Wawaloam Campground

West Kingston, Rhode Island

West Kingston, Rhode Island

Ask fellow campers about "Wawaloam Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $51.00

This is a large, very attractive campground. There's a good mix of sun and shade. The camp sites are wide, though mine some somewhat skimpy fore and aft. What will bring parents is the wide range of activities for kids, not only a swimming pool, but a water slide, and much more. Getting there from Connecticut was short but concerning. My GPS routed me over roads that conscientious traffic planners would not want heavy rigs to drive regularly, and that includes the Gardiner Road that services the campground itself. Perhaps if Google Maps told me more about the roads it routes users onto, I might have avoided some of them. But from the driving I did in the state, it appears that Rhode Island officials have made the decision that they can't afford both to pay themselves competitive salaries and to maintain the roads. My site was satisfactory. It was wide enough for me to back into despite the tree and boulder right across the lane. I did have to park my trailer over the remains of a campfire that had been built there instead of in the fire ring. To be sure the grass and gravel site does not make a clear distinction between the part for trailers and the part for people. If I were the kind of camper that spent a lot of time outside in front of the RV, I would have found that burned ground annoyingly ugly. But I'm not, so for the most part, I didn't notice it. I would have thought that management would have noticed and corrected the burn. But I got the impression that the staff doesn't think along those lines. They proved more surly than friendly. They even have a sign next to the office door that says, in effect, "Don't bother me unless it's very important." A questionable way to greet customers, don't you think? We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $60.00

Very nice campground! Large sites, most are shaded. The seasonals are well-kept. Very clean campground. Large playground. The pool, waterslide and mini golf were all closed for the season but looked nice. Good location for day trips to Mystic, CT and RI beaches, etc. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $50.00

I wanted to comment, because I had read some negative reviews before we went to Wawaloam. We were attending a week-long event in Warwick, and chose to stay in a campground instead of a hotel. We found the sites to be unusually large compared to most campgrounds we've been to, and well-shaded by lots of mature deciduous trees. Staff was friendly and helpful, and rest rooms, showers, and laundry were very clean. Most of the sites, probably 3/4 at least, were seasonal, and the transient sites were as large and well kept as the seasonals. Wifi was only available at the store and the pavilion, but we didn't find that a particular problem. Yes, the speed bumps are quite large, and vehicles did stay at slow speeds. The children biking and playing near us were quite safe. We were pleased with our experience. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Sand, Grass

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $55.00

This is a clean campground within an easy 35-40 minute drive to Newport, RI. We opted for a 30 amp, full hookup site, as their 50 amp sites don't have cable. Not all sites have sewer - only W&E. Our back-in site was spacious and level, but no shade. Most of their sites do have shade. Friendly and easy check-in. There's a lot for kids to do and have fun. Lots of space to walk the dog. The cable was really good but there was no wi-fi at the site. Good Verizon cell service. We would stay here again. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Wawaloam Campground

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $56.00

Definatly a family friendly park. Lots of kids, it was their Christmas in July event.

The park is off the beaten path and interesting to get too.

The sites are large but a bit hilly.

My biggest gripe is the early arrival charge of $5 an hour and. a $3 per dog charge. Because they can. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Obstacles

The Beavertail Lighthouse is a must see.

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $55.00

We used the park as our home base for our family activities off -site so we did not utilize the most of the parks amenities. Site was large and nice. Staff was very friendly. On site "restaurant" was good but not open every day. We plan on going back when we can spend sometime relaxing at the park. Pool slide looked great but we did not have time to use it and as others have said it is ala cart.

The knocks: my site was very difficult to get into due to trees at entrance to site and a huge rock where my truck needed to swing. With the help of a seasonal RVer and wife I used a semi-perpendicular road for my approach. I was backing blind so their help was greatly appreciated.

This one is stupid but the speed bumps are crazy large! Don't bring your Ferrari or even your Vette...you will hit bottom. :-)

Overall 8.5 rating. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Dirt, Grass

Side note: My RV GPS had me taking an impossibly hard turn with a huge dip right after a turn in the road to get on the back roads leading to the park. At the last second I realized how sharp the turn was and saw all the drag marks in the pavement so I diverted and found a better way. Look at a map to avoid this turn.

Date of Stay: July, 2015 - $45.00

Interesting campground and I find it hard to rate. The previous reviewer covered all of the varying site differences and road conditions so I won't cover them. There are charges for everything: pets cost $3.00 per night, showers cost money, the water slide costs money, they have 2 large clubhouses which are always locked unless you have paid for an activity in them. To use the free wi-fi, you must sit outside the store on picnic tables, at least it is under a roof but can get cold and windy when it rains. For $45 a night, I would think that one could use the clubhouse for wi-fi.

Their website directions send you to Google which gives the wrong directions through a RI park and into the campground the back way. You cannot get to the park using these directions. I mentioned this to the office and the woman didn't seem concerned. Luckily I had called the office in advance and came in the right way.

