7 Good

Wawaloam Campground

West Kingston, Rhode Island

West Kingston, Rhode Island

Ask fellow campers about "Wawaloam Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $65.00

I saw the other reviews which made me question my reservations at this campground. However our experience was very good. The campground was clean, the pool was large and inviting, the kids enjoyed the water slide (extra charges), and we found the employees to be friendly and helpful. Liked the rock firepits - nice touch. In short it was a nice park and very nice experience. We took day trips to Newport and Mystic.

Ways to improve - we were told the wrong way to enter our site, which made getting in difficult. As others reported, for our 36 foot motorhome the pad was small - so had to be a bit focused on where to place the unit. It appeared that some of the newer sites have bigger pads. You do have to pay for showers, but it was reasonably priced. Although for the total amount we paid they should have been included. There were bugs in the shower which freaked my daughter out - but it is camping after all. The bathhouse (the one we used) was nice. My challenge was the sewer was VERY far from my valve. Had to purchase additional extension hose. One other downside was the wifi was only available/usable in the store and at the community center.

Overall a very good experience and fun few days. Would stay again if in the area. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $63.00

Customer service was snippy, unfriendly. Water pressure non- existent. Can't shower in own unit, showers are a fee. No gray water drain. Cable and pool down for the weekend, no discount. Charge for adult children. Only one vehicle allowed on site. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Peep Toad

clean, short level hike at the Audubon society close by. Good for children.

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $51.00

This is a large, very attractive campground. There's a good mix of sun and shade. The camp sites are wide, though mine some somewhat skimpy fore and aft. What will bring parents is the wide range of activities for kids, not only a swimming pool, but a water slide, and much more. Getting there from Connecticut was short but concerning. My GPS routed me over roads that conscientious traffic planners would not want heavy rigs to drive regularly, and that includes the Gardiner Road that services the campground itself. Perhaps if Google Maps told me more about the roads it routes users onto, I might have avoided some of them. But from the driving I did in the state, it appears that Rhode Island officials have made the decision that they can't afford both to pay themselves competitive salaries and to maintain the roads. My site was satisfactory. It was wide enough for me to back into despite the tree and boulder right across the lane. I did have to park my trailer over the remains of a campfire that had been built there instead of in the fire ring. To be sure the grass and gravel site does not make a clear distinction between the part for trailers and the part for people. If I were the kind of camper that spent a lot of time outside in front of the RV, I would have found that burned ground annoyingly ugly. But I'm not, so for the most part, I didn't notice it. I would have thought that management would have noticed and corrected the burn. But I got the impression that the staff doesn't think along those lines. They proved more surly than friendly. They even have a sign next to the office door that says, in effect, "Don't bother me unless it's very important." A questionable way to greet customers, don't you think? We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $60.00

Very nice campground! Large sites, most are shaded. The seasonals are well-kept. Very clean campground. Large playground. The pool, waterslide and mini golf were all closed for the season but looked nice. Good location for day trips to Mystic, CT and RI beaches, etc. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Wawaloam Campground

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $65.00

This campground is not suitable for big rigs. Way overpriced for a poor campground. First there was no warning on the website or when I called for reservation about taking Exit 5 not Exit 3 on I-95. Coming from the south my GPS had me take Exit 3 which ended up being a difficult series of narrow roads with many overhanding branches hitting my RV to get to the park. Interior roads are paved and most sites are dirt. Some sites have a small concrete pad suitable only for a small trailer. There is no cable on most sites, trees prevent satellite access and no wifi at the sites (hot spots at pool and clubhouse). They have a security gate. None of the amenities - pool or clubhouse were open. When I arrived I was given site 77 whose pad was barely able to get my front and dual wheels on the pad and tag axle wheels were off the pad. Could not get very level. The electric power at this site keep tripping my RV on high voltage so I packed up and left after one night. Park is not very convenient to Newport or Providence. Will not come back. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Motorhome.

