Hunting Island State Park

• Sewer Sewer no
  • Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities no
  • Beach Beach yes
  • Outdoor Courts Outdoor Courts yes

Ask fellow campers about "Hunting Island State Park" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: April, 2018 - $40.00

The pluses for this park: beautiful, clean beach. Nice facilities. The rest rooms and showers are clean, good park store, very quiet, dark sky at night, good wifi. The minuses: interior roads are a little rough, some sites very difficult to back into, no sewer, no cable (but OTA was pretty good). Neutral: employees. If you get site 121, it can only be accessed by going the wrong way around the park road loop. The office probably will not tell you that. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Gravel, Dirt, Sand

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Obstacles, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: April, 2018 - $45.00

I stayed at this park on a pretty busy weekend, but it was very peaceful and quiet. The park is right on the beach. The hurricanes wiped out the sites right by the water and won't replace them, but many sites have a clear view of the ocean. The only negative thing about this park is that the stuff that is no longer functional don't have any signs to tell you what's up. For instance there is a sewage dump station I was within 2 minutes of using that is no longer hooked up to the sewage system. Luckily, another camper told me. I asked about it at registration and the guy said, "I keep telling my boss they need to mark it because people keep using it." My daughter went into a bathroom full of raw sewage that was supposed to be locked up because it was out of order. The bathrooms that have been repaired are very clean and nice. I think they'll eventually get rid of the post-hurricane buildings and sewer stuff. Before that signs should be put up. I will definitely camp at this park again. It would be great for beach loving little kids and families. My site was 127 and it had a view of the ocean and was in a nice little private nook. The back of the site was completely private and there are no sites behind it. I was able to park parallel to the street blocking the view of passer-by people. You can drive golf carts around the park and they even have special golf cart parking beach side. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Motorhome.

Asphalt, Gravel

Park your vehicle, load up your beach cart, take a very short walk to the beach and never have to drive anywhere until you're ready to go home.

Date of Stay: February, 2018 - $21.00

There is a lot of damage from the hurricane. Many trees down. Several sites were damaged beyond repair and will not be fixed. But the sites further away from the water were nice. Spacing was not close. Ours had a new electric box. Lot of things to see on the island. We will return. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Motorhome.

---
Sand

Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $40.00

The grounds certainly took a beating from the hurricane last year. Many trees gone, underbrush gone, no more waterfront sites. Most of the sites lost the greenery which provided more privacy between sites. The park personnel was a mixed bag of competence and professionalism. The beach is still wonderful - 4 miles of sand and surf that is only accessible to the campground and day use visitors. Wifi is excellent. This is the first time I've visited in the summer, I usually visit in November and February, so typically no bugs. The mosquitos were very bad this time, so I don't know if this is the norm for the summer months. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Travel Trailer.

There's a new Walmart about 15 miles back toward town, many small seafood stands/markets between the campground and town. A couple of restaurants within 3-4 miles that have pretty good food and atmosphere. Nearby is Camelot Farms where you take a horseback trail ride or board your own horse.

Featured Campgrounds Near Hunting Island State Park

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $33.00

What an amazing campground and stunning views. When we camped, the park was booked full, even during the week. We had a second row to beach site. It was a smaller site and our 17 foot PUP fit just right. The water hook ups seem to have been run over a time or two, however were in working order. We did not use our fire pit as it was averaging in high 90's and low 80's at night - plus the site was not configured well for PUP bunk ends. Our bunk end was positioned over the ring. Not much privacy here at the park, but who cares, you're right on the beach. I know that Hurricane Matthew has now taken away the vast majority of the beach sites, but I will absolutely return to the park regardless. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Tent Trailer.

