7 Good

Wawaloam Campground

Elevation: 381' (approximate)
  • Pond Pond yes

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $55.00

We used the park as our home base for our family activities off -site so we did not utilize the most of the parks amenities. Site was large and nice. Staff was very friendly. On site "restaurant" was good but not open every day. We plan on going back when we can spend sometime relaxing at the park. Pool slide looked great but we did not have time to use it and as others have said it is ala cart.

The knocks: my site was very difficult to get into due to trees at entrance to site and a huge rock where my truck needed to swing. With the help of a seasonal RVer and wife I used a semi-perpendicular road for my approach. I was backing blind so their help was greatly appreciated.

This one is stupid but the speed bumps are crazy large! Don't bring your Ferrari or even your Vette...you will hit bottom. :-)

Overall 8.5 rating. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Dirt, Grass

Side note: My RV GPS had me taking an impossibly hard turn with a huge dip right after a turn in the road to get on the back roads leading to the park. At the last second I realized how sharp the turn was and saw all the drag marks in the pavement so I diverted and found a better way. Look at a map to avoid this turn.

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $53.00

Our first stay here, after a recommendation from friends. Wasn't disappointed! Large sites, reasonably priced, clean restrooms & showers. Even had some friendly seasonal campers give me a hand when they saw I had trouble backing in to our site. Camped near the playground and the kids loved it. Very safe-feeling, family-oriented campground. Will go again, and definitely recommend to others. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Playground area
Concrete, Grass

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $50.00

Beautiful grounds, nice pool and big sites. We have two young children who both enjoyed themselves at the playground and pool. My youngest would not try the waterslides, but my son LOVED IT! Our neighbors were helpful backing us into the site. We met lots of nice campers and my kids made friends at the playground. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Spacious, Nearby

A seasonal camper told us we should try the chicken parmesan at their on site restaurant- delicious!

Lck

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $50.00

We recently stayed at Wawaloam, we had never been there before so we didn't know what to expect, just what we had researched on the internet. The site was nice, it was open and spacious. All the sites are back-in only, this can be a difficult because of the trees and rocks, but we made it in without any problems. Our neighbors were friendly. We have (2) children so we were excited about the water slide. The pool was nice and clean, large enough to accommodate a decent amount of people. The water slides were only open for 4 hours on Saturday the weekend we were there but we didn't mind. Our kids had a blast. We didn't really see any staff around and the staff we did interact with were pleasant. The one issue I did have was that the seasonals seem to have run of the park. I understand they pay a decent amount to be there but some were not as welcoming as others. It was like the high school cafeteria at the pool and you're the new kid. One gentleman, and I use that term loosely, even yelled at my son, which I felt was inappropriate. There were a lot of adult activities planned but not many for children. I am by no means a prude but the adult activities at one point concerned me. 2 golf carts full of what appeared to be well intoxicated adults racing around the campground loudly singing while little children attempted to ride bikes was a bit much. Overall we had a good time. We left and went to the beach on Sunday which is about 30 minutes away. The area in which the campground is located is very rural and the roads are slightly narrow. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Dirt, Grass

Date of Stay: July, 2014 - $50.00

Overall a very nice campground. We asked for a secluded site and we were put in the seasonal section. Sure enough, it was very quiet. The site was very spacious and huge fire pits. Water and sewer were easily accessible on the site. The power supply was a little of an issue. Although we were given a 30 amp site, we had our surge protector trip several times with just the a/c and the radio on. The site also had cable, but when we tried to hook up our cable it did not work. Although we do not go camping to use the Internet, a little pet peeve of ours is that this is the 21st century and Wi-Fi should be standard. (We were informed of "hot spots" but could never find them). The campground has 2 rec halls, a very well appointed store, game room, a big swimming pool, a water slides ($), fishing pond. We would camp here again in the future! We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2011 - $48.00

I have to disagree with some of the previous ratings as we had a wonderful time at this camp. The sites are HUGE and the owners could easily split them in half and be "normal" sized. It's true that activities and the water slides are extra $$, but we've been to other campgrounds (KOA's) where it's even more expensive. There are rules (just like most camps) but we did not have anyone stop us when we (knowingly) broke them. We camped with a large group and had a great time and will consider this camp again. I will agree with that there is an ugly turn (GPS instructions) where many cars/trailers have bottomed out! If it were not for this review site, I would have landed in the same intersection. Town Hall Road - easy shortcut to avoid nasty intersection! We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2011 - $61.00

What a disappointment. This campground is nice and clean, but the adult staff was extremely rude. They will charge you for everything and anything they can (dogs, early arrival, etc.) and there are many rules that are ridiculous. We arrived from NY 45 minutes early and were charged and extra $5 to register (only to use 1 1/2 hrs to try to fit into our site). When we got to our "premium" site, our travel trailer would not fit. While we were trying to get it to fit, employees drove by in their golf cart and did not offer help. When we called the office and told them we could not fit, we were told there were no other sites left. Shortly after calling, the same two employees came back and sat in their cart, never exiting and never helping. One of them stated to the other that we didn't need help, since we had others there. Isn't that their job? Thankfully we switched with friends and squeezed into the next site, backing into some shrubbery. We left a message with the owner's sister and even tried to find her at a couple locations, but to no avail. We left a message for her to come to our site but she never came or contacted us. A neighboring camper was overheard arguing with staff who were giving them a hard time about having an extra vehicle on their site. They said that they won't be back, to which the staff member responded, "That's right. You won't." You're apparently only allowed one vehicle, since we too were "scolded" for a neighboring friend's truck too close to ours. Note that many seasonals have 2 vehicles and a golf cart, not to mention all the little yard trinkets, which make it look a bit trashy. Further, if you have a site with "grass", you won't be able to put your carpet out unless it's a small one. No carpets on the grass. In sum, I would not recommend this campground. It's very pricey, and staff are rude and too many ridiculous rules. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2011 - $50.00

