV at 97 degrees. Seasonal renters mentioned that they lose electricity once a month. Upon complaining to the front desk, it only took a matter of minutes for them to refund my money. Power was out at our area of campsites for at least 5 hours. Made for a miserable experience. I would not stay here again. Lots of potential at this place, but they have too many kinks to work out. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Motorhome.

As a forty year old, I enjoyed the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, although it is probably not for everyone.

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $33.00

We used to have a camper here and now we came back to tent camp. Great place and close to home. We did not take our dog, but this campground if pet friendly. Campers and staff are friendly and helpful. The beach has lots of things for the little ones to do. They always have activities both kid and adult friendly. At the end of the day I would come back to camp at this facility. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Tent.

Other

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $41.00

Our campsite was not very level. It took all of my blocks to level my rig. The roads were very narrow, but the intersections were wide enough to negotiate my 39 foot 5th wheel without leaving the road. The area I camped in was full of pipeline workers, but it was very quiet, and you would not know they were there. I would stay there again. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Featured Campgrounds Near American Wilderness Campground

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $30.00

My wife and I stayed 4 nights over the Memorial Day weekend. Our site was next to a double tent site that was being used by far more people than should have been able to use the space. The tent campers were using our space for parking when we arrived and we had to ask for assistance to gain access to the site. One of the tent campers told us our site was supposed to be his. Several of the tent campers walked through our camp site (to and from cars) while we were there. We believe the managers should have limited the number of people permitted to camp of the site. There seemed to be many tent campers around the campground who were camping in what seemed to be odd areas. Also, our camper was in full sunlight the entire day. I would recommend potential campers to ask about shade of the exact site they will be reserving and also ask what direction their camper will face. Otherwise, the campground was OK (good amenities), but ask about where the nearest tent campers will be and shade issues. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $20.00

I had asked for some rock to be delivered to fill a deep tire rut on my site and to my surprise at 7:00 PM that day two youth showed up about age 4 and 6 with buckets of gravel and two plastic shovels and made me a satisfied customer. They were the children of one of the managers. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Rock and Roll hall of fame is a fun place to visit in Cleveland

Date of Stay: April, 2018 - $48.00

We are seasonal campers at American Wilderness. This is our 6th season and my family enjoys the season. They have a lot of activities for the grandkids, kids and adults too. Nice fishing lake, boat rental, and a very nice sandy beach and swimming area. Very nice folks throughout the campground and the staff are very nice. If you come to camp at American Wilderness you will enjoy your stay. It is a great place to stay . We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Site 17

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $39.00

We have stayed here in the past when visiting the Cleveland area and while my overall experience was positive, there were a couple of things they could have done much better. I called the day before to make reservations and was greeted by an answering machine, thinking the office was closed, I called again in the morning and left my name and number as requested and stated we were requesting (2) 30A sites and then proceeded that way. It seems they don't answer the phone. They finally called back at 2PM asking only if we were still coming. On arrival they assigned both of us into a single long pull through sharing the one post at the rear. We had a Y adapter and a 50-30A adapter and extension cords and hoses and were able to make it work as we were told there were no other sites available despite the one beside us and across from us and others were never occupied while we were there. We were each charged the published rate for a site despite actually sharing a site intended for a single RV. They did waive the early check-in fee as we arrived at 2:30 having not heard from them until 30 minutes before arrival and waived the fee for having to connect to a 50A outlet! There is a single narrow road that serves entrance and exit to the RV area that would be much better if it was wider to accommodate 2 way traffic. It appears customary for most to cruise the campground in the evening in the many golf carts here. Otherwise, it is a very nice and popular campground with many activities for the kids. The store is well stocked. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

This is probably the most convenient campground to visit the Cleveland area and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame although still some distance away.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $45.00

No sewer. Very few bathrooms. The bathrooms are not convenient. No laundry. One road in, one road out. Roads need to be regraveled....they are in very poor condition. I would not stay here again. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Travel Trailer.

RV section

Poor Conditions

Fairly convenient location to shopping centers and to get to Cleveland.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $41.00

Close to Cleveland which is what we needed. Mostly seasonal campers that were well maintained. No sewer connection but do have dump station on the way out of the park. They do not escort you to site and they should as they are not well marked and it took us awhile to find ours. We found the campground to be very quite but we were not here on the weekend. The little cabins they rent are a joke. Could not be much bigger than 8 by 10. They state they are rustic. Run down would be a better describition. Some roads in the park are a challenge with a big unit but manageable if you take your time. Over priced for what you get and they charge extra for things that other campgrounds do not. Your bill can get quite high if you have pets and more than two adults. Sites are large and level. No trash pickup at your site. You must take to dumpster which was a long way from our site. Only one bath house and again it was a long way off. Park needs another bath house at the far end of the park. Only two shower stalls for the whole park. Could be a very nice park but needs more maintenance than it is getting now. Did not see a campground worker in the six days I stayed here other than in the office. Grass needed cut everywhere in the park. Would I stay here again? Yes but I came to play golf with my brother-in-law and there are a lot of places to play around close. It fit my needs but the things I did not like didn't effect my stay. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Motorhome.

Tight Turns, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $39.00

We chose this Campground because it is the closest one to Cleveland and we were planning a trip to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The good: it is very family friendly, sites are good size, plenty of grassy areas for walking the dog, friendly staff. The swimming lake/beach area is nice. There are shady areas and we were still able to get a line of sight for our dish. Verizon worked well. The not so good: the bathroom and showers are up front by the office. Quite a hike unless you drive up. Only 5 showers for the whole place (2 for each sex and a family one). The only toilets by the campsites were pit toilets. Laundry has only 2 washers and dryers and one washer was out of order. The road to and from the campsites is very narrow. We were coming out once and a person coming in almost hit us; she was not looking at the road, cell phone maybe. We had to back up so she could squeeze by. Not the campground's fault but maybe a stop sign where you turn out of the parking lot onto the road would help. The dump station is located on an "island" at the main road into/out of the campground. So you end up blocking the road to dump your tanks. I had an appointment one morning in a nearby town and had to drive over the grass to leave because a big motorhome with a tow had the road blocked. Dumpsters are up by the dump station but there are waste containers for pet waste in the camping areas. It downpoured our last day there and the area we were in became a swamp. Couldn't walk the dog without going through standing water. Had to drive to higher ground to hook up the tow the next morning. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Motorhome.

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

We ate at the JailHouse Taverne just down the road. Nice place. Not a huge menu but good food and friendly service. Also went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Terrific! I wouldn't take small children though. The ones we saw there were bored and it showed.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $41.00

This park is a bit off the beaten path. Good stuff: Very warm and friendly welcome; New buildings very nice; lots to do for kids. Not so good: main bathroom could have been better maintained and was quite a distance from main camping area but was better than the pit toilets in the camping area. Many sites looked to be long term and not all were kept in the best of shape; only one somewhat narrow tree/bush-lined road from office to and from campsites. Worked fine if no traffic coming in opposite direction but caused us to pick up scratches on the way out. Our pull through site was gravel, plenty long and mostly level. Had to keep an eye on bordering railroad ties entering site. Decent over-the-air TV. Water/electric was fine. No sewer but dump available on exit. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Obstacles, Poor Conditions

Had dinner at the Jailhouse Tavern - good food, good prices, fun atmosphere. Made quick visits to Lichfield and Medina. Neat looking towns with some good looking shops and eateries.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $35.00

American Wilderness Campground has wonderful weekend activities for both children and adults. The staff are friendly and courteous and helpful. The facilities are kept clean at all times. They also have a fishing lake and swimming lake. I highly recommend this campground to anyone. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Site 56
Gravel, Dirt, Grass
Other

They have a store for basic necessities that you may need. There are grocery stores close to the campground.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $39.00

Extremely gorgeous campground. Very scenic and love the rustic lodge and cabin buildings. The layout of the park is very picturesque with the trees and lakes. We travel all over and this is the most attractive clean park we have been to. The sites are not paved, but it's a campground and it is well kept. We enjoyed our stay and will return again. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $45.00

Very clean,quite,kids freindly place, very freindly place i have stayed .I would recommend this to all my freinds. We camped at American Wilderness Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Sunny Open, Some Shade, Mostly Shady, Covered Forested

With in 10 to 15 min drive to store and other city,like vally city ,brunswick,and medina

Featured Campgrounds Near American Wilderness Campground

Are you affiliated with American Wilderness Campground ?