Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA

Recent Rate: $44 9/2016

Latitude: 35.061617419417
Longitude: -80.965204238892

• Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $44.00

This was an overnight stop for us at the beginning of a 45 day road trip. We had a pull-thru site that was upgraded to a deluxe (concrete pad and patio), full hook-ups and cable. I prefer to use my own Verizon jet-pack for my wi-fi. The park appeared to be clean and at Halloween it is apparently a spooky park with haunted houses etc. Check-in is kinda weird as you park in the campground and then walk back to a Valero gas station to register. No yellow shirts are seen in the campground. The gas station shares its facilities with a bar and a liquor store. There were no incidents while we were there and I would stay again for an overnight stop. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Concrete, Gravel

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $40.00

As many campers have said the entrance is confusing at best. If you miss it and have a large rig it's really a hassle. Registration office is shut down so you have to go to the gas station/convenience store to check in. This requires parking at the KOA (plenty of room) and walking to the gas station. Employee did not seem to like his job. Site was level and easy to get in and out. We asked for pull thru so were give two sites since they don't have any real pull-thrus. There's a road through the camp which is pretty busy. The street names are creepy. Scary Lane, Scream Street, etc. The gas station/office has a liquor store on one end and a bar on the other (people sit outside). There's a Publix market nearby which is great. The restrooms/showers were closed. We weren't told this when making the reservation. Wifi & cable was OK. Wouldn't stay more than overnight or stay again. Just too weird. I wouldn't recommend for folks with kids. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Other

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $43.00

Signage is confusing. Don't turn where the sign is, its the next turn. Sign in at the Valero after hours (1930). No yellow shirts here. Given a map to go find our site. Directly on the flight path to nearby Charlotte airport. Mostly uneven gravel sites except a few concrete pads. The Wi-Fi is nonexistent. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $43.00

Stayed overnight found everything to be fine, check in was a little tight in the lot since you check in at the convenience store out front but other than that it was great. Gas station and convenience store out front with a liquor store on one side and a bar on the other that are part of the campground. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Perfect location and quick on and off of I-77

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $41.00

First stay at a KOA and frankly, I was disappointed. We have stayed in nicer parks in major cities for much less. Security man/car drove around, but obviously didn't check sites; we had a HUGE pile of dog poop in the middle of our site and picked up 1/2 bag of garbage from our site and adjoining one. Sites were fairly level, but WiFi was a joke. It had been raining and the potholes were really noticeable. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $43.00

The other comments concerning the entrance is something to be aware of. It's a little confusing but we had no problem getting and out with our 40' motorhome. The sites are dirt and tight but we had enough room to extend our awning. Some sites are only 30 amps so request a 50 amp early if you desire one. The utilities and Wi-Fi worked well and the host is friendly. The pool was clean as was the park. There was a lot of barking dogs which we found annoying. We would stay here again if needed. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Only a few miles from Carowinds Theme Park.

Date of Stay: April, 2016 - $40.00

Great location, very convenient for visiting Carowinds. Tent sites are kinda isolated from the RV sites but gives plenty of space to make camp in some shaded areas. Tent sites only have power with water nearby but RV sites looked to have full hook up. Overall the campground was maintained and nice. The pool looks new and is clean but the playground was dismantled and looked like it had been that way for a while. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Tent.

Carowinds theme park. We also visited downtown Charlotte, NC and enjoyed it.

Date of Stay: November, 2015 - $40.00

Had a flat, level, pull-thru cement site w/good electric, water and sewer connections. Park was clean and appears to be well kept. Halloween party was noisy but not unexpected. Staff at check-in/check-out were pleasant, friendly, and know how to smile. Close to shopping and restaurants. Have stayed her before and will do so again. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $42.00

I read all the "bad" reports about this KOA. I always like to check for my self. I am glad I did. It is a FINE KOA.

One grumbling camper stated it was difficult to find the entrance. Well! Duh! If you read well, the sign clearly states NEXT right. Where the sign located , is at the entrance to Publix Grocery store. And when you turn the corner and see the sign for the first time, read the whole sign and you will not have any trouble.

2nd grumble, the roads are bad... No they are not. They are fine for a campground, our site is level and clean, with a concrete pad. Nothing is run down. We were greeted in the small ( sort of like a trailer) office, by a very nice gentleman who walked with me to two different sites and let me choose which I'd like better. Everything was done efficiently and properly . We reserved a pull through, that's what we got, and the gentleman even helped us square up our rig. I am so glad we decided to ignore the nasty reviews this KOA got in the late spring.... Our host was dressed very smartly too in dress slacks and a bright Yellow KOA shirt. I highly recommend this KOA. By the way... The pool IS open too.. One last comment. We arrived 1 hour ago, and already we are pleased with everything. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Concrete, Gravel, Grass

Publix grocery within walking distance.