Concrete, Dirt
Not big enough for my motorhome

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $50.00

This campground was also highly rated and reported to have many amenities. Well this campground would also qualify as a very family friendly place, as long as your rig is not too big. Many of this campground sites are long term/seasonal campers. We made a reservation for this campground back in January when planning the trip. We specifically provided our RV size and that we requested FHU and a "lightly treed" site. They assured her that it was no problem, and we made the reservation for a week stay. Upon arrival that wasn't exactly what we found. The sites we were given was up at the end of a long narrow road in a cave of trees. When I got backed in we quickly figured out that the site was too small for the motor home to fit on the pad. The site had a cement RV pad that was on a site that was uphill from the road. Only the pad itself was semi level, and the dirt at either end dropped off quickly. No matter where I put the RV, one set of jacks was not on the pad, and into the very off camber dirt. We went back to the office to discuss the issue with the staff (which were very friendly by the way). They looked at their campground map and declared that the site was "too small" for our size rig. With few options available, we took another site, W&E only. I dodged some tree limbs to pull in, and found it too was pretty off camber in both directions. I was able to block the jacks to get us level, but we still were not overly pleased with the site. This one backed up to a large green moss covered water hole, and was next to the play area and campground store which made our site the "pass through" for all the campground traffic to go through. We quickly decided to cut the stay down to 3 days. The site fee included a $3 a day pet fee, which I think is excessive. The restrooms were clean, but old and not handicapped accessible. WiFi was offered for checking email only. The cell signal here was also very weak, so the Verizon air card struggled as well. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Tight Turns, Obstacles, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $50.00

I wanted to comment, because I had read some negative reviews before we went to Wawaloam. We were attending a week-long event in Warwick, and chose to stay in a campground instead of a hotel. We found the sites to be unusually large compared to most campgrounds we've been to, and well-shaded by lots of mature deciduous trees. Staff was friendly and helpful, and rest rooms, showers, and laundry were very clean. Most of the sites, probably 3/4 at least, were seasonal, and the transient sites were as large and well kept as the seasonals. Wifi was only available at the store and the pavilion, but we didn't find that a particular problem. Yes, the speed bumps are quite large, and vehicles did stay at slow speeds. The children biking and playing near us were quite safe. We were pleased with our experience. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Sand, Grass

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $55.00

This is a clean campground within an easy 35-40 minute drive to Newport, RI. We opted for a 30 amp, full hookup site, as their 50 amp sites don't have cable. Not all sites have sewer - only W&E. Our back-in site was spacious and level, but no shade. Most of their sites do have shade. Friendly and easy check-in. There's a lot for kids to do and have fun. Lots of space to walk the dog. The cable was really good but there was no wi-fi at the site. Good Verizon cell service. We would stay here again. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $56.00

Definatly a family friendly park. Lots of kids, it was their Christmas in July event.

The park is off the beaten path and interesting to get too.

The sites are large but a bit hilly.

My biggest gripe is the early arrival charge of $5 an hour and. a $3 per dog charge. Because they can. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Obstacles

The Beavertail Lighthouse is a must see.

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $55.00

We used the park as our home base for our family activities off -site so we did not utilize the most of the parks amenities. Site was large and nice. Staff was very friendly. On site "restaurant" was good but not open every day. We plan on going back when we can spend sometime relaxing at the park. Pool slide looked great but we did not have time to use it and as others have said it is ala cart.

The knocks: my site was very difficult to get into due to trees at entrance to site and a huge rock where my truck needed to swing. With the help of a seasonal RVer and wife I used a semi-perpendicular road for my approach. I was backing blind so their help was greatly appreciated.

This one is stupid but the speed bumps are crazy large! Don't bring your Ferrari or even your Vette...you will hit bottom. :-)

Overall 8.5 rating. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Dirt, Grass

Side note: My RV GPS had me taking an impossibly hard turn with a huge dip right after a turn in the road to get on the back roads leading to the park. At the last second I realized how sharp the turn was and saw all the drag marks in the pavement so I diverted and found a better way. Look at a map to avoid this turn.

