Shady Rest Campground

South Gibson, Pennsylvania

2684 State Rte 2067
South Gibson, Pennsylvania 18470

• Restrooms Restrooms ?

Ask fellow campers about "Shady Rest Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $30.00

Nice place. Shady lots, great wifi. You have to get a cable box from the office, but once you hook up the box, great channels. There's a good restaurant by the interstate called Bingham's. We went to the Coal Mining museum in Scranton, PA. for something to do. It's not alot to do here. Nice owners. Some spots you might want to engage your four wheel drive. There are some steep inclines. We camped at Shady Rest Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Lackawanna Coal Mine tour in Scranton, PA.

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $30.00

Very poorly laid out spaces -- water and electrical hookups often opposite ends of site, sites close together, depth of sites would not accommodate 24 foot trailer and pickup truck, mostly permanent residents in poorly kept units. We camped at Shady Rest Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Only positive to this experience was "Bingham's Restaurant" at intersection of I-81 and Highway 32.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $30.00

This campground is conveniently located off of I-81 and it is a jewel. Full of tall trees, it offers very shaded sites that give a sense of being alone in the woods and spaciousness, in spite of the fact that the sites are quite close to each other. Many seasonal fifth wheels there of workers in the fracking mines. They are very quiet, in fact the campground is very quiet all together. The owners are very nice and helpful. We asked and got excellent internet. No laundry facility and grocery shopping was somewhat far. Electricity is paid for separately if you go for the weekly rate. Make sure you read the meter and bring the reading to the office when you hook up. We stayed there for 10 days in a class A motorhome. We camped at Shady Rest Campground in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $15.00

The sites are really nice. Gravel pads fairly level. Cable television, clean water, 50 and 30amp. Our spot, 28, was shady. It was very nice. The owners are excellent people. They made room for me there and helped with any issue that came up. If I am ever in the area again, I will stay there for sure. Thank you guys for everything We camped at Shady Rest Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Featured Campgrounds Near Shady Rest Campground

Date of Stay: May, 2009 - $14.00

We fully concur with the previous reviewer. We camped at Shady Rest Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: March, 2009 - $25.00

I have stayed at this very small campground for the last two years during the winter season and regret not having reviewed it sooner. Yes, this is a small family run campground, but the couple that own the campground are very accommodating. They DO HAVE 30 amp service and have had that service for the last 2 years that I have stayed there. In addition they do have 50 amp service, at least in the one spot where we were parked last year. I stay here at least once and sometimes twice a month during skiing season with my kids. In a winter skiing campground (much like dry camping because there is generally no water or sewer hook up what we are looking for is either 30 or 50 amp service, and they do have both. I need the electrical service to keep my water bay warm. In addition a clean bathroom with showers is a plus but not necessary Last year they opened showers and a bathroom in the basement of the office/house. They have been very helpful to me coming up from Philadelphia to ski, providing me with accurate road conditions around the Scranton area and north to Gibson (important in a class A in the snow). The campground is very close to Interstate 81 so the roads are always good to that point, and it is only a short ride to the campground from the interstate. I call in advance, and they always have a spot for me shoveled out, and I have never had any problems getting in or out. I stay here in the wintertime to take advantage of the skiing that Elk Mountain offers. The kids love it, and there is never a long line for the lifts. I even brought a Boy Scout troop up here last year. I hope the owners can make a go of it and continue to make the changes they need. Yes, the campground is a work in progress but the willingness of the owners to work with their guests is admirable. I definitely plan to stay here regularly and very much like the couple that own the facilities. We camped at Shady Rest Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2008 - $25.00

This is a work in progress. At least I hope so because they have a lot of work to do! I think the family that owns it is committed, but they may also just be in their first season, so you need to be prepared for a pretty rustic setting. Hilly, heavily treed. Almost nothing but campsites. A small playground for small children, but otherwise it's a place to park while you're out doing whatever else you came to the Poconos to do. Most sites fairly level, but not all that much. Electric is overhead wires strung between trees, with no more than 15 amp, in wooden boxes hung on trees about 8' above the ground! I was only interested in peace and quiet and seclusion and I got that, so it met my needs. But it sure isn't fancy at all! They say they have WiFi but I was quite close to the main building and had no luck at all. I'd say "no" except that they do have it, in principle. They only take cash! No plastic at all at this time! I missed that on their website, if it's there, but I had cash so I was OK. Be advised. This might make it to an 8 or a 9 one day, for a quiet, remote spot, but IMO it's at least a season away from that at this time. We camped at Shady Rest Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2008 - $28.00

We reluctantly registered to camp here on July 3. The manager did not take credit cards, and required more information on our check than we were really comfortable giving. After registration we learned that the restrooms had burned and the showers and toilets were in the basement of the owners house, down a steep incline. Since these facilities were located a significant distance from our assigned campsite, we asked for our check back and did not stay. We camped at Shady Rest Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2008 - $28.00

New owners have taken over this campground and are doing a super job of upgrading. The roads and sites are well graveled. The creek is beautiful! Check in was easy, staff were friendly. We enjoyed our stay, we would stay here again. We camped at Shady Rest Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Featured Campgrounds Near Shady Rest Campground

Are you affiliated with Shady Rest Campground ?