Hill City, South Dakota

• Billiards Billiards yes
  • Ping Pong Ping Pong yes
  • Water Park Water Park yes

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $84.00

A large and tidy resort with lots of activities on-site. Great for families looking for a place that has everything on premises. The staff were friendly and helpful. All this comes at a price, our daily rate included the $10 "resort" fee and also $3 for each of our 2 dogs. However, a huge negative is the lack of on-site connectivity - the cell signal is weak, drops out most of the time, and the wi-fi is just about nonexistent. Might be OK if you are just on the road for a few days, but for extended travel we need either a cell signal or wi-fi for our typical on the road stuff ... personal finances, route planning, monitoring security at our residence, etc. Hauling a brief case and mobile printer several miles up the road to find a stronger cell signal is unacceptable ... the worst connected campground we've stayed at in probably the last 4-5 years! Both of these items could be addressed with infrastructure - a cell signal booster and an upgraded internet service - rather than laugh it off, saying "we're remote, this is the best we can do". Other campgrounds have found solutions, it just requires an investment ... KOA charges enough for this place! One final point, be careful of visiting if you have anyone in your party with respiratory issues, the smoke from the evening camp fires does not naturally clear very quickly, hanging in the bowl-type valley, causing many hours of distress. We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $70.00

Repeating some of what others have said: The park is HUGE with lots of activities going on. There is never lack of something to do. Two pools, one adult only. Stores and restaurants on site. Restaurant was not bad... not the best I've ever had, but not bad. My site was a back-in close to the kids play area, but the noise was never too bad... it kind of blended in with the surroundings. My site was very large with a lot of grass on both sides and behind. Some of them were pretty close together, though. Fenced in dog park that needs a little care like filling in the cracks and holes, I thought my dog tore up her knee once. Staff was very friendly, everyone I interacted with was friendly and knowledgeable. Someone was always driving around cleaning or picking up. I was close to one of the bathrooms and it seemed like a crew came by 3 or 4 times a day to clean them. Car rental on site... I paid 70 bucks for a day for a car with 110,000 miles on it, but it was clean and drove well. Rental guy was good about providing directions and advising on points of interest. They do charge $3 a day per dog. There is also a $10 per day resort fee. I get that running a place like this requires a lot, but just add it to the cost of a site and don't throw in all the add-ons. I didn't use many of the "resort" features, but still had to pay 10 bucks a day over the price to stay there. Don't know about other carriers, but there is NO Verizon signal here, except when I would be out walking my dog I would walk through somewhere that got enough of a signal a test might come through. No cable TV (at least at my site) and no antenna reception. Phone and TV are not their fault and are not counted in this review, just mentioned. It was actually quite nice having no phone or TV for a few days. Wifi was available but was achingly slow. All in all, a great place, especially if you have kids, and I would stay there again. We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $90.00

We enjoyed or week-long stay here! An absolutely HUGE resort. Pros and cons to being so big. Lots to do at the resort, but lots of people here too! Our site #602 was away from the main area, so it was a little quieter. Sites are spaced fairly close together, but still enough room for awnings, etc. Huge variety of sites to pick from, and I recommend calling the resort to make reservations so you can pick the site or least the area you want to camp. (Locking in a site costs an additional $10) Lots of neat specialty stores on site, but beware you will pay higher resort prices for the same things you can find in Keystone. 2 big pools with hot tubs. One pool is "adults only" after 8pm. A nice touch! Good restaurant and an outdoor bar! If you can, reserve a Chuckwagon Dinner/Show through The Stables. Was a ton of fun! We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Travel Trailer.

So much to do in the Black Hills! Get a visitor guide before you go! One cool thing we did was visit Sylvan Lake. Absolutely beautiful! And you can hike to the spot where they filmed scenes from National Treasure 2!

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $80.00

Very active park with lots of kid activities. RV sites are gravel and nothing special. But we were there with our 10 and 13 year old granddaughters. They loved the climbing wall, bike riding, jumping pad, horseback riding, miniature golf, and special daily crafts. Very short distance to Mt Rushmore. Park was clean and well managed. A lot of employees were summer hire college kids who were enthusiastic and fun. We had a great time We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Motorhome.

Well stocked camp store. Onsite restaurant, bar, ice cream parlor, and coffee expresso bar

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $71.00

This is a very nice park. Very well maintained and clean. The staff were very nice and accommodating! There is all kinds of things to do at this park and a lot of things to do near the park. They have horseback riding, UTVs, you can rent cars, they have a pool, fishing area, a very nice store, and a couple places to eat while in the park. The sites are a little close, but nice. I would recommend staying here. We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $70.00

This campground is a resort, but be ready to pay not just the regular fee but a 10 resort fee. Do they think their the Marriot? Koa is slowly pricing themselves out of business. We could of stayed at a hotel with a hot buffet breakfast for 10 more. If you don't mind paying hotel prices, then this is the place to stay. Clean showers, small dog park (good for little dogs), nice trails to walk, great play area for kids, 2 pools, and snack shop. Close to Mt. Rushmore too. We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Motorhome.

d-127

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $86.00

This park was beautiful. We upgraded to the more expensive site so we could have more room between campers and access to the gas grill on site. We paid about 20$ more a night than the lodge was charging and all in all I am not sure it was worth the upgrade. The pad itself was gravel but these sites did have a concrete patio. The WIFI was almost non existent so if that's important to u don't stay here. We didn't get service until about 10 minutes away. That being said there is a restaurant on site with ok food, pizza and ice cream but that was shut down for repairs and the coffee shop was quaint with gas fire around the outside tables. The store seemed well stocked but the firewood was kind of high ($). The campers were all mostly friendly, some not so much but the views were beautiful and the grounds were kept well with pretty green grass. They had places for kids to play and the place seemed to be mostly efficient. However, when we were ready to leave we were completely out of LP gas and had to wait 45 minutes for someone from service to come help us get that. We had a 7 or more hour drive ahead of us that first day home and 45 minutes really cuts into that. We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Motorhome.

Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, soooo much. Plan on at least 6 days.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $80.00

The Mount Rushmore KOA is huge, and it has a ton of features. But, it's also VERY expensive and far from perfect. Thunderstorms cause big puddles and lots of mud in the roads and in the RV sites. There is no cell service of any type. The limited WiFi service is just around certain buildings and didn't work at all for me. "Oh, it never works for iPhones," was the explanation I got from a staff member. But other campers with Google phones had the same complaint as me. If your WiFi service doesn't work for the popular brands: then perhaps you shouldn't advertise as having Wifi.

Also, they close the pools during thunderstorms: a reasonable precaution. However, I was told they open the pools back up 30 min after the last lightening strike. After 60 minutes, we gave up. Finally, people were smoking in the kid play areas. There is no sign prohibiting that, so I didn't feel I could say anything, but I certainly don't like it.

Also, many RVs were crammed into sites too small for both the trailer and tow vehicle. I had to park at an angle and partly on the grass. Many people had their trucks partially in the roadway. Considering that I paid $80/night (including a $10 "resort fee"), I was sorely disappointed. I wouldn't stay here again. Frankly, any hotel or campground that charges a resort fee cannot be trusted. We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Travel Trailer.

30 Amp sec B
Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Go early to Mt Rushmore. The crowds are greatly reduced if you arrive by 8am.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $90.00

This is the largest, nicest KOA we have ever stayed in. Over 600 sites but each site was spacious. Tons of amenities for all ages. This was like an amusement park for our kids...they were dead exhausted each night. Very helpful staff that did not nitpick you on everything. We only stayed here 2 nights on our way to Yellowstone but now want to come back and make it a destination. Only negatives I would give it is the lack of Internet/TV/cell service and the water retention in our spot after it rained. We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Jefferson

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $75.00

This was by far the best KOA we have ever stayed at! There is so much to do for families and it's close to all the attractions. The restrooms are outstanding, as are the shower rooms, which were very private with a locked door to each shower stall.

The staff was also very friendly and very informative. They could not help you enough. We decided to leave early and we were not charged for the day we had reserved and did not use. I highly recommend this KOA to anyone, especially families. We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Must see Crazy Horse monument

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $73.00

This campground has so much going on it's rather overwhelming! The amenities and location are fabulous, and our family loved the giant games and pools. However, on our month-long road trip this KOA wins the dubious award of having the dirtiest bathrooms we saw. The actual buildings are very nice, obviously recently built or remodeled but there is very high usage and the bathrooms and showers were trashed. Having the bathrooms cleaned a few times a day rather than once would solve this problem. We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Tent Trailer.

Gravel, Dirt, Grass
Just long enough for my tent trailer

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $75.00

The amenities at this KOA are awesome. This is one of those campgrounds that you can go to and never leave because of all the things they have to offer, good restaurant, coffee shop, wine shop, bar, pizza and ice cream parlor, horse back riding, UTV rentals on site, etc. I could go on and on. The staff has this park running like a top, one staff member was a little grouchy but one person could not sway my opinion. The sites are a little tight, they definitely pack them in. The proximity to all the attractions in the black hills is perfect, and the views are breath taking. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anyone going to the black hills. We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Mt. Rushmore, Crazy horse, hill city, keystone, Custer park, etc.

Date of Stay: October, 2015 - $43.00

Although we're not fans of KOAs, coming in late in the season meant that some parks were closed and others had shut off their water, so this was really our only choice. Boy, did we regret it! The front office help was unfriendly, almost surly. This is promoted as a luxury park with many activities and amenities, but they really need to pay more attention to their RV sites. The roads and pads in the park are paved with decomposed granite, which when it rains becomes mud. What a mess! Plus there is virtually NO cell signal and their wifi was sketchy at best, not working most of the time. We were so miserable there that we left after one night, even though we had paid for two. I think that tells the whole story. We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $67.00

This KOA is a very nice campground and in a very convenient location. Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park are just a stones throw away. On the bad side there are numerous activities at the campground and you will be charged for them whether you use them or not. They added on $10 for site selection. They then added on $20 for activities. Use of pool, bouncy thing, and other useless stuff. Convient for kids but if you are not traveling with kids it is not fair.

The staff was very nice and refunded $30 after complaining a little. We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Pull Thru site

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $93.00

A great park with so many amenities that we delayed our visit to Mount Rushmore in order to swim longer in one of the two pools, play on the basketball court and take in a quick round of mini golf. The only reason we didn't give it a 10 is because the WiFi never worked the entire time we were there, even in the recommended hot spot areas, and because the rate was so high. We realized that it was probably high because it was Sturgis week and sites were at a premium. Our site had a picnic table and gravel but if you reserve one of the premium sites, they look wonderful, with really nice outdoor metal furniture and concrete patios. We camped at Mount Rushmore KOA in a Motorhome.

Mount Rushmore is very close but there is so much to do at this campground you may not leave. A great place for families and groups with kids because there is so much for them to do.

Are you affiliated with Mount Rushmore KOA ?