Bear Run Campground

184 Badger Hill Rd
Portersville, Pennsylvania 16051

• Big Rig Access Big Rig Access no
  • Restrooms Restrooms ?

Ask fellow campers about "Bear Run Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $45.00

The pictures on their site are deceiving . We thought that it looked like a wonderful place to stay...Started off bad right from the beginning. We booked early enough to get a better spot.. Were told that there were lots of spots available at the time. When we got there we had only a choice of 3 sites ( none any better ) We were told that others had been booked before us ( not true as we asked 5 campers that had good sites & they said they booked only a day or two early to get theirs, plus they were only staying for the weekend (so their spots were left empty the rest of the week.) We had a whole week to stay in our terrible spot.. So un- level that we had to go in and out of our unit via 3 huge blocks to our step which rocked back and forth making it very dangerous for us at our age. Awful brown water ( no different than their other sites though ) coming from a broken faucet that kept dripping enough to cause a mud hole close to our unit. Bathroom was filthy, paid for shower and it still didn't work. Commodes always filled with poop & paper because they didn't flush right. Pay showers that didn't work ( just dripped ) after you wasted the quarters. Dish washing basin filthy as well and I cleaned it each day. I did more cleaning there than they did just to use the facility . Believe me if we hadn't been there with a pop-up camper that was hard to take down and set up, we would have left after the first day. We told management ( both brothers and employees inside the store) , and they were suppose to come and speak to us...Felt they should have at least reimbursed us for the cleaning supplies I had to purchase at their store. We were told that one of the managers would speak to us the day we were packing up to leave....No where were they to be found! We have camped for 50 years and this was one of the worst places and lots more expensive than most others. Paid a high price to spend a lousy week there. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Tent Trailer.

D01
Just long enough for my tent trailer

Tight Turns, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $55.00

This campground is a little tight for big rigs. There are activities and the camp store is nice. Laundry was clean. Arcade machines did not work well. Dog park is nice however it requires a short hike through a pine forest. Nice park otherwise. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

B16

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $50.00

Big rigs should avoid this park. Narrow entry road off the freeway, no place to park to check in and sites are angled at 90 degrees making them difficult to get in and out of. Staff on arrival was young, unprofessional and not helpful at all. It is in a beautiful setting and would be a nice place to stay with a small unit or a tent. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2014 - $50.00

Really nice park with easy interstate access but far enough away to be quiet. Super clean, well maintained and beautiful. If you have an RV 30' or shorter I recommend it. Big rigs should stay away. The sites are long enough but very narrow and to enter or exit your site you need to make a ninety degree turn onto a very narrow road. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Featured Campgrounds Near Bear Run Campground

Date of Stay: July, 2014 - $57.00

This park is nice enough. It is clean and well kept. The only downside is that the sites are incredibly small. Super duper small. We had a nice time and the staff was friendly. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2013 - $49.00

Road to campground is curved and narrow. Go slow. Once there, a gate marks the entrance. Internal roads are paved, as are the lower pull-through sites, which are set aside for transients. Majority of sites occupied with RV's that are permanent. A big summer "go-to" CG. Heavily treed, so very difficult if not impossible to get satellite reception. No cable makes antenna necessary. Staff accommodating and helpful with area information. Not far from Pittsburgh. Would stay here again. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2012 - $49.00

The owner and staff were very friendly and helpful. Although big rigs can be maneuvered into the campsites, I would not camp there again in my 42 foot motor home. While going to our campsite following hand signals of the helper, I nearly hit a short piling. Fortunately, the helper signaled me to stop, and I was able to backup and avoid it. Leaving the campground was not easy. I was unable to swing wide enough to avoid having my rear tires hit a rock hidden by a hedge near the front gate. I backed up and a staff member moved the rock so that I could proceed. Since there was no good place to hook up my toad between the campsite and front gate without blocking traffic, I elected to leave the campground and stop along the public road by the campground to hookup. If you do decide to camp there in a big rig, my advice would be to ride around the campground in the golf cart and carefully chose your site. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2012 - $49.00

Great park, very friendly staff. We only stayed overnight but will definitely go back again and stay longer. Small road going in so beware, but we thought it was worth it once we got there. Our 40 foot RV + towed = 62 feet long fit just fine. A nice gentleman escorted us in and went to the store for milk, they didn't have what we needed and someone was going into to town and they picked it up for us. There are a lot of permanent trailers but when we were there it was all quiet. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2011 - $50.00

We camped here in a cabin in August. The staff are very helpful and kind. The scenery is gorgeous. Campgrounds are clean and well organized. We felt very safe and protected there. We swam in the heated pool, hayrides, trails, canoe rentals, live music, playgrounds, dog run, fishing, the whole deal. Kids had a blast! Cabin was very clean and comfortable. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves throughout the grounds, By far our favorite campground in PA. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Campground Cabin.

Date of Stay: July, 2011 - $45.00

We stayed here in July 2011 in a tent with my parents staying in a 5th wheel. The first tent site they were going to place us in was on rocks on a pull through because we wanted water/electric. We went to look at the primitive sites, and all of the tent sites were in a poor place and not worth the money. I had to ask to get reimbursed since the campground is run by teenagers; the 4 days I was there I did not see one adult working. They advertise on the website that there are walking trails and a close state park down the road. This was untrue. We drove everywhere; something I was not expecting. Thankfully I was able to use my parents 5th wheel for a shower/bathroom since the facilities were in horrible shape. I believe this is from the lack of adult supervision as I mentioned before. I will not be going here again, and I would not recommend it. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Tent.

Date of Stay: June, 2011 - $45.00

This park isn't worth the money they are getting for it. It is built on the side of a hill, so all walking is either uphill or downhill. Very hard on old knees. There is no cable TV and dish reception is impossible due to the surrounding trees. The sites are difficult to get into due to the unevenness of the terrain. It has very poor water pressure but the weather was nice. The only redeeming thing of the park and the only reason I rated it where I did, was because of the great staff that would do anything for the guests. If it hadn't been for them, it would have been a 2. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2011 - $50.00

I first have to say that the only reason I gave this park a three was because of the very helpful people that work there. Next let me say that if you have anything larger than a pop up trailer stay away from this place. We had to stay there as we were traveling north and we did not have much choice. We barely got the trailer into the place it was total stress, the roads are so narrow and they have a gate auto up and down arm to enter and exit. The pull thru sites are on the side of a hill.and it was terrible getting the rig in and out, my wife went four wheeling down the hill with the 12000 lb trailer bouncing and leaning behind her. I thought it was going to tip over. The bath house had pay (coin operated) showers. Some did not work and the gals told me that the women's shower was so dirty that they did not want to sit down while dressing. The men showers did work but were not very appealing. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: May, 2011 - $53.00

This campground was on a hill. We either were walking uphill or down him. The staff wasn't very friendly. The spots were small. They had no TV but they did have wi-fi. Although the wi-fi didn't work well at all. The prices were very high for what we got. We will not be camping here again; that is for sure. One of the worst campground we have ever stayed at. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2010 - $50.00

First the good point. The front portion of my skinny site was level. I was surprised since this place is on a hill. The park is rated by Travel Life/Good Sam as a 9.5/9*/9. If this were true it probably would have been worth the $50 (with discount). This is a $25 CG. The road to the CG is a one lane about 1/2 mile. Big rigs beware. No satellite, cable TV or antenna TV. WiFi is hit and miss. Satellite radio was so so. Hook ups are on the wrong side and the water spigot is just a inch from the electric plug. The picnic tables sit on the slope so they are useless. Why bother having them? Trash truck came at 7:10PM. I will NOT return to this CG. Did I mention 2 useless speed bumps? We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2010 - $25.00

If you like private tent sites and a lovely country location next to a beautiful state park then you will like it here. We camped at a primitive site. Lots of woods and shade. It is a walk to the activities and shower though, so I recommend bringing bikes. Porta potties are close though. The road is a bit rough going back to the primitive tenting area. They could invest in some gravel and maintain those a bit better. Nicely landscaped campground, nice activities,store and rec room and horses abound. The sites by the horse paddock are the best! Cabins are in nice wooded areas. Nice 6 foot fenced dog run area. If you have a large RV though you probably don't want to camp here. The RV sites are crowded and narrow. Other than that it is a clean, welcoming place. Great location off I-79. It was pretty full when we stayed here but people were quiet at night. Some people weren't obeying the leash rules for their dogs. They need to enforce that a bit more. And it is hilly here, which doesn't help the poor road conditions. We camped at Bear Run Campground in a Tent.

Featured Campgrounds Near Bear Run Campground

Are you affiliated with Bear Run Campground ?