Date of Stay: July, 2015 - $46.00

My wife and I use a campground as a base from which to do other things in the area so I can't really address activities those with kids might want to know about. It did appear they had several things going on while we were there. Nice camp store.

The thing we noticed most was the lots are HUGE compared to most other campgrounds. We were there on July 4th weekend and the campground was full. The power was a little wimpy on a hot day. We got down to 107v with the AC on. I switched to gas for the water heater then.

Good cell signal so the cell router worked well. Water pressure was good. We were very late in looking for a site and ended up with a water/electric site, but a honey wagon comes by twice a week for $15 a time. They missed us the first time, but showed up within minutes after I let the office know no one had been there.

All in all, we'd definitely go again. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Safari - 10

There's lots to do, but you need to drive about 20 minutes to get to anything. Jamestown was about 30-35 minutes away. Beautiful area.

Date of Stay: July, 2015 - $45.00

Interesting campground and I find it hard to rate. The previous reviewer covered all of the varying site differences and road conditions so I won't cover them. There are charges for everything: pets cost $3.00 per night, showers cost money, the water slide costs money, they have 2 large clubhouses which are always locked unless you have paid for an activity in them. To use the free wi-fi, you must sit outside the store on picnic tables, at least it is under a roof but can get cold and windy when it rains. For $45 a night, I would think that one could use the clubhouse for wi-fi.

Their website directions send you to Google which gives the wrong directions through a RI park and into the campground the back way. You cannot get to the park using these directions. I mentioned this to the office and the woman didn't seem concerned. Luckily I had called the office in advance and came in the right way.

Our hook-ups were straightforward but leveling was a challenge. There is a well-used picnic table and a fire pit at each campsite. The sites were spacious and grassy. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Motorhome.

Dirt, Grass

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $53.00

Our first stay here, after a recommendation from friends. Wasn't disappointed! Large sites, reasonably priced, clean restrooms & showers. Even had some friendly seasonal campers give me a hand when they saw I had trouble backing in to our site. Camped near the playground and the kids loved it. Very safe-feeling, family-oriented campground. Will go again, and definitely recommend to others. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Playground area
Concrete, Grass

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $60.00

Very frustrating arrangement of sites. Some have sewer, others don't. You have to choose between 30 amp with cable or 50 amp without cable. Satellite unlikely at most sites. We could not get it. Most sites are dirt but some have pads, but they are small and except for one 30 amp site (292), only offered on 50 amp sites! We could not get both sets of jacks on the pad in our 43' motor home. There is WiFi, which works well, but it is not available at the sites, only at the general store and pavilion. Huge park, mostly seasonal/2nd homes that are very well kept. Main roads are paved but some of the side roads leading to sites are not and parking your RV is a little challenging. The check in area is really tight. You basically stop in the road, hop out, go to a small security booth to pay and get instructions, and hope no one else comes in behind you. Restrooms are very nice. 25 cents per five minutes for showers, which are huge. Great amenities for the kids and the grounds are kept up nicely. Lots of grassy areas. Staff was very friendly. Thursday dinner and Sunday breakfast offered at the pavilion. Check website for directions. GPS and Google did not offer the best route. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Motorhome.

2 campers found this review helpful. Do you? Yes No Undo

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $50.00

Beautiful grounds, nice pool and big sites. We have two young children who both enjoyed themselves at the playground and pool. My youngest would not try the waterslides, but my son LOVED IT! Our neighbors were helpful backing us into the site. We met lots of nice campers and my kids made friends at the playground. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Spacious, Nearby

A seasonal camper told us we should try the chicken parmesan at their on site restaurant- delicious!

Featured Campgrounds Near Wawaloam Campground

Are you affiliated with Wawaloam Campground ?