Sand, Grass
Not big enough for my tent trailer

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $32.00

Absolutely loved this park! It sits right on the ocean and the beach is never crowded because it is just for the campground only! The staff was super nice, check in was a breeze. This park is beautiful with huge trees and palms everywhere. The only caution I would give is that the roads through the park are narrow and curvy so take your time to maneuver through it. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $38.00

I will say that we have visited Hunting Island every year for nine consecutive years. I have always rated the park highly, but not this time. This park's location is incredible, but without serious investment by the state if South Carolina, this park will continue to degrade. The bathhouses are 10 years overdue for refurbishment. Due to ongoing beach erosion, when there are heavy rains (common in the coast) water will collect and flood many campsites. For two years now we have witnessed many tent campers have there entire site end up under 4-6 inches of water. The state knows these sites are flood prone yet they continue to rent them out to unsuspecting families who end up having to pack up and leave after a heavy rain. The roads need work and I would estimate 90% of the campsites need releveling to eliminate the low areas that hold standing water. The campground hosts as well as the Rangers and staff are top notch. They deal with so many guests dealing with poor conditions and should be commended. Hunting Island generates more revenue for SC than any other park, yet every year funds are withheld to bring the facilities up to date and renourish the beach. My family and I love this place, my kids have grown up here, but this may have been our last trip here until something is done to fix the problems. I really feel like South Carolina is simply stealing tourists dollars at this point and if they don't address the problems immediately, Mother Nature is going to reclaim this incredible campground. I hope the state will act soon. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Motorhome.

Fire Ring

Surf fishing, great food locally, plenty of fresh fish and seafood. The campground store is well stocked with t-shirts and gifts. For a day trip, Hilton Head Island is an hour away.

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $32.00

Let me begin by stating, if you come prepared, your stay will be a great one. Yes, there are plenty of mosquitoes and No-See-Um's for everyone. We used a Thermacell and a large fan while sitting outside and had no problem. We did not have to use spray on insect repellent. There were a few things that I did not like about the campground; very few of the sites I saw were level but with a few boards it should not be a problem. Many of the sites had standing, stagnate, water either on the site or nearby, a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Our site, and those around us, had mud on the site. A little gravel on almost all of the sites would go a long way toward improvements. The roads are paved but can be very narrow in places. If you take your time you should have no problem. Some sites are a little tight to back into because of a few trees. We did have one issue with a large dog that was left outside all the time and barked non-stop. After several complaints, the rangers did make a visit which helped the situation. Overall, the staff we had contact with were very nice and knowledgeable. The wildlife within the park is unbelievable! Deer would walk right up to your campsite. If you are not careful, the raccoons will enjoy anything not properly stored. The beach is a short walk from any campsite and they are wonderful. Best of all, they are not over crowded. Park WiFi was ok if you were near one of the buildings. AT&T/LTE service was ok, usually 1-2 bars. 50 amp service was good along with water pressure. The park store was one of the better stocked stores for a state park. Aside from the usual T-shirts and hats, they had soft drinks, milk, eggs, and other grocery items. Overall, this really is a great park and we will return. I do wish they had sewer connections. They do have two dump stations. The park was clean and well organized. Each time I visited the bathhouse, they were clean and well stocked. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Do visit the lighthouse and walk the trail to the "Little Blue House."
The Shrimp Shack just outside the park is good.
For something different, the Gullah restaurant a few miles toward Beaufort is good. I recommend the shark strips.

Date of Stay: March, 2016 - $42.00

If you like beaches, this campground is for you. Quite a few of the campsites are on or within view of the beach. The rest are a short walk away. Along most of the beach, the dunes have been completely eroded away. It looks like some of the campsites have been down-sized to tent sites as a result. The beach is huge at low tide, and thin at high tide. You can walk or ride your bicycle on the sand beach to the lighthouse at low tide. Along the way you pass a forest of dead tree trunks in what must have once been a maritime forest. The campground and entire park are meticulously maintained. The staff and camp hosts were very friendly and helpful. Our campsite was easy to pull into and the utilities were convenient and easy to reach. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2016 - $33.00

Beautiful state park, the beach is beyond perfect! Hard pack sand makes walking and biking a breeze! The camp sites are pretty nice. Some can be a little difficult to get into to. There are a few that are slanted the wrong way and the only safe way of getting into them is going the wrong direction on the loop road. By and large most sites are decent and you will not have problems. There is also a decent amount of space between most sites. The sites along the beach are to die for! Only two sites I saw had sewer and they were for handicap. If more sites had sewer I would have given it a 10. No see-ims can be a problem. When we arrived ( mid March) they covered us and our RV. We lite up our Thermcell and the disappeared never to be seen again. I suspect they come out after a rain and disappear when drier air comes in. The bottom line is this, if you love the beach and your a beach person you need to be here. Its really as simple as that! We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Sand

Date of Stay: March, 2016 - $40.00

The state park ranks as an overall 10 in all areas. Unbelievable access to the beach. We were in site 6 and we could see the Atlantic Ocean from our MH. There were tents directly across the street from our site but it did not block our view of the waves crashing on the sand. The campground was very quiet in the evening. Must visit see areas in the park are the visitor's center, the lighthouse and the marsh walk in the evening to catch the sunset. I hope to return to the area again very soon. If you are in a big rig the roads getting to the sites are tight. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Motorhome.

Must do....Historical carriage ride in Beaufort, Penn Center, walking the beautiful town of Beaufort. Great restaurants near the campground. Our favorite was Johnson Creek Tavern which is just right outside the park. Sunrises are stunning and the empty beaches in March were like picture postcards.

2 campers found this review helpful. Do you? Yes No Undo

Date of Stay: July, 2015 - $35.00

This is a beautiful state park on the Atlantic Ocean. There are lots of large shaded sites and a wonderful light house to visit. Walking the beach is our favorite past time. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Gravel, Dirt, Sand

Historic Beaufort is a wonderful town to visit as are several great local artisan shops close to camp. There is a local seafood place, Gays, very close for fresh shrimp and more.

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $28.00

This is a wonderful park on the ocean with a most beautiful beach with some of the most spectacular sunrises on the Atlantic. However, two cons are the tight fit of campgrounds but the view and locale make up for this. Plan to spend most of your time enjoying the public beach and do walk to the driftwood beach on your way to the lighthouse. The second criticism is the state of the restrooms and bathhouses. They are severely out of date and so old they are surely hard to keep clean. No way to dry your hands, for example, too. A big plus is that you can climb the lighthouse and dogs are welcome on the beach. The staff is very friendly and the grounds well kept. We stayed in a 24' motorhome, but if you have a big rig be sure to request a large enough site. Very tight quarters--but the beauty of the park makes up for it. We will make this a regular visit. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Motorhome.

Plums in Bufort is a great place for lunch.

Date of Stay: March, 2015 - $25.00

Great park, very clean and right on the beach, no matter which site you choose. There are two bridges you must cross prior to the park, the first one is quite narrow, and 35mph. I drove it in a 40'DP, no room, and thankfully did not meet any large rigs going the other way. The second bridge is no problem. Maneuvering throughout the park is fine, just need to go slow, but plenty of other large rigs in the park. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Motorhome.

Dirt, Sand

Convenient to the beach! 30 minutes too downtown Beaufort. Great place to relax.

3 campers found this review helpful. Do you? Yes No Undo

Date of Stay: February, 2015 - $35.00

What else can you say about this SP, Hunting Island is just plain great! Nice beaches, trails, camping spot felt like you were on some tropical island. I wasn't on the beach, but that is fine, I'll try the beach sites next time as this was a last minute stop for 2 nights. The lighthouse was really cool to walk up and around at the top. Great photo ops everywhere! Get up early for super sunrise pics! Bath house near my spot needs a major overhaul, but overall, no complaints. 50amp service and the 110v worked great. I will return for a longer stay. We camped at Hunting Island State Park in a Motorhome.

Spacious, Nearby
Mostly Shady, Covered Forested

Featured Campgrounds Near Hunting Island State Park

Are you affiliated with Hunting Island State Park ?