Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA

Recent Rate: $42 5/2015

Latitude: 35.0616174194171
Longitude: -80.9652042388916

• Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?

Wolfpacker

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $42.00

Our family has enjoyed this campground for many years but no more as the campground quality has significantly declined over the last couple years. KOA should remove this campground from their system as it no meets the standards expected from a KOA. What once was a clean, well maintained, family friendly campground is no more. The jumping pillow and mini-golf have been removed. The playground was unavailable and the pool was closed for renovation but appears to have been "under construction" for quite some time now. Upon entering you are told to go to a new office but a sign there redirects you back across a parking lot to a store to register. An escort to your site is no longer provided. Our site was listed as a back-in site but due to the reconfiguration of the campground to intersect a number of sites in the front with a chain link fence, it would have been impossible to back my motorhome into the site if required. Fortunately no one was on the adjacent site and I was able to pull through (many of the sites are listed as pull-through but become back-in if campers are placed on both the front and rear of the site). The lack of another camper in the adjacent site was also fortunate since the water bib did not work at our site and I had to run an extra length of water hose across my site to use the water at the other site. The site was also littered with cigarette butts. My wife used the restrooms during a peak demand time in the motorhome and found them clean but also discovered that three of the five showers didn't work. Cable TV worked well but Time Warner is switching many of their channels to digital and you will soon need an adapter to view them. We didn't use much of the free Wi-Fi but performance was acceptable. Overall, we were very disappointed in our experience this time and will visit another nearby campground on our next visit to the area. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Yosemite Sam

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $45.00

Pay attention to the one entrance sign if you're coming from the interstate. It advises to take the second turn. If you're coming from the opposite direction you would have to know where the turn is otherwise you'll be past it by the time you recognize the turn. After entering, the roads quickly go from good to poor. If you stop at the little building on the left that appears to be the check-in location you are then greeted with a sign on the door that says "closed" and to check-in at the

adjoining convenience store/bar. You'll have to walk about a block to get there as there is not a big rig friendly parking lot. Upon arriving at the store/bar I had to wait while the one employee finished her conversation on the phone and conducted convenience store business. Once I was attended to (with several people waiting behind me to check in) I

had to go through the whole check-in routine with name rank and serial number even though I was preregistered online and I am a VK card VIP card holder and even though my reservation print out was staring them in the face on the counter

in front of them. I could read it myself upside down!

We were staying over a week so I asked if all the charges included all the discounts and I was assured it did. I had also reserved a concrete Premier pull-through. What I got was an unlevel, gravel "shared" pull-through. I was also supposed to get a $10 day on the weekend which I didn't get until I pointed

out later that it wasn't deducted and was told it was because I was on a gravel pull-through and not one of their "premier" sites...I won't even go there....

The WiFi was totally non-functional. If you were "lucky" enough to get connected it didn't stay that way for long. It was useless.

You are not provided with an escort to guide you to your site. You're on your own to figure it out. We had to stop a race cart driver (park employee) and ask him how to get to our site. He didn't volunteer to guide us either. He was apparently too busy. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

The Stephens

Date of Stay: March, 2015 - $42.00

The park needed some work, but the lots were small more like a parking lot, close together, just enough room between units for picnic table. At check in you had to walk to a convenience store to check in. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Stores and eating placed within 2 to 3 miles

sportscoach 1

Date of Stay: March, 2015 - $42.00

The reviews on this campground were not the best for a KOA but we decided to stay anyway. We only had 30 amp, water pressure was OK, site was level, easy to get around with MH and toad. Now for the rest of the story. An older couple pulled in with a class C. The lady got out and started to hook up, the older gentleman had trouble walking and then a young man from the KOA came by and did all the work getting them ready for the night. This was just something I never saw in all my years of traveling. A special thanks to this young man and this KOA. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

OKeadle

Date of Stay: December, 2014 - $34.00

Had to drive from campground to convenience store for check in. Should had been on web site and told when I called. No escort to site. Sewer pipe broken with a plastic bag stuck in opening. Catered to long term units. All the long term traffic has to go through what few sites there was. Couldn't rest past 6 a.m. for the noise. Interior road very rough and pot holes. Little upkeep noticeable. Did not meet what I felt KOA standards. Would not suggest this place to anyone. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

docj

Date of Stay: May, 2014 - $41.00

There's nothing wrong with this park that some decent maintenance couldn't fix. The park is convenient to the interstate and easy enough to get around but the asphalt roads are crumbling as are the concrete strips that serve as parking pads. Rather than doing anything to repair the roads it appears that gravel has been haphazardly scattered around the site as if that is a solution. I'm not sure what park the previous favorable reviews were written about; it sure wasn't this one. It could be a decent park but that requires that it be maintained; currently it does not appear that the owners care about maintaining it. Verizon 4G signal was fine; there are tall trees, but we had no trouble getting a satellite signal. There is a small off leash dog run. One strange aspect of the park is the fact that the pull-throughs require you to pull through an unused site "behind" yours. Supposedly, they leave that site empty until someone is occupying the pull-through, but it does mean that someone could fill it while you are there thereby making it impossible for you to re-connect your toad, etc. It's obviously a work-around resulting from the fact that they don't really have pull-through sites. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Phil from Akron

Date of Stay: March, 2014 - $40.00

We arrived late at night and had to walk across a street and a parking lot to check in at the convenience store next to a bar. The site was a full hookup site and nicely level with a concrete pad for us to step onto from the rig. It was quiet and the facilities were very nice and clean. Interior roads were a little rough, but we did not have any trouble maneuvering. Other than the price, we were happy with our experience and it was perfect for one night. Also easy to get on and off I-77. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

LarryJohnston

Date of Stay: October, 2013 - $40.00

A nice clean park near the Interstate, but without the noise. October visitors can enjoy a fairly sophisticated Halloween adventure adjoining the campground. With campground street names like Spooky Lane and Monster Way, it is obvious the owners are committed to the holiday. Very enjoyable. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

nautifish

Date of Stay: June, 2013 - $43.00

The good: They have just finished new routing into the park, which is still confusing, but do able. When you see the big KOA sign, notice the small sign on the top of it that directs you to the next drive way just after the Valero gas station. They now have a small mobile office for check in on the gravel driveway. Host was very sweet, welcoming, and directed us to the site. The bad: This park has sold itself out so many times it is now a hap hazard mess. Sold out to the permanent campers in the back, sold out to the Valero gas station which takes up the front entrance, and big time sold out to the Publix grocery store. The pool area (which we did not even see until we left), is across the parking lot and makes it look like it belongs to another property. The campground was cut diagonally and sliced up. The interior roads are horrible and full of pot holes and pits. The bath house was extremely dated and had five shower stalls of which only one worked and was not clean. We were placed in a pull through that was a double ender, narrow with your neighbor almost on top of you, and was really just a gravel parking lot with weeds. State parks we have stayed at are luxurious compared to this place and half the price. Won't stay here again. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Vettesniper

Date of Stay: June, 2013 - $45.00

Our first stay in a KOA park. Very impressive, clean, big rig friendly, great staff. Brand new Publix supermarket next door is very convenient, and you can't beat their fresh fried chicken! One issue that is in no way KOA's fault is the off ramp of I-77 if your are traveling southbound...it is horrible! It is a double, right turn at the bottom of the ramp with these four foot tall reflective pole lane markers in between the two lanes that prevent you from swinging wide to make the turn. There is no way to make this corner without running over the markers if you are in the outside lane or running up over the curb if you are on the inside. If you are in the inside lane be very careful as there is a utility pole located very close to the edge of the curbing!!! We were in a 45' MH towing a 24' Featherlite race trailer...it was not a very nice way to end our day. What the heck was NC DOT thinking? Did I mention the Publix had really good fried chicken? We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Starman66

Date of Stay: April, 2013 - $35.00

I agree totally with the two previous reviewers! We arrived after dark and in a driving rain storm. We were soaked by the time we hiked to the office in the gas station. The roads in the park are very rough and poorly lighted for identification. We would not stay there again. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Motorcycle Jack

Date of Stay: March, 2013 - $35.00

DO NOT STAY HERE! It has become a trash hole, hard to get into and sites are small. We told them we need a spot for a 40' 5th and we were given one that our back end is in the brush and the front is just off the road. The first thing you see when pulling in is NO OFFICE, it's in the Valero gas station 100 yards back. And the first two trailers are home made with trash all around them. KOA should drop this kampground - it's the WORST KOA we've ever stayed in and not up to KOA standards. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

sueanded

Date of Stay: November, 2012 - $35.00

Ditto from previous rater. This place is downright dangerous. We have stayed here every year for 5 years on our way south but probably won't be back. The Publix supermarket directly next door has built a driveway through the KOA entrance. You need to pull way in past that driveway and walk a long way back to the office to register. I felt so sorry for older/disabled people. You can no longer access the fuel pumps with a big rig because the driveway directly in front has been blocked off for a sidewalk. I wouldn't be surprised if this KOA is closed within a year. Someone is going to get hurt here. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

youngones

Date of Stay: October, 2012 - $38.00

We have stayed here before but things have changed and not for the good. The camp ground gave access to the new Publix store and there is a road into the store. It makes for a lot of traffic. The gas pumps are no longer accessible from the road which makes it hard getting into. To get to the office you must cross the road to the store which has a stop sign but not many people stop for it. It is downright dangerous. We are here during the opening of this store and things are not good. Traffic is awful!! This will no longer be a stop for us it's too dangerous. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

A Chevalier

Date of Stay: September, 2012 - $38.00

I made the reservation just before arriving- no issues. There is a lot of construction going on in the front due to a new grocery store being built. I was a little concerned about that. You have to check in at the gas station out front. That was a bit confusing. The staff was very friendly. I travel alone with my dog, and they had an employee lead me to my site and help me park, which was awesome! The campground was relatively empty. I had a site near the front, and was not bothered by the construction. WiFi and cable all worked well. I noticed no fire rings near any of the sites, which was a little annoying. Other campers were friendly. Some of the seasonal sites needed some TLC, but overall I was satisfied with the stay. The campground offers weekend events for families; however, there is no lake and there isn't much around since that park of Fort Mill is more residential. I enjoyed a little R&R trip, and would go back again. It is a good location for Carowinds, race track, etc. I live in Charlotte and was pleased with the location. I would go here again. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA?