Tower Campground

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Army Guy

Nice park, easy access to our site, with large asphalt pads on the new side. Cable provided. A lot of shade trees make for nice a cool site but do hinder satellite reception. The work Campers had a lot of information to share and were very friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay here again. We camped at Tower Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

bluesnugs

There is new section of the park and an old section – my comments and review is for the new section only. I have struggled with this review to make sure I am being unbiased. I lived in Sioux Falls when this park was the trashiest of trashy trailer parks. I saw it improved under a long term manager-couple to a very nice park (the older part of the park is not as nice). I no longer live in Sioux Falls but return often. In the past 2 years, I have spent 100+ nights here. Since 2013, the long term manager #1 is gone, his replacement #2 is gone, and we are on #3. The park has steadily declined. The park is owned by a major automotive dealer. So understanding of RV business is limited, necessitating an experienced park manager. The park is located conveniently for the Sioux Falls area, on I-29 a few miles south of I-90. There is road noise from the interstate and the airport is near. The entrance is challenging unless you can handle a u-turn, so you will want to see the instructions on the website and go around the block through a nearby subdivision. When you pull in, there is a rise in the drive where you will drag bottom, so take it easy. My first impression was hand written signs taped to the door with things underlined and exclamation points – a real turn off. The woman that was working when I checked in was difficult to deal with and not customer focused. Seemed to enjoy saying no to simple requests when yes would have been just as easy. The interior roads (new section) and most pads are level and paved/asphalt. Most of the pads are directly back to back and we have found ourselves parked within a foot of the guy behind. A few of the pads have one unit behind the other and the front person has to move out in order for the back person to leave. I don’t know why anyone would design an RV park like that except to slide in a few extra sites. They sure don’t get that it’s inconvenient to move an RV. Not all the sites have picnic tables. All are full hookup, and the electric service and cable work pretty well. The bathrooms were OK on some days and pretty dirty on others. Wi-Fi is a joke – you can sign on but no throughput. Many lampposts are broken. There are many mature trees with dead limbs – a lawsuit waiting to happen if one falls on a kid or a million dollar motor home. When a storm picks up, you sleep with one eye open for sure. The park is full of long term campers – a lot of construction workers and their families. Every trailer has a tow vehicle, a car, and a work truck it seems. As a result, there are vehicles parked everywhere. There are lots of small children so you really need to take special precautions when driving as all these vehicles severely restrict your vision when they are running and playing, The neighborhood is not the best – c-stores, casinos, congested manufactured homes, and a pretty awful trailer park across the road. The good news is the road (12th street) is so busy, you don’t get much foot traffic from that side of the street. There is a seedy motel that is part of the property. The playground is next to this motel. The website show photos of a laundry room that does not resemble the laundry room on site. The website also shows a “gathering room” for socializing that I have never seen nor I have I heard of anyone using. When I tried to reserve a site in the new area, away from the motel, and not one of those where you have to move your rig to let people out, I was told the sites are assigned first come first served. I arrived early so I could get a good site but then was told I couldn’t have one of the many nice vacant sites, I could only have the one they assigned me (the worst one in the place). So, I don’t know what the policy is. I was dealing with the cranky lady in the office, so it could have just been one of her bad days. There is a playground, but I indicated this is not a kid-friendly place. The reason is because there is not enough space for the kids – I watched a couple dozen kids under 12 trying to share two swings and a slide. The playground has mature trees with no room to toss a ball. Instead, they play ball and ride their bikes in the street. The kids are pretty good and the parents are around, but a ball is going to bounce off a car or RV every now and then. Will I return? Not if I can help it. We camped at Tower Campground in a Motorhome.

NaniGulfShores

This is nothing more than a parking lot. Units are parked so close that there is barely room for a picnic table. We were parked between two run down permanent trailers. One had plastic covering the roof and a bungee cord to keep the door closed. We stayed inside as there was nothing outside to see except dust and gravel. There was a small grass area that was a combination playground and pet area. We also saw a port-a-john but did not know why it was there. The cable tv did not work and neither did the wi-fi. I would not stay there again. We camped at Tower Campground in a Motorhome.

Rambotbm

We are sorry to give this a low rating since the park itself isn't horrible. But the traffic and airplane noise is way way too much for anyone who is a light sleeper (which we are). This was pretty much one of the noisiest places we have ever stayed. Right up there with a park off of 101 in California and a park by LAX. Wi-fi is sporadic. The bathrooms were actually very clean. We were surprised since there are so many permanent residents with lots of stuff around their units. We will not return due the noise! We camped at Tower Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Kelly and Sandra

Difficult access because of traffic patterns. Park in need of some serious updates. Would not return. Too many permanent residents with little restrictions make this RV park not friendly and ugly. We camped at Tower Campground in a Motorhome.