Our hook-ups were straightforward but leveling was a challenge. There is a well-used picnic table and a fire pit at each campsite. The sites were spacious and grassy. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Motorhome.

Dirt, Grass

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $60.00

Very frustrating arrangement of sites. Some have sewer, others don't. You have to choose between 30 amp with cable or 50 amp without cable. Satellite unlikely at most sites. We could not get it. Most sites are dirt but some have pads, but they are small and except for one 30 amp site (292), only offered on 50 amp sites! We could not get both sets of jacks on the pad in our 43' motor home. There is WiFi, which works well, but it is not available at the sites, only at the general store and pavilion. Huge park, mostly seasonal/2nd homes that are very well kept. Main roads are paved but some of the side roads leading to sites are not and parking your RV is a little challenging. The check in area is really tight. You basically stop in the road, hop out, go to a small security booth to pay and get instructions, and hope no one else comes in behind you. Restrooms are very nice. 25 cents per five minutes for showers, which are huge. Great amenities for the kids and the grounds are kept up nicely. Lots of grassy areas. Staff was very friendly. Thursday dinner and Sunday breakfast offered at the pavilion. Check website for directions. GPS and Google did not offer the best route. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Motorhome.

2 campers found this review helpful. Do you? Yes No Undo

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $50.00

Beautiful grounds, nice pool and big sites. We have two young children who both enjoyed themselves at the playground and pool. My youngest would not try the waterslides, but my son LOVED IT! Our neighbors were helpful backing us into the site. We met lots of nice campers and my kids made friends at the playground. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Spacious, Nearby

A seasonal camper told us we should try the chicken parmesan at their on site restaurant- delicious!

Date of Stay: July, 2014 - $45.00

This campground is very wooded with 2/3 of the sites being seasonals. The sites are very roomy and our site #24 was downright huge. It had a picnic table and fire ring. It was completely shady with large trees that did not interfere with our roof or our 4 slides. Our backyard view was the pond. It was close to the store, laundry, Wi-Fi hotspot, and bathhouse. The only bad part was we only had 30 amp and the voltage was running low the entire 3 weeks we were there so we were afraid to use our AC. Fortunately the weather was cool enough at night that we did not need it. We stayed here 3 years ago and the water slide and mini golf were in dire need of repairs. Those repairs have been done along with repaving of the roads. All in all I think it is a nice campground and would stay here again. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2014 - $52.00

Very nice park. Sites were huge but it was a bit difficult to level. Very clean and quiet. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2014 - $50.00

Overall a very nice campground. We asked for a secluded site and we were put in the seasonal section. Sure enough, it was very quiet. The site was very spacious and huge fire pits. Water and sewer were easily accessible on the site. The power supply was a little of an issue. Although we were given a 30 amp site, we had our surge protector trip several times with just the a/c and the radio on. The site also had cable, but when we tried to hook up our cable it did not work. Although we do not go camping to use the Internet, a little pet peeve of ours is that this is the 21st century and Wi-Fi should be standard. (We were informed of "hot spots" but could never find them). The campground has 2 rec halls, a very well appointed store, game room, a big swimming pool, a water slides ($), fishing pond. We would camp here again in the future! We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2011 - $48.00

I have to disagree with some of the previous ratings as we had a wonderful time at this camp. The sites are HUGE and the owners could easily split them in half and be "normal" sized. It's true that activities and the water slides are extra $$, but we've been to other campgrounds (KOA's) where it's even more expensive. There are rules (just like most camps) but we did not have anyone stop us when we (knowingly) broke them. We camped with a large group and had a great time and will consider this camp again. I will agree with that there is an ugly turn (GPS instructions) where many cars/trailers have bottomed out! If it were not for this review site, I would have landed in the same intersection. Town Hall Road - easy shortcut to avoid nasty intersection! We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Travel Trailer.

2 campers found this review helpful. Do you? Yes No Undo

Date of Stay: August, 2010 - $40.00

Our second trip this month to this campground. The prices are very reasonable and everything you want is very close. The activities, pool, waterslide, mini golf all very affordable. This is the best secure facility I have ever been to. Gates close: just get a gate card to re-enter. A great place! We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2010 - $48.00

We just spent our first weekend at this campground. The previous review was accurate. You need to be back by 10 PM. We were informed of this at check in. They also offer a gate card for a $20 deposit which will get you back in after 10 PM. We actually really loved this place and wanted to give it a higher rating but held back since we had no cable hookup or Wi-Fi. I know it's not a big deal when camping but we enjoy catching news before bed or at least reading our local paper online. The sites were very nice and huge. The Friday night dinner and Sunday morning breakfast were excellent. We will be back in August. We camped at Wawaloam Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Featured Campgrounds Near Wawaloam Campground

Are you affiliated with Wawaloam Campground ?