This place is trying harder and harder NOT to be family friendly! No tents at all allowed. Everything costs extra. So basically, fun=dollars. Staff is rude and not helpful. Kids practically had to be leashed! Extra money for pets. Not a resort, planned activities are dinners that you had to pay for and dances once in a blue moon. I will not camp here again. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2009 - $46.00

As to the two posters who complained about their GPS taking them the wrong way to the CG. You both state that the CG website offers a better route. How is it the CG's fault that you chose to go by the GPS directions instead of the CG directions? We love this place and will come back again many times. One of the few CG's in New England that include two adults and children in the cost of the site. We enjoy the amount of trees in the CG and the secluded feel that you get while camping here. Very large sites, we stayed on site #37, a grass site. Very level side to side. I didn't even have to use any blocks under my tires and was still level side to side. The only things that would make this a better CG is if the the cost of the water slide was included in the site fee. I would be willing to pay a little more for my site if I didn't have to pay for my kids to use the slide. And if the CG offered sites with cable tv. Even with the new digital converter box the channel selections are a little slim. Overall a great family campground that we have been to 3 times now and will continue to return to. We stayed here in a 30' TT. Combined with my Yukon XL it is pretty long and had no problem getting into or out of the CG or any of the sites that we have been in. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2009 - $64.00

I gave this campground a slightly above average rating due to a few things. Pros: Overall clean; large sites, some with concrete slabs; seasonally campers are pleasant, more helpful than the staff; and a very well laid out campground. Cons: Bring your wallet as everything is extra except for the pool. Water slide is a nice, but not worth $20.00 a day or $5.00 five rides. Mini golf not worth the $3.00, needs updating. Crafts for kid is also extra. Gates are locked at 10pm during the week and 11pm on weekends. There was no mention of this in any park rules or by the staff upon checkin. If you plan to go outside the park, be home by 10pm. Will not return as it's too far to travel for entertainment, 30 plus minutes. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2009 - $60.00

We camped with water/electric/sewer and a slab. The slabs are nice and level. This is a very nice camp ground. It is very clean and has a nice pool. The one thing that gets me is that they have this nice new water slide but charge you extra. $5 for 5 times or $20 for the day. Seems like more and more campgrounds are nickle and dime you. But beside this it was a nice stay. We'll be booking again next year. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2008 - $40.00

We camped in site 78: a Water/Electric/Sewer site. The sites here are some of the largest I've camped at. Lots of room for the kids and a dog. There is a nice sized playground and a nice pool. The new water slides were open. After returning home, I checked their website to see if there was any mention of the cost of the water slide. Nope, not a word. $20.00 each kid a day or $5.00 for 5 rides. Seemed crazy to me. They should have had this on their website: saying there was a charge. But I took my daughter on it for the 5 rides. Should come up with another way, charge $20 a day per site or something. The camp store is good sized and well stocked: ice cream as well as video games. We'll return again next year even if we don't go on the new slide. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2008 - $40.00

This is actually a campground that describes itself as a family campground and means it. The rates, ($40.00) per night water/electric/sewer in the summer, are for 2 adults and 3 children. Too many places call themselves a family campground and then charge extra for the children. This is a very quiet and relaxing campground with plenty for the kids to do. They have a great pool and also two huge water slides. The only complaint about the slides is that they charge extra to use them. It is $5 for 5 rides or $20 for an all day pass. There are a couple of water parks in the area (Ct or NH) that don't charge much more then $20 admission and you get a lot more then 2 slides. If they could lower the price a little I would have given the campground a 9 rating. The sites are large and some what private. The seasonal sites are very well kept. I also think they need to cut back on the number of sites that they allow dogs on. It seems that most campers had their dogs with them and some would be barking early in the morning. We will most definitely be back to this campground again. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2008 - $34.00

The campground was very clean and the staff wasted no time cleaning the sites once campers vacated. The sites were big and easy to access. The bathrooms/showers were very clean and well maintained. The camp store was well stocked, ice cream was very good ! The menu for food at the camp store offered a nice variety and was reasonably priced. The kids enjoyed the waterslide , 5 rides for $5, or $20 for the day. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: September, 2007 - $40.00

Very nice campground! Large sites, most are shaded. The seasonals are well-kept. Very clean campground. Large playground. The pool, waterslide and mini golf were all closed for the season but looked nice. Good location for day trips to Mystic, CT and RI beaches, etc. The only thing I wish they had there is cable TV, but otherwise, I'd go back. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Wawaloam Campground ?