Blacksburg, South Carolina

• Electric (50 AMP) Electric (50 AMP) no
  • Sewer Sewer no
  • Hiking Hiking yes

Date of Stay: November, 2016 - $17.00

After the wild fires in North Carolina forced our plans for Thanksgiving to be cancelled, we decided to visit Kings Mountain State Park for the holiday weekend. We were pleased with both the park and the campground. We had a pull through site at the north end of the campground. When checking in, the attendant said they were nearly full with reservations. However, the weather and fire ban must have kept many of the camper away. We gratefully accepted the smaller crowds. The site was what one would expect from a state park. There was a fire pit and picnic table. The site faced the woods and had water and electric at the site. The bathhouse was a short walk from our site. It was older, but generally clean throughout the weekend. There was no heat in the bathhouse, which made for cool evenings, but there was hot water for showers. The campground was older but in good shape. The trails and activities in the park were wonderful. We enjoyed the playgrounds, lakes, and hiking trails. The camp store had essentials and was convenient. The proximity to Kings Mountain National Battlefield was truly a plus and made our stay educational, as well as enjoyable. I would like to return in the late spring of summer. We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Tent Trailer.

Quite a bit longer than my tent trailer and tow vehicle

Blackwood's Drive-In in Kings Mountain is a hidden gem for burgers and sandwiches.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $14.00

We have stayed here twice as it was our first time camping and didn't want to go far from home. It was about 45 minutes away. We love this place. The camper hosts are friendly and very helpful. The sites are clean and mostly level. Most sites are shaded with some gravel. Sites have fire rings, picnic tables, electric hook ups and a few have sewer hookups.

Wifi reception is only good at the store. The store sells fire wood and ice cream. The check in/store man could use a smile on his face, as he wasn't very friendly either time I had to go in the store. We will be coming back here. It is like being in a different world just a short drive up the road. We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Travel Trailer.

3 and 82

Use exit #8 not #2 much easier to get to this way.

A quaint little country store down the road that sells everything. Even has a small restaurant. Has beautiful pocketbooks!!

The town of Gastonia has a great fish place called Love's Boat, be hungry when you go!

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $21.00

The access into the park is through a 1/2 mile 1-1/2 car wide road. Large RVs might find the interior roads difficult. Need to watch the trees. Very close to the Kings Mountain Battlefield. We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Tight Turns, Poor Conditions

Be sure and visit the Kings Mountain Battlefield. They have a 23 minute video and a handicap accessible walkway through the battlefield.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $26.00

Very friendly park. Great trails to walk dogs. Lots are spacious, covered and forested. Sites are dirt, featuring a fire ring and picnic table. Restrooms and showers were clean. We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2014 - $22.00

Have stayed here many times over the years,but only in the spring and fall. Campground is heavily wooded, but hot and muggy in the summer. Some sites need several boards to level. We camped during the annual Halloween activities weekend. Campground was full, as sites were reserved many months ahead, and most were decorated for the occasion. Some new gravel rock dust had been put down, and only added to the dusty conditions. We checked out after 1pm and was no waiting at either of the two dump stations on the road out. Will camp here again. We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: September, 2014 - $22.00

Be aware that some sites are very difficult to get into even though very spacious. Be sure to have a lot of leveling equipment, also. The shower house in loop 2 did not have a second curtain for privacy when showering. We found another house that did have both the shower and privacy curtains. My husband's shower knob came off so he fixed it. Good hot water. Most sites are beautiful. This was a very quiet campground although it was 50% full. We enjoyed the neighboring park's museum about Kings Mountain Battlefield and hiking trails in both the state and national parks. We would camp here again. We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2014 - $25.00

We are staying in this park ONLY BECAUSE OUR SON LIVES CLOSE TO PARK. We visit this park about twice a year for this reason. We can't find another campground in this area.I think their policy for maintenance in this park is, NO MAINTENANCE. Be very careful driving in this park, there are LARGE holes in the roads. More so on paved portion into park. I mean deep ones. The rest rooms are clean, hosts do a good job with what they have to work with. If you use bathhouse at night, the lights are sensor controlled. They are on a timer and you will find yourself setting in the dark. Also never any towels,no trash cans, or blower to dry hands. Also when making reservation SC has a very high registration fee. Cost us $18. Fee for 11 nights. Other maintenance problems, too numerous to go into. I would not recommend this park. We have 34ft unit, but really no problem getting into park even with all the trees. We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: April, 2014 - $19.00

We had a great time here. The park and restrooms were clean. They had some activities for the kids at the campground as well as hiking and things to do at the State Park and the Kings Mountain National Military Park. It is impossible to do it all in one weekend so we will be planning more trips. We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2013 - $22.00

Wonderful park! Glad our rig is only 24 foot, do not think we would have been able to drive the loops with a bigger one. Sites are nice, plenty of privacy and nicely shaded, too. That was good because we stayed there on one of the hottest days this year. The walk to the living farm is deeply shaded and perfectly doable, a family with small kids did it easily. The self guided tour on the farm is a bit simple, but still fun. Too far to walk to the battle site. You really need auxiliary transportation for that. We did it on our way out. GREAT museum/visitor center and film. Must see! The lake at the campground is small and has rental paddle boats and canoes, but unfortunately no swimming allowed. We didn't go to the other lake, again it was darn hot and too far. Overall, wonderful place. We'll be back when it has cooled down! We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: April, 2013 - $21.00