Myrt & Gordy

This park has nice paved roads and pads with grass and a picnic table. The pad was level and fairly wide. I was told quite curtly that the only pull-throughs they had were in the old section and I could have that if I wanted dirt and tight trees. With a large 5th wheel we had a difficult time backing into the site that was shared with another right behind us--about 7 feet. The road was very narrow. We had no choice but to un-hitch as the space was too short. Parking was provided next to the pad. Most of the sites have permanent residents and at 7 AM all the trucks start up and people leave for work. There are few overnight sites available. Call ahead! The laundry is nice and clean but not all machines work all the time. Management is aware of the problem but have not fixed it. I did not use the restrooms. We followed the directions on the web site, which tell you to make a U-turn but we were too big and had to go around the block, so access is not easy. The park is located right next to the noisy freeway which makes being outdoors very unpleasant. Utilities worked well and the Internet worked occasionally. We camped at Tower Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

snrstang

Great campground in the city. Highway noise didn't bother us at all. Modern and clean bathrooms. Paved sites, and the best cable TV we have ever had. Staff was friendly and helpful, and after the hail storm was out in force cleaning up the campgrounds. We will be back, next time we are in the area. We camped at Tower Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

tomnnva

Very conveniently located to Alternative Resources, for those of you becoming SD residence. The owner is a great guy, helpful and friendly. There is a caveat though if you are traveling North or South on I-29, you have to make a U turn on a city street to come back to the RV park. Call ahead and the owner will tell you how to do it. We we are 43', he told us how to do it. We will return to this very nice campground. We camped at Tower Campground in a Motorhome.

pdq

We liked this park and will certainly return. Nice large grassy site, pad is gravel, level, park is very clean. We did use not toilets nor showers. All connectors at the site are in good working condition. Park is well maintained, managers very helpful & friendly. There is 50 amp, good Wi-Fi, play area for kids. As for location, the park has excellent proximity to the city. Did hear some road noise (to be expected as the I-29 is right next to the park). There is no dedicated dog area, but lots of grass. There’s an excellent off-leash dog park near by (Spencer park at 3501 South Cliff Ave.) We camped at Tower Campground in a Motorhome.

usandallthesekids

Since the long term managers are not returning in 2014 we will not be back. They took the park from trailer trash to luxury RVing as only RVers could do. The new managers, on the other hand have really ruined the place. If you want customer service I recommend the KOA or Walmart over this campground. The Wifi is horrendous on a good day. We camped at Tower Campground in a Travel Trailer.

witchey1

The campgrounds was very easy to find, right off I-29. We were given explicit directions regarding turning at the light and going around the block since we were coming in from a direction which put us on the opposite side of the road medium. The office was closed when we arrived but the managers were on site and met us in less than 5 minutes. The managers were friendly, informative and presented good 'people' skills. We stayed 2 nights. The park was clean and well maintained. We did not notice a lot of traffic noise. The location was great and we were provided with great directions and area map. They are pet friendly and clean in this aspect. We plan to return in warmer weather. We camped at Tower Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Newbet

This campground has been improving every single year. Beginning as a very small RV park and trailer park, it is now a lovely RV Park. The new area is well spaced, has asphalt pads and paged roads. It is very conveniently located and the managers are wonderful. I am happy to recommend this park as the best choice in Sioux Falls. When they add their dog park, I'll be happy to make them a "10." We camped at Tower Campground in a Motorhome.

bluesnugs

They have made many improvements to this campground this year. New restroom and shower house in part of the park, landscaping improved, new grass planted. They are working to improve the wifi as well. There is an older part of the park that has mostly long term campers and a few park models. The newer part of the park is the short term area where we stayed. The management is always available and very responsive. The location of the park, close to the exit on I29, is very convenient to the rest of Sioux Falls but does provide a little traffic noise from the Interstate. We camped at Tower Campground in a Motorhome.

swike

This campground would be a marvelous campground were it not so close to the interstate. The noise was constant and made it difficult to talk with someone outside. However, it is close to everything: shopping, Falls Park, and museums. Other than that, it was a clean, neat, well-maintained campground. The laundries were very clean as were the showers and bathrooms. Our asphalt pad was new and level, the hook-ups were convenient and cable was provided. We would return but would bring ear plugs next time. We camped at Tower Campground in a Motorhome.

MsLucy

Nice owners. Well run. Close to the Interstate, so lots of traffic noise but perfectly fine for an overnight stay. We camped at Tower Campground in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Tower Campground?