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $42.00

Our family has enjoyed this campground for many years but no more as the campground quality has significantly declined over the last couple years. KOA should remove this campground from their system as it no meets the standards expected from a KOA. What once was a clean, well maintained, family friendly campground is no more. The jumping pillow and mini-golf have been removed. The playground was unavailable and the pool was closed for renovation but appears to have been "under construction" for quite some time now. Upon entering you are told to go to a new office but a sign there redirects you back across a parking lot to a store to register. An escort to your site is no longer provided. Our site was listed as a back-in site but due to the reconfiguration of the campground to intersect a number of sites in the front with a chain link fence, it would have been impossible to back my motorhome into the site if required. Fortunately no one was on the adjacent site and I was able to pull through (many of the sites are listed as pull-through but become back-in if campers are placed on both the front and rear of the site). The lack of another camper in the adjacent site was also fortunate since the water bib did not work at our site and I had to run an extra length of water hose across my site to use the water at the other site. The site was also littered with cigarette butts. My wife used the restrooms during a peak demand time in the motorhome and found them clean but also discovered that three of the five showers didn't work. Cable TV worked well but Time Warner is switching many of their channels to digital and you will soon need an adapter to view them. We didn't use much of the free Wi-Fi but performance was acceptable. Overall, we were very disappointed in our experience this time and will visit another nearby campground on our next visit to the area. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $45.00

Pay attention to the one entrance sign if you're coming from the interstate. It advises to take the second turn. If you're coming from the opposite direction you would have to know where the turn is otherwise you'll be past it by the time you recognize the turn. After entering, the roads quickly go from good to poor. If you stop at the little building on the left that appears to be the check-in location you are then greeted with a sign on the door that says "closed" and to check-in at the

adjoining convenience store/bar. You'll have to walk about a block to get there as there is not a big rig friendly parking lot. Upon arriving at the store/bar I had to wait while the one employee finished her conversation on the phone and conducted convenience store business. Once I was attended to (with several people waiting behind me to check in) I

had to go through the whole check-in routine with name rank and serial number even though I was preregistered online and I am a VK card VIP card holder and even though my reservation print out was staring them in the face on the counter

in front of them. I could read it myself upside down!

We were staying over a week so I asked if all the charges included all the discounts and I was assured it did. I had also reserved a concrete Premier pull-through. What I got was an unlevel, gravel "shared" pull-through. I was also supposed to get a $10 day on the weekend which I didn't get until I pointed

out later that it wasn't deducted and was told it was because I was on a gravel pull-through and not one of their "premier" sites...I won't even go there....

The WiFi was totally non-functional. If you were "lucky" enough to get connected it didn't stay that way for long. It was useless.

You are not provided with an escort to guide you to your site. You're on your own to figure it out. We had to stop a race cart driver (park employee) and ask him how to get to our site. He didn't volunteer to guide us either. He was apparently too busy. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2015 - $42.00

The park needed some work, but the lots were small more like a parking lot, close together, just enough room between units for picnic table. At check in you had to walk to a convenience store to check in. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Concrete, Gravel

Stores and eating placed within 2 to 3 miles

Date of Stay: March, 2015 - $42.00

The reviews on this campground were not the best for a KOA but we decided to stay anyway. We only had 30 amp, water pressure was OK, site was level, easy to get around with MH and toad. Now for the rest of the story. An older couple pulled in with a class C. The lady got out and started to hook up, the older gentleman had trouble walking and then a young man from the KOA came by and did all the work getting them ready for the night. This was just something I never saw in all my years of traveling. A special thanks to this young man and this KOA. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

site 113

Date of Stay: December, 2014 - $34.00

Had to drive from campground to convenience store for check in. Should had been on web site and told when I called. No escort to site. Sewer pipe broken with a plastic bag stuck in opening. Catered to long term units. All the long term traffic has to go through what few sites there was. Couldn't rest past 6 a.m. for the noise. Interior road very rough and pot holes. Little upkeep noticeable. Did not meet what I felt KOA standards. Would not suggest this place to anyone. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: May, 2014 - $41.00

There's nothing wrong with this park that some decent maintenance couldn't fix. The park is convenient to the interstate and easy enough to get around but the asphalt roads are crumbling as are the concrete strips that serve as parking pads. Rather than doing anything to repair the roads it appears that gravel has been haphazardly scattered around the site as if that is a solution. I'm not sure what park the previous favorable reviews were written about; it sure wasn't this one. It could be a decent park but that requires that it be maintained; currently it does not appear that the owners care about maintaining it. Verizon 4G signal was fine; there are tall trees, but we had no trouble getting a satellite signal. There is a small off leash dog run. One strange aspect of the park is the fact that the pull-throughs require you to pull through an unused site "behind" yours. Supposedly, they leave that site empty until someone is occupying the pull-through, but it does mean that someone could fill it while you are there thereby making it impossible for you to re-connect your toad, etc. It's obviously a work-around resulting from the fact that they don't really have pull-through sites. We camped at Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Charlotte / Fort Mill KOA?