Although in a beautiful setting, I cannot recommend this campground - especially for big rigs! Even the campground hosts talk about the lack of maintenance and other problems here. The roads are in bad shape, and most aggravating to me, was the low-hanging branches that scraped the roof, sides and antennas on my RV. They are right over the middle of the road, so unavoidable. Come on, how hard is it to get up there and trim the trees? The apparent "zero maintenance policy" for roads, sites, and trees is a major problem here. Most sites are not even close to level - bring all the lumber you can carry! The water pressure at my site (#27), was abysmal - 20 psi. Hello? That's not even usable so I had to supplement it with my pump during the entire stay. The 30-amp service was good, though, with strong voltage. No sewer, but two very narrow dump stations are available. The sites are closer together than most of the state parks I've been to. Each site has a picnic table and fire pit, and the office sells firewood, which is nice. My amplified MiFi using Verizon worked well, but unamplified reception on my Verizon phone was only one bar. There is no noise from major roads due to the campground's isolation. Bathrooms are old and not cleaned daily. The showers were not so good - no shelves for soap/shampoo, and no privacy at the bench outside of the stall. I didn't like or use them. There are many miles of nice hiking trails and paved roads for bicycling. The staff was friendly. The nearest stores and services I found were in Clover, which is about 11 miles from the campground. Finally, the "no alcohol allowed in the park" rule is ridiculous. I can understand not wanting people walking around the park with alcoholic beverages, but I can't have a glass of wine at my own site or even in my RV? Doesn't work for me. Too bad about this campground. There is a lot of potential if some money were spent to fix it up. Unless that happens, I would not consider returning. We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2012 - $18.00

Stayed 4 nights over Labor day weekend. This park is located in a beautiful setting; will maintained, great staff and many LARGE sites. On the negative side many of the sites on the outer perimeter in ‘Section A’ are seriously un-level. Sites are sand / clay. Site 86 A, is a large, tight, pull through. The site was private. However, it was externally un-level. I had to lift the passenger’s side tires six inches to level. We hiked the Farm Trail from the RV Campground to the Live Farm. Was interesting: look it up. 3 miles total, easy hike. Restroom was aging but clean, no soap in the restrooms but a blow hand drier. Bath was clean, big, however could use some hooks for cloth. Cell service was Verizon, low signal strength and goes between 3G and 1X. Very slow for data. Internet access through Verizon Hotspot. No other available. Basic shopping, groceries, etc. was 5 to 8 miles away. Restaurants in nearby cities but most dining is in Gastonia NC, 12/15 miles. Would I return? Yes: a very nice park but I would try to stay in sites 42, 44, 46, 48. Good sites and level. We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: October, 2010 - $22.00

I hate to give this such a low rating because it had a nice family atmosphere. I was very disappointed in the condition of the roads and campsites. Compared to Lake Wateree and Dreher Island State Park it is in desperate need of an overhaul. The amenities are in great shape, but the roads and sites are a mess. The whole place is a dust bowl. The main road is not paved and is in need of a new top layer of gravel. The sites are even worse. We had site 70, which was for a 35 ft rig, it was so unlevel that a six foot person could walk under the front end of our fifth wheel standing straight up. We needed an extra step to get out of the trailer in addition to the 3 stationary ones. I doubt this lack of maintenance is due to the economy, it is obvious the state has focused on other parks during the boom times. It is a shame because it is a nice park that is always full. The least they could do is put some money back into the park to provide adequate site setups for all types of rigs. We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: October, 2009 - $21.00

This is a great park and I love it. However the park is going down hill. The upkeep of the park is poor at best. The park is not big rig friendly. The sights are not level and you don't know where the parking is. Also the campground host are not friendly they are the ones who run the park and will let you know it. If the management would take charge and treat the campers with the respect they deserve it would be perfect. We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: April, 2009 - $25.00

We love this campground!! it's close to home for a nice weekend get away! The park is always clean and full with families having a nice time. I would like to mention the lady from the general store. She's always nice, polite and professional. I love chatting with her when I'm checking in, and picking up some last minute supplies. The sites are all shaded, pretty level and easy to access. We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: March, 2009 - $18.00

This is one of the nicer State Parks we've stayed in. The sites are very nice, lots of trees, fire rings & picnic tables are in good condition. Very family friendly. Quiet hours are very quiet, unlike some other parks we've stayed in. There was a dutch oven cooking demo by one of the Live Farm workers which was fabulous! Very nice staff and overall a very beautiful park! The park is just a short drive from Kings Mountain National Park which has a great museum and trails. The only reason I didn't give this park a full 10 stars is because the bathrooms could use a little work. Some were closed for the season and the ones that were open could use some tidying up. No where near "dirty" and much better than a lot of bathrooms I've seen in parks, but it did have a little wear and tear. This park is definitely a keeper and we'll be going back again this year with the extended family (and hopefully to catch more dutch oven cooking!) We camped at Kings Mountain State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Kings Mountain State Park?