Ohio Turnpike Rest Stop-Portage

Portage, Ohio

Portage, Ohio

Recent Rate: $20 8/2015

• Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?
  • Water Water no
  • Sewer Sewer no
  • Family Friendly Family Friendly no

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $20.00

We travel in a 40' MH with a small towed vehicle, so keep in mind my comments are from that perspective. This particular service plaza RV area (eastbound, Brady's Leap) is not a great value. We have stayed at two Ohio plazas with RV accommodations this year, and this one is at the bottom of the two by a large margin. First of all, not every spot has 50 amp. It appears that every other spot is wired for 50 amp, but I won't swear to it. I did not realize this until after I had set up the MH and attempted to plug in. We moved to another spot that did have 50 amp, but discovered that one leg of the 50 amp plug was dead. Our third attempt was the charm. The RV sites here slope severely front to back. Normally, I would not deploy my levelers in an area such as this as a consideration/courtesy to the provider, but I paid $20 and the slope was way more than just noticeable. I could not get level without lifting the rear wheels off the pavement, which we all know is a no-no for a MH. I leveled to the extent I could do so safely, which left a lot of room for improvement. I applaud the Ohio Turnpike commission for having areas set aside for RVs. I think that is a great thing and I have not encountered that before in my interstate travels. I only wish the sites were more level and consistent with the electric. If the rates were $10 or even $15 I might not be so critical, but $20 is a threshold amount and I expect more at that price. I do not think we will stay at this particular plaza again. We camped at Ohio Turnpike Rest Stop-Portage in a Motorhome.

Don't count on the vendor area of the plaza having any travel/RV supplies because they don't.

Date of Stay: July, 2014 - $20.00

Cash only ($20) at self-pay ticket machine. Located at westbound mile marker 197. Back-in only. Convenient for overnight stay. Each site has room to extend slide outs and to park towed vehicle. Some toll road traffic noise, but located away from truck parking. We slept well, even woke up late the next morning. We would stay here again when traveling the toll road. We camped at Ohio Turnpike Rest Stop-Portage in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2013 - $20.00

It was raining and there was a HUGE wreck on the Turnpike after the July 4th holiday. We waited in traffic over an hour and only went 1 mile! When this turnpike exit came up, we took it. The trucker showers were free. There were several choices of places to eat, plus a Starbuck's in the morning! It was some of the best camping at a rest stop we've ever done! The sites are set away from the big rigs, so not as noisy as the usual parking lot boondocking. The power terminals made it easy to have lights and not drain battery power. All in all, it was way more comfy to sit back and just watch the traffic jam with a beer in our hands instead of suffering it out. We camped at Ohio Turnpike Rest Stop-Portage in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2011 - $20.00

Designated RV sites are not pull-throughs so we had to unhook our car, but they are wide enough for the slides to be out and the car to be parked along-side. Very handy if you are on the turnpike. Pay cash in a box and get a ticket for the window. Good 50 amp service. Free dump-station at the exit of the RV area. Short walk to the rest area facilities with several restaurant choices, Starbucks, gift shop and restrooms. Traffic noise did not bother us. There were several other rigs there with us. WiFi from the plaza was available for a fee. You may stay in the regular parking lot for free with no hookups. We camped at Ohio Turnpike Rest Stop-Portage in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2008 - $15.00

Convenience of this facility is unexcelled. We spent the night and drove right over to the diesel truck pumps. This is a service provided by Ohio and has 12-15 sites with 15 amp service and water. We easily backed our 42' motorhome into the spot and parked the car next to it with plenty of room to spare. I cannot speak of the rest stop restaurant or bathrooms. Payment is made into a box upon which a parking pass is given. Close to the highway and trucks entering the fuel and rest area, but we slept well.No other RVs were present. We camped at Ohio Turnpike Rest Stop-Portage in a Motorhome.

Olive Branch Campground

Oregonia, Ohio

West Branch State Park

Ravenna, Ohio

Crystal Springs

North Ridgeville, Ohio

Are you affiliated with Ohio Turnpike Rest Stop